or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google focuses on fashion with new Glass frames from designer Diane von Furstenberg

Google focuses on fashion with new Glass frames from designer Diane von Furstenberg - Page 2

post #41 of 159

Every time I see someone with Google Glass I maneuver myself out of their way, I somehow feel like my rights are being violated.

They could be shooting a video and not tell you or doing something else, it just doesn't feel right yet.

bb
bb
post #42 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Every time I see someone with Google Glass I maneuver myself out of their way, I somehow feel like my rights are being violated.
They could be shooting a video and not tell you or doing something else, it just doesn't feel right yet.

10 years from now no one will find it unusual, anymore than few seriously worry about surreptitious recording from someone's smartphone today (unless you're a dress-wearing woman in Wal-mart 1rolleyes.gif.) If anything it's probably easier to take a sneak pic or video with one of those than Google Glass. Do a search for something like "Take a sneaky picture with iOS7" to see how easy it is.
melior diabolus quem scies
post #43 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Quote:

10 years from now no one will find it unusual, anymore than few seriously worry about sereptitious recording from someone's smartphone today. If anything it's probably easier to take a sneak pic or video with one of those than Google Glass.

And of course we all know that 10 year predictions are rock solid.

Drones will be everywhere in 10 years…
Self-driving cars…
Refrigerator-toasters…
“I wasted time, and now doth time waste me.”
“I wasted time, and now doth time waste me.”
post #44 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Self-driving cars…
Refrigerator-toasters…

Hit me up in 10 years. 1biggrin.gif

EDIT: Over a hundred years ago a civil engineer named John Watkins made some predictions about life a hundred years in the future. Here's the page as printed in the Ladies' Home Journal. He did pretty darn good IMO.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7010/6635615985_633d660428_o.jpg
Edited by Gatorguy - 6/23/14 at 9:14am
post #45 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Yep. It's not the glasses part that is the issue. It's the bulky side piece. They should be trying to go retro with a a big plastic "nerd" frame where all the bits are inside that frame than this 'sunglasses with a giant tech zit'.

Hipsters love the nerd spec look so they would jump for it.

And if google could figure out a way to protect onto the lens and not into the eye they would probably have fewer complaints of headaches etc.

I was going to make a point along these lines as well, by making the glasses bigger, you mask the size of the Google Glass itself. They kept trying to make them as small as possible and now the fashion designer has more or less done the opposite, making the glasses larger to hide the GG.

post #46 of 159
Quote:

I hope they make them illegal to use while driving. I can't stand distracted drivers. I see so many people holding phones while driving. I get really annoyed that so many people break traffic laws.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #47 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Self-driving cars…
Refrigerator-toasters…

Excuse me sir, but refrigerator-toasters are already here, they go by the name Windows 8 or Surface, lol

bb
bb
post #48 of 159

I believe that people wearing Google Glass who are violating other people's privacy deserve to be physically assaulted. 

I'll punch them right in their face, if they are looking at me while wearing their Google Glass. Hopefully they have insurance for their intrusive Google gadget.

Society must take a stand and make it clear that such devices are not acceptable and will not be tolerated.

post #49 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I believe that people wearing Google Glass who are violating other people's privacy deserve to be physically assaulted. 

I'll punch them right in their face, if they are looking at me while wearing their Google Glass. Hopefully they have insurance for their intrusive Google gadget.

Society must take a stand and make it clear that such devices are not acceptable and will not be tolerated.

What's your reaction when you see the back of a cellphone pointed in your direction? Do you assume they're taking a picture or video of you? They might be. Or maybe they're just checking their mail or playing a game. But why take any chance, "punch them right in their face" just to be sure. 1wink.gif
post #50 of 159
Quote:

What's your reaction when you see a cellphone camera pointed in your direction? Do you assume they're taking a picture or video of you? They might be. Or maybe they're just checking their mail or playing a game. But why take any chance, "punch them right in their face" just to be sure. 1wink.gif

If someone is obviously pointing their cellphone at me then I would confront them. Fortunately this hasn't happened so far. I wouldn't punch them in the face, mind you.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #51 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

ITG alert!

Such devices are acceptable, and will be tolerated, and will eventually come out of cupertino. We're just highlighting how ridiculous Google's current attempt looks -- they won't always look so ridiculous though.

post #52 of 159
Quote:

What's your reaction when you see a cellphone camera pointed in your direction? Do you assume they're taking a picture or video of you? They might be. Or maybe they're just checking their mail or playing a game. But why take any chance, "punch them right in their face" just to be sure. 1wink.gif

I don't buy the argument that certain people make, when they compare Google Glass to a cellphone camera or when people compare Google Glass to surveillance cameras.

With a cell phone, it still has to be pointed in your general direction, and if somebody was pointing a cell phone at me for a period of time, then I would become suspicious too.

With Google Glass, it's worn on the face, and there's no way of knowing what the anti-social pervert wearing them is up to, and I do not give the benefit of the doubt to those people, and I believe that an increasing number of them will find themselves in troubling situations in the future, and I 

wont feel the least bit sorry when I read about yet another news story about some Google Glass wearer who got assaulted or robbed or whatever, because the majority of them have so far deserved it.

post #53 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

If someone is obviously pointing their cellphone at me then I would confront them. Fortunately this hasn't happened so far. I wouldn't punch them in the face, mind you.

If you've been out in public someones phone back has almost certainly been pointing in your direction. That you don't notice speaks to how common it is.
post #54 of 159
Quote:

EDIT: Over a hundred years ago a civil engineer named John Watkins made some predictions about life a hundred years in the future. Here's the page as printed in the Ladies' Home Journal. He did pretty darn good IMO.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7010/6635615985_633d660428_o.jpg

I made it to point 5- and he's wrong on all of it.

Nicaragua, Mexico, and other latin american countries aren't part of the union

Building in blocks isn't illegal, it doesnt take "minutes" to travel from the suburbs, and fares sure as hell aint a penny.

There is a C, Q, and X in the alphabet. English isn't first- it's third.  Chinese is first.  Russian isn't second, its 8th

Hot and cold air is kind of accurate, but its definitely not coming from a central plant similar to how we get electricity- and we didn't need 100 years- it was in private homes by 1933.  In fact, the furnace was invented 100 years prior to this article.

No mosquitos or flies.  hah!

It was a slightly interesting read, but accurate?  Anyone can make 200 claims and have a handful hit.  I'd say he's about as accurate as your Google rantings.  Lots of throwing but very little sticking.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #55 of 159
Quote:

If you've been out in public someones phone back has almost certainly been pointing in your direction. That you don't notice speaks to how common it is.

... and you don't know me. I'm very observant. If someone is obviously pointing a phone at me, unless it is a long distance away, I will notice.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #56 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Nicaragua, Mexico, and other latin american countries aren't part of the union
Building in blocks isn't illegal, it doesnt take "minutes" to travel from the suburbs, and fares sure as hell aint a penny.
There is a C, Q, and X in the alphabet. English isn't first- it's third.  Chinese is first.  Russian isn't second, its 8th
Hot and cold air is kind of accurate, but its definitely not coming from a central plant similar to how we get electricity- and we didn't need 100 years- it was in private homes by 1933.  In fact, the furnace was invented 100 years prior to this article.
No mosquitos or flies.  hah!

It was a slightly interesting read, but accurate?  Anyone can make 200 claims and have a handful hit.  I'd say he's about as accurate as your Google rantings.  Lots of throwing but very little sticking.

Excellent points but some of those are debatable depending on how you measure them. For example, English may not be the number one FIRST language but in regards to spoken and written languages I think it likely has the highest number of speakers and writers, as well as the highest usage due to the English-based entertainment being so prevalent and popular and the internet being based around it. (Allow me to Inception my example: For example, China Mobile has a completely English version of their website but I see no American telco with a Mandarin version of their website despite there being nearly being 1 billion native speakers.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #57 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

... and you don't know me. I'm very observant. If someone is obviously pointing a phone at me, unless it is a long distance away, I will notice.

Same here. I'm also very observant, and if I'm on a subway car filled with people, I notice what everybody around me is doing. Most of them have their heads buried in their phones. If one of them were pointing their phone at me, I would definitely notice.

If there was some creep sitting across from me wearing their Google Glass and looking at me, there is going to be trouble.

post #58 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

ITG alert!

Such devices are acceptable, and will be tolerated, and will eventually come out of cupertino. We're just highlighting how ridiculous Google's current attempt looks -- they won't always look so ridiculous though.

As I've said here about five times in the past, the problem with Glass is that it's monocular. It breaks the symmetry of the face, and the deepest wiring we have as humans is set to expect a face that has two eyes in side-by-side balance, from earliest infancy. This is why Glass repels and provokes anger, even if you know it's not recording.

If Apple comes out with a wearable display, expect it to be binocular, in stereo, in other words. Why bother if it's not 3D? Also, we should expect Apple to make it obvious that it's recording if it includes cameras—again, two for stereo. Concern for privacy is baked into Apple's founding charter. That's basic psychedelic politics, for those who are too young to know.
post #59 of 159
Quote:

He accurately predicted my particular business expertise in the last paragraph.

Quote:
 Microscopes will lay bare the vital organs, through the living flesh, of men and animals. The living body will to all medical purposes be transparent. Not only will it be possible for a physician to actually see a living, throbbing heart inside the chest, but he will be able to magnify and photograph any part of it. The work will be done with rays of invisible light. 

post #60 of 159
Quote:

Read beyond the headline. Here's one commenter:

"Ready-Cooked Meal Will Be Bought" - Yeah, that one's true. That's, like, my whole diet as a college student.

"No Foods Will Be Exposed" - All my meat comes wrapped in plastic, all my chips come in loud-ass crinkly bags.

"Coal Will Not Be Used for Heating or Cooking" - Gas and electric stoves, microwaves, geo-thermal heating, air-conditioning....

"Photographs Will Be Telegraphed" - Well, considering I'm looking at a photograph of a newspaper on the Internet...

"Automobiles Will Be Cheaper Than Horses" - Horses ain't cheap, I bought my truck I used for 5 years for 2000, a horse would run me, what, 7000?

"Aerial War Ships and Forts on Wheels" - Bomber planes and tanks. Next?

"Man Will See Around the World" - I could link you to that video of that dude dancing everywhere in the world. I won't, but you know the one.

"Grand Opera Will Be Telephoned" - I've seen a live show or two on the Internet.

"How Children Will Be Taught" - "A university education will be free to every man and woman". Well, you know, as long as you don't live in America.

"Black, Blue, and Green Roses" - Well, apparently black roses are an actual thing if my prank calls to 1-800-Flowers is any evidence

And from a BBC article noting he was pretty accurate on 10 of the 29 predictions:
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-16444966
post #61 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

"Ready-Cooked Meal Will Be Bought" - Yeah, that one's true. That's, like, my whole diet as a college student.

Where he also said they would be delivered to private homes via pneumatic tubes- then the dishes would be returned via the same pneumatic tubes.

Quote:
 "No Foods Will Be Exposed" - All my meat comes wrapped in plastic, all my chips come in loud-ass crinkly bags.

How about your Bananas, lettuce, and almost all produce- essentially?  And arrested if you don't?  Lol

Quote:
 "Coal Will Not Be Used for Heating or Cooking" - Gas and electric stoves, microwaves, geo-thermal heating, air-conditioning....

Where he also said our main source of electricity would instead come from water.  From the seacoast's waves that does the work Niagra is doing today- making electricity for heat light and fuel.

Quote:
 "Photographs Will Be Telegraphed" - Well, considering I'm looking at a photograph of a newspaper on the Internet...

Bingo- got one perfect.

Quote:
 "Aerial War Ships and Forts on Wheels" - Bomber planes and tanks. Next?

How original.  

1487- Da Vinci

I can make armored cars, safe and unassailable, which will enter the close ranks of the enemy with their artillery, and no company of soldiers is so great that it will not break through them. And behind these the infantry will be able to follow quite unharmed and without any opposition

He also mentioned we'd have forts made of steel impervious to bombs.  We would have huge forts on wheels that are faster than express trains.

My favorite is that he said our air ships would hide themselves with mist, and that we could throw thunderbolts down on them.  So he predicted Storm from X-men?

Quote:
"How Children Will Be Taught" - "A university education will be free to every man and woman". Well, you know, as long as you don't live in America.

The only point he was more wrong on was how fit we were going to be.

Quote:

And from a BBC article noting he was pretty accurate on 10 of the 29 predictions:
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-16444966

*yawn*

This is why I said it's dumb.  It wasn't 29 predictions.  The "first" had 4- all wrong, the "second" had 6- 5 of which were wrong, the "third" had 4- all wrong, etc etc

In fact- of the first "5" predictions I mentioned, he was wrong in 19 of his 21 predictions.  So like I said earlier- he made closer to 200 predictions- not 29.  So 10-20 correct out of 200 doesn't impress me- I assure you any intelligent person of today can throw out 200 predictions and have 20+ stick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

He accurately predicted my particular business expertise in the last paragraph.

Definitely.  That was why I said slightly interesting.  ;)

Regardless- Google Glass sucks.

Edited by Andysol - 6/23/14 at 10:49am

post #62 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

What is this Google Insider?

If you mean Google is inside, yes. lol.gif

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #63 of 159
Do these come in Kanye West's shutter shades?

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #64 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Yep. It's not the glasses part that is the issue. It's the bulky side piece. They should be trying to go retro with a a big plastic "nerd" frame where all the bits are inside that frame than this 'sunglasses with a giant tech zit'.

Hipsters love the nerd spec look so they would jump for it.

And if google could figure out a way to protect onto the lens and not into the eye they would probably have fewer complaints of headaches etc.

Google Glass would be cool if they looked like Geordi Laforge's VISOR:

lpc880-07-015.jpg

There is a South Korean company named CoreGem, that made something similar, called The Neomind Brainwave:

113767754912818.jpgimage_42253_largeimagefile.gif

http://www.mobilemag.com/2006/01/19/relax-and-learn-with-neomind-brainwave-visor/

In 2011, an Israeli company called Lumus, created see-thru video glasses that could easily be modified to look like Terminator shades:

lumusvision.png

http://www.telepresenceoptions.com/2011/12/headsup_lumus_shows_off_720p_s/

Now put them together, you would have something that would look like The Mass Effect Visor:

mass effect visor 

post #65 of 159
The biggest problem with Google Glass is that you just can't avoid looking like a tool every time you wear this in public. Maybe a product ahead of its time? In the dystopian future, maybe we'll all have this shit implanted, but until then...
post #66 of 159
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post
But this is OUR hill... and these are OUR beans!

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
post #67 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugbug View Post

That is the first thing I thought of when I read this. Long live the opti-grab!
post #68 of 159
Quote:

10 years from now no one will find it unusual, anymore than few seriously worry about surreptitious recording from someone's smartphone today (unless you're a dress-wearing woman in Wal-mart 1rolleyes.gif.) If anything it's probably easier to take a sneak pic or video with one of those than Google Glass. Do a search for something like "Take a sneaky picture with iOS7" to see how easy it is.

Seriously, how far up Google ass are you? This "people can take sneaky photos of you in other ways" argument is so damn weak. Why is it so difficult for Google evangelists like you to understand that someone with a camera/computer strapped on their damn face makes people uncomfortable, and justifiably so? If I was talking to someone wearing Google Glass, that monstrosity would be all that I could focus on, and nothing else. 

Also, we're today, not "10 years from now". Making an asinine prediction of how you think things will change in the future is such a cowardly way of avoiding responding to arguments made about the product today. Also, that's quite the assumptions- that "noone" will find it unsual 10 years from now- you don't know that, and I find that prediction very difficult to believe. The face is a sacred part of the body, and there's no indication that looking like a cyborg and having a camera permanently strapped to your face will be the norm in a few years, as much as you and google would love it to be. Glass is a PR disaster, I don't see the mainstream clamoring for such a product, and there's no reason social norms are suddenly going to change so suddenly. Don't use smartphones and tablets as a comparison, because that example is not even in the same universe. 

post #69 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJohnson View Post

If you've never heard of DvF then you've never heard of anyone in fashion.

Tsk, it's a wonder I've even survived all these years.  

/s

post #70 of 159
The Google Glass component still hasn't changed in design since they first revelaed it 2 yrs ago. Still looks like shit. They havent been able to miniaturize anything during that time? Something like this would sitll be at a pre-alpha stage in Apple's labs, but Google is comfortable selling it.
post #71 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

The face is a sacred part of the body, and there's no indication that looking like a cyborg and having a camera permanently strapped to your face will be the norm in a few years, as much as you and google would love it to be. Glass is a PR disaster, I don't see the mainstream clamoring for such a product, and there's no reason social norms are suddenly going to change so suddenly. Don't use smartphones and tablets as a comparison, because that example is not even in the same universe. 

Right, right and right.
post #72 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Seriously, how far up Google ass are you? This "people can take sneaky photos of you in other ways" argument is so damn weak. Why is it so difficult for Google evangelists like you to understand that someone with a camera/computer strapped on their damn face makes people uncomfortable

Also, we're today, not "10 years from now". Making an asinine prediction of how you think things will change in the future is such a cowardly way of avoiding responding to arguments made about the product today.

It's plainly obvious Google Glass makes a lot of folks uncomfortable. For that reason and a couple of others I don't think Glass v.1 will be a commercial success as I've said before. They are being way too timid in releasing it and their their window of opportunity has already passed IMO. They gave the naysayers and FUD-makers too much time to formulate arguments against it.

It may serve as a learning opportunity but a profit center it won't be. You can mark Glass up as the Google equivalent of "Newton" IMO, a product that got a lot of attention but commercially and technically was before its time. That doesn't mean the effort is without value tho and I believe at some point a Glass-like appliance will see widespread acceptance. And yes I believe 10 years will be more than enough time for it to happen.

And I'm being cowardly?? You don't see me avoiding a discussion of it with anyone that wants to take part. That would include you good sir. Your Yedi mind tricks don't work on me. 1wink.gif
Edited by Gatorguy - 6/23/14 at 12:46pm
post #73 of 159

"Nothingever happened on this globe, for good, at which some people did not have their fill of laughter in the onset; and knowing that such as these would be blind anyway, he thought it quite as well that they should wrinkle up their eyes in grins, as have a malady in the less attractive forms." -- Dickens

There is a lot of mocking going on here, coming from a lot of folks who have no understanding whatsoever of how quickly the capacity, capability, and usefulness of technologies like Glass are doubling.  To roundly dismiss them, as some have done here, is the height of mockery and demonstrates enormous lack of vision.

If you want to learn something about just how fundamentally these and other technologies will change our society, go grab a copy of "The Second Machine Age: Work, Progress, and Prosperity in a Time of Brilliant Technologies" - you can get it here.  

People laugh at Google for projects like Glass and for self-driving cars because they can't see forward to a time when these technologies will be practical.  But they cannot do that, fundamentally, because they can't understand the exponential speed with which our technological prowess doubles.  In 2004 not a single entrant in Darpa's autonomous vehicle challenge was able to complete more than 5% of the test course.  Yet flash forward to 2012 and Google's driverless cars had already logged hundreds of thousands of miles on public roadways in the United States without even a single accident.  And in 2013, Nissan announced they would come to market with several models of driverless cars by 2020.  So from 2004 to 2012 autonomous cars went from being a science fiction fantasy to demonstrable fact.  8 years.  4 doublings.

Google glass is no different.  It is goofy to look at, and easy to mock.  But doing that means that the pretentious people doing so lack the vision and the understanding to see how quickly these technologies will become commonplace and just how quickly they will evolve.

Check out Ray Kurzweil's TED talk on how technology doubles - done way back in 2005 - for a very interesting look at how quickly these changes are happening.  FYI, Kurzweill is no dummy - in 1999 he predicted that within a decade we would see self-driving cars and mobile phones that could answer questions.   At the time, he was greatly criticized by people who considered these predictions unrealistic.  He was, in retrospect, quite correct.  Kurzweil also happens to (as of December 2012) a director of Engineering in Google's Advanced Technologies and Projects group.

Just think: In 2006, there was only a very small group of people that thought something like iPhone could exist, and the rest of the world thought they were crazy.  And there were plenty of mockers, even after the product was announced.

Have a great day.

post #74 of 159
Quote:

They are being way too timid in releasing it and their their window of opportunity has already passed IMO. They gave the naysayers and FUD-makers too much time to formulate arguments against it.

What in the hell are you talking about?!?!?  When was their "window"?  Release week- Even if they advertised it ad naseum and slashed the price in half no one would buy it.

"Gave the naysayers and FUD-makers too much time"?  How about- it was a piece of garbage that society didn't want.  It's failure came on it's own merits- not because of "naysayers".

And you wonder why people think you're up Google's ass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

Just think: In 2006, there was only a very small group of people that thought something like iPhone could exist, and the rest of the world thought they were crazy.  And there were plenty of mockers, even after the product was announced.

Yes with those same "naysayers"- it became an undeniably successful and game changing product.  Apples-Oranges.

Hey- I have a pile of shit I just created for sale.  Don't criticize it, because someone once criticized the iPhone.  And if no one buys it, it's because of the naysayers- not because it's an actual pile of shit.

post #75 of 159
Quote:

I don't wonder at all why you would think that.
post #76 of 159
Quote:

What in the hell are you talking about?!?!?  When was their "window"?  

Two years ago.

At the time it was first announced there was lots of excitement. The tech crowd drooled over the possibilities and dreamed about the uses for it. Two years later and the shine is off and its still a beta effort. Pretty darn surprised you couldn't figure in what way the window of opportunity had closed, but I suspect it might only be because you weren't interested in thinking about it. Google Glass will die an ignobel death but leave a lasting influence, an idea to be picked up again when the market ir right.

Ridicule killed the Newton and it will kill Glass too. But the vision of the Newton didn't die and neither will Glass IMHO.
post #77 of 159
Quote:

Two years ago.

At the time it was first announced there was lots of excitement. The tech crowd drooled over the possibilities and dreamed about the uses for it. Two years later and the shine is off and its still a beta effort. Pretty darn surprised you couldn't figure in what way the window of opportunity had closed, but I suspect it might only be because you weren't interested in thinking about it.

The tech crowd didn't even buy it!

You make love to Google's products- did you buy one?  No?  Then that just further proves it was a heap of shit that the world doesn't want.  There was no "window" because no one wanted it!

post #78 of 159
Quote:

Google Glass will die an ignobel death but leave a lasting influence, an idea to be picked up again when the market ir right.

Ok- last response because you are clearly insane.  An idea to be picked up again?  So Google glass was the first to have the idea of a wearable device?  Are you high?  The idea has been around for decades- they just tried to act on someone else's idea- and failed miserably at it.

Literally- they took an idea out of star trek, made it, and no one bought it.  Now they're making $1800 shades?  Its a freakin' joke!

post #79 of 159
Quote:

Ok- last response because you are clearly insane.  An idea to be picked up again?  So Google glass was the first to have the idea of a wearable device?  Are you high?  The idea has been around for decades- they just tried to act on someone else's idea- and failed miserably at it.

Literally- they took an idea out of star trek, made it, and no one bought it.  Now they're making $1800 shades?  Its a freakin' joke!

Last response? Really? Then thanks as it's clear to me you have more interest in slinging ad-homs and insults than conducting a measured and intelligent discussion with me. 1rolleyes.gif
post #80 of 159
Quote:

What in the hell are you talking about?!?!?  When was their "window"?  Release week- Even if they advertised it ad naseum and slashed the price in half no one would buy it.

"Gave the naysayers and FUD-makers too much time"?  How about- it was a piece of garbage that society didn't want.  It's failure came on it's own merits- not because of "naysayers".

Yes with those same "naysayers"- it became an undeniably successful and game changing product.  Apples-Oranges.

Hey- I have a pile of shit I just created for sale.  Don't criticize it, because someone once criticized the iPhone.  And if no one buys it, it's because of the naysayers- not because it's an actual pile of shit.

Don't confuse the success or failure of a product with the success or failure of a technology.  Glass can be loosely seen as an implementation of augmented reality, and the fact that Glass is not quite ready for prime time (as a consumer grade device) shouldn't keep you from seeing the compelling use cases for this sort of technology.  There will be further implementations of Glass, and this kind of technology will see increasing acceptance in years to come.

Google doesn't expect or intend Glass to be a device that reaches wide use in a consumer base.  Up until a few months ago, you couldn't even buy it without having applied and been approved.  Glass is an experiment to see what can be done with a technology in its infancy - it is a beta, if anything, not a mass consumer product.  The fact that Google has opened it up to the public doesn't signal that they are trying to create a huge mass-market win, it just signals their response to the fact that some consumers do want it.  The fashion accessories for Glass are similarly experiments - social experiments, specifically, to look at how these technologies can start getting wider use and acceptance.  

If anything, comparing Glass to iPhone and then declaring it crap by comparison is the real idiocy.  It's like comparing a surgical instrument to a hammer and then declaring it a failure because only a small percentage of the populace wants it.

If you can't see the potential in devices like Google Glass because you've perma-grafted an Apple logo to your optic nerve, I can't help you.  Your insistence on mocking without actually making an argument only showcases a severely myopic ignorance, not an actual failure of the technology you are mocking.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google focuses on fashion with new Glass frames from designer Diane von Furstenberg