or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google-owned Nest to acquire connected security camera firm Dropcam for $555M

Google-owned Nest to acquire connected security camera firm Dropcam for $555M - Page 3

post #81 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

So lawsuits are evil now?

Lawsuits where Motorola demands excessive fees for standard-essential patents are pretty evil - Motorola has lost them all, and has been threatened with penalties by the European Union and the Justice Department over its tactics.

post #82 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post

Here's a partial list of Google owned technology companies, most producing products or services that "help" people. At worst, you could say Google is an adverting and technology company. One could make the argument that Google is more of a technology company than Apple. 

Alpental Technologies - Wireless Technology

Skybox ImagingSatellite Imaging firm

Quest Visual - Maker of the augmented reality translator app Word Lens

Stackdriver - Cloud computing

SlickLogin - Internet Security

ImpermiumInternet Security

Boston Dynamics - Robotics Company

Meka Robotics - Robotics Company

Redwood RoboticsRobotics Company

Industrial PerceptionRobotics Company

SCHAFT, Inc.Robotics Company

DeepMind Technologies - Artificial Intelligence company

FlutterHand gesture recognition technology

Waze - GPS navigation software

Makani Power - Airborne wind turbines

Wavii - Natural Language Processing

Talaria TechnologiesCloud computing

DNNresearch Inc.Deep Neural Networks

Viewdle - Facial recognition

QuickOffice Productivity suite

Global IP SolutionsWeb-based teleconferencing

PittPattFacial recognition

Mostly a waste of money, more like it. Look at google glass - you can call it a hardware product, but its purpose is first to gain publicity (it's not going to be profitable), and second to serve ads to those dumb enough to buy it.

post #83 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Mostly a waste of money, more like it. Look at google glass - you can call it a hardware product, but its purpose is first to gain publicity (it's not going to be profitable), and second to serve ads to those dumb enough to buy it.

Nope, no ads on Google Glass. Devs are banned from monetizing any user data too.

Section 2: Advertisements

No Ads. You may not serve or include any advertisements in your API Client.

Data Usage. You may not use user data from your API Client for advertising purposes. You may not sell or transmit any user data received from your API Client(s) to a third-party ad network or service, data broker, or other advertising or marketing provider. For the avoidance of doubt, user data from the API Client(s) may not be used for Third-Party Ad Serving ("3PAS").

http://mashable.com/2013/04/16/google-glass-no-ads/
melior diabolus quem scies
post #84 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Mostly a waste of money, more like it. Look at google glass - you can call it a hardware product, but its purpose is first to gain publicity (it's not going to be profitable)...

Many agencies are looking to buy Google Glass.

policeone.com

theverge.com

usatoday.com

US Air Force

Sports

All Around

Looks like you're wrong on two out of two counts.

post #85 of 154
Quote:

Many agencies are looking to buy Google Glass.

policeone.com
theverge.com
usatoday.com
US Air Force
Sports
All Around

Looks like you're wrong on two out of two counts.

Having interested buyers doesn't means it will be profitable.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #86 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Having interested buyers doesn't means it will be profitable.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

post #87 of 154
Quote:

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Well, Google doesn't have to let anyone know how profitable they are once released, either. My company has a dozen Glass units for which we're working on apps (though not my team). Our customer is planning to buy a metric assload.

post #88 of 154
Does anyone know of a cam similar to this that records to,your own computer. I don't want to spend a small fortune but I need the recorded video.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #89 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

Well, Google doesn't have to let anyone know how profitable they are once released, either. My company has a dozen Glass units for which we're working on apps (though not my team). Our customer is planning to buy a metric assload.

You're right, they don't have to let us know sales numbers but some projections are looking good.

Business Insider Slide Deck

Statista

If the military and law enforcement adopt this technology the sales numbers will explode. Sports teams, virtual tours, operating rooms - the applications are almost endless. Good luck to you!

post #90 of 154
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
PR backlash, probably.

That’s not an argument.

What is it exactly that you find scary?

Even living in a police state, you can comprehend why privacy is important.

Originally Posted by mistercow View Post

They may not have the infrastructure or the talent for it.  See Apple Maps.

So one example, despite the rest of their infrastructure and talent proving otherwise, is enough? Hardly.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #91 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

Oh my, this home security device was on my to buy shortlist.
Now it's dropped; I've had enough of Google  or any other facility spying on me.

Then it's time to disconnect the ethernet from your router and turn off the phone because outside of the that your not going to stop it.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #92 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Does anyone know of a cam similar to this that records to,your own computer. I don't want to spend a small fortune but I need the recorded video.

I have a little Logitech Broadcaster that I really like.

post #93 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So one example, despite the rest of their infrastructure and talent proving otherwise, is enough? Hardly.

Apple's talent is for hardware and the software specifically made for it, not services which is where data mining is most efficient.

Apple has been convicted of price fixing, anti poaching tactics, there was also a case previously about Apple saving GPS location data of users despite them saying they weren't. You're kidding yourself if you think morality is their top priority.

post #94 of 154

Apple has been convicted of price fixing, anti poaching tactics, there was also a case previously about Apple saving GPS location data of users despite them saying they weren't. You're kidding yourself if you think morality is their top priority.

You’re kidding yourself if you think this is the truth.

post #95 of 154
Quote:

That’s not an argument.
Sure it is. It's speculative, but no more than your blanket presumptions.
Quote:

You’re not this stupid. Even living in a police state, you can comprehend why privacy is important.
I certainly do. However that's not what you said you find scary. You said you find scary that some people think Apple would use mined data for profit. I can't understand what you would possibly find scary about that suspicion.

censored

censored

post #96 of 154
Quote:

Morality is Apple's TOP priority? You're living in a fantasy world.

censored

censored

post #97 of 154
Quote:

Morality is Apple's TOP priority? You're living in a fantasy world.

Where did he claim or insinuate morality is Apple's top priority?

post #98 of 154
Here:
Quote:

Quote:

You're kidding yourself if you think morality is their top priority.

censored

censored

post #99 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Nope, no ads on Google Glass. Devs are banned from monetizing any user data too.

Data Usage. You may not use user data from your API Client for advertising purposes. You may not sell or transmit any user data received from your API Client(s) to a third-party ad network or service, data broker, or other advertising or marketing provider. For the avoidance of doubt, user data from the API Client(s) may not be used for Third-Party Ad Serving ("3PAS").

Does Google get to monetize on users Data? Do they then sell user data to whoever will pay?

post #100 of 154
I just cancelled my account. Took a hit, as I had paid ahead of time, but I don't care. I had already felt uncomfortable about my footage sitting in the cloud somewhere, but no WAY do I want google having access to that.

I'll find a new setup and maybe even store footage locally. Either way, Dropcam is toast for me now.

I'll probably just toss it, but maybe I'll take it apart for parts first.
post #101 of 154
So has anybody made a study of these damn ChromeBooks? How many of their webcams and mikes are always-on and/or controllable from the web side?
post #102 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulvee View Post

I just cancelled my account. Took a hit, as I had paid ahead of time, but I don't care. I had already felt uncomfortable about my footage sitting in the cloud somewhere, but no WAY do I want google having access to that.

I'll find a new setup and maybe even store footage locally. Either way, Dropcam is toast for me now.

I'll probably just toss it, but maybe I'll take it apart for parts first.

A little premature since the sale hasn't yet finalized so even Nest doesn't own them, much less Google.
post #103 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splif View Post

Do they then sell user data to whoever will pay?
No Google does not sell user data to whoever will pay.
post #104 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

So has anybody made a study of these damn ChromeBooks? How many of their webcams and mikes are always-on and/or controllable from the web side?

As far as I know it's not different from any other Windows or Mac computer. The user has to open the service.
post #105 of 154
Quote:

This is a policy for 3rd party apps.  Where does it say Google itself may not serve Ads?

post #106 of 154
Here:

Nice job reading only what you wanted to read. Still waiting for the proof of your original claims, I guess.

post #107 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

This is a policy for 3rd party apps.  Where does it say Google itself may not serve Ads?

IIRC Google reinterated just a couple weeks ago that both Google Glass and Nest would be ad-free. If you have doubts about the accuracy you should look into it for yourself.
post #108 of 154
Quote:

You're right, they don't have to let us know sales numbers but some projections are looking good.

Business Insider Slide Deck
Statista

If the military and law enforcement adopt this technology the sales numbers will explode. Sports teams, virtual tours, operating rooms - the applications are almost endless. Good luck to you!

Projections? So what are netbook projections prior to the iPad. Didn't Creepy Eric project that Google TV will be on the majority of TVs sold by now?
Quote:

IIRC Google reinterated just a couple weeks ago that both Google Glass and Nest would be ad-free. If you have doubts about the accuracy you should look into it for yourself.

I totally trust Google. I trusted they would not bypass the "Do not track" settings in Safari.
post #109 of 154
Quote:

No Google does not sell user data to whoever will pay.

2. Gmail: prying and spying. This October, a federal judge refused to dismiss a potential class-action lawsuit brought by Gmail users who objected to its practice of analyzing the content of all the messages on its network and selling byproducts to advertisers. Those suing Google said it violated federal wiretap laws.

the rest of the article is here.

http://www.salon.com/2014/02/05/4_ways_google_is_destroying_privacy_and_collecting_your_data_partner/

post #110 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Projections? So what are netbook projections prior to the iPad. Didn't Creepy Eric project that Google TV will be on the majority of TVs sold by now? 

I did my part and posted links, how about you do the same for your claims.

post #111 of 154

I did my part and posted links, how about you do the same for your claims.

What claims? He said projections are meaningless because they are made by people who can’t even see their nose in their periphery, much less technology only a few years down the line.

Netbook projections were completely destroyed by the iPad. And now you’re claiming that projections for the sale of Google Glass–one of the most invasive pieces of technology ever made–are proof that it will do well.

post #112 of 154
Quote:

Netbook projections were completely destroyed by the iPad. And now you’re claiming that projections for the sale of Google Glass–one of the most invasive pieces of technology ever made–are proof that it will do well. 

Whoa - settle down Seabiscuit! All I  wrote was "some projections are looking good" - and they are. Never said this was proof of anything. I also said in another post that "we'll have to wait and see" - so relax! I guess in your world there has never been a projection that came even close to being correct. Two examples does not mean that all projections are crap.

Now, you just claimed that Google Glass is "the most invasive pieces of technology ever made." Any proof for that? Mine was speculative, yours is definitive.

post #113 of 154

All I  wrote was "some projections are looking good" - and they are.

And all he wrote was a historic proof that projections are meaningless. Come on.

Now, you just claimed that Google Glass is "the most invasive pieces of technology ever made."

One of.

post #114 of 154
Quote:

And all he wrote was a historic proof that projections are meaningless. Come on.

One of.

Not much more invasive than a smartphone.  And since the general consensus on these forums is that Apple changed the smartphone industry and made it popular and accessible, then I guess that means Apple is one of the largest contributors to the invasion of privacy.

post #115 of 154

Not much more invasive than a smartphone. 

As we all know, smartphones constantly track your eyes and have a camera on the world around them.

And since the general consensus on these forums is that Apple changed the smartphone industry and made it popular and accessible, then I guess that means Apple is one of the largest contributors to the invasion of privacy.

Only if you believe your false premise, that is.

post #116 of 154
Every company including Apple makes and uses projections. You know why? Because they are not meaningless! Come on!

Edited this post by mistake on my phone!
Edited by R2D2 - 6/22/14 at 2:00pm
post #117 of 154
Quote:

Not much more invasive than a smartphone.  And since the general consensus on these forums is that Apple changed the smartphone industry and made it popular and accessible, then I guess that means Apple is one of the largest contributors to the invasion of privacy.

This statement makes absolutely no sense. How?

I'll post this link again.

http://www.salon.com/2014/02/05/4_ways_google_is_destroying_privacy_and_collecting_your_data_partner/

post #118 of 154
Quote:

Nice job reading only what you wanted to read.
If I've read you wrong then please clarify. I've quoted your words.
Quote:

Still waiting for the proof of your original claims, I guess.
What original claim? That it is naive to assume Apple wouldn't mine data if they saw a net positive opportunity? That's not something I need to prove.

censored

censored

post #119 of 154
Every company including Apple makes and uses projections.

Now you’re just saying random things that have nothing to do with the argument.

That's not something I need to prove.

Okay! I’ll keep that in mind the next time you call out something I say.

post #120 of 154
Quote:
it will acquire Dropcam, makers of the eponymous Internet-connected smart home monitoring camera lineup

No. No. No. No.

You have it backwards.  The eponymous one is the one who provides the name, not the one named for something else.  In this instance, the camera is said to be sold by the eponymous company, Dropcam.

Refer to the NY Times grammarian:

http://afterdeadline.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/07/19/eponymous-sources/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

The word "eponymous" seems to almost always be employed by those who don't know how to use it, in an effort to seem more literate than they actually are.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google-owned Nest to acquire connected security camera firm Dropcam for $555M