or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's 5.5-inch 'iPhone 6' to sport optical image stabilization, 4.7-inch version will not

Apple's 5.5-inch 'iPhone 6' to sport optical image stabilization, 4.7-inch version will not

post #1 of 66
Due to supply constraints, Apple's rumored 4.7-inch "iPhone 6" handset is not expected to come with optical image stabilization (OIS) components, one analyst says, though yields may be high enough to include the part in a larger 5.5-inch variant.

In a research note obtained by AppleInsider, noted KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo predicts the smaller 4.7-inch version of Apple's expected iPhone 6 will use a middle-mount open-loop voice coil motor, not an OIS VCM. The part is said to be an updated version of what is being used in the iPhone 5s.

Unlike common VCMs, an OIS system mechanically controls a light path as it travels from lens to sensor either through manipulation of lens elements or the sensor itself. OIS modules are more expensive than middle-mount VCMs and, in some cases, can be heavier as well.

Kuo sees Apple deploying an OIS VCM in the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 to further differentiate the "phablet" from the company's other handset offerings. With superior image quality, the larger iPhone can be marketed as a higher-end device with a substantially different feature set. The analyst estimates the OIS part comes at a $3 or $3.5 premium over the iPhone 5s VCM.

Despite the lack of OIS in the 4.7-inch handset, the middle-mount VCM is said to outperform the current iPhone 5s in terms of focus speed and power efficiency. Put up against competing smartphones, however, the open-loop VCM Apple plans to deploy is deficient. Handsets like Samsung's Galaxy S5 and the upcoming Mi4 from Xiaomi feature closed-loop VCM designs that track focus points for quick focusing and power-efficient operation.

While focus and stabilization hardware may differ between the two models, Kuo is confident that both iPhone 6 versions will use an 8-megapixel Sony sensor customized especially for Apple. Combined with Apple's vertical software and hardware integration, the complete package will likely be a market leader when the device sees launch later this year, Kuo said.

Apple has traditionally shied away from battling rival manufacturers on specs like megapixels, instead focusing on finer details to eke out the highest performance possible from existing platforms. For example, the camera sensor used in the iPhone 5s boosted pixel size to 1.5 microns in diameter, increasing the module's light gathering capabilities by 33 percent compared to the iPhone 5. The change was accompanied by a faster f/2.2 lens group that offered improved low-light performance and higher image quality.
post #2 of 66
It really bothers me that you make the title of the article seem like fact. I'm fine with rumors and I like to hear opinions but you should state this as a "Rumor:" before your sensationalist headline.

I'm stepping off my stump now.
post #3 of 66
Why did I get a notification about this story? This does not seem like that big of a story to warrant a notification to let me know that it's breaking news.
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
post #4 of 66
Nice. Glad there will be some type of hardware differentiation. I wonder if we will see the name 'iPhone Pro' make an appearance. I don't necessarily like the name, but if Apple can offer other forms of hardware differentiation like this, then the name may fit.
post #5 of 66

Total nonsense.

Originally Posted by michaeloftroy View Post
I wonder if we will see the name 'iPhone Pro' make an appearance. I don't necessarily like the name, but if Apple can offer other forms of hardware differentiation like this, then the name may fit.

There’s nothing “professional” about a device too large to be used.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
post #6 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well, nothing screams pro louder than arriving with a caddy.

----

Other than that, OIS as a differentiator makes as much sense as this bunk about the iPhone 5c having no Siri they told us last year. Every single year they bombard us with these shortage stories, and every year initial supply is better than the year before.
post #7 of 66
Is the 4.7 gonna the new 5c and the 5.5 gonna be the new 5s? I think there is gonna be some people disappointed that the 4.7 ip6 is not gonna have the same features as the bigger phone. As I said before I wish they would make these phones with the same software, just the screen sizes are the only difference between them, for people who like the smaller or bigger phones. Hoping that this article is just a rumor because why would you market something if you don't have enough for both phones. Which hence brings me back to my orignal question at the beginning of my thread.
post #8 of 66
That's retarted I hate large phone and the camera really the camera they can't add that 1 thing !! Apple was better with Steve
post #9 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

Why did I get a notification about this story? This does not seem like that big of a story to warrant a notification to let me know that it's breaking news.
That's the first thing that thought. Notifications should be for actual news and not rumors or opinion. This used to be my go to news source for iOS/Mac. If this continues im deleting this app.
post #10 of 66
H
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeloftroy View Post

Nice. Glad there will be some type of hardware differentiation. I wonder if we will see the name 'iPhone Pro' make an appearance. I don't necessarily like the name, but if Apple can offer other forms of hardware differentiation like this, then the name may fit.[/quoteThat would be dumb I don't want a fricken iPad as a phone
post #11 of 66
There still keeping it at 8 megapixels ... The 4S has that and that's will be 4 iphone models ago when the 6 comes out
post #12 of 66
After they made the iPad mini have the same feature set as the iPad Air, I simply don't see them releasing two different feature-sets. Different prices? Maybe 50-100 difference, but I think everything else outside of screen will be identical.

Only idiot phone manufacturers cripple their smaller-screened brethren. I'd hate to see Apple follow in Samsung and HTCs idiotic footsteps.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #13 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphone 3gs View Post

There still keeping it at 8 megapixels ... The 4S has that and that's will be 4 iphone models ago when the 6 comes out

Dang... They released the new iPhone and I missed it? Please provide a link on apple.com

Oh, you took an analysts word as fact? You poor little thing

post #14 of 66
It will really suck if a larger model iPhone has stuff a smaller version doesn't. I don't want to lose premium hardware features just because I don't want an iPhablet. I hope these analysts are wrong. 1rolleyes.gif
post #15 of 66
If they can't make enough of a part to put it in the mainstream iPhone, then it simply can't (yet) be done.

That's no reason to omit it from a higher model.

But PLEASE don't keep increasing the megapixels. It doesn't help image quality, and it's terrible for wasting storage and bandwidth and processing speed.
post #16 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

After they made the iPad mini have the same feature set as the iPad Air, I simply don't see them releasing two different feature-sets. Different prices? Maybe 50-100 difference, but I think everything else outside of screen will be identical.

Only idiot phone manufacturers cripple their smaller-screened brethren. I'd hate to see Apple follow in Samsung and HTCs idiotic footsteps.
Except the iPad mini display isn't as good as the iPad Air's display. I hope Apple doesn't go this route with the iPhone. The only difference should be display size and price (because of bigger display).
post #17 of 66
Quote:

There, their, they're now...
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #18 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

If they can't make enough of a part to put it in the mainstream iPhone, then it simply can't (yet) be done.

That's no reason to omit it from a higher model.

But PLEASE don't keep increasing the megapixels. It doesn't help image quality, and it's terrible for wasting storage and bandwidth and processing speed.
Well the ANALysts MacRumors is quoting claim OIS is an extra $4 or $5 dollars per phone and so Apple will restrict it to the 5.5" model. I hope they're wrong because that's BS. But if it's true at least it will save me some money. I don't want a 5.5" phone and I won't buy the 4.7" model if it has lesser hardware specs just so Apple can protect margins. If Apple forces people to buy the 5.5" model to get the best device I think that will impact sales in a negative way.
Edited by Rogifan - 6/24/14 at 6:14pm
post #19 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljm8283 View Post

Hoping that this article is just a rumor.....

At this point, *everything* about a new iPhone is a rumor.
post #20 of 66
Quote:

Nice. Glad there will be some type of hardware differentiation. I wonder if we will see the name 'iPhone Pro' make an appearance. I don't necessarily like the name, but if Apple can offer other forms of hardware differentiation like this, then the name may fit.

That's a terrible idea. If they make some features exclusive to a jumbo screen model that will create a conflict for the substantial portion of their customers that have no interest in such a large phone. Let's hope this is a false rumor.

post #21 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Total nonsense.

Agreed, there seems to be this media dream that a pro device must be bigger and more unwieldy in order to deserve a "pro" moniker... It drives me up the freaking wall!

From my generation, pro simply meant it can do professional tasks with greater ease, more flexibility, and better quality results than standard.

post #22 of 66
Quote:

I'd rather have a great 8 megapixel photo than a terrible 20 megapixel one. Unless you're printing bloody billboards with that image, it's a complete waste of space and processing power.
post #23 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitstandninja View Post

It really bothers me that you make the title of the article seem like fact. I'm fine with rumors and I like to hear opinions but you should state this as a "Rumor:" before your sensationalist headline.

Absolutely. This is a trend these days, with headlines based on rumors being stated as absolute fact- its a pretty disgusting form of journalistic irresponsibility. How tough it is to type "Rumor:" before the headline? Oh yeah, that won't generate as many clicks. Macrumors has been engaging in this shitty practice for a while, but I always though AI was a bit above that. 

post #24 of 66
Yeah, I'm not biting on this. And I can't lie, I would not be happy if they degraded the flagship $199 model to midrange status.
post #25 of 66
Quote:

facts aside, you do realize that megapixel count isnt what makes a quality image, right? it's the size and quality of the pixels, not the number of. get the "specs!" mindset out of your head.
post #26 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Absolutely. This is a trend these days, with headlines based on rumors being stated as absolute fact- its a pretty disgusting form of journalistic irresponsibility. How tough it is to type "Rumor:" before the headline? Oh yeah, that won't generate as many clicks. Macrumors has been engaging in this shitty practice for a while, but I always though AI was a bit above that. 
What pisses me off more is that mainstream media is getting in on the act with iPhone rumors. There was one on Forbes about apple "abandoning" the headphone jack. They since changed the article headline but the damage was done.
post #27 of 66
I'd love to see someone at Apple, while announcing the new iPhones, explicitly address the trend of making the smaller screen the crappy version and announce that they are against it. With every rumor that comes around I get more nervous that the above would never happen.
post #28 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporlo View Post

I'd love to see someone at Apple, while announcing the new iPhones, explicitly address the trend of making the smaller screen the crappy version and announce that they are against it. With every rumor that comes around I get more nervous that the above would never happen.
My concern is that if a 5.5" model exists it will obviously be more expensive and perhaps Apple will feel the need to give it distinctive features to justify the increased price. I can understand software features that might make more sense on a larger screen. But I see no reason why only the larger phone should get the best camera, except if Apple does it to try and upsell people to the more expensive model. That would be a shame. I know several people who are bummed that the new iPhone is going to be bigger because they like the current size. They would really be bummed if they had to jump all the way to 5.5" to get the best phone.
post #29 of 66
Could the premature whiners about gimping one model please note the first four words of the story?: "Due to supply constraints . . . "
post #30 of 66
Quote:

And Martin Hajeck designed of the next iPhone. Because on this site, rumor = fact. /s

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #31 of 66
Quote:

What pisses me off more is that mainstream media is getting in on the act with iPhone rumors. There was one on Forbes about apple "abandoning" the headphone jack. They since changed the article headline but the damage was done.

The damage is probably limited to anyone who read that rumor and decided to stop waiting for iPhone 6 and buy a Samsung instead (or an iPhone 5S). That's a potential future sale lost.  For everyone else waiting for iPhone 6, only the true feature set will matter when it's announced.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #32 of 66

So basically like the iPad Air and iPad Mini with Retina Display? Yeah, I'd love that to be the case should there be both 4.7" and 5.5" iPhones.

Quote:
 The iPhone is the best, but HTC's One (M8) or the Moto X can be just as good.
Quote:
 The iPhone is the best, but HTC's One (M8) or the Moto X can be just as good.
post #33 of 66

Lies. All lies.

Edited by SpamSandwich - 6/24/14 at 8:03pm

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #34 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljm8283 View Post

Is the 4.7 gonna the new 5c and the 5.5 gonna be the new 5s? I think there is gonna be some people disappointed that the 4.7 ip6 is not gonna have the same features as the bigger phone. As I said before I wish they would make these phones with the same software, just the screen sizes are the only difference between them, for people who like the smaller or bigger phones. Hoping that this article is just a rumor because why would you market something if you don't have enough for both phones. Which hence brings me back to my orignal question at the beginning of my thread.
Or better yet apple release 1 iPhone 6 at 4.7, and release a iPod 6 with a cellular chip version to replace the 5C.
post #35 of 66

Why do people get all upset on this forum? Most of the articles are pure BS or at best  unsubstantiated rumor. Once Apple announces and ships a new product you can complain or praise all you want, until then you are wasting your time and effort for nothing.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

post #36 of 66
Quote:

If true, I object to this kind of differentiation. The myth of "bigger = more premium" is a false god. Totally out of character for the "Every Inch an iPad" company.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #37 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Why do people get all upset on this forum? Most of the articles are pure BS or at best  unsubstantiated rumor. Once Apple announces and ships a new product you can complain or praise all you want, until then you are wasting your time and effort for nothing.

But it's the off-season. Gotta keep in shape.

post #38 of 66

Very simple. If the larger one has it, and the smaller one doesn't, why even switch from my 5? I'll wait. I hope Apple doesn't do something like this. Would be a big buzz killer.

post #39 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Well the ANALysts MacRumors is quoting claim OIS is an extra $4 or $5 dollars per phone and so Apple will restrict it to the 5.5" model. I hope they're wrong because that's BS. But if it's true at least it will save me some money. I don't want a 5.5" phone and I won't buy the 4.7" model if it has lesser hardware specs just so Apple can protect margins. If Apple forces people to buy the 5.5" model to get the best device I think that will impact sales in a negative way.

Oh, noes! Does it offend your sensibilities that they might differentiate the models in some way? What, do you honestly think the iPhone 6 4.7" model wont be powerful or capable enough for you? The iPhone 5S cpu stil blows pretty much everything out of the water, and thats coming on a year old. The 5S camera is still considered the overall best smartphone camera on the market. Stop bing so self-righteous and entitled. If Apple wants to set the pricepoint of the 5.5" model to a higher level, it makes sense that it might have an extra feature or two. You seem to have an extremely childish way of looking at things, especially all your "I wont buy X if Apple does Y" posts. The deciding factor over whether you buy an iPhone will be whether it has optical image stabilization? Good for you and your irrationality. 

Edited by Slurpy - 6/24/14 at 9:57pm
post #40 of 66
If the smaller one has less magic than the larger one, I don't see myself feeling 100% satisfied with either choice. I have been nothing short of 100% satisfied with my 3GS, 4S, and 5S iPhones. Being a fan of the S iteration, I can guarantee I'll sit this one out, but It'll give me a year to thoroughly contemplate cutting my cord w/ Apple and plan my move to Microsoft or Google.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple's 5.5-inch 'iPhone 6' to sport optical image stabilization, 4.7-inch version will not
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's 5.5-inch 'iPhone 6' to sport optical image stabilization, 4.7-inch version will not