or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's 5.5-inch 'iPhone 6' to sport optical image stabilization, 4.7-inch version will not
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's 5.5-inch 'iPhone 6' to sport optical image stabilization, 4.7-inch version will not - Page 2

post #41 of 66
Not another 8 megapixel sensor, please! I know that Apple doesn't like to play the specs game, but they're aiming for mass-market adoption. When the average consumer sees a Galaxy ad claiming twice the megapixels, that could really make Apple look behind in their eyes. While I understand that Apple tends to appeal to the savvier consumer that looks beyond all that marketing gimmickry, 8 megapixels is just too small nowadays.
post #42 of 66
Originally Posted by Moreck View Post
When the average consumer sees a Galaxy ad claiming twice the megapixels, that could really make Apple look behind in their eyes.

 

Then they’ll buy a terrible phone, have a terrible camera, and learn a $200 lesson. Apple absolutely should not increase the megapixelage for any reason other than the right one.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #43 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Then they’ll buy a terrible phone, have a terrible camera, and learn a $200 lesson. Apple absolutely should not increase the megapixelage for any reason other than the right one.

 

Can you explain your signature?

post #44 of 66

They are.

post #45 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post
 

 

Can you explain your signature?

It's #1 on his wish list. :D

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply
post #46 of 66
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Can you explain your signature?

 

A new AI user asked some questions and mentioned offhand that he was banned from MacRumors for saying that. Asked for a screenshot and boom.

 

I found that exceptionally funny, as they tend to allow more pro-Android talk than anywhere that calls itself an Apple website, and particularly because the very mention of a competitor shouldn’t be enough to warrant a ban.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #47 of 66
I'd understand if the 4.7 would be the new flagship model. But to make the 5.5 camera better doesn't make sense. Plus, a smaller phone is in greater need for stabilisation due to low weight, small size. A bigger unit is easier to keep stable.
I might be crazy, but the "iWatch" might be the thing that would differentiate the 5.5 from the 4.7. It'd make sense to develop an iWatch so that you can leave the bigger unit(s) in the bag when taking a call, reading a tweet etc. I don't really think it'll come bundled, but it'd certainly make people queue up for the 5.5.
post #48 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljm8283 View Post

Is the 4.7 gonna the new 5c and the 5.5 gonna be the new 5s? I think there is gonna be some people disappointed that the 4.7 ip6 is not gonna have the same features as the bigger phone. As I said before I wish they would make these phones with the same software, just the screen sizes are the only difference between them, for people who like the smaller or bigger phones. Hoping that this article is just a rumor because why would you market something if you don't have enough for both phones. Which hence brings me back to my orignal question at the beginning of my thread.
I agree with you. Except for paying more for a bigger screen why the heck should the 4.7" be spec' down. Not everyone wants a damn 5.5" phone. Both should have the same specs except for screen size.
post #49 of 66

I am pissed off. How the f* am I going to justify buying 2 phones? I'm still having sleepless nights about not having bought the 5c yet.

post #50 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

Why did I get a notification about this story? This does not seem like that big of a story to warrant a notification to let me know that it's breaking news.

 

Because

 

a) the world doesnt revolve around you,

b) AI can't read your thought.

 

So if you have subscribed to receive notifications about Appleinsider stories, you'll also get stories that might just interest other subscribers. I, for one am excited to learn about changes in the cameras in upcoming models, because photography is a large part of my iPhone use.

post #51 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilly33 View Post

I agree with you. Except for paying more for a bigger screen why the heck should the 4.7" be spec' down. Not everyone wants a damn 5.5" phone. Both should have the same specs except for screen size.

Again- it's just a rumor. No need to be upset. Like I said earlier- if the iPad mini or ipad are an indicator, there won't be a spec difference. I mean, apple just got away from that.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #52 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by foljs View Post

Because

a) the world doesnt revolve around you,
b) AI can't read your thought.

So if you have subscribed to receive notifications about Appleinsider stories, you'll also get stories that might just interest other subscribers. I, for one am excited to learn about changes in the cameras in upcoming models, because photography is a large part of my iPhone use.

Unnecessary comment. I don't think the world revolves around me.

This article is not breaking news. It's not even that large a rumor. Notifications for the announcement of Swift and Healthkit and Homekit makes sense. Notifications for a small rumor does not. I don't care that you find it interesting. The question wasn't about you.
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
Reply
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
Reply
post #53 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post


Unnecessary comment. I don't think the world revolves around me.

This article is not breaking news. It's not even that large a rumor. Notifications for the announcement of Swift and Healthkit and Homekit makes sense. Notifications for a small rumor does not.

 

And yet you still comment as the world revolves around your interests.

 

It's a large rumor for SOME of us. You might not care about it, but I don't care about HealthKit, and you don't see me complaining.

 

Quote:
 I don't care that you find it interesting. The question wasn't about you.

 

Oh, the irony!

 

You commented only to inform AI and its readers that YOU don't find it interesting, and how dare AI send you a notification for this.

 

The fact that OTHERS might find it interesting enough to deserve to be in a notification, never seem to have crossed your mind.

 

You still try to impose your own hierarchy on Apple news ("Camera updates? Not interesting. HealthKit and Homekit? Interesting"), as it's the only valid one, and as if those things that don't interest YOU personally are objectively not worthy of a notification.

post #54 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitstandninja View Post

It really bothers me that you make the title of the article seem like fact. I'm fine with rumors and I like to hear opinions but you should state this as a "Rumor:" before your sensationalist headline.

I'm stepping off my stump now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

Why did I get a notification about this story? This does not seem like that big of a story to warrant a notification to let me know that it's breaking news.

I'm not normally one to complain about the writing style (if you don't like it don't read it), but I completely agree with the above comments. The poor headline combined with the push notification makes this very misleading on first glance. Is it really so hard to put "allegedly" in the title?
Quote:
Originally Posted by foljs View Post

Because

a) the world doesnt revolve around you,
b) AI can't read your thought.

So if you have subscribed to receive notifications about Appleinsider stories, you'll also get stories that might just interest other subscribers. I, for one am excited to learn about changes in the cameras in upcoming models, because photography is a large part of my iPhone use.

Nonsense. If you're the kind of person that has the AI app installed on your phone and receive push notifications, you're also the kind of person who checks the site on your own fairly often. There is nothing time sensitive or groundbreaking about this story that will cause anyone, regardless of interest, to drop what they are doing to read this story. Push notifications should be reserved for things that can't wait.

We see three new analyst opinions every day, and they are universally wrong. What makes this one worthy of push notifications and the others not?
post #55 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by iaeen View Post


I'm not normally one to complain about the writing style (if you don't like it don't read it), but I completely agree with the above comments. The poor headline combined with the push notification makes this very misleading on first glance. Is it really so hard to put "allegedly" in the title?
Nonsense. If you're the kind of person that has the AI app installed on your phone and receive push notifications, you're also the kind of person who checks the site on your own fairly often. There is nothing time sensitive or groundbreaking about this story that will cause anyone, regardless of interest, to drop what they are doing to read this story. Push notifications should be reserved for things that can't wait.

We see three new analyst opinions every day, and they are universally wrong. What makes this one worthy of push notifications and the others not?
You summed it up really well. I'm surprised AI hasn't edited the title with all the backlash on here. At least on of their new articles today that states it's a rumor. Maybe they are listening but don't want to admit fault and that their journalistic integrity is compromised for the sake of sensationalism and page clicks. I'll actually accept that if things change here.
post #56 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphone 3gs View Post

That's retarted I hate large phone and the camera really the camera they can't add that 1 thing !! Apple was better with Steve

Whut?

post #57 of 66

Better focus is one thing, but I would contend that OIS is not necessary at all in either phone.   The iPhone and devices like it are so light and easy to hold that OIS is unnecessary.    And I say that as a photographer who normally shoots with a DSLR and physically large lenses where I really do need some sort of image stabilization.    

 

If you get movement in an iPhone photo, it's because of a long exposure time, not because of phone movement.    OIS only works on phone movement.   

 

I always smile a bit when I shoot video on the iPhone, because it's so easy to keep it steady and have smooth pans and such.   When I shoot video hand-held on my very heavy DSLR, it's virtually impossible to keep it steady even when I use specially designed straps.   Only a tripod or Steadicam-type devices work well. 

post #58 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

Total nonsense.

 

 

There’s nothing “professional” about a device too large to be used.

 

And I doubt, after all the talk from Apple about larger phones, that it will make its larger phone (if in fact there is one), better than the current size. I don't think Apple will further fragment the top end. 

post #59 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by foljs View Post

And yet you still comment as the world revolves around your interests.

It's a large rumor for SOME of us. You might not care about it, but I don't care about HealthKit, and you don't see me complaining.


Oh, the irony!

You commented only to inform AI and its readers that YOU don't find it interesting, and how dare AI send you a notification for this.

The fact that OTHERS might find it interesting enough to deserve to be in a notification, never seem to have crossed your mind.

You still try to impose your own hierarchy on Apple news ("Camera updates? Not interesting. HealthKit and Homekit? Interesting"), as it's the only valid one, and as if those things that don't interest YOU personally are objectively not worthy of a notification.

You typed all that for no reason. What you're failing to see is that notifications weren't sent for other rumors. The question was why this one? Others in this thread have the same question. The question wasn't about you or me. I'm not sure at all why you tried to make this personal. The question is why did AI mislead readers with the title (as others have mentioned) and why did they feel this rumor was so important? They highlight and notify on breaking news items and new releases not so much on rumors.
Edited by alcstarheel - 6/25/14 at 10:36am
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
Reply
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
Reply
post #60 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphone 3gs View Post

There still keeping it at 8 megapixels ... The 4S has that and that's will be 4 iphone models ago when the 6 comes out

 

The iPhone 5s captures beautiful images at 8 megapixels. What makes them beautiful is a redesigned camera sensor that allows for bigger pixels. Bigger pixels equal better photos. And better photos are precisely what inspired the advancements that Apple made with the new iSight camera on iPhone 5s.

 

https://www.apple.com/iphone-5s/camera/

post #61 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post
 

 

The iPhone 5s captures beautiful images at 8 megapixels. What makes them beautiful is a redesigned camera sensor that allows for bigger pixels. Bigger pixels equal better photos. And better photos are precisely what inspired the advancements that Apple made with the new iSight camera on iPhone 5s.

 

https://www.apple.com/iphone-5s/camera/

Bigger pixels do not equal better photos.   But too many pixels in a small space create heat and heat results in noise at high ISOs.   So all things being equal, while higher pixel counts increase resolution, the high pixel density can result in inferior photos, especially in low-light situations, due to the noise, although newer sensors are getting better and better at this.

post #62 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Could the premature whiners about gimping one model please note the first four words of the story?: "Due to supply constraints . . . "
Yes, your point is valid, but gimping small models is not uncommon, and so all we have is the weak hope that Apple won't change. And again, this isn't the first hint of this we've had.
post #63 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

It'd make sense to develop an iWatch so that you can leave the bigger unit(s) in the bag when taking a call, reading a tweet etc. 

 

Who wants a phone that requires a bag to carry around? I need my phone with me all the time so it has to be super light and portable so it fits easily in any pocket.

post #64 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

Who wants a phone that requires a bag to carry around? I need my phone with me all the time so it has to be super light and portable so it fits easily in any pocket.

Some folks would carry a tablet with them all the time if they had their 'druthrers, Obviously an iPad isn't the most convenient thing to carry around so many folk go for the largest screen smartphone they carry conveniently carry. 5.5" display phones do fit a whole lotta pockets where no tablet can, and a bunch'a purses where a tablet would leave that "unsightly bulge". 1smile.gif
Edited by Gatorguy - 8/23/14 at 6:25am
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #65 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


Some folks would carry a tablet with them all the time if they had their 'druthrers, Obviously an iPad isn't the most convenient thing to carry around so many folk go for the largest screen smartphone they carry conveniently carry. 5.5" display phones do fit a whole lotta pockets where no tablet can tread.


I get that, but my desire for a larger screen is trumped by my reluctance to wear dad jeans or '90s cargo pants.

post #66 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Some folks would carry a tablet with them all the time if they had their 'druthrers, Obviously an iPad isn't the most convenient thing to carry around so many folk go for the largest screen smartphone they carry conveniently carry. 5.5" display phones do fit a whole lotta pockets where no tablet can, and a bunch'a purses where a tablet would leave that "unsightly bulge". 1smile.gif
Yeah. I briefly tried a 5.2 inch phone the other day. I withdraw any remarks on 5+ inch being too big. It's positively within jeans pocket domain. I'll be looking forward to a little bit bigger work screen estate.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple's 5.5-inch 'iPhone 6' to sport optical image stabilization, 4.7-inch version will not
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's 5.5-inch 'iPhone 6' to sport optical image stabilization, 4.7-inch version will not