or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google focuses on fashion with new Glass frames from designer Diane von Furstenberg

Google focuses on fashion with new Glass frames from designer Diane von Furstenberg

post #1 of 159
Fashion-conscious early adopters of Google's Glass hardware now have more stylish options for sporting the augmented reality headgear, as a series of frames designed in collaboration with fashion legend Diane von Furstenberg have been released by the search giant.

The collection consists of a single frame design offered in five different colors with a matched, detachable sunglass shade. Consumers can choose between shiny ink (charcoal frame with black shade), shiny lagoon (teal frame with blue shade), shiny elderberry (plum frame with bronze shade), matte java (brown frame with rose shade), and matte ice (white frame with green shade) sets.

Each of the $1,800 combinations -- shipping now from online fashion retailer Net-A-Porter and directly from Google --?is compatible with prescription eyeglass lenses and comes with a Google Glass module. Orders come with a five to seven day lead time.

The collaboration between Google and von Furstenberg is the Mountain View, Calif.-based company's first joint venture with a noted fashion brand and many believe the wrap dress icon's involvement is designed to bring a sense of "fashion street cred" to the bulky eyewear. Google has struck a similar partnership with fashion watch makers Fossil for its Android Wear smart watch platform.

Apple is thought to be considering fashion moves of its own for the highly anticipated -- though still unannounced -- "iWatch," with the iPhone maker bringing some high-powered fashion talent in-house in recent months.

Last summer, Apple hired Paul Deneve, formerly CEO of French fashion powerhouse YSL, as a "special advisor" to Apple chief Tim Cook. Then, in October, Burberry CEO Angela Ahrendts famously jumped ship to take the reins of Apple's massively profitable retail empire as a senior vice president.
post #2 of 159
Like putting lipstick on a pig.

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

post #3 of 159

I had her luggage back in the 80s.

post #4 of 159
yeah that is going to solve the problem of headaches and being crossed eyed.

Well are lest people may feel they look good and others may not notice that your eyes are crossed.

I said it before, Geek and Fashionista go together like oil and water.

This just proves Google has no clue what they are doing, 10 yrs from now analysis will be saying that Google jumped the shark with this whole google glasses along with Android.
Edited by Maestro64 - 6/23/14 at 6:40am
post #5 of 159
What is this Google Insider?
post #6 of 159
Google has more money than sense.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #7 of 159

Honestly, most designers in the world tend to be their own person and can not be bough, well it looks like Diane von Furstenberg was bought by google. She can not believe that google glass are a fashion statement.

post #8 of 159
You will get laughed at.

When you tell them the frames cost $1800, you will get laughed at harder.

How many of these will they sell? The +/- is 6.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #9 of 159

Doodle Dice iPhone puzzle game: A fun, free physics-laden collection of dice games.  Greatest app made yet?  Perhaps young man... Perhaps.
Doodle Dice iPhone puzzle game: A fun, free physics-laden collection of dice games.  Greatest app made yet?  Perhaps young man... Perhaps.
post #10 of 159

You guys shouldn't be so quick to judge.

Always remember that everyone laughed at Vista when it first came out.

Oh... wait...

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #11 of 159
I'm glad to see Google is trying to expand this product and focusing on woman but I can't see how this will work. It just looks like Google Glass glued to regular eyeglass frames.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #12 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm glad to see Google is trying to expand this product and focusing on woman but I can't see how this will work. It just looks like Google Glass glued to regular eyeglass frames.

But it's "fashion glue".

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #13 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

But it's "fashion glue".

OK, if I ever buy a thoroughbred that I race in the Kentucky Derby that's sooo going to be its name.

post #14 of 159
I wear glasses and need progressive lenses(it sucks getting old), for everyday use... Hmmm no way, but when I'm out excersizing ... Maybe, but not at this price.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
post #15 of 159

post #16 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

No; Apple Insider.

Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
post #17 of 159
Wow, no thanks. I'll wait for the Apple iContacts that do the same thing in a few years!! That way, I can record 3D video from my contact lenses and be able to 'see' my text messages in stereo!!

LMAO - Technology is just so great!!
post #18 of 159

Oh Google; your hole is not getting any smaller.

post #19 of 159

Ugh. She is annoying. I guess they look a bit better than the original version. No desire to wear those things around though. It will be interesting to see how adoption goes outside of use on the job.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

10 yrs from now analysis will be saying that Google jumped the shark with this whole google glasses along with Android.

Android is jumping the shark? Isn't it supposedly a complete copy of iOS? Regardless, after 6.5 years, I think we're a bit beyond a fad.

post #20 of 159

Nonsensical product in search of a problem to solve. Changing its appearance will amount to a hill of beans.

post #21 of 159
So stylish dorks and hipsters will think no one will notice they are Cylons.
post #22 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

No; Apple Insider.
What does Google Glass have to do with Apple?
post #23 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Nonsensical product in search of a problem to solve. Changing its appearance will amount to a hill of beans.

But this is OUR hill... and these are OUR beans!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #24 of 159
Quote:

Quote:

No; Apple Insider.

Google Glass is Google's feeble and failed attempt to create a wearable device using their own skills. Apple is widely acknowledged to be interested in the wearable space; Tim Cook has intimated at new product categories and Phil Schiller has stated that the products in the pipeline from Apple are the strongest he's seen for twenty-five years.

That's what Google Glass has to do with Apple, but you knew all that, of course, and were simply making a trollish jibe and waiting for the first fish to bite, that fish being me.

Now you've had your tea, it's time for bed.

post #25 of 159
Once a Glasshole, always a Glasshole. But now you can be a fashionable Glasshole.
post #26 of 159
Quote:

Are you honestly asking how a direct competitor to Apple could possibly affect Apple? Come on, Son!

post #27 of 159

Yeah Google is seeing the carpet being pulled so they becoming like big oil, the greasing the skips to make sure the stupid idea will not be limited. Google is becoming a lobbying power house these days.

Honesty, if it is such a good idea why is so many trying to regulate what that are doing and why do they have to play the political game.

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/06/google-lobbying-108167.html?hp=f1

post #28 of 159
Quote:

Quote:

You read the article.  You post on the article.  You read other poster's thoughts and responses to the article.  And you even re-respond back.

These posts always confuse me.  Is the point to pretend you are so busy that you don't have time to read this?  Is the point to prove you don't want to be burdened with non-Apple stories?  Because your actions and posts prove otherwise.  I really don't understand it.

post #29 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Once a Glasshole, always a Glasshole. But now you can be a fashionable Glasshole.

"Diane von Furstenberg's new Dooshay2 Collection"
Edited by SolipsismX - 6/23/14 at 8:36am

post #30 of 159
Quote:
fashion legend Diane von Furstenberg

A legend? I've never even heard of her. Tell me some more fairy tales legends... :)

post #31 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

Android is jumping the shark? Isn't it supposedly a complete copy of iOS? Regardless, after 6.5 years, I think we're a bit beyond a fad.

Keep in mind jumping the shark means that doing something desperate to make sure you stay relevant or popular. Remember Google is search and advertising company not a technology company. Android is their attempt to get into the Mobile OS business, to help sell more ads well that is failing to achieve it stated goals. Nest can also be added into the category of an idea which is jumping the shark. Some time it is completely obvious then a company or program is jumping the shark, some time it take years of looking back and saying what they hell happen to that company. I believe google has become so desperate that are doing things which are just stupid for them to be involved in.

post #32 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Like putting lipstick on a pig.

Yep. It's not the glasses part that is the issue. It's the bulky side piece. They should be trying to go retro with a a big plastic "nerd" frame where all the bits are inside that frame than this 'sunglasses with a giant tech zit'.

Hipsters love the nerd spec look so they would jump for it.

And if google could figure out a way to protect onto the lens and not into the eye they would probably have fewer complaints of headaches etc.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #33 of 159
Quote:

Google must has realize that women need to combat the geeks guys using google classes to hit on women, this was the glass can tell the women to watch out for the geek in the room.

post #34 of 159
Quote:

No; Apple Insider.
It's hard to tell these days.
post #35 of 159

This solves all the problems with Glass, which, as every geek has been squawking about, are all to do with how fashionable the plastic is.  Now no one need have any cause for complaint with Glass, because it's packaged with some trendy bug eyes.

censored

censored

post #36 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

A legend? I've never even heard of her. Tell me some more fairy tales legends... :)

If you've never heard of DvF then you've never heard of anyone in fashion.

Quote:

She is best known for introducing the knitted jersey "wrap dress" in 1974, an example of which, due to its influence on women's fashion, is in the collection of the Costume Institute of the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

She re-launched her fashion company, Diane von Fürstenberg (DvF), in 1997, with the reintroduction of her famous wrap dress. The company is now a global luxury lifestyle brand offering four complete collections a year. DvF is available in over 70 countries and 45 free-standing shops worldwide. The company’s headquarters and flagship boutique are located in Manhattan’s Meatpacking District.

In 2005, the Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA) awarded her the Lifetime Achievement Award and the following year named her as their president, a position she has held since 2006.

post #37 of 159

Ah, geez... so now they're be pretty Glassholes.

post #38 of 159
Google will get scammed all their project money, and when the fashion designers position are not longer overpaid, everyone will quit and left a giant holes in Google future revenue.

Why? Because for years fashion designers avoided designing glasses with too much effort and time. You can't see them on the fashion shows in detail, and to fit different face shapes, they need to design different glasses frames that produce in a small quantity.

I have been telling Google that people who wear glasses wasn't doing it for the fashion or other reason. We do it because we need to. Glasses are the back braces at the front, and that's the reason why LASIK existed.

Of course, even Google doesn't read their Google page, so just let them burn like Enron.
post #39 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

And if google could figure out a way to protect onto the lens and not into the eye they would probably have fewer complaints of headaches etc.

It doesn't project an image onto your eye lens. I't really no different than looking at your computer monitor or TV. The headaches that some get when first using Google Glass reportedly comes from using your eye muscles in an unaccustomed way, regularly looking slightly up and changing focus to see the display. I've read those go away after you've used Glass for awhile as your muscles get used to it but can't comment from personal experience.
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #40 of 159
Quote:

Quote:

Are you honestly asking how a direct competitor to Apple could possibly affect Apple? Come on, Son!

Rogifan is female, so I would suggest:

"Come on, love!"
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google focuses on fashion with new Glass frames from designer Diane von Furstenberg