or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Leak shows 8.9" Nexus tablet from HTC, Google's latest stab at Apple's iPad

Leak shows 8.9" Nexus tablet from HTC, Google's latest stab at Apple's iPad - Page 2

post #41 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

nope. with all the manufacturers and app stores, it's anything but.

Yeah, consumers are just CLAMORING for "multiple appstores" on their mobile devices. What a fantastic experience that sounds like. Also, the # of manufacturers that employ Android has nothing to do with Android's software being walled-off or not. 
post #42 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Wow this place really is turning into Google Insider. 1eek.gif

Not even close, considering there are 65,960 Apple threads spawning 1.2 millions posts. Whereas Google has generated 15,761 threads spawning 121,724 posts.

AI has published 18 Apple-related articles and only 1 Google article. The latter was more about Blackberry than Google. ;)

post #43 of 54

Well, when Apple went from 9.7 to 7.9 some accused Apple of being innovative.

post #44 of 54

Why in the hell would anyone climb the 4:3 hill and plant an Apple flag on top? Who gives a crap? You think that all Android devices will be 4:3 from now on or something, because it's better? It's a display ratio, and is largely meaningless. I like my wide phone though, for watching Netflix without wasted space/weight. I think 4:3 is probably better for application interaction though. Whatever.

It's not like Apple never follows. Look at the iOS 8 announcements for examples of following good ideas on the Android side of the spectrum.

Tablet app quality??? I don't have a tablet, by my wife and kids use their iPads all the damned time. You know what they're using? Safari, Email, Gmail, Chrome, Youtube, and Netflix (the last two are nearly always sent out to a Chromecast). The UI standards are in the cloud, not on the device. Occasionally, they'll play a game, so the UI standards are out the window there too.

post #45 of 54
Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

Look at the iOS 8 announcements for examples of following good ideas on the Android side of the spectrum.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #46 of 54
Samsung can create the perfect sized tablet and I still would not buy that junk.
post #47 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Let me guess: because Apple only has 8" and 10" tablets, 9" is "innovation" 1tongue.gif I know that screen size is considered innovation in the Android world 1wink.gif

And with a larger display but lower pixel count 2048x1440 versus 2048x1536 for the iPad mini, its pixel density is less than the iPad minis. However, this new Nexus does have one big innovation. Google has finally copied the iPad's more application-friendly 4:3 aspect ratio. So they have that going for them. /s
I have enough money to last the rest of my life. Unless I buy something. - Jackie Mason
Never own anything that poops. - RadarTheKat
I have enough money to last the rest of my life. Unless I buy something. - Jackie Mason
Never own anything that poops. - RadarTheKat
post #48 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They're defending the principle that Apple shall receive no credit for good ideas, only Google. 1wink.gif

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #49 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlApple View Post

No actually I am rather informed. Steve Jobs use to make stupid comments about the size of other phones and tablets saying they should include sandpaper with for your fingers. Apple is following others when it comes to the size of the iPhone. 

I will say this, the best day for Apple is when Steve Jobs passed and Tim Cook took over. The idiotic ego factor dropped by 300% which is why this Google and Samsung battle is going to end soon. 

Those "stupid" comments, as you define them, were 100% accurate. He was referring to phones that relied on stylus for input, and were near impossible to use with your finger. It had nothing to do with size of the display, but clearly that went way over your head. Is Apple really "following" anyone with a slightly larger phone size option? They offer multiple sizes of Macbooks, iMacs, iPads, etc. Size was never a criteria of innovation. The appstore wasn't even conceived when the 1st iPhone came out. Maybe, just MAYBE Apple is adapting to the increased robustness and complexity of software on the iOS platform, rather than this having anything to do with "following" anyone? You do realize that the iPhone is the best selling smartphone in the world, right?

Cook took over months before SJ passed away by the way, so your crass giddiness at his passing is misplaced. The guy that founded Apple, came back to save the company's ass, and led to its meteoric success that changed to landscape of multiple industries's passing is the "best thing" to happen to the company?

Also, the litigation between Apple and Samsung has nothing to do with "idiotic ego", but rather, documented evidence of Samsung infringing on patents, and Apple's obligation to defend it's IP less it become worthless. The fact that the only words you used to describe Jobs are "stupid" and "idiotic" truly shows everyone the depth of your depraved nature.

post #50 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

They're defending the principle that Apple shall receive no credit for good ideas, only Google. 1wink.gif

I regularly call out good ideas of Apple's in AI forums. On the other hand, "Hey, Siri." is hardly original. There are numerous instances where Android has followed iOS, but the opposite is also true.

post #51 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Wow this place really is turning into Google Insider. 1eek.gif

No; it's still Apple Insider.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #52 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

"4:3 sucks!" -every android fanboy

It's a great aspect ratio if you do everything on the tablet itself, the second you connect it to a TV or monitor, yeah it kind of sucks then.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #53 of 54
This looks pretty exciting but I have already dropped over a grand on a Tango tablet, yep, got the confirmation on Friday that I will receive one. Nvdia K1, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 3D mapping hardware and software, sorry but I'm only human and as my time on this planet is probably going to be shorter then most of you, why not. This Nexus 8, looks pretty great, if you going to buy an Android device, the Nexus would defiantly would be the one to get.
post #54 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Davis View Post

Samsung can create the perfect sized tablet and I still would not buy that junk.

Yucky, me either.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Leak shows 8.9" Nexus tablet from HTC, Google's latest stab at Apple's iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Leak shows 8.9" Nexus tablet from HTC, Google's latest stab at Apple's iPad