or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple continues to experiment with super-low pricing as new $1,099 iMac already discounted to $979, $830 for students

Apple continues to experiment with super-low pricing as new $1,099 iMac already discounted to... - Page 2

post #41 of 82

You're kidding right? 256GB is not nearly enough storage for a home computer. Between music, photos and movies, 1TB is minimum. I do like the Fusion/hybrid drive so the OS and live on the flash storage and everything just boots and runs faster.

post #42 of 82

Stick any non Apple brand 21 inch monitor with the Mac Mini...and you have how much this iMac should be priced at.

488.69 British Pound Sterling

When I put the edu discount in on top of the best buy discount.

The 'cheap' iMac.  Meh.

£899.  (After jacking the £695 iMac with integrated graphics upto £999 with integrated graphics back in 2008?  Then they go £1099.  Then £1195 with integrated graphics.  Re-he-heally, Apple?  Surprised that desktop sales remained flat?  Plus you had to buy the DVD player they canned for an additional £60...  *Nods, sure...)  So, we're back to a tacid price point.  Not really cheap enough.  The Macbook Air is a better deal, you get an SSD drive in it.  And can buy a 21inch monitor to go with it.

Try again, Apple.

Lemon Bon Bon.

As for the Mac Mini.  Buy an iPad instead.  Or Apple, price the Mini what's it's really worth.  £299 for the entry model.  Doesn't include K/B Mouse or monitor yet it retails £499.   Meh.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

post #43 of 82
1.4 GHz, ...
It seems the A7 is a much better deal.
Apple could sell an iMac for $700,-
post #44 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by amador_o View Post

I find it interesting that with all the recent events, people still accept the idea the government owns everything.

I'm confused by your statement.  Did I insinuate that or something?  I'm just having trouble following what you're saying...

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #45 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

Stick any non Apple brand 21 inch monitor with the Mac Mini...and you have how much this iMac should be priced at.

488.69 British Pound Sterling

When I put the edu discount in on top of the best buy discount.

The 'cheap' iMac.  Meh.

£899.  (After jacking the £695 iMac with integrated graphics upto £999 with integrated graphics back in 2008?  Then they go £1099.  Then £1195 with integrated graphics.  Re-he-heally, Apple?  Surprised that desktop sales remained flat?  Plus you had to buy the DVD player they canned for an additional £60...  *Nods, sure...)  So, we're back to a tacid price point.  Not really cheap enough.  The Macbook Air is a better deal, you get an SSD drive in it.  And can buy a 21inch monitor to go with it.

Try again, Apple.

Lemon Bon Bon.

As for the Mac Mini.  Buy an iPad instead.  Or Apple, price the Mini what's it's really worth.  £299 for the entry model.  Doesn't include K/B Mouse or monitor yet it retails £499.   Meh.
Even Shawn King on Jim Darymple's site said this iMac is too expensive for what you get (as did Macworld). I think AI is the only site that thinks its good value for the money. lol.gif
post #46 of 82
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

As of today, it'll be 609 days.:)

I should know this, because I paid an inordinate amount of attention to it back then, but did the Mac Pro between Clovertown and Penryn go 518 or 618 days? 

post #47 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Even Shawn King on Jim Darymple's site said this iMac is too expensive for what you get (as did Macworld). I think AI is the only site that thinks its good value for the money. lol.gif
Is that before the $120 price break from retailers?
Weren't you the one piping off about how it should be $899? How is $70 off your "dream" price so ridiculous? And $60 less if you have an .edu acct. at $830. How is $830 a bad deal for schools? Id love to hear the drivel you'd spit regarding that.

post #48 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Here's something radical they could do - a two or three slot minitower along the lines of the IIcx or IIci.

In other words, the xMac. A GLARING hole in their product line right now 1tongue.gif

I'd rather have functional than thin, please. And the ability to not only pick but CHANGE my graphics card. Apple flat out SUCKS with their complete lack of GPU selection. It's slightly tolerable on laptops, but inexcusable on desktops to have NOT ONE that lets you pick or change your graphic card.

Lol get over it!

Anyway, Apple's not dumb, as the bottom drops out of the generic PC game, which it is, and will continue to do, they'll drop in to fill the void. They're just following the plan to milk the Mac for all it's worth and move on to the next great thing.
post #49 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1 View Post

You're kidding right? 256GB is not nearly enough storage for a home computer. Between music, photos and movies, 1TB is minimum. I do like the Fusion/hybrid drive so the OS and live on the flash storage and everything just boots and runs faster.

Its enough for me...1TB would be way overkill. Buy an external if you need more space. 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #50 of 82
Wait! The i5-4260U in the new "cheap" iMac costs MORE than the previous low end quad core i5. Apple could have saved money by just dropping the price of the previous model by $200 or $300. It would have been a better value for Apple and for consumers.
post #51 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Same here...such as NY for example. Its mentioned on the NYS Tax Return to enter in all of your purchases. Everyone, and I mean everyone I know just checks the box that says I haven't made any internet purchases that didn't have tax already paid. NY gets enough of my money as it is. They don't need anymore of it. 

Do what busloads of people do daily: hop on one down to the Apple Store in the Christiana Mall in Delaware, not far from the northern border. No sales tax, and you don't need to declare your state's % going there in person, at around $30 roundtrip. In the second smallest state by area (and one of the smallest populations) It's supposedly the biggest seller of certain Apple products in the country except for the NYC 5th Ave store, which is open 24 hours.
post #52 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

[256GB] Its enough for me...1TB would be way overkill. Buy an external if you need more space. 

So what exactly is the point of making the computer smaller and smaller and smaller (and thinner and thinner and thinner) if you're just going to use up the saved space with external storage devices? If the latter makes sense, the former doesn't (and vice-versa).

I suppose 256 might be sufficient if you never create any video yourself and all of your photos and purchased content are in the cloud, but for most people it's not even close to enough. My wife outgrew her 500GB drive just by accumulating photos over the years. I think you underestimate how much storage "ordinary" people use.

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Audio Engineer

post #53 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I should know this, because I paid an inordinate amount of attention to it back then, but did the Mac Pro between Clovertown and Penryn go 518 or 618 days? 

Clovertown was from April 2007.

Penryn is the Core2Duo (desk + lap).

Maybe you mean Harpertown, which was from Jan 2008, so ≈ 8 months.
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
post #54 of 82
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post
Clovertown was from April 2007. Maybe you mean Harpertown, which was from Jan 2008, so ≈ 8 months.

Ah, no, I meant Woodcrest to Harpertown. :(

post #55 of 82
Quote:

Quote:
Clovertown was from April 2007. Maybe you mean Harpertown, which was from Jan 2008, so ≈ 8 months.

Ah, no, I meant Woodcrest to Harpertown. 1frown.gif

Ah, ok. Aug 2006, so ≈ 17 months.
post #56 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

Really? You feel that honesty and ethics are worthy of your scorn and ridicule?

The irony is that your post says much more about YOU than him!

There's nothing unethical about avoiding paying taxes unnecessarily.  So yes, it's most certainly worthy of scorn and ridicule.

post #57 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

There's nothing unethical about avoiding paying taxes unnecessarily.  So yes, it's most certainly worthy of scorn and ridicule.

That actually depends on the definition of "unnecessarily." If it means "voluntarily submitting monies that are not due" you'd be right.

If it means, as in this case, "submitting monies that are due despite the fact that there's very little chance of being punished if you don't" then it becomes a perfect test of ethical conviction.

Either way, even if you think he's wrong, I really don't understand why you would consider that grounds for derision? It doesn't affect you in the slightest. I have a lot of respect for people who are willing to do the right thing without needing the threat of punishment to make them do it.

Audio Engineer

Audio Engineer

post #58 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

sigh.  why is it a glaring hole in their product line.  If they are missing MILLIONS of sales... it's a glaring hole. 1,000s?  not so much.

And never having offered such a product you don't know if it is millions or thousands.

Many Apple users accept compromises on what they end up buying because Apple refuses to fill the void.

You end up with customers but perhaps they aren't as satisfied as they could be.

post #59 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

How long has it been since the last Mini Refresh? I'd love to grab one myself.
I know the answer to that, because the topic came up last night and I looked it up.

As of today, it'll be 609 days.1smile.gif

Only 391 to go. 😃
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #60 of 82

Have patience  it will come eventually.

post #61 of 82
Quote:

Clovertown was added as a top option. I don't know if I would call that a true refresh.

post #62 of 82
Originally Posted by hmm View Post

Clovertown was added as a top option. I don't know if I would call that a true refresh.

Right, it was Woodcrest. I absolutely don’t consider the addition of a single chip to be a refresh, as some do *coughMacRumorscough*

post #63 of 82
Quote:

Right, it was Woodcrest. I absolutely don’t consider the addition of a single chip to be a refresh, as some do *coughMacRumorscough*

Yeah their buyer's guide is really silly, and they have been have incorrect on specs before (even when I sent corrections related to intel cpus). According to everymac, there was a year and 5 months between woodcrest and harpertown. On a side note, someone at intel watches too many spy movies. That would be approximately 515 days (365 + 150). I don't expect them to go that long with the new mac pro. Chipsets change after this as they do every other generation with the EP chips. They'll probably update in the first half of next year, assuming Haswell EP doesn't slide. The base chip model in intel's lineup is supposed to go to a 6 core standard at that point. I haven't looked at AMD lately. I'm more interested in the fact that you can use compute shaders in iOS, although I still haven't gotten around to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

It is against state law in most states. It's just not always enforced. On a very large purchase ($10k+) they would be more likely to notice. It's not actually illegal to order from the out of state vendor. It's just often in violation of certain laws to not pay it after the fact. In cases of willful circumvention such as having something shipped to an out of state address when you reside within the state for the sole purpose of avoiding it (like having something shipped from a vendor in state to a friend out of state who would then ship it to you), that is actually considered sales tax evasion. In that case people have gone to jail as opposed to just receiving an assessment bill.

post #64 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

That actually depends on the definition of "unnecessarily." If it means "voluntarily submitting monies that are not due" you'd be right.

If it means, as in this case, "submitting monies that are due despite the fact that there's very little chance of being punished if you don't" then it becomes a perfect test of ethical conviction.

Either way, even if you think he's wrong, I really don't understand why you would consider that grounds for derision? It doesn't affect you in the slightest. I have a lot of respect for people who are willing to do the right thing without needing the threat of punishment to make them do it.

What do you think of "taxation without representation" and what are your thoughts on your tax money being used to wage senseless wars, unconstitutionally spy on our own citizens and fund the corrupt political structure that created the recession/depression?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #65 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I have that too in Texas.  But I have to look at myself in the mirror, and I have to teach my kids that stealing is wrong- even if it's from an insitution I think over-taxes me as it is.  But that's the "burden" I bear by living in America.  If you're cool teaching your kids to cheat and steal (yes, even a "little" stealing is still stealing), by all means- do it.  That's on you.  Me?  The $500 a year I save on internet sales taxes isn't worth the damage to my character.

Did you start by telling them that you live on stolen property?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #66 of 82
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
Did you start by telling them that you live on stolen property?

Look, I know you’re doing this ONLY to get a rise, but saying something THIS stupid, even as a joke, makes you look as stupid as it says.

post #67 of 82
Quote:

Look, I know you’re doing this ONLY to get a rise, but saying something THIS stupid, even as a joke, makes you look as stupid as it says.

So I guess it was American settlers that named towns, El Paso, San Antonio, San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco, etc, etc, etc.... Did the Mexicans, and the Spanish agree to those borders or were they told where the border was? Go on believing your good ol' American revisionist history. I like to believe the truth.
post #68 of 82
So I guess it was American settlers…

You’re carrying the joke a little too far. Paying for something is not theft.

post #69 of 82
Quote:

You’re carrying the joke a little too far. Paying for something is not theft.

Just because you buy something doesn't mean that the seller had the right to sell it, and last I checked California wasn't part of the Louisiana Purchase.
post #70 of 82
Just because you buy something doesn't mean that the seller had the right to sell it, and last I checked California wasn't part of the Louisiana Purchase.

Last I checked, America paid for the Mexican Cession (and every single one of its territorial gains). In fact, they paid for less than Congress authorized and less than for which Trist was explicitly sent to take.

post #71 of 82
Quote:

Last I checked, America paid for the Mexican Cession (and every single one of its territorial gains). In fact, they paid for less than Congress authorized and less than for which Trist was explicitly sent to take.

Killing hordes of people is very effective in getting someone to sell something that they didn’t want to sell in the first place. What purchase or treaty was gained without the shed of blood?

Btw buying from a thief makes you a thief as well.
post #72 of 82
Killing hordes of people is very effective in getting someone to sell something that they didn’t want to sell in the first place. What purchase or treaty was gained without the shed of blood?

Btw buying from a thief makes you a thief as well.

Ah, so Mexico stole their land–won through revolution–from Spain, did they? Who stole their land from Maya/Oaxaca–won through war–did they? Who stole the land from the mammoths when they crossed the Bering, did they?

I imagine you’d prefer all of humanity return to afroeurasia, then. Never should’ve left the Fertile Crescent.

This is utter nonsense and your belief therein explains a lot about the other things you think.

post #73 of 82
Quote:

Ah, so Mexico stole their land–won through revolution–from Spain, did they? Who stole their land from Maya/Oaxaca–won through war–did they? Who stole the land from the mammoths when they crossed the Bering, did they?

I imagine you’d prefer all of humanity return to afroeurasia, then. Never should’ve left the Fertile Crescent.

This is utter nonsense and your belief therein explains a lot about the other things you think.

Spain isn't innocent either, they were way worse. I guess in your book it's ok to conquer people and take their homelands because they look different and believe in different things? So if you don't like your country means you can go to another and eradicate the people already there because it's your Manifest Destiny to do so?
post #74 of 82

lol, strawmen.

post #75 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

What do you think of "taxation without representation" and what are your thoughts on your tax money being used to wage senseless wars, unconstitutionally spy on our own citizens and fund the corrupt political structure that created the recession/depression?

What you're discussing is a different argument. The topic is why one would ridicule a person who remits taxes even though he might be able to get away with not paying what's owed. You're arguing that taxes are unjust and/or misused. If that's a reason to mock @TeaEarleGreyHot, it means that ANYONE who pays ANY taxes is a fool.

Even if we accept the premise that it's foolish not to seize easy opportunities to cheat, the original question remains: How do the actions of this individual affect anyone else? Why would anyone else care whether he pays or evades? How is following an ethical compass grounds for insult? THAT'S what I don't get, and what I addressed.

One's views about taxes don't change the fact that it's anti-social and unjust to deride someone else for doing what we have collective defined as "right" just because one doesn't like the rules.

Audio Engineer

Audio Engineer

post #76 of 82
Quote:

Quote:

Spain isn't innocent either, they were way worse. I guess in your book it's ok to conquer people and take their homelands because they look different and believe in different things? So if you don't like your country means you can go to another and eradicate the people already there because it's your Manifest Destiny to do so?

Oh come on. We have a hang-up today about race and belief, as though they are so important. People used to conquer each other because they wanted to. It was a way of life, a test of strength, a way of sorting things out. These days, it is more surreptitious, but still common. It's just become mostly non-violent (see Google/Samsung).

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #77 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Oh come on. We have a hang-up today about race and belief, as though they are so important. People used to conquer each other because they wanted to. It was a way of life, a test of strength, a way of sorting things out. These days, it is more surreptitious, but still common. It's just become mostly non-violent (see Google/Samsung).

Do you not watch the news? There's still plenty of violence.
post #78 of 82
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Do you not watch the news? There's still plenty of violence.

Hence the 'mostly.'
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #79 of 82

There is violence all over the world unfortunately.

post #80 of 82

This belongs in the politics section not here!

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple continues to experiment with super-low pricing as new $1,099 iMac already discounted to $979, $830 for students