or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Apple to limit 128GB 'iPhone 6' option to 5.5-inch model
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rumor: Apple to limit 128GB 'iPhone 6' option to 5.5-inch model

post #1 of 56
Thread Starter 
According to a rumor out of China, Apple may release a 128GB version of its next-generation iPhone, but restrict the option to a higher-end 5.5-inch model in a bid to differentiate the "phablet" device from the company's stable of smartphones.

Alleged 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch iPhone 6 mockups with iPhone 5s. | Source: TechSmartt via YouTube


Citing sources familiar with Apple's supply chain, Chinese Apple blog Feng.com claims Apple will limit its 128GB "iPhone 6" offerings to a rumored 5.5-inch handset, meaning the supposed 4.7-inch version will carry over the current maximum capacity of 64GB.

The report comes on the heels of another questionable rumor from Wednesday that predicted Apple's next iPhone will launch on Sept. 19. Coming from Chinese Internet firm Tencent, the date is thought to be an estimated guess that happens to line up with similar claims made by German wireless provider Deutsche Telekom in May.

Relating to Thursday's rumor, Tencent claimed Apple's new handset will launch in 32GB and 64GB capacities for about $850 and $1,000, respectively. No mention was made of a 16GB model, suggesting the company may ditch the lowest-end model altogether.

A theory put forth by noted KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, Apple may be looking to further differentiate a larger 5.5-inch iPhone version from its smaller-screened siblings. Kuo said in a report earlier this week that the larger model will likely feature a rear-facing camera module with optical image stabilization, while the 4.7-inch variant will go without.

While mere speculation, Apple could be pushing users toward new iCloud pricing plans that build on the current 5GB of free storage by adding 10GB for $20 per year, or 20GB for $40 per year.

When the next-gen iPhone lineup launches, many expect a complete redesign with thinner profiles, relocated sleep/wake button and advanced "A8" processor. Apple has already released two beta versions of the forthcoming iOS 8 that will power the unannounced devices, though the latest builds yield little information about the new hardware.
post #2 of 56
And the image has "Android ice cream" in the background, etc... Really? Dicey image I think.
post #3 of 56
umm iCloud pricing has changed.. it's $.99 /mo for 20GB or $3.99/mo for 200GB

You quoted OLD pricing in article..
post #4 of 56

I used to be desperate for a larger capacity iPhone but iTunes Match has persuaded me that 64GB is fine.

post #5 of 56

Why do we have, 'alleged mockups' and 'questionable rumours'? A mockup is not the real deal and a rumour isn't a report.

 

A 5.5" iPhone would be an interesting proposition from my perspective. I'm due for a new iPad and iPhone in September and rather than buying both, the obvious question is whether the iPhone alone would suffice. With some advances, it might. Pertinent to my thinking is that:

 

[1] I wear glasses now to read anything on a device smaller than my beautiful 27" iMac screen. No change there.

 

[2] A single device would certainly be convenient.

 

[3] I have very big hands, I can easily grab my 9.7" iPad across its width to pick up, so, now problem there for single hand use.

 

[4] I could spend more on the one device, even buying a bigger iPhone without a contract.

 

[5] The new device needs to sit happily in the back pocket of my cycling jersey.

 

[6] The biggest iPhone it seems, might sport unique features. This would always attract a tragic such as myself.

 

Interested to know what factors would enter into the buying decision of others in this community.

 

All the best.

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #6 of 56
The new iPhone 6 and the two sizes..

With iP6-big = Have only 64Gb and boost the battery capacity with the other "64Gb of space" that would been used to the 128Gb space in phone...

With iP6-tiny :-p = or on both.. take away the lighting cable and put some more smaller processors to help with small tasks that helps the battery, or use every nanometer of space to battery. And for transfer information its WiFi/BT, and for the electricity its does wireless-power-stations.

It would be a nice feature on iPhone 6, if they have a battery life that would last not one day, but 1 week or month in standby mode.

Its like waiting for christmas with the iPhone 6 premiere, in about 3 moths ;-)
post #7 of 56
I really would prefer if they stopped making the phone bigger -- I get that there's a need in the market, so they want a bigger option, but why is the small one getting bigger also? I want my phone as small as possible while maintaining function; until they make a clamshell iPhone, people like me will contemplate a switch every time the increase the size of this thing.
post #8 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

I really would prefer if they stopped making the phone bigger -- I get that there's a need in the market, so they want a bigger option, but why is the small one getting bigger also? I want my phone as small as possible while maintaining function; until they make a clamshell iPhone, people like me will contemplate a switch every time the increase the size of this thing.

A "switch" to what, exactly? You do know that there won't be a single smaller premium phone offered by anyone else, right? That's why Apple can safely enlarge the sizes. People that don't like it don't have viable options for a smaller size from anyone else anyway.
post #9 of 56
I really hope these rumors aren't true. Some people don't want an "iPhablet". Why should they have to settle for inferior options just because they prefer a smaller size? Plus Apple's pretty much gone away from that differentiation with the iPad. Don't see why the iPhone should be different.
post #10 of 56
I absolutely hate these mockups that increase the height of the forehead and chin when they increase the display size.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #11 of 56
I think the Big Phat Phone thing needs to run its course and the marketplace will ultimately decide which form factors are worth keeping around. This has already happened with laptop/notebook computers (and many other products like cars) and the tendency seems to be to settle on a small number of sizes that satisfies the most number of people. Today we really don't know where that will be with smartphones. When making calls was the only thing a cell phone had to do smaller was almost always better. With smartphones making calls is often one of the least used capabilities (but still ahead of NFC) so smallness is no longer better. The universal archetype for all smartphones, the original iPhone, was a monster compared to cell phones of the day. But now that fewer people care about the calling capability, except while driving of course, the iPhone is no longer a monster.

In fact, I'm still skeptical that we'll be seeing a 5.5" iPhone and think it may just be the next iPod Touch which ought to be called the iPad Micro or iPad Game. We'll see.

There's nothing magical or innovative about deciding on the optimal size for a product once you have the ability to scale it up or down while retaining a good feature mix. It's simply one of many variables in the equation. Smartphone sizing is still an experiment in progress and one that Apple will no doubt have to contend with in future products.

I think Apple recognizes the size dilemma but they've tried to not turn their customer base into a giant pool of guinea pigs like most of the other smartphone vendors have done. Apple at least tries to put the customer first and recognizes that they actually need to get productive value from products from day one. Other vendors, Samsung in particular, has absolutely no problem viewing products as hobby projects and toys and customers as guinea pigs. If you enjoy the playful fun of being a paying product tester then riding the Galaxy Roller Coaster may be a hoot. If you need to get stuff done and need reliability and predictability the iPhone may be right there in your comfort zone.
post #12 of 56

Doesnt make sense.  Because Money.

 

Look I love Apple as much as the next fan.  I have iPhone, iPad, iPod, AppleTV, Mac, Airport, etc.  And if there's one thing I've learned from buying these devices is that Apple is first and foremost a hardware company.  Meaning the vast majority of their profits come from hardware.  There is no way in hell they would miss out on the opportunity to sell a $899 128GB iPhone6 with a 4.7" screen to those consumers who wish to own one.  Especially when you consider that the only difference between the $599 16GB iPhone6 with a 4.7" screen.. would be $200 in profit for Apple and the extra 112GB flash memory for the consumer.

 

Here is my guesstimate pricing for the new iPhone6 coming in Sept:

$599 16GB iPhone6 with a 4.7" screen

$699 32GB iPhone6 with a 4.7" screen

$799 64GB iPhone6 with a 4.7" screen

$899 128GB iPhone6 with a 4.7" screen

 

$699 16GB iPhone6 Max with a 5.5" screen

$799 32GB iPhone6 Max with a 5.5" screen

$899 64GB iPhone6 Max with a 5.5" screen

$999 128GB iPhone6 Max with a 5.5" screen

post #13 of 56
They come out with the 128 gig option and it's only for the larger screen? That would really suck. I'm still holding out hope for a 4 inch phone that gives a 128 gig option then I can just tell Apple
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
Reply
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
Reply
post #14 of 56
I really dont like all these rumors pointing out that the 5,5" will contain more features than the 4,7". Imo they should be the same in hardware, just a difference in size (and battery capacity ofc).
post #15 of 56

If they have only 128Gb option available on the BIG6 then it is destined to fail. I would like a 64Gb myself and think that would provide adequate space. The docs will be a bit larger and the BIG6 icons and controls will take more space, but not that much more. I have a 5s 64Gb now and keep approx 5000 photos, 3000 songs and a ridiculous 125-ish apps (many of which I don't use regularly) and still find an adequate 6.5 to 8Gb space to play with (actual empty space). I just don't see a need with the iCloud option to push a 128Gb device. I am sure there are folx with use cases that support that much memory but none that I can think of -- especially at the price they will end up at. I think Apple will have at least a 64Gb and 128Gb.

 

Give me a rigid case so that the BIG6 screen does not break and then stuff every nook and cranny with battery. You don't need to shave off another 0.5 mm to make it slimmer. I would love to be able to do more stuff on my iPhone that I am pushed to my iPad (or my iMac 27) for because it is just to small. And let me use it with GPS and BT on without watching the battery drain like there is a hole in it. I also assume the new processor will consume a bit more juice and managing the larger screen will as will the OIS since it is mechanical. All this screams 'more battery' to me.

post #16 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by balken07 View Post

I really dont like all these rumors pointing out that the 5,5" will contain more features than the 4,7". Imo they should be the same in hardware, just a difference in size (and battery capacity ofc).

I disagree with the capacity rumour since capacity is independent of usage type but I think it needs to be have features specific to being a larger volume device.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #17 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I absolutely hate these mockups that increase the height of the forehead and chin when they increase the display size.

 

Agreed.

 

It is amazing that they have the balls to call that a mockup when it looks closer to a copy and scale up (and as someone mentioned the android figures in the background -- somebody get a new intern?). I suspect the actual size won't be much larger than the next size down save the difference in screen size. If they really did scale those up (as shown) you could have a Touch ID sensor large enough to match 3 fingers 👋 or an optional foldout solar panel in the top. 😉

post #18 of 56
Or...have the 4.7" be available in 32 and 64GB sizes, and the 5.5" in 64 and 128GB sizes.

Too many Apple products to list...Long on AAPL, so take what I say with a bucket of salt.

You are only relevant...if your customers love you.

Reply

Too many Apple products to list...Long on AAPL, so take what I say with a bucket of salt.

You are only relevant...if your customers love you.

Reply
post #19 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Or...have the 4.7" be available in 32 and 64GB sizes, and the 5.5" in 64 and 128GB sizes.

I see no reason why that would have to be the case unless the number of NAND chips on the logic board would be doubling instead of simply doubling the NAND chip's capacity. Usage certainly doesn't warrant that a slightly larger display require double the capacity.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #20 of 56

128GB iPhone?

 

I had the 64GB iPhone 5 and found it was overkill.  When I bought the 5S, I opted for the 32GB model and haven't regretted it, even with literally a thousand vacation photos on it (temporarily, of course).

 

OTOH, the iPad has been a completely different story.  32GB hasn't been nearly enough to store movies, and I would opt for a 128GB model if Apple would just make one with a TouchID sensor.

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply
post #21 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrayven View Post

umm iCloud pricing has changed.. it's $.99 /mo for 20GB or $3.99/mo for 200GB

You quoted OLD pricing in article..

 

Uh, no, that pricing was announced but hasn't been made available yet.  I know, because I just recently paid the 20GB for $40 rate.

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply
post #22 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I see no reason why that would have to be the case unless the number of NAND chips on the logic board would be doubling instead of simply doubling the NAND chip's capacity. Usage certainly doesn't warrant that a slightly larger display require double the capacity.

If Apple does want thr 5.5" as a "premium model" then I could see them doing that on the storage. Though that wouldn't preclude them from having a 128GB 4.7".

Too many Apple products to list...Long on AAPL, so take what I say with a bucket of salt.

You are only relevant...if your customers love you.

Reply

Too many Apple products to list...Long on AAPL, so take what I say with a bucket of salt.

You are only relevant...if your customers love you.

Reply
post #23 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

If Apple does want thr 5.5" as a "premium model" then I could see them doing that on the storage. Though that wouldn't preclude them from having a 128GB 4.7".

Trying to find a why I was thinking that a 5.5" would likelyl be much less popular than a 4.7" or 4" device so by making that one have double the capacity it would be a way to get more unit sales for the 5.5" model as well as unit sales of the highest capacity 5.5" model for those that just have to have the most storage which could both reduce cost per unit and increase the average sale price.
Edited by SolipsismX - 6/26/14 at 9:18am

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #24 of 56

If the 5.5" will be sold as the premium phone, it makes sense they would need to add a few features that the cheaper 4.7" lacks lacks like a better camera and more storage. I really hope these mockups are inaccurate about those bezels though. I understand there is little you can shave off of the chin one because of the touchID without making it more oblong than circular, but the forehead could easily be shrunk just by putting all 3  components horizontally. It might be asymmetrical but that is a small price to pay not to introduce a phone that is taller than the competition that offer even larger displays. That is a tremendous amount of what appears to be wasted space. If that extra room is needed for the battery then I would much prefer they make the phone slightly thicker or even wider rather than taller. There is a very good chance a Note 4 might include a 6" screen and be a smaller phone than the 5.5" iPhone if that mockup is accurate. 

post #25 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

I really would prefer if they stopped making the phone bigger -- I get that there's a need in the market, so they want a bigger option, but why is the small one getting bigger also? I want my phone as small as possible while maintaining function; until they make a clamshell iPhone, people like me will contemplate a switch every time the increase the size of this thing.
It is ad these rumors from obvious android fans(background) that they want a iPhablet with higher specs then the lower model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

A "switch" to what, exactly? You do know that there won't be a single smaller premium phone offered by anyone else, right? That's why Apple can safely enlarge the sizes. People that don't like it don't have viable options for a smaller size from anyone else anyway.
large part of market is still into smaller devices and apples not the only with mini options. There should always be options for everybody but what you say may sadly be true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I really hope these rumors aren't true. Some people don't want an "iPhablet". Why should they have to settle for inferior options just because they prefer a smaller size? Plus Apple's pretty much gone away from that differentiation with the iPad. Don't see why the iPhone should be different.
its stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

They come out with the 128 gig option and it's only for the larger screen? That would really suck. I'm still holding out hope for a 4 inch phone that gives a 128 gig option then I can just tell Apple
I'm hoping that too, that these 5.5 inch rumors are trash and there is a 4.7 inch and a 4 inch with 4 inch have low end option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by balken07 View Post

I really dont like all these rumors pointing out that the 5,5" will contain more features than the 4,7". Imo they should be the same in hardware, just a difference in size (and battery capacity ofc).
ofcourse
post #26 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

I really would prefer if they stopped making the phone bigger -- I get that there's a need in the market, so they want a bigger option, but why is the small one getting bigger also? I want my phone as small as possible while maintaining function; until they make a clamshell iPhone, people like me will contemplate a switch every time the increase the size of this thing.

Nobody knows exactly what Apple is going to be doing with the iPhone 6. The press is fixated on larger iPhones. But, get this... No matter what Apple does, the press and analysts will purposely write negative articles and research notes about what Apple does. Here is a recent example. Bloomberg has chosen to write the following about the larger iPhones...

There are just two problems with Apple's plan to portray a big-screen iPhone as this fall's major "innovation." It's a copycat move, and it's a move away from the product-line asceticism Steve Jobs fought hard to institute after his Apple comeback in 1996. "Focus," he kept telling his employees, who had come to believe in marketing-driven diversity under Sculley and his barely remembered successors. It was that policy that resulted in Apple's producing only one iPhone model at a time under Jobs.

Under CEO Tim Cook, Apple has already departed from this principled stand by offering the slightly cheaper, colorful iPhone 5C last year. It did not do as well as the flagship 5S. That should have taught Apple to stick to its Jobs DNA and release one model in 2014, perhaps with a larger screen. But that European research on phablets looked troubling, and Apple is going with two different-sized models.

We have to get used to the fact that, despite its pedigree, Apple is now just another player -- albeit an exceptionally strong one -- in a commodity market. Sculley now plans a smartphone made for the Indian market. Here's a quote from the marketing guru who couldn't live with the way Jobs did things: "We feel there is an opportunity to build another brand in India that would combine global branding skills .. (and) go into price points that are more like the local brands."


The fact that Bloomberg has repeatedly written negative articles about why should produce larger screen iPhones is being thrown away to write negative articles about why Apple has lost focus for producing larger screen iPhones.

Tim Cook apparently cannot compare effectively with Steve Jobs nor John Sculley when it comes to producing iPhones.

I really do not see any reason Apple would eliminate a 4 inch iPhone 6 from the line up.
post #27 of 56

Meh, I seriously fail to see Apple releasing a 5.5" iPhone. Phablets are gimmicks. They're the netbooks of today - a fad. An extreme. Much in the same vein as when mobile phones kept getting smaller and smaller.

 

There'll be a 4" and 4.7" iPhone 6. Redesigned - nothing that looks like these fugly mockups. (Jony worked on the software design last year, expect a new design of the same level in hardware this year.)

 

IF anything is released with a 5.5" display, it will be an iPod touch aimed at gaming/entertainment.

Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #28 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post
 

I have a 5s 64Gb now and keep approx 5000 photos, 3000 songs and a ridiculous 125-ish apps (many of which I don't use regularly) and still find an adequate 6.5 to 8Gb space to play with (actual empty space).

 

Note that you're not storing any video. That's the major space hog. Add a few TV shows for watching on the way to work and some home movies and you quickly find yourself having to swap stuff out almost every day.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post
 

[...] I just don't see a need with the iCloud option to push a 128Gb device.

 

Cloud storage is not yet a ubiquitous solution. In the places I'm likely to be using stored content -- like on the street, on transit, at the park -- there is no WiFi. I can obviously use cellular data, but just two or three hours of YouTube or NetFlix (or iCloud) will chew up my entire data allotment for a month. On the subway there's no signal at all, so if I want to consume media there my only option is local storage.

 

ICloud is a benefit but not yet a solution. Until/unless wireless data becomes universally available with large, affordable limits, I don't see the need for substantial local storage going away. There's a cost of ownership either way, either up front for more local storage or over time through higher cellular data costs. Since the former is faster and available everywhere, I'd rather go with that.

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #29 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post
 

If they have only 128Gb option available on the BIG6 then it is destined to fail. I would like a 64Gb myself and think that would provide adequate space. The docs will be a bit larger and the BIG6 icons and controls will take more space, but not that much more. I have a 5s 64Gb now and keep approx 5000 photos, 3000 songs and a ridiculous 125-ish apps (many of which I don't use regularly) and still find an adequate 6.5 to 8Gb space to play with (actual empty space). I just don't see a need with the iCloud option to push a 128Gb device. I am sure there are folx with use cases that support that much memory but none that I can think of -- especially at the price they will end up at. I think Apple will have at least a 64Gb and 128Gb.

 

Give me a rigid case so that the BIG6 screen does not break and then stuff every nook and cranny with battery. You don't need to shave off another 0.5 mm to make it slimmer. I would love to be able to do more stuff on my iPhone that I am pushed to my iPad (or my iMac 27) for because it is just to small. And let me use it with GPS and BT on without watching the battery drain like there is a hole in it. I also assume the new processor will consume a bit more juice and managing the larger screen will as will the OIS since it is mechanical. All this screams 'more battery' to me.

That's what "OPTION" actually means: more than one size of storage.... for the 4.7 64 is enough for me but if the image files are scaled up I'd probably consider a 128 for the larger screen phone, somewhat as I did for my iPad Air where I chose 128 (and currently only have about 25 open).


Edited by jfc1138 - 6/26/14 at 9:40am
post #30 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Trying to find a why I was thinking that a 5.5" would likelyl be much less popular than a 4.7" or 4" device so by making that one have double the capacity it would be away to get more unit sales as well as unit sales of the highest capacity for those that just have to have the most storage which could both reduce cost per unit and increase the average sale price.

 

You're welcome.

 

That's to all the people whose lower-capacity iPhone purchases I subsidize every time I grit my teeth, shit a brick and pay an extra TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS FOR A FEW LOUSY GIGABYTES OF STORAGE!

 

Thanks, I feel better now.

 

:lol:

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #31 of 56

This is a terrible idea. How many of us have stuck with iPhones because the form factor, but we want the high end model. This forces many loyal customers to choose between the form factor we want or the features we want. I personally don't want to lug around this ridiculous huge slab just so I can have a phone with 128gb and optical image stabilisation. And I need more than the 64Gb. The 4.7" seems the perfect compromise for a larger screen size without becoming a ridiculous slab, why cripple the specs. Crazy.

post #32 of 56
For 100 Dollars more than the 4.7" version with contract you get a 5.5" FullHD display and double the amount of Flash memory - makes sense and is worth the premium, but depriving the 4.7" version of OIS is not a good idea considering much of the competition has it already or will be getting it soon, with model upgrades...and it is the official flagship.
post #33 of 56

Ugh! This has to be the silliest comment I've read in a while. 128GB of storage would take up no extra physical space inside the phone. It will be in the same place as all the other models.

post #34 of 56
Originally Posted by njohan81 View Post
With iP6-big = Have only 64Gb and boost the battery capacity with the other "64Gb of space" that would been used to the 128Gb space in phone...

 

5 cubic centimeters isn’t worth this nonsense.

 
…take away the lighting cable…

 

Nonsense again. You’re increasing power draw by ~40% and gaining absolutely no benefit with battery.

 

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post
You do know that there won't be a single smaller premium phone offered by anyone else, right?

 

So then people won’t be buying new phones. I guess that’s what Apple wants?

 
That's why Apple can safely enlarge the sizes.

 

That’s the opposite of why.

 
People that don't like it don't have viable options for a smaller size from anyone else anyway.

 

Which, again, is why they just won’t be buying new phones.

 

Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post
Doesnt make sense.  Because Money.

 

It makes the opposite of not sense. Because money.

 

The thinking behind this rumor is justifiable. Simply because APPLE ALREADY DOES THIS ON THEIR COMPUTERS, AND ALWAYS HAS. Thing is, on their computers. Not their iDevices.

 

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post
I really hope these mockups are inaccurate about those bezels though. I understand there is little you can shave off of the chin one because of the touchID without making it more oblong than circular, but the forehead could easily be shrunk just by putting all 3  components horizontally. It might be asymmetrical but that is a small price to pay not to introduce a phone that is taller than the competition that offer even larger displays. That is a tremendous amount of what appears to be wasted space.

 

No, you don’t. This isn’t what you think. You demand a larger screen, as does literally every single other person on the planet. As big as possible. To hell with usability. You couldn’t care less about this. You just want big.

post #35 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

It makes the opposite of not sense. Because money.

 

 

Still doesn't make sense.

 

Not everyone wants to walk around talking on a flatscreen monitor.  There are plenty of people like myself who do have the storage needs for 128GB of space on their smartphone.. but simply do not want to look like a circus clown talking on a 5.5" screen phone.

post #36 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1 View Post

Ugh! This has to be the silliest comment I've read in a while. 128GB of storage would take up no extra physical space inside the phone. It will be in the same place as all the other models.

You can't know that. I don't think it's likely that Apple would use 2 NAND modules in the 5.5" model because of the additional volume as they don't do that now with the iPads but it's also not unprecedented.


This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #37 of 56
Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

Still doesn't make sense.  Because douchebag.

 

That’s what I said. I’ll assume you’re directing the insult at him. 

 
Not everyone wants to walk around talking on a flatscreen monitor.

 

That’s not the argument here. Please read posts before replying.

post #38 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

That’s what I said. I’ll assume you’re directing the insult at him. 

 

That’s not the argument here. Please read posts before replying.

 

You are confusing yourself.  Maybe you need to go back and re-read, what I wrote before you reply again.

 

I said Apple will offer the 128GB size on both the 4.7" & 5.5" models simply because many people do not want a ridiculously large screened smartphone, but still have the need for alot of storage.

post #39 of 56
Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

I said Apple will offer the 128GB size on both the 4.7" & 5.5" models simply because many people do not want a ridiculously large screened smartphone, but still have the need for alot of storage.

 

Yep. And I’m all for that. As already stated.

post #40 of 56

I think the major downside to a bigger size, is more people would want to try it out first, see how it feels in there hand before purchasing. A lot of people I know still want it to fit in their pocket. It will be interesting to see what comes out, but I might have to hold it in my hand first before I purchase a larger iphone.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Apple to limit 128GB 'iPhone 6' option to 5.5-inch model