or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google unveils Android L with colorful new 'Material Design' UI, creating 'depth' within pixels

Google unveils Android L with colorful new 'Material Design' UI, creating 'depth' within pixels - Page 2

post #41 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipsy View Post

Well that's because both keynotes heavily focused on the developer side of things. Which is a good thing.

Seeing eight technologies demonstrated that were demonstrated in another technology keynote almost a month ago earlier is a 'good thing'?

How so?
post #42 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Can someone please explain to me just what the **** these people are doing with Google Glass on their faces while watching the keynote, besides making some sort of douchebag statement? The thing can't even record a clip beyond a few seconds, so its not like theyre recording the keynote. I have no problem with devices like Google Glass when they have a real benefit to the user in that specific situation. But Glass evangelists are insistent on basically wearing them ALL THE TIME, for no fucking reason whatsoever. 

I'm surprised the presenters on stage were not wearing Glass the whole time. How else can they read tweets while in mid-sentence? Oh right, they are trying to concentrate and be polite.

But don't get me wrong, if only these things could be plugged into the cerebral cortex, future Google I/O conferences will just be a data download from the Borg Queen.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #43 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Seeing eight technologies demonstrated that were demonstrated in another technology keynote almost a month ago earlier is a 'good thing'?

How so?
I mean that these developer conference keynotes focussing on developers is a good thing.
post #44 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I'm surprised the presenters on stage were not wearing Glass the whole time. How else can they read tweets while in mid-sentence? Oh right, they are trying to concentrate and be polite.

But don't get me wrong, if only these things could be plugged into the cerebral cortex, future Google I/O conferences will just be a data download from the Borg Queen.
Sorry, she was de-fleshed unless you believe every Cube has a queen.
post #45 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Android L also comes with a new personal unlocking feature, which can allow users to bypass security mechanisms based on a variety of factors. For example, Android L might allow a user to unlock their phone because it knows they are located at home, or because it is connected to a trusted device like a Bluetooth smart watch.

This means your roommates can unlock your Android phone, computer or tablet when you sleep close by with a G-watch. Good one, Google.

post #46 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

This means your roommates can unlock your Android phone, computer or tablet when you sleep close by with a G-watch. Good one, Google.

And how accurate is the geo-fencing. Do I have to be IN the house or within the tagged area of house (which extends in 3 dimensions past the physical structure).
post #47 of 109

I love the smell of competition!! 

post #48 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Comes after K. You know, Lemon Merengue, Lemon Drop. L… 

Not too many candies that start with L that don’t end in -emon, huh.

The "L" stands for "Lard".

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #49 of 109
Quote:

If you are a heavy sleeper, they could also press your finger to a TouchID sensor.

post #50 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Sorry, she was de-fleshed unless you believe every Cube has a queen.

I liked her better with flesh. 1wink.gif

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #51 of 109
Razor thin sans serif fonts are so in right now.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #52 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

And people hate on iOS 7? At least Ive was only in a 5 minute video. Unlike Google who had umpteen people on stage spewing designer geek crap.

DSC_3328.jpg

Wait...isn't that metro??

post #53 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

Wait...isn't that metro??

With an even more offensive palette of colors than Apple was widely criticized for adopting.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #54 of 109
Copycats. "The features in iOS have existed in android for years." And yet, you're just adding quick reply, do not disturb, Android Auto, etc. Yeah rights
post #55 of 109

Lemon, Loliipop, Licorice, Loser, Lard.  Nope, sorry folks, none of these are the secret name behind Android L.

Funny thing, the answer should be obvious.

It's... 

Low-end

I have enough money to last the rest of my life. Unless I buy something. - Jackie Mason
I have enough money to last the rest of my life. Unless I buy something. - Jackie Mason
post #56 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Lutefisk.

So, a disgusting product that leaves a bad taste in your mouth...

I'll wait for Lefsa. Or maybe Rommegrot.

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Audio Engineer

post #57 of 109
Quote:

If you're serious and not just taking an easy shot, you need to move, dude.

I actually thought that to be a really handy feature. For those encumbered with nefarious cohabitants I'm sure it can be turned off.

Audio Engineer

Audio Engineer

post #58 of 109

I kinda like it. It's going the exact OPPOSITE direction of iOS aesthetically -- adding depth instead of removing it. I think the "flat design" approach is a bad idea. An extra dimension (depth) provides another means of delineating elements and reduces perceived clutter.

Honestly, if Android could provide the security Apple offers I might be tempted. But it doesn't so I'm not.

Audio Engineer

Audio Engineer

post #59 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

I kinda like it. It's going the exact OPPOSITE direction of iOS aesthetically -- adding depth instead of removing it. I think the "flat design" approach is a bad idea. An extra dimension (depth) provides another means of delineating elements and reduces perceived clutter.

Honestly, if Android could provide the security Apple offers I might be tempted. But it doesn't so I'm not.
Ooh it has shadows! Android FTW!
post #60 of 109
Did you notice that when Google announced Docs will have full native compatibility with Microsoft Office they did so without once mentioning Microsoft by name> I don't think any competitive platform was mentioned in the entire Google I/O presentation for that matter were they? I like that they concentrated on discussing improvements and products from their own stable without resorting to any bashing of anyone else. Plenty of that already going around without the principals stooping to it.
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #61 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

With an even more offensive palette of colors than Apple was widely criticized for adopting.

That's a web page.  Not the OS.  iOS7 looked like a paint factory exploded on the phone.  In fact Android's Holo look is already very good.  The new design language at first glance seems to be better.  I need to spend a little more time learning about it.

post #62 of 109
Quote:

Are you serious?  You think your phone can be unlocked by an Android wear device belonging to somebody else? :rolleyes:

post #63 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Can someone please explain to me just what the **** these people are doing with Google Glass on their faces while watching the keynote, besides making some sort of douchebag statement? The thing can't even record a clip beyond a few seconds, so its not like theyre recording the keynote. I have no problem with devices like Google Glass when they have a real benefit to the user in that specific situation. But Glass evangelists are insistent on basically wearing them ALL THE TIME, for no fucking reason whatsoever. 

they are complete tools, basking in their front-row toolishness...

post #64 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Did you notice that when Google announced Docs will have full native compatibility with Microsoft Office they did so without once mentioning Microsoft by name> I don't think any competitive platform was mentioned in the entire Google I/O presentation for that matter were they? I like that they concentrated on discussing improvements and products from their own stable without resorting to any bashing of anyone else. Plenty of that already going around without the principals stooping to it.

Not by name, but there were a couple of jibes about 'other companies' when they brought up the timeline of major Android features and highlighted how Intents, multitasking and the like were added back in 2008.

post #65 of 109
In one day we have Android L with several features that appear to be inspired by iOS, Android TV, Android in the Car and AndroidWatch.

And they say only Samsung is copying Apple's playbook

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #66 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

iOS 7 is flat in neither intent nor fact. Rather, Apple has used effects like transparency to give a sense of depth and layering to the UI. What Google is doing here is imitating Apple plain and simple.
post #67 of 109
I think shadows make for better separation than blurs or transparency.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #68 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLite View Post

Not by name, but there were a couple of jibes about 'other companies' when they brought up the timeline of major Android features and highlighted how Intents, multitasking and the like were added back in 2008.

Before iOS 4:  "LOL ur phone don't have multitaskin"
After iOS4: "Oh noe u stoled our ideea"                              

And thats it for this episode of *Crap android fanboys say* Tune in next time for "but our phones had big skreen b4 urz"

Edited by overklockd - 6/27/14 at 7:49am
post #69 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

It reminds you iOS 7 because it is iOS 7
WTF…
post #70 of 109
Hands down Google has lost its i ovation for days. This is Google iOS 7. Just mod the dam droids to run iOS. Google, well we're out of ideas for android so lets just make iOS 7 for android. I hope Apple sure the day lights out of Google and people relies all this forgery they've done.
post #71 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by os2baba View Post

That's a web page.  Not the OS.  iOS7 looked like a paint factory exploded on the phone.  In fact Android's Holo look is already very good.  The new design language at first glance seems to be better.  I need to spend a little more time learning about it.
Sorry I don't see anything that fantastic with Android redesign. Even some of the comments on the Verge agreed. That's saying something since most of the commenters on the Verge are Google fanboys
post #72 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeiP5 View Post

WTF…
I posted a screen shot of a Google iOS app.
post #73 of 109
Wait… he wants android to ink ate faster? Well when your at 0 then sure. Here's a good start stop copying Apple ideas.
post #74 of 109
Quote:

Android users make enough money where we don't need roomates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

iOS 7 is flat in neither intent nor fact. Rather, Apple has used effects like transparency to give a sense of depth and layering to the UI. What Google is doing here is imitating Apple plain and simple.

Apple's transparency is to give depth on "shades" that are pulled up, i.e. notification center and quick controls.  Google's version is to give depth to objects on pages to highlight items or to make actionable items more noticeable.  There's quite a difference

post #75 of 109
I literally just face palmed. Some android users thought it would be called Lollipop, buys it called Android L. WHAT DO YOU THINK THE L STANDS FOR?
post #76 of 109
It's seems continuity was also high jacked.
post #77 of 109

tHAT IS AN APP ON Ios7

post #78 of 109

Quick reply has been in Android for years

post #79 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Ooh it has shadows! Android FTW!

I think the extra dimension improves usability. It's actually fine with me if you don't but it would be easier for me to respect your opinion if you stated it without insulting mine.

Edited by Lorin Schultz - 6/26/14 at 4:52am

Audio Engineer

Audio Engineer

post #80 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

In one day we have Android L with several features that appear to be inspired by iOS, Android TV, Android in the Car and AndroidWatch.

And they say only Samsung is copying Apple's playbook

Right because iWatch was a serious competitive inspiration for Google's design here!

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Google unveils Android L with colorful new 'Material Design' UI, creating 'depth' within pixels
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google unveils Android L with colorful new 'Material Design' UI, creating 'depth' within pixels