or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google unveils Android L with colorful new 'Material Design' UI, creating 'depth' within pixels
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Google unveils Android L with colorful new 'Material Design' UI, creating 'depth' within pixels - Page 3

post #81 of 109
I love this tweet from John Gruber. 1biggrin.gif And for all the complaints about visual clues in iOS 7/8, WTF are a triangle, circle and square supposed to represent?

@gruber: I’m so sick of iOS’s borderless buttons, I’m going to switch to Android. Wait, what? http://t.co/RluN1yH2By

Original Message:
http://twitter.com/gruber/status/481928381509140480

BrAnTzpIMAAj1nN.jpg

And people think Apple gets too pretentious and self important about its designs? WTF is this bullshit?

BrADVrVIEAE_3mz.png
post #82 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

Wait...isn't that metro??

It looks like Fisher-Price designed it. Terrible.
post #83 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeiP5 View Post

It's seems continuity was also high jacked.

With the Android Phone to the HDTV demo? Perhaps, but I thought that was really closer to AirPlay in that it was showing info on the TV from the phone. Continuity/Handoff would need to work between other devices and I doubt many Android users have Chrome machines so unless Google makes an app for Windows that can handle this I doubt it will happen.

Do you have a time in the video so we can check it out?

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #84 of 109
It's really great to see software companies all taking design so seriously nowadays. I mean, first there was MS and their redesign of Windows 8 (no comment on its functionality or looks) - they realised that users want a cohesive experience across all devices and platforms. Then came Apple with iOS7. (though they've always been brilliant at design, anyone remember the anecdote about Jobs firing someone because they said typography wasn't important?) I suppose iOS and Mac OS X have always been well-designed, though a shake-up was long overdue for the former and somewhat exciting for the latter. Those two, I hazard, will be a cohesive experience done right. And now finally Google has jumped on board with their new design language, "Material Design" (ignoring the fact it will probably never reach 90% of current Android devices).

I think that the aesthetics and tone of the UIs really represent their parent companies. Windows 8 is MS's effort to reinvent themselves as fun and colourful and modern. iOS 7/8 and Mac OS X 10.10, with the subtlety of the Gaussian blur and relatively sparing colourfulness (in terms of app menus ect), represented Apple's serious and careful nature. And now "Material Design" represents Google and their fun, light-hearted, and modern approach to everything they do.

Comparing this to the 80s and 90s, when a good UI was one that did the job, not one that helped the user to do the job better, this is a welcome progression.
post #85 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

In one day we have Android L with several features that appear to be inspired by iOS, Android TV, Android in the Car and AndroidWatch.


And they say only Samsung is copying Apple's playbook

Don't you think there should be a little give and take? I mean in the last 3 years alone Apple has borrowed liberally from Android.

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-copied-android-in-ios-7-2013-6?op=1

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-copied-features-2014-6

http://time.com/2818206/ios-8-android/

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/burnette/apple-copies-a-bunch-of-features-from-android-calls-it-ios5-updated/2295
post #86 of 109
More Google gobbledygook lol.gif

BrAtFlsIgAEWEaX.png
post #87 of 109
I guess Android L is what Tim Cook was referring to when he talked about the 'toxic 'ell stew.'
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #88 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

And people hate on iOS 7? At least Ive was only in a 5 minute video. Unlike Google who had umpteen people on stage spewing designer geek crap.

DSC_3328.jpg

Someone in the forums said Apple made iOS 7 full of bright screens and colors because Android dare not go there for fear of draining their precious battery life by lighting up all those jumbo sized OLEDs.

Looks like I was wrong! Google fell for it! lol.gif

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #89 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post


Someone in the forums said Apple made iOS 7 full of bright screens and colors because Android dare not go there for fear of draining their precious battery life by lighting up all those jumbo sized OLEDs.

Looks like I was wrong! Google fell for it! lol.gif

I think Samsung is the only major OEM pushing AMOLEDs; after all, it's their own technology. Most others use IPS. 

post #90 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I love this tweet from John Gruber. 1biggrin.gif And for all the complaints about visual clues in iOS 7/8, WTF are a triangle, circle and square supposed to represent?

I dunno but if they add an X button to that, they can call it PlayStation. lol.gif

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #91 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

3rd party developers? 1wink.gif
/s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Wow, look at all of those geeks and perverts in that one picture, sitting there wearing Google Glass on their faces.lol.gif

And Android L? What kind of a lame name is that?
Android L is better then naming it a dessert, that way when they say android so much better "insert android version" you are thinking that a $50 month supply of dessert is better then one of there $50 devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Look at this presentation slide. They’ve ground up all their shame into a powder, snorted it, and then self-drove around the neighborhood leaving flaming sacks of dog doo on the porches of Apple employees.

Hey, look. DO NOT DISTURB. Wonder where they got that idea.

Android L: Loser. And all the myriad variations we’ll come up with.
Wonder where the quick reply idea came too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

So what current Android phones can upgrade to this?
Probably 0-5% like usual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

Oh sweet, Android Insider has full coverage of Google I/O 2014. *Also see Google ads plastered all over the AI home page*
You could send them a email via gmail to recommend different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

This means your roommates can unlock your Android phone, computer or tablet when you sleep close by with a G-watch. Good one, Google.
To make the experience all the better, (they don't me user, but hacker).

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

If you are a heavy sleeper, they could also press your finger to a TouchID sensor.
You can steal a iPhone and try fake fingerprints or steal a android phone and watch with no security, which is easier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNosey View Post

Copycats. "The features in iOS have existed in android for years." And yet, you're just adding quick reply, do not disturb, Android Auto, etc. Yeah rights
They would complain either way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by os2baba View Post

Are you serious?  You think your phone can be unlocked by an Android wear device belonging to somebody else? 1rolleyes.gif
Who said that, and wonder how easy it would be to fake with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

In one day we have Android L with several features that appear to be inspired by iOS, Android TV, Android in the Car and AndroidWatch.


And they say only Samsung is copying Apple's playbook
We know almost everybody's copied apple, wheather they admit or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Someone in the forums said Apple made iOS 7 full of bright screens and colors because Android dare not go there for fear of draining their precious battery life by lighting up all those jumbo sized OLEDs.

Looks like I was wrong! Google fell for it! lol.gif
10 minutes or 15 minutes, still going to need a case that 10 times the size of a 5S.
post #92 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

I think Samsung is the only major OEM pushing AMOLEDs; after all, it's their own technology. Most others use IPS. 

It's nice having the same battery life whether your screen is mostly dark or mostly bright. iPhones users don't have to fret about these things.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #93 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

It's nice having the same battery life whether your screen is mostly dark or mostly bright. iPhones users don't have to fret about these things.

It is, not to mention excellent color representation without using clever ways to cheat on the number of pixels by skimping on sub pixels, but I digress. I think it may behoove Apple to use an OLED display in this rumoured iWatch because it should show a couple simple lines to denote the time while the rest of it is black. This might be a way to maintain a luxury face appeal without using much power.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #94 of 109

Android L (lag)

post #95 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post
 

If you are a heavy sleeper, they could also press your finger to a TouchID sensor.

 

Sure, but that's far less likely.

It's like the difference between shooting someone and knifing someone. :P

 

I have to watch the press conference, I haven't seen it yet. But certainly, the new OS does look very "iOS" (which is fine, I'm kind of over the whole who-borrowed-what stuff - I think it's pretty clear for anyone who isn't biased).

post #96 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post
 

 

Can someone please explain to me just what the **** these people are doing with Google Glass on their faces while watching the keynote, besides making some sort of douchebag statement? The thing can't even record a clip beyond a few seconds, so its not like theyre recording the keynote. I have no problem with devices like Google Glass when they have a real benefit to the user in that specific situation. But Glass evangelists are insistent on basically wearing them ALL THE TIME, for no fucking reason whatsoever. 

 

I was contemplating saying something about these guys, but then I thought it would just be a cheap shot.

 

I'm just glad you exist Slurpy. You call a spade a spade.

 

Actually, you call a spade a f**king spade!

post #97 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

And people hate on iOS 7? At least Ive was only in a 5 minute video. Unlike Google who had umpteen people on stage spewing designer geek crap.

DSC_3328.jpg

 

 

Thanks for the screenshot lady. The AI article didn't do a good job of showing what exactly the new UI was like.

This one sums it up nicely.

 

I don't have an opinion.

post #98 of 109

The reason that it's currently called Android L is because it's still a developer preview. Once L is released, it will get a proper name.

 

This is a big change. In the past, Google have worked with one manufacturer to create a flagship device for each release. Only once this flagship device was shipped did the other manufacturers get their hands on the new OS version. We've all seen the results - rushed updates and phones dropping off the support list very quickly. Google have now moved to a model closer to Apple's, giving manufacturers and developers time to update their products before the next version of Android is released.

post #99 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

In one day we have Android L with several features that appear to be inspired by iOS, Android TV, Android in the Car and AndroidWatch.


And they say only Samsung is copying Apple's playbook

It's almost as though both sides should drop the 'we had feature X first' dick-waving and realise that competing products are always going to inspire one another, and that the consumer is the biggest winner when that happens.

post #100 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I dunno but if they add an X button to that, they can call it PlayStation. lol.gif
lol.gif1biggrin.gif
post #101 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post


Someone in the forums said Apple made iOS 7 full of bright screens and colors because Android dare not go there for fear of draining their precious battery life by lighting up all those jumbo sized OLEDs.

Looks like I was wrong! Google fell for it! lol.gif

 

 

Sooooooo. No one realizes that this ISN'T the OS itself..? It's a website to test drive Polymer. But that's none of my business, though.

post #102 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post
 

 

 

Thanks for the screenshot lady. The AI article didn't do a good job of showing what exactly the new UI was like.

This one sums it up nicely.

 

I don't have an opinion.

 

That is not Android UI

post #103 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post
 

The reason that it's currently called Android L is because it's still a developer preview. Once L is released, it will get a proper name.

 

This is a big change. In the past, Google have worked with one manufacturer to create a flagship device for each release. Only once this flagship device was shipped did the other manufacturers get their hands on the new OS version. We've all seen the results - rushed updates and phones dropping off the support list very quickly. Google have now moved to a model closer to Apple's, giving manufacturers and developers time to update their products before the next version of Android is released.

 

The trouble with updates is at least partly due to the pace of releases. Every OS release involves a certain amount of overhead when you are coordinating with all the manufacturers and carriers. If, like, Apple you do one launch a year, you have more time to make sure all the ducks in a row at launch time than if you were to iterate twice or more per year. Google operates on the philosophy of "release early, release often." The semi-annual release cycle of Android as of 4.0 is actually much more leisurely than what it used to be.

 

If the update situation improves, it will only be because the release cycle has slowed down now that the OS is relatively mature.

post #104 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

The trouble with updates is at least partly due to the pace of releases. Every OS release involves a certain amount of overhead when you are coordinating with all the manufacturers and carriers. If, like, Apple you do one launch a year, you have more time to make sure all the ducks in a row at launch time than if you were to iterate twice or more per year. Google operates on the philosophy of "release early, release often." The semi-annual release cycle of Android as of 4.0 is actually much more leisurely than what it used to be before the OS had matured.

At the same time the security updates and API additions are coming much faster than they ever have, approximately every 6 weeks. So rather than wait until a completely new OS ships Google is updating their vision of Android several times a year. Somewhat surprisingly that puts 93% of all active Google Android devices on the latest Play Services version and implementing the latest Google enhancements. In addition google has unbundled the major services (and de-coupled the carriers) from Android and moved the update process to Google Play.

I don't consider Forbes as making an Apples to Apples 1wink.gif comparison but otherwise they offer a good explanation of why OS versions don't matter nearly as much
http://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspence/2014/06/25/google-has-93-of-android-users-on-the-latest-google-play-service-outperforming-apples-ios7-adoption-rate/
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #105 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


At the same time the security updates and API additions are coming much faster than they ever have, approximately every 6 weeks. So rather than wait until a completely new OS ships Google is updating their vision of Android several times a year. Somewhat surprisingly that puts 93% of all active Google Android devices on the latest Play Services version and implementing the latest Google enhancements. In addition google has unbundled the major services (and de-coupled the carriers) from Android and moved the update process to Google Play.

 

This statement makes you a liar.

 

You have posted several times in the past that Google Play Services updates Android where I stated that it did not as it could only update items within Apps themselves. Now Google has expanded Google Play Services to make it possible to make security updates as well. Basically, my prior statements regarding Google Play Services were correct and your were not.

 

So, were you lying when you made those statements in the past? Or just ignorant? I'm going to have to say the former.

post #106 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

This statement makes you a liar.

You have posted several times in the past that Google Play Services updates Android where I stated that it did not as it could only update items within Apps themselves. Now Google has expanded Google Play Services to make it possible to make security updates as well. Basically, my prior statements regarding Google Play Services were correct and your were not.

So, were you lying when you made those statements in the past? Or just ignorant? I'm going to have to say the former.

Ah, the "lie" word again. How many times have you dragged it out today yet never details when you're put on the spot? Give me an example post where I stated Google updates the Android version via Play Services. According to you there's several to choose from. Let's see who tells the truth. 1hmm.gif

As far as security enhancements delivered via Google Play Services I can think of three right off tho there may be more. First remote wipe, delivered via Play Services several months ago. If your Android device is stolen users of Android 2.3 and up now had a way to wipe data from that phone to help secure their personal information. No need to wait on a new OS version to get it.

There's Verify Apps, which checks for malware during app installs, even from third party stores. Questionable new apps would prompt a security warning that it wasn't safe to continue with the install. Proceed at the users risk. Also done via Google Play Services for virtually every Android user without the need to wait on an OS version update that the manufacturer might never offer.

Then more recently an enhancement for Verify apps updating it's security features to constantly scan already installed applications in the background for malicious app activity. That 's meant as a new security feature covering those apps that morph after install. Again via Play Services, no OS version update required. You sir are assuming that because the most recent Play Services 5.0 extends the types of updates that enhance user security even more that no security improvements were delivered via Play Services prior to this. That would be incorrect.

Your frequent egregious trolling doesn't do the forums any favor. If you want to have a discussion I'm all for it. If you only have insults and ad hominems left why do you bother? Find a topic where you can be helpful instead.
Edited by Gatorguy - 6/26/14 at 5:55pm
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #107 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


I don't consider Forbes as making an Apples to Apples 1wink.gif comparison but otherwise they offer a good explanation of why OS versions don't matter nearly as much
http://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspence/2014/06/25/google-has-93-of-android-users-on-the-latest-google-play-service-outperforming-apples-ios7-adoption-rate/

I don't believe a word coming out of Google's mouth.
post #108 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I don't believe a word coming out of Google's mouth.

Certainly fair enough. You're not alone in your sentiments.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #109 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post
Quote:
 Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

This statement makes you a liar.

You have posted several times in the past that Google Play Services updates Android where I stated that it did not as it could only update items within Apps themselves. Now Google has expanded Google Play Services to make it possible to make security updates as well. Basically, my prior statements regarding Google Play Services were correct and your were not.

So, were you lying when you made those statements in the past? Or just ignorant? I'm going to have to say the former.


Ah, the "lie" word again. How many times have you dragged it out today yet never details when you're put on the spot? Give me an example post where I stated Google updates the Android version via Play Services. According to you there's several to choose from. Let's see who tells the truth. 1hmm.gif

As far as security enhancements delivered via Google Play Services I can think of three right off tho there may be more. First remote wipe, delivered via Play Services several months ago. If your Android device is stolen users of Android 2.3 and up now had a way to wipe data from that phone to help secure their personal information. No need to wait on a new OS version to get it.

There's Verify Apps, which checks for malware during app installs, even from third party stores. Questionable new apps would prompt a security warning that it wasn't safe to continue with the install. Proceed at the users risk. Also done via Google Play Services for virtually every Android user without the need to wait on an OS version update that the manufacturer might never offer.

Then more recently an enhancement for Verify apps updating it's security features to constantly scan already installed applications in the background for malicious app activity. That 's meant as a new security feature covering those apps that morph after install. Again via Play Services, no OS version update required. You sir are assuming that because the most recent Play Services 5.0 extends the types of updates that enhance user security even more that no security improvements were delivered via Play Services prior to this. That would be incorrect.
 

I don't think Google Play Services could update libraries hard-coded in the system. On the other hand, the system does provide a broad set of low level APIs in the first place, which makes it possible to deliver some security features via apps. For example, there is a "PackageManager" class that the Google Play Services app presumably uses to inspect installed apps (http://developer.android.com/reference/android/content/pm/PackageManager.html). 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Google unveils Android L with colorful new 'Material Design' UI, creating 'depth' within pixels
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google unveils Android L with colorful new 'Material Design' UI, creating 'depth' within pixels