or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple TV gains 4 new channels, including ABC News with live video

Apple TV gains 4 new channels, including ABC News with live video

post #1 of 45
Parents, news junkies, and sports fans now have a number of new streaming content options from Apple as the company added channels for ABC News, PBS Kids, AOL On, and Willow as part of an over-the-air update Tuesday morning.

ABC News brings both live and on-demand streaming coverage of current events, with most content open to users without a cable subscription. The channel will broadcast hourly news updates as well as four to five live reports each day, and viewers can access a growing archive of historical footage from the venerable network.

The addition of ABC News -- which will also bring local content from stations in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Houston, Raleigh, Fresno, and Milwaukee at launch -- is the latest in a long line of collaborations between Apple and ABC parent Disney, of which late Apple CEO Steve Jobs was a major shareholder. The Apple TV already hosts a number of channels from Disney's children's programming segment as well as subscription-based content from ABC and ESPN.

"We are very excited to be extending our leadership and innovation onto an amazing platform like Apple TV," ABC News Digital executive Joe Ruffolo said in a release. "Utilizing hours of live video each day, opening up our archives, extending our strong local brands, and bringing the trust of ABC News to our users when and where they want it."

Also coming along for the rid is another channel from the Public Broadcasting Service, which itself first appeared on Apple TV last fall. PBS Kids adds content from a number of popular childrens' shows, including Arthur, Curious George, Thomas the Tank Engine, and Sesame Street.

Other new options rolled out Tuesday include international cricket channel Willow, content from AOL's On streaming video service, and a revamped app for photo sharing service Flickr.
post #2 of 45
We're gonna need folders for all those Apple TV apps/channels
post #3 of 45
"ABC News brings both live and on-demand streaming coverage of current events, with most content open to users without a cable subscription." It's about time we don't need cable to watch a broadcast show. ABC is broadcast for free over free airwaves so adding this channel should be free for everyone.
post #4 of 45
This is starting to get pretty awesome. The interface is due for an update, I suspect it is not far off, or perhaps tied to OS 8 .
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Long on AAPL so biased
post #5 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The addition of ABC News -- which will also bring local content from stations in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Houston, Raleigh, Fresno, and Milwaukee at launch

Why these cities?  Some seem odd (fresno, milwaukee, raleigh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post

Only if you use all of them.  I have the vast majority hidden and only have the ones up I use- which is about 14 or so (inc. settings, movies, computer, etc).

Only going to keep PBS Kids.  I would keep ABC news if it had Dallas- it should eventually.

I'm ok with the UI.  That might change depending on how thorough the next update will be (if theres an app store, etc).

Really, I just want safari more than anything at this point because I travel so much.  I hate not being able to use my Apple TV at several hotels.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #6 of 45

The tiring thing about Apple TV it remains so US centric with it's various channel additions..  Why can't they add BBC iplayer for a start? Oh yea, because it's almost too good!

William
iMac 21.5" Late 2012, iPad 3 (Works fine for films), iPhone 5 (6 on order)

William

post #7 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

With the exception of Milwaukee, those are stations owned by ABC, including Fresno and Raleigh. The addition of Milwaukee is curious since it is owned by Hearst (which also owns Boston and Baltimore ABC affiliates).

post #8 of 45

I wish I could chose an ABC affiliate from my state, instead of the nearby affiliate from an adjacent state.  That would be groundbreaking.

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

post #9 of 45
Quote:

Because I live in the Milwaukee service area and own Apple stock. Timmy listens to me. ;-)

post #10 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post

Not if you don't live in the US.

post #11 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdowell View Post

The tiring thing about Apple TV it remains so US centric with it's various channel additions..  Why can't they add BBC iplayer for a start? Oh yea, because it's almost too good!

Because the BBC wants to restrict access to their content to Brits (and probably to Brits who have TV licenses)?

post #12 of 45

Sure. well, they can do that, surely, no?  

1) They do it for the many US centric channels!

2) BBC iPlayer is available on other set top boxes so i don't think it's a BBC side issue.

3) Just like with the (UK version of) iPlayer on the iPad and iPhone too - It's available on the UK store only. Sure some people will use VPN and set up a UK account, but I can't see why Apple can't give the BBC a space for UK registered accounts. 

I suspect it's more to do with the fact that BBC iPlayer already provides a pretty impressive catch up service which Apple will want to showcase in its next-gem Apple TV, when other providers have 'caught up'

William

William

post #13 of 45
Quote:

At least there's a cricket channel, so you can watch England lose at another sport besides soccer.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #14 of 45
Still waiting for whatever Steve "cracked" to show up. Hopefully we'll at least get some ATV update this fall otherwise it really will be falling behind competitor offerings.
post #15 of 45

lol :D

William

William

post #16 of 45
Quote:
BBC iPlayer is available on other set top boxes so i don't think it's a BBC side issue.

It's reasons like this that I am hopeful they have an App store.  The detractors of this (looking at you Tallest) ask what's the point.  But this is an obvious one.  BBC would absolutely have an app by now if there was a store (as would Vudu, Aero, Amazon, etc).

An app store removes any agenda Apple might have, and they simply just have standard requirements.  Might not be good for Apple to have Amazon or Vudu on their ATV, but it'd be good for several consumers.

Please Apple? :)

post #17 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

This is starting to get pretty awesome. The interface is due for an update, I suspect it is not far off, or perhaps tied to OS 8 .
God I hope so. That UI is stuck in the stone age. John Gruber claims Apple has some of its best engineers working on ATV. Hopefully we see the fruits of their labor soon.
post #18 of 45
Really need a more functional interface.. to many icons to deal with.. needs a new format.
post #19 of 45
ATV is starting to be a bit hard to navigate with all these new buttons. I'm sure Apple is working on a better UI with more streamlined discovery. Hope to see a new version announced in August along with the iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2. iWatch may happen next year, is my guess.
post #20 of 45
Quote:

It's reasons like this that I am hopeful they have an App store.  The detractors of this (looking at you Tallest) ask what's the point.  But this is an obvious one.  BBC would absolutely have an app by now if there was a store (as would Vudu, Aero, Amazon, etc).

An app store removes any agenda Apple might have, and they simply just have standard requirements.  Might not be good for Apple to have Amazon or Vudu on their ATV, but it'd be good for several consumers.

Please Apple? :)

It would be good for Apple if their end goal is to move AppleTVs for profit.  It would be bad if they had some sort of subscription model of their own coming, which I doubt.

I don't see why having an Amazon Prime channel is any different than Netflix (besides Netflix not coming out with Tablets/Phones - but if someone wants to buy an Amazon Fire, why not tempt them to get an AppleTV by allowing them to watch content on it)?

post #21 of 45

The cricket channel? WTF?

At least it's easy to hide icons now, and it looks like I will have four extra icons to hide on my Apple TV when I turn it on later.

post #22 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmanPak View Post

Not if you don't live in the US.

Like their radio streaming. Are there any countries at all outside the US that have it?
OT, I know.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, my opinion, man.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, my opinion, man.
post #23 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Because the BBC wants to restrict access to their content to Brits (and probably to Brits who have TV licenses)?

Most of the channels are locked the US. Adding one that's locked to the UK shouldn't be an issue, especially as users can now hide apps they don't want.

post #24 of 45
Quote:

That's what VPN is for (at least on the web)... ;)

post #25 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

I don't see why having an Amazon Prime channel is any different than Netflix (besides Netflix not coming out with Tablets/Phones - but if someone wants to buy an Amazon Fire, why not tempt them to get an AppleTV by allowing them to watch content on it)?

I want an Amazon Prime channel for sure.

However- the difference between Prime and Netflix is that, in addition to streaming free, you can also purchase and rent shows on Prime- a direct competitor to iTunes.  An educated guess would be that the holdup is Apple doesn't want the Prime app to have that ability, and Amazon does.  Or, Apple just doesn't want Amazon's foot in the door.

The app store on iOS is a different animal- and thats why you can purchase content via the prime app on iPhone/iPad.  It falls within the guidelines of Apple's app-store.  Because the Apple TV doesn't have that- it's 100% up to Apple immediate discretion- not a simple guideline Apple creates for anyone who falls within that agreement.

The only way we see a Prime app on the Apple TV is with- 1) an app store.  or 2) One that doesn't have the ability to rent or purchase

1 seems much more likely.

post #26 of 45
Great, another update that only benefits US customers. Just open the bloody App Store Apple! FFS
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #27 of 45
Quote:

An app store removes any agenda Apple might have, and they simply just have standard requirements.  Might not be good for Apple to have Amazon ... on their ATV, but it'd be good for ... consumers.

I think Bezos would be the one to object to Amazon on Apple TV. ;)

If Amazon did allow an app there it would probably look something like this...

post #28 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Great, another update that only benefits US customers. 

I don't think that that's for Apple to decide. :) 

Foreign video and TV licensing deals is something that Apple does not have control over.

post #29 of 45
Quote:

I want an Amazon Prime channel for sure.

However- the difference between Prime and Netflix is that, in addition to streaming free, you can also purchase and rent shows on Prime- a direct competitor to iTunes.  An educated guess would be that the holdup is Apple doesn't want the Prime app to have that ability, and Amazon does.

If Apple allowed purchases via Apple TV apps they would likely set it up like in the App Store: 30% commission. You think Amazon would agree to that? If not, then who's really the holdup? Just look at what they did to the Kindle app.

Personally, I find the content selection on both Netflix and Amazon Prime to be so poor that I wouldn't enjoy most of it even if it were free, but to each his own.

post #30 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

At least there's a cricket channel, so you can watch England lose at another sport besides soccer.

JFYI They don't play 'soccer' in England, like every country (except the US) on Earth they play football. 1wink.gif
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #31 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

If Apple allowed purchases via Apple TV apps they would likely set it up like in the App Store: 30% commission. You think Amazon would agree to that? If not, then who's really the holdup? Just look at what they did to the Kindle app.

Personally, I find the content selection on both Netflix and Amazon Prime to be so poor that I wouldn't enjoy most of it even if it were free, but to each his own.

If I buy a movie in Amazon's prime app on my iPad- Apple doesn't get a cut from everything Ive read...

post #32 of 45
Quote:

That's very easily done.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #33 of 45
Quote:

JFYI They don't play 'soccer' in England, like every country (except the US) on Earth they play football. 1wink.gif

Sure they do. The origins of the word 'soccer' is British, not American.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/06/the-origin-of-the-word-soccer/
post #34 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrayven View Post

Really need a more functional interface.. to many icons to deal with.. needs a new format.

turn off all the ones you arent using, which are likely many.

post #35 of 45
Quote:

I know they play rugby league, soccer is the one with the round ball.
post #36 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I don't think that that's for Apple to decide. :) 

Foreign video and TV licensing deals is something that Apple does not have control over.

BBC iPlayer is on Xbox, Playstation and most smart TVs. There is no legal or technical impediment stopping Apple from adding iPlayer. 

post #37 of 45
These new additions are (yet again) not available outside the US.

Apple is and wants to be an international company and a large proportion of its cash hoard is held overseas too (meaning it came from international customers) but the Apple TV remains so resolutely US centric, it is practically useless outside the US.

If iOS8 and Yosemite with Handoff and Continuity are planned to use the Apple TV as a major part of the ecosystem, Apple must up its Apple TV game outside the US.
post #38 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by plankton View Post

These new additions are (yet again) not available outside the US.

Apple is and wants to be an international company and a large proportion of its cash hoard is held overseas too (meaning it came from international customers) but the Apple TV remains so resolutely US centric, it is practically useless outside the US.

If iOS8 and Yosemite with Handoff and Continuity are planned to use the Apple TV as a major part of the ecosystem, Apple must up its Apple TV game outside the US.

Curious- what competition does apple have internationally? Isn't Roku almost strictly US as well?

post #39 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Heh. Well done. Any idea if that Cricket Channel is available in Canada?

Also, I've seen references on the Net to ABC being the first news network to stream like this. I don't think that's correct.

While it's not everyone's cup of tea (even moreso than Fox News), CBN News has been broadcasting 24/7 online for years.

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #40 of 45
Quote:

Curious- what competition does apple have internationally? Isn't Roku almost strictly US as well?

That does seem to be part of the problem. There just is a well developed premium streaming world outside of the US so the urgency to expand the ATV isn't there. Of course that could change rapidly should Google ever get it's act together and produce a box with apps that tie into the broader Android world.

The licensing issues are enormous with video and there are legal ones as well. In a way iPlayer is available to the ATV via AirPlay. Perhaps an App Store would partially address the local issues. It's not clear. App stores didn't help Google TV. If anything they only served to point out how different a TV is from a tablet. Even Amazon's Fire TV, which is interesting, is being cautious regarding apps.

More than apps the ATV needs something like an Amazon Prime for content. People seem to like the subscription all you can watch model such as Netflix. Maybe Apple should either start or buy a similar service for its customers.

The games' consoles have an international streaming presence and of course there's the high seas of video.

Philip
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple TV gains 4 new channels, including ABC News with live video