or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Bono criticizes Apple for being 'annoyingly quiet' about raising $75M for fight against AIDS

Bono criticizes Apple for being 'annoyingly quiet' about raising $75M for fight against AIDS - Page 2

post #41 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Not quite a lie: he discusses those tax avoidance maneuvers in a Guardian interview in fact:
http://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/sep/22/bono-campaigner-u2-global-poverty

"

The other persistent criticism is about the band's decision to offshore part of their income through the Netherlands to avoid tax. Was it not hypocrisy for you to try to hold the Irish government to account for its spending while going through fairly exhaustive efforts to avoid paying into the Irish exchequer yourself?

It is not an intellectually rigorous position unless you understand that at the heart of the Irish economy has always been the philosophy of tax competitiveness. Tax competitiveness has taken our country out of poverty. People in the revenue accept that if you engage in that policy then some people are going to go out, and some people are coming in. It has been a successful policy. On the cranky left that is very annoying, I can see that. But tax competitiveness is why Ireland has stayed afloat. When the Germans tried to impose a different tax regime on the country in exchange for a bailout, the taoiseach said they would rather not have the bailout. So U2 is in total harmony with our government's philosophy."

Yes. U2 manage their affairs to pay less taxes. U2 the corporation. As does Apple.

But U2 != Bono.

It's like someone saying that Tim Cook doesn't pay taxes and lives in Ireland to avoid them.

Tim Cook != Apple.

I don't deny that Bono can be a prick. But he doesn't live in holland.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #42 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

How dare you submit such an answer unaccompanied by a dull section of screeching violins? To put it a bit more genteel, bullsh@t buster!

post #43 of 63

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

To be honest, one of the memes constantly trotted out by the iHater crowd is the alleged non-philanthropy of Steve Jobs and Apple. If you repeat a lie often enough people DO start to believe it. Yes, people are that stupid.

Let's see who's stupid...

Didn't Steve stopped Apple's philanthropic programs when he became CEO?

Apple can certainly do more when comparing them to other companies with far less money.

Safeway Foundation  http://www.safewayfoundation.org/our-foundation/index.html

HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES

We sponsor organizations that are engaged in health research and nutritional programs. The Safeway Foundation's contributions finance medical research and programs that improve the lives of people living with cancer and neuromuscular diseases. Since 2001, we have donated over $200 million towards breast cancer and prostate cancer research alone.

HUNGER RELIEF

As one of the largest grocery retailers in North America, we find that supporting hunger relief programs is a natural fit for us. We're proud to be one of the largest contributors to food banks and feeding programs in the neighborhoods we serve. In 2012 alone, Safeway and The Safeway Foundation donated nearly $120 million in food products to hunger-relief programs in neighborhoods around the nation.

EDUCATION

Our commitment to education stretches back to the very beginnings of our company. Today, The Safeway Foundation supports numerous youth development organizations as well as a broad range of after-school and physical education programs. Safeway also participates in Electronic Scrip Incorporated's eScrip program, which enables consumers to direct a percentage of their grocery purchases to be donated to the school of their choice. In 2012, we donated over $20 million to local schools through eScrip.

HELPING PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES

We have long supported regional and national programs that assist people with disabilities. In 2012 we donated $9.2 million to help people with disabilities. Beneficiary organizations include the Muscular Dystrophy Association, Easter Seals, Special Olympics, and a range of community-based employment and job coaching organizations focused on serving people with disabilities. Over the past two years, Safeway has also joined with Rebuilding Together to fund home and community center remodeling and projects designed to help local neighborhoods.

In total, Safeway and The Safeway Foundation donate an average of $200 million a year in grants and product donations to charitable organizations.

It took Apple 8yrs to donate $75 million. Safeway does that in 4.5 months! Remind me which company is one of the richest in the world.

Target Corporation  https://corporate.target.com/corporate-responsibility

Supporting communities through giving has always been a cornerstone of our business and a belief that guides so many of our decisions. Each year, we’ve given 5 percent of our profit to communities, which adds up to more than $4 million each week. We also believe that donating our time, talent and resources is equally important as the income we give. Our team members give hundreds of thousands of hours volunteering in their communities every year.

In 2010, we announced plans to give $1 billion for education by the end of the 2015 fiscal year, with a significant portion helping more U.S. children read proficiently by the end of third grade. In 2013, we donated $98 million for education, bringing our total giving to date to $875 million and keeping us on track to hit our goal.

In less than 4 years, Target donated more than 11x what Apple did in 8yrs. Target's net earnings is about $2 billion and Apple's is $37 billion. Shouldn't Apple be donating 18x more than Target?

The amount of money Apple donates is laughable compared to what other companies with far less money donate. That's why they don't like to talk about it. Despicable because they complain there are not enough educated workers in the US which leaves them no choice but to look overseas for talent. At the same time, they don't do anything to improve the education of the people in their communities. Apple leaves it for other companies to address.

Edited by Russell - 6/23/14 at 11:58pm

No matter what type of media...movies, music, books, photos and web pages

look better and sound better on the Kindle Fire HD and HDX than any iPad

post #44 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksec View Post

Because Apple, under SJ, doesn't want to use donation and charity as a way to PR and market its company. Unlike many many others which do. (That is not a necessarily a bad thing.)

So that's the reason why he stopped Apple's philanthropic programs when he became CEO?

post #45 of 63
Quote:

How may pop stars and music stars do anything? There are a few that try to make a difference and they get nothing but crapped on by wise guys. Please list your contributions to society. Bono has worked his ass off to help others.
I guess people forget that Bono was a friend of Steve's and is a friend of Steve's wife and a Jony Ive. Heck, he spoke at Steve's private memorial service. But hey the rumor sites decided to overreact to something Bono said in order to drive clicks and now Bono's the bad guy. I saw video of Bono's comments and the crowd (and even Jony Ive) were laughing at what he said. It was some good natured ribbing while at the same time reminding people how much Apple has done for RED.
post #46 of 63
Quote:

Bono:
"It is not an intellectually rigorous position unless you understand that at the heart of the Irish economy has always been the philosophy of tax competitiveness. Tax competitiveness has taken our country out of poverty. People in the revenue accept that if you engage in that policy then some people are going to go out, and some people are coming in. It has been a successful policy. On the cranky left that is very annoying, I can see that. But tax competitiveness is why Ireland has stayed afloat. When the Germans tried to impose a different tax regime on the country in exchange for a bailout, the taoiseach said they would rather not have the bailout. So U2 is in total harmony with our government's philosophy."

Wow - Bono for President!!!   Of Something!  Anything!

He apparently has the Two-Step Tap-Dance down pat...

post #47 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moreck View Post

I can't believe that some commenters are actually downplaying the significance of HIV/AIDS funding, just to make a stab at Bono. That's disgusting.

It's not mutually exclusive. To wit, I think what Apple does is valiant and noble and very important...and Bono is a twit. 

To woo.

Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
post #48 of 63
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Bono, what a blowhard, LOL!

How may pop stars and music stars do anything? There are a few that try to make a difference and they get nothing but crapped on by wise guys. Please list your contributions to society. Bono has worked his ass off to help others.

The problem arises when they open their mouths - in many cases, on-stage, too.

post #49 of 63
@Russell

75 million was just for Project Red. I'm not sure what other charitable contributions they've made over the years.
post #50 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Yes. U2 manage their affairs to pay less taxes. U2 the corporation. As does Apple.

But U2 != Bono.

It's like someone saying that Tim Cook doesn't pay taxes and lives in Ireland to avoid them.

Tim Cook != Apple.

I don't deny that Bono can be a prick. But he doesn't live in holland.

In the case of U2 unless it's a publicly traded corporation like Apple the comparison is rather faulty to Cook and Apple. U2 maybe very well =Bono +the other bandmates.

Edited by jfc1138 - 6/24/14 at 2:20pm
post #51 of 63
Quote:

In the case of U2 unless it's a publicly traded corporation like Apple the comparison is rather faulty to Cook and Apple. U2 maybe very well =Bono +the other bandmates.

It's a corporation. In fact multiple corporations. And not solely owned by the band members either. It doesn't matter. A company is a distinct legal entity from even a sole owner. The post I originally quoted suggested that Bono was living in holland. He isn't.
post #52 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

@Russell

75 million was just for Project Red. I'm not sure what other charitable contributions they've made over the years.

The amount of money Apple donates is laughable compared to what other companies with far less money donate. That's why they don't like to talk about it.

post #53 of 63
Originally Posted by Russell View Post

The amount of money Apple donates is laughable compared to what other companies with far less

money donate. That's why they don't like to talk about it.

Sure thing¡

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
post #54 of 63
Quote:

Didn't Steve stopped Apple's philanthropic programs when he became CEO?

No idea. Apple hasn't said much about what it gives (kinda what this story is about).

Quote:
 Apple can certainly do more when comparing them to other companies with far less money.

Since you have no idea what Apple gives, you cannot compare their giving to anything...

Quote:
In less than 4 years, Target donated more than 11x what Apple donated to one single charity in 8yrs. 

fixed that for ya'.

In 2011, Apple donated +$50 million to Stanford University hospitals.

Apple matches employees charitable donations up to $10K.

Not a lot more info is shown in a simple search but that doesn't' mean Apple does not do anything.

post #55 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

No idea. Apple hasn't said much about what it gives (kinda what this story is about).

I know you don't want to believe it, but search it, it's out there.

Yes, You Can Think Less of Steve Jobs for Not Being a Philanthropist

"In 1997, when Mr. Jobs returned to Apple, he closed the company’s philanthropic programs. At the time, he said he wanted to restore the company’s profitability. Despite the company’s $14 billion in profits last year(2010) and its $76 billion cash pile today, the giving programs have never been reinstated."

http://www.thewire.com/technology/2011/08/yes-you-can-think-less-steve-jobs-not-being-philanthropist/41885/

Quote:

In 2011, Apple donated +$50 million to Stanford University hospitals.

October 2011 was when Steve passed away. That "donation" was probably for all of the medical care and treatment, not for altruistic reasons.

Quote:

Apple matches employees charitable donations up to $10K.

Not very charitable if you require your employees to contribute first. The same employees whose wages were suppressed by Steve's No Poach Agreements.

Quote:

Not a lot more info is shown in a simple search but that doesn't' mean Apple does not do anything.

A simple search found he stopped Apple's philanthropy when he became CEO.

Knowing Steve's history and Apple's lack of community involvement also supports it.

Edited by Russell - 6/24/14 at 9:45pm

post #56 of 63
Quote:

October 2011 was when Steve passed away. That "donation" was probably for all of the medical care and treatment, not for altruistic reasons.

Not very charitable if you require your employees to contribute first. The same employees whose wages were suppressed by Steve's No Poach Agreements.

1. You honest don't believe the tripe you just wrote, do you? $50 million for treatment.

2. Lots of companies employee match. Are they less altruistic?
post #57 of 63
Quote:

I know you don't want to believe it, but search it, it's out there.

Not really my concern, one way or the other...

Quote:

Not very charitable if you require your employees to contribute first.

It's not? So you don't really know what the word "charity" means...

Okay.

​FYI: Apple doesn't require their employees to give to anything (except Uncle Sam for taxes).

Quote:

Quote:

A simple search found he stopped Apple's philanthropy when he became CEO.

You mean according to some articles.

Have you dug through the corporate tax records to see what they did/didn't do?

post #58 of 63
Quote:

1. You honest don't believe the tripe you just wrote, do you? $50 million for treatment.

2. Lots of companies employee match. Are they less altruistic?

Ok, $50m wasn't just for care and treatment. It was a way of saying thanks for trying to save our CEO.

Companies with far less give far more than Apple. Is Apple less altruistic? 

post #59 of 63
Quote:

Ok, $50m wasn't just for care and treatment. It was a way of saying thanks for trying to save our CEO.

Companies with far less give far more than Apple. Is Apple less altruistic? 

So saying thanks is not charitable?

Good for those companies.
post #60 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Not really my concern, one way or the other...

If you say so.

Quote:

You mean according to some articles.

If it weren't for "some articles", forums like this wouldn't exist.

Quote:

Have you dug through the corporate tax records to see what they did/didn't do?

No need to.

Just like any other company out there, Apple would not hesitate to make an announcement if they thought it would please their customers. Just like when they announced they donated $100k to stop Prop 8 or using solar to power their server farms.

Edited by Russell - 6/25/14 at 8:55pm

post #61 of 63
Quote:

So saying thanks is not charitable?

Would they have done it if Steve wasn't getting treatment there? Most probably definitely not.

Quote:
Good for those companies.

...which makes what company look bad?

Edited by Russell - 6/25/14 at 8:53pm

post #62 of 63
Quote:

Would they have done it if Steve wasn't getting treatment there? Most probably definitely not.

Who the **** cares. Would many people donate to charities if they didn't know someone or weren't directly affected by the cause?
post #63 of 63
Quote:

...which makes what company look bad?

None.

But if Apple donated every penny, you still say they aren't doing enough...

How much did you give last year to charities?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Bono criticizes Apple for being 'annoyingly quiet' about raising $75M for fight against AIDS