or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google unveils Android L with colorful new 'Material Design' UI, creating 'depth' within pixels

Google unveils Android L with colorful new 'Material Design' UI, creating 'depth' within pixels

post #1 of 109
At its I/O conference on Wednesday, Google took the wraps off Android L, its latest-generation mobile operating system, which has once again been redesigned with a new, colorful look dubbed "Material Design."

Material Design actually goes beyond Android L and represents a new look and feel for all of Google's platforms, extending from phones to tablets and to the Web and desktop. Introduced by Android chief Sundar Pichai as featuring a "fresh, bold and new look," Android L was created with the idea of creating perceived "depth" within pixels.

To allow developers to tap into the new user interface, Android L allows them to specify an "elevation value" for any item within the UI. The operating system then gives correct perspective and proper real-time shadows to that element.

Android L also gives developers the ability to create seamless animations when transitioning between screens. And a new feature called "palette" automatically reads the colors in images to make the user interface around them match.

Material Design comes with new style guidelines for developers for phones, tablets and the Web.

Android L also comes with a new personal unlocking feature, which can allow users to bypass security mechanisms based on a variety of factors. For example, Android L might allow a user to unlock their phone because it knows they are located at home, or because it is connected to a trusted device like a Bluetooth smart watch.

Android L also comes with a new "Extension Pack" that offers what Google claims are "PC gaming" capabilities on high-end smartphones and tablets. To showcase this, the company showcased a demo from developer Epic Games, a company that has also taken the stage to show off mobile titles at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference.

Google also revealed that Android L has a new battery saver mode that can be configured to maximize battery life. Notifications have been improved as well, allowing users to quickly respond to calls or texts while running other apps.

And Android L also has a new feature called "recents" that acts as a place for users to quickly access applications and websites. Open Chrome tabs are listed separately, and any application will be able to have multiple in-app items displayed in this view. Google Search will also now be able to grab information from within applications.

The Android L developer preview will be available for developers Thursday with a system image that will run on the Nexus 5 handset. It will debut on phones and tablets for end users this fall.

post #2 of 109
Android L interface changes are overshadowed by the announcement of Android One IMHO.
melior diabolus quem scies
post #3 of 109
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Look at this presentation slide. They’ve ground up all their shame into a powder, snorted it, and then self-drove around the neighborhood leaving flaming sacks of dog doo on the porches of Apple employees.

Hey, look. DO NOT DISTURB. Wonder where they got that idea.

Android L: Loser. And all the myriad variations we’ll come up with.

Edited by Tallest Skil - 6/25/14 at 1:33pm
post #4 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

3rd party developers? 1wink.gif
post #5 of 109
Yawn.... pffff
post #6 of 109

Wow, look at all of those geeks and perverts in that one picture, sitting there wearing Google Glass on their faces.:lol:

And Android L? What kind of a lame name is that?

post #7 of 109

The biggest news from skimming the Verge seems to be the new ART runtime, meaning the clunky Dalvik VM is gone and Android is now 64bit. Also security patches are now pushed via Play instead of fragmented OS updates (if you ever get them) so that's a good thing for those stuck over there.

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
post #8 of 109
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Comes after K. You know, Lemon Merengue, Lemon Drop. L… 

Not too many candies that start with L that don’t end in -emon, huh.

post #9 of 109
Quote:

So they decided to drop the candy theme, and just call it L instead?

I don't know of any candy called 'L'.

post #10 of 109
Quote:

I'm thinking Lollipop. It even suits the more colorful UI since lollipops come in many colors and flavors.
post #11 of 109
Quote:

Lollipop would be the obvious one, but perhaps they couldn't tolerate the 'suck on that, Apple' headlines that would follow from tech 'journalists'?

Quote:

Wow, look at all of those geeks and perverts in that one picture, sitting there wearing Google Glass on their faces.:lol:

Geeks, yes, perverts, no. If someone wants to take creepy photos of people without them noticing, they're not going to use a camera attached to the side of a pair of glasses. 

Smartwatches with cameras, on the other hand...

post #12 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLite View Post

If someone wants to take creepy photos of people without them noticing, they're not going to use a camera attached to the side of a pair of glasses. 

Actually, I'd say that it's the ultimate device for a pervert, because it's so obvious and up front, and does not need to be hidden.

post #13 of 109
Quote:

Quote:

Licorice?

post #14 of 109
Quote:

Actually, I'd say that it's the ultimate device for a pervert, because it's so obvious and up front, and does not need to be hidden.

I feel like the ultimate device for a pervert is the smartphones we already have. A smartphone is ubiquitous and ordinary, it doesn't attract any attention, it's not memorable, and you've got a legitimate reason for holding it up to look at it. Glass shares the advantage of being able to point it all over the place, but it sticks out like a sore thumb - particularly since people will see someone wearing it and assume they're some sort of Glasshole / creep.

(A phone also doesn't cost $1500, unless you buy one of those incomprehensibly expensive $10000 Android phones http://www.stuff.tv/vertu/vertus-6750-android-phone-gets-you-all-best-clubs/news )

post #15 of 109
Did these toggle designs previously exist on Android? Because they remind me of iOS 7.

DSC_3873.jpg
post #16 of 109
Originally Posted by DarkLite View Post

Lollipop

Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

Licorice?

Lutefisk.

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Did these toggle designs previously exist on Android? Because they remind me of iOS 7.
DSC_3873.jpg

That IS iOS.

post #17 of 109
Lollipop, Licorice, Lifesavers...
post #18 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

DSC_3873.jpg

It reminds you of iOS 7 because it is iOS 7 - look at the top bar!

post #19 of 109
Quote:

They’ve ground up all their shame into a powder, snorted it, and then self-drove around the neighborhood leaving flaming sacks of dog doo on the porches of Apple employees.

Android L: Loser. And all the myriad variations we’ll come up with.

I think it was from an app on Cydia.

post #20 of 109
Quote:

Lutefisk.

That IS iOS.
Oops...
post #21 of 109
And people hate on iOS 7? At least Ive was only in a 5 minute video. Unlike Google who had umpteen people on stage spewing designer geek crap.

DSC_3328.jpg
post #22 of 109
So what current Android phones can upgrade to this?
post #23 of 109
Quote:

And people hate on iOS 7? 

I never had a problem with the design of iOS 7, but the very first version of iOS 7 was a bit heavy and sluggish. I noticed that right away after I installed it on my devices.

I forget which update fixed it, but it's now smooth again and fast, so I have no problems with iOS 7, and it doesn't really matter anyway, because soon we will all be on iOS 8.

post #24 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

The biggest news from skimming the Verge seems to be the new ART runtime, meaning the clunky Dalvik VM is gone and Android is now 64bit. Also security patches are now pushed via Play instead of fragmented OS updates (if you ever get them) so that's a good thing for those stuck over there.

I was just about to post the same observation. That does seem to be very big news indeed. ART is supposed to be over 2x as fast as Dalvik so all the old jibes about Android being slow may not longer apply. They also introduced some new graphics architecture that appears to be similar to Metal that Apple introduced to allow far more intense gaming. This could possibly be the biggest update to Android. 

post #25 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

So what current Android phones can upgrade to this?

They haven't announced that yet. It also depends on how much stuff they're going to push out as Play Services updates (which will reach 93% of devices), or as updates to the individual apps (which will reach anyone who has the old app installed).

post #26 of 109
Quote:

Lutefisk.

I would hardly consider lutefisk a candy (some call it a treat but I think they hang with the same folx that love tripe, menudo...). 👀 You must be a Scandahoovian¡

post #27 of 109
Its a developers conference
post #28 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I was just about to post the same observation. That does seem to be very big news indeed. ART is supposed to be over 2x as fast as Dalvik so all the old jibes about Android being slow may not longer apply. They also introduced some new graphics architecture that appears to be similar to Metal that Apple introduced to allow far more intense gaming. This could possibly be the biggest update to Android. 

I find it interesting that everyone is working on low-level APIs, and not just on mobile devices - AMD did the same thing with their Mantle architecture. Seems to be a new direction that all graphics APIs are taking.

post #29 of 109
Quote:

DSC_3873.jpg

It reminds you iOS 7 because it is iOS 7
post #30 of 109
Quote:

Its the only place they can wear them without getting beaten up.

post #31 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Can someone please explain to me just what the **** these people are doing with Google Glass on their faces while watching the keynote, besides making some sort of douchebag statement? The thing can't even record a clip beyond a few seconds, so its not like theyre recording the keynote. I have no problem with devices like Google Glass when they have a real benefit to the user in that specific situation. But Glass evangelists are insistent on basically wearing them ALL THE TIME, for no fucking reason whatsoever. 

post #32 of 109

Oh sweet, Android Insider has full coverage of Google I/O 2014. *Also see Google ads plastered all over the AI home page*

post #33 of 109
Quote:

I was going to write the same thing... but also add that Lollipop is too "pedo" and Lalapalooza would be just plain... fitting?....1tongue.gif
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
post #34 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

I'm thinking Lollipop. It even suits the more colorful UI since lollipops come in many colors and flavors.

Again... too "pedobear" these days.
post #35 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Can someone please explain to me just what the **** these people are doing with Google Glass on their faces while watching the keynote, besides making some sort of douchebag statement? The thing can't even record a clip beyond a few seconds, so its not like theyre recording the keynote. I have no problem with devices like Google Glass when they have a real benefit to the user in that specific situation. But Glass evangelists are insistent on basically wearing them ALL THE TIME, for no fucking reason whatsoever. 

... and can you imagine anyone of them saying, "Hey there... would you like an Android Lollipop?"..... 1oyvey.gif
post #36 of 109
What a bunch of lame 'glass explorer' dweebs the developers are. Sorry I know that's mean.
post #37 of 109
The in-keynote protests were interesting: people yelling and shouting over the presenters before being ejected. I've never seen that before.

They also had quite a few technical failures during their demonstrations, at least five that I recall. I always feel for people whenever those happen.

Did anybody pick up Eric Schmidt being introduced but it wasn't him? What happened there?

This presentation seemed awfully similar after watching Apple keynotes: UI animations, 64 bit, androidauto, android wear (watches), android TV, health, coding language improvements, and android in the home.
Edited by GTR - 6/25/14 at 11:59am
Smoke me a kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.
post #38 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Can someone please explain to me just what the **** these people are doing with Google Glass on their faces while watching the keynote...

Right at that moment they were looking at the first protester disturbance - a woman.
post #39 of 109
Quote:

Lime Demon!

Ha!

Oh, no.... wait...

Quote:

They haven't officially 'named' it yet....   Kind of like everyone thought 'K' was going to be Key Lime Pie.  'Kit Kat' was a surprise because it is branded.  That frees them up to do things like 'Lifesaver' 

post #40 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

The in-keynote protests were interesting: people yelling and shouting over the presenters before being ejected. I've never seen that before.

This presentation seemed awfully similar after watching Apple keynotes
And it wasn't even Google specific. Something about computers killing people.

Well that's because both keynotes heavily focused on the developer side of things. Which is a good thing.

Something also not mentioned here is one of the presence aware unlock features. They shortly mentioned voice as one of the possible detection methods. They didn't go into detail but I'm curious how that would work.
Edited by Chipsy - 6/25/14 at 12:13pm
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Google unveils Android L with colorful new 'Material Design' UI, creating 'depth' within pixels
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google unveils Android L with colorful new 'Material Design' UI, creating 'depth' within pixels