or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple launches $199 16GB iPod touch with rear camera in 6 colors, slashes prices on 32GB & 64GB models
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple launches $199 16GB iPod touch with rear camera in 6 colors, slashes prices on 32GB & 64GB... - Page 2

post #41 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


That's probably not true for low-volume items. With the iPhone and iPad they are likely pushing these out around the clock but with the iPods they probably have a revolving setup that will produce enough of each type and colour for whatever duration they feel offers them the best return on investment, which I doubt means setting up manufacturing for the iPod Classic every 1 to 1.5 months.

It doesn't matter how Apple's manufacturing partners really run their factories. Apple would say "we need 100,000 grey iPod touches -- this will be our last order" anyhow. Apple owns the components in the parts bins. If they are end-of-lifing a product, they would halt component purchases before the last one was assembled.

post #42 of 117

I don't know how the nano even stays in the lineup with the 16GB Touch now priced just $50 more.

 

 

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply
post #43 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

Have the iPods always been spaced with those price differences based on hard drive space? This could foreshadow the pricing scheme changes for the iPhone with 16 gig being $199, 32 gig being $249, and 64 gig being $299. That would make a lot of people happy that complain about the up charge for getting the higher hard drive variants.
Nope it'd be great if iPhones where, or 32 gb bottom and then $100 increases

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrayven View Post

Maybe this is a sign that bump in space will no longer go up $100 for double space on the iPhone as well??? now $50? ($199, $249, $300)

Once can hope....

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

I doubt this will have any effect on iPhone pricing.

But this does likely mean that the iPod touch will not see a redesign this year. No 4.7 or 5.5 inch screen size upgrade.
Or this will be maintained while new iPod, is moved to a higher price at or near iPhone.($400 maybe for 5S specs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsm View Post

Since this has an A5 is it safe to say it won't be able to upgrade to ios8?
post #44 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpantone View Post
 

The iWatch? It might end up being a "hobby" for a couple of years. Like the iPad, the initial model might have modest/conservative specs and functionality. Again, a wearable would likely rely on the latest iOS so it would be difficult to ship new hardware before the operating system is released. Of course, there's always the possibility of an iOS fork to help get a wearable out the door, but that probably would not be Apple's preference. The market for wearables is still very much in its infancy. Better to get it right rather put out a lackluster early effort.

 

I seriously doubt Apple will use iOS on their wearable. It might be based on OS X (Darwin actually), just as iOS is, but most likely it will be a separate embedded operating system with a customized kernel and a lot of unnecessary components stripped out for efficiency.

 

If there is one thing Apple has proven, it is that you don't need to have "One OS Everywhere" just as long as they can seamlessly inter-mingle.

Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #45 of 117

How many iPod Touch Apple sold last quarter/year?  Apple could turn around the iPod business with todays changes.  I have been preaching Apple to start iPad model with 32GB for a long time. 

post #46 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Clearing inventories....

Apple doesn't keep much stock on hand.

The next iPod Touch probably won't come out for another 3 months... so I doubt they have warehouses full of iPods they are trying to get rid of.

And considering that the iPod Touch has waned in popularity over the past few years... they probably weren't making that many of them anyway.
post #47 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

It doesn't matter how Apple's manufacturing partners really run their factories. Apple would say "we need 100,000 grey iPod touches -- this will be our last order" anyhow. Apple owns the components in the parts bins. If they are end-of-lifing a product, they would halt component purchases before the last one was assembled.

Sure it matters. Again, do you really think they buying components and running an assembly for 30-45 days of iPod Classic sales?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

I seriously doubt Apple will use iOS on their wearable. It might be based on OS X (Darwin actually), just as iOS is, but most likely it will be a separate embedded operating system with a customized kernel and a lot of unnecessary components stripped out for 
efficiency.

If there is one thing Apple has proven, it is that you don't need to have "One OS Everywhere" just as long as they can seamlessly inter-mingle.

I'd think if they were trying to make iOS efficient enough for a wearable that includes a touchscreen they would have introduced it with the iPod Nano.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #48 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent McAnulty View Post

"Apple launches $199 16GB iPod touch with rear camera in 6 colors"

Wow! A rear camera in 6 colors!

To me that reads like something anyone would understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

A friend just broke down and swapped out her 11 year old daughter's iPod Touch for an iPhone 5C.

Careful there, some might think you have a friend who swapped out his daughter¡

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

I don't know how the nano even stays in the lineup with the 16GB Touch now priced just $50 more.

My guess is some people prefer a smaller device. The word pocket ability comes to mind. For me, that's a small iPhone, like the 3.5" version, though that measurement only applies to the screen diagonal.
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
post #49 of 117
The fifth generation iPod touch is listed as upgradeable to iOS8 so these iPods would be also. I hope this is being done to clear inventory for a next generation iPod touch with the new processor chip. If Apple really wanted to cause some disruption it could include an option for month to month cellular data like the iPads.

The iPhone is already mainly a data device. By dropping the mostly pointless legacy crappy telephony component but retaining connectivity, Apple would have a killer device that would take the 'rapid followers' more than a weekend to attack.

I guess what I am really advocating is that Apple continue to make a pocket sized iPad device but add a cellular data radio.
post #50 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post
 

 

I would love to see a pricing spread like that for storage capacities on the iPhone. The way it is right now is absolutely ridiculous -- $100 to go from 16GB to 32GB? What is this, 2009?

 

10000% agree. It is one of the reasons I would consider a Galaxy S5 even.  The knowledge of how bad apple is raping us for extra memory and also not providing support for SD card.  I don't mind paying a small premium for Apple in general.  I also don't mind paying even a little above fair market for extra memory.  I don't have the stomach for getting raped on memory knowing what it costs them (or me)

post #51 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm not really keen on this 5.5" iPhone rumour but it's two year since they've updated the HW and components in the iPods, save for a colour change last year, so I'm expecting them to be updated this year. I can see a 5.5" iPod Touch giving back some popularity to the platform and I hope that all devices in that size come with a digitizer as it's good size for mobile retail and commercial applications, like the Apple Store. I think the digitizer in the Galaxy Note is one area Samsung nailed it, and even though they included their own APIs it's not nearly as good or as complete as what Apple can do with that tech. Does iOS 8 comes with some new digitizer APIs? I had thought I read that.
Unlikely to happen me thinks! Nice if it did though.
post #52 of 117
The iPod Shuffle and the previous gen (clip-on) nano are already an example of a "wearable device."

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #53 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The iPod Shuffle and the previous gen (clip-on) nano are already an example of a "wearable device."

You could technically put headphones in there, especially ones that had the AM or AM/FM radio and later an MP3 player built into the set.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #54 of 117
Originally Posted by robertsm View Post
Since this has an A5 is it safe to say it won't be able to upgrade to ios8?

 

Uh… been to the iOS 8 page? Ever?

 

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

The iPod touch is a weak product. Its niche market is smaller than AppleTV. This aggressive pricing is in response to weak demand. Nothing more.

 

Any proof of that?

 

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

What you just saw here is the extent of the iPod touch updates for 2014.

 

So when you’re wrong, we have leave to mock and deride you? I won’t, but still.

 

Originally Posted by michaeloftroy View Post
With Apple doing these refreshes sans press events, it really makes me think they have A LOT to cover come fall.

 

Why? Don’t think that. This isn’t worthy of a press event. That’s why they didn’t have one.

 

Originally Posted by sdbryan View Post
I guess what I am really advocating is that Apple continue to make a pocket sized iPad device but add a cellular data radio.

 

How can so many people be [pick an insult] enough to want a SMALLER iPad?! Smaller tablets and bigger phones? How [same insult] can people be?! 

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #55 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvigod View Post

10000% agree. It is one of the reasons I would consider a Galaxy S5 even.  The knowledge of how bad apple is raping us for extra memory and also not providing support for SD card.  I don't mind paying a small premium for Apple in general.  I also don't mind paying even a little above fair market for extra memory.  I don't have the stomach for getting raped on memory knowing what it costs them (or me)

You're not getting "raped". No one is forcing you to buy an iPhone. I take offense to using such a term on a product.
post #56 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

You're not getting "raped". No one is forcing you to buy an iPhone. I take offense to using such a term on a product.

I wonder how actual rape victims feel when someone uses that term to indicate a completely voluntary purchase decision?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #57 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post


You're not getting "raped". No one is forcing you to buy an iPhone. I take offense to using such a term on a product.

 

 

You clearly don't understand the english language or all the official the definitions of the word:

 

an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation: the rape of the countryside

 

an outrageous violation

 

 

Sure nobody is forcing anyone to buy an iphone but that is not required by definition.  

post #58 of 117
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
I wonder how actual rape victims feel when someone uses that term to indicate a completely voluntary purchase decision?

 

I seem to be the type to make the most of a bad situation. I mock my disability at any chance I get, and I’ve always figured that if I was blind/deaf, etc. I’d make ALL the blind/deaf, etc. jokes I could.

 

I’m sure I’d do the same thing for rape. “Hoo, we’re really getting raped on prices here. Believe me; I’d know!” or something.

 

But we’re not getting raped, screwed, gypped, swindled, bamboozled, hornswoggled, or schnozwrangled on prices here

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #59 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvigod View Post
 

You clearly don't understand the english language or all the official the definitions of the word:

 

an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation: the rape of the countryside

 

an outrageous violation

 

Sure nobody is forcing anyone to buy an iphone but that is not required by definition.  

 

You quoted, of four common definitions, the LEAST common of them all, according to dictionary.com.  The other more common three definitions are what folks here are reacting to.

 

Given that you can't bother to capitalize or punctuate correctly in your post, your grasp of the English language and common usage is far more questionable.

Quality isn't expensive... it's priceless.

Reply

Quality isn't expensive... it's priceless.

Reply
post #60 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvigod View Post


You clearly don't understand the english language or all the official the definitions of the word:

an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation: the rape of the countryside


an outrageous violation


Sure nobody is forcing anyone to buy an iphone but that is not required by definition.  
So how is Apple doing any of those things? Perhaps you should read he definition again.
post #61 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbryan View Post

The fifth generation iPod touch is listed as upgradeable to iOS8 so these iPods would be also. I hope this is being done to clear inventory for a next generation iPod touch with the new processor chip. If Apple really wanted to cause some disruption it could include an option for month to month cellular data like the iPads.

The iPhone is already mainly a data device. By dropping the mostly pointless legacy crappy telephony component but retaining connectivity, Apple would have a killer device that would take the 'rapid followers' more than a weekend to attack.

I guess what I am really advocating is that Apple continue to make a pocket sized iPad device but add a cellular data radio.


You can connect to internet via a smartphone which acts as a hotspot.  You do not need the cellular built in iPod because you need a smartphone anyway. 

post #62 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post


The $199 model is a new model. It's 16GB with a camera, which wasn't the case with the old cheapest iPod Touch.

This looks like getting the iPod Touch sales out of the way while Apple focuses on other stuff this fall.

 

Sometimes clearing inventories is clearing parts, not finished products.

 

-kpluck

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Reply

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Reply
post #63 of 117
I suspect that what the rumor mill has been calling the 5.5" iPhone 6 is really going to be the iPod Touch replacement. The increased size would allow Apple to stuff some serious gaming processor in the thing along with peer-to-peer networking to allow local multiplayer gaming clusters in groups without having to go fully online with the Internet. I think there's a lot of life left in a non-phone handheld product that has serious multimedia chops and access to the massive Apple ecosystem. I also think there's a market for multiplayer gaming that does not expose kids to the pitfalls of online gaming you get on platforms like XBox and PlayStation. I'd also like to see Apple retire the iPod Touch name and roll the next generation version under the iPad moniker as something like the iPad Micro or iPad Nano, maybe even iPad Game or iPad Media. The fact that the Touch looks just like an iPhone makes you wonder why it doesn't have phone capability while iPad has never had phone capability. Being part of the iPad family would give Apple a lower cost and smaller form factor option for education and industrial applications where even the Mini is too big. Putting a data SIM in the thing would be the final missing piece of the puzzle needed to seal the deal for people who need a fully connected and pocketable device that has good screen readability long battery life kickass multimedia and is not a phone. There are a number of vertical industries that would jump all over this type of micro-tablet device, in my opinion. The 128GB storage option fits into this model quite well also.
post #64 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post
 

How many iPod Touch Apple sold last quarter/year?  Apple could turn around the iPod business with todays changes.  I have been preaching Apple to start iPad model with 32GB for a long time. 

Unless they are able to substantially reduce prices further, the market for the iPod is limited to those people who don't use a smartphone, need another device to play apps and music besides a phone for another household member or don't want the storage limited by email, etc.   

 

As more phone companies adopt data plans which apply to all members of the family but still permit you to purchase a subsidized phone, the iPod becomes moot.   Why pay $200 or more for an iPod when you can buy a subsidized phone for the same price?  

 

It's no surprise that iPod sales have rolled off.   I think Apple knew they would from the day the first subsidized iPhone was available.   But if they could get the iPod price below $100, I think sales would pick up substantially.   The question is whether there's enough profit for Apple at that price to even bother.  At $50 to $75, I think people would buy a lot of iPods for their kids. 

post #65 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

...

How can so many people be [pick an insult] enough to want a SMALLER iPad?! Smaller tablets and bigger phones? How [same insult] can people be?! 

 

OK, strike my use of the letter A rather than the letter O. The reason I want an iPod touch with cellular data is that I sometimes have my iPad with me but I always have my iPod touch. They are both iOS devices but the iPod runs apps just like the iPhone, not a scaled down iPad app. Where there is wifi, all is well. If not, it would be very nice to have cellular data connectivity without the extra bulk of an iPhone (and legacy services with their associated costs).

 

Extending the month to month data for the iPod would be great because when I am in a location with ample wifi there is no monthly bill (think of it, an "iPhone" with no monthly bill!). Right now Apple has the benefit of the irrationality of fashion. Young children insist that they simply must have an iPhone and parents cave in. What happens when fashion changes? It would be very useful to have an "always connected" iOS device with no mandatory monthly bill to compete with what the cool kids insist is the only must have device.

 

So just to be clear, I already have my "smaller iPad" and it has more apps designed for it than any iPad (i.e. it runs all iOS apps that are specifically designed for the iPhone form factor). I just want to have the cellular data radio (which would undoubtedly be an option that adds ~$100) so internet connectivity would be improved when one wanders in the wilderness.

 

p.s. I recently was visiting relatives in Mexico, MO. I had cellular data turned on for my iPad and it did allow me to 'connect' to Verizon but it was neither LTE nor 3G. It was some connection that did not allow for connection to the internet. Bummer.

post #66 of 117
An overdue change. When you can buy a 1066x 32GB CompactFlash card of the highest quality for a pro camera for $70, paying $100 simply to get an extra 16GB of somewhat slower flash in a cell phone is anachronistic.
post #67 of 117

So should I upgrade from my 4th gen or wait for a possible 6th gen?

post #68 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post
 

Unless they are able to substantially reduce prices further, the market for the iPod is limited to those people who don't use a smartphone, need another device to play apps and music besides a phone for another household member or don't want the storage limited by email, etc.   

 

As more phone companies adopt data plans which apply to all members of the family but still permit you to purchase a subsidized phone, the iPod becomes moot.   Why pay $200 or more for an iPod when you can buy a subsidized phone for the same price?  

 

It's no surprise that iPod sales have rolled off.   I think Apple knew they would from the day the first subsidized iPhone was available.   But if they could get the iPod price below $100, I think sales would pick up substantially.   The question is whether there's enough profit for Apple at that price to even bother.  At $50 to $75, I think people would buy a lot of iPods for their kids. 


The word subsidized really is a marketing gimmick.  You are paying back with the two year plan.  For exmaple, the AT&T $130/month two smartphones plan will cost you $3120 in two years.  Compare this to the $50 to $75 price of your wish. 

post #69 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post
 


You can connect to internet via a smartphone which acts as a hotspot.  You do not need the cellular built in iPod because you need a smartphone anyway. 

I neither need nor want a smartphone. I just want the added feature in an iPod touch that is already an added feature in iPads. My iPad does have the same hotspot feature as an iPhone. I have used the iPad's hotspot sometimes. My experience is that it is as dumb as many public wifi hotspots that dump you and force you to reconnect if you aren't sufficiently actively sending or receiving packets. I'm no more than inches or feet away but it still petulantly disconnects because I am not being sufficiently attentive. I hope that this defective behavior is improved in iOS8.

 

The above paragraph may not be sufficiently argumentative. Cellphone technology is a crappy, legacy technology that got incredibly lucky when Apple decided to make great handheld unix based computers that included a cellular telephony component. The part of the cellular network that matters for 80 to 90 percent of what people do on iPhones is the data network. That is an expanded version of my first sentence.

post #70 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post
 

... Why pay $200 or more for an iPod when you can buy a subsidized phone for the same price?  ...

Because I am capable of performing simple arithmetic and plan to live more than the next few weeks?

 

The phones are not subsidized by some mysterious munificent entity. You are being billed every month and they don't have the decency to stop charging this rate after the cost has been amortized. While this magical thinking is an issue in the US market, I have read that we are the exception rather than the rule in other markets (i.e. paying upfront rather than being billed forever).

post #71 of 117
Originally Posted by sdbryan View Post
p.s. I recently was visiting relatives in Mexico, MO. I had cellular data turned on for my iPad and it did allow me to 'connect' to Verizon but it was neither LTE nor 3G. It was some connection that did not allow for connection to the internet. Bummer.

 

That’s Mexico for you.

 

Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post
The word subsidized really is a marketing gimmick.

 

No, not really….

 
You are paying back with the two year plan.

 

…because the plan price is the same regardless of how you get the phone.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #72 of 117

My iPod classic is slowly dying. What to do? I absolutely need the most space I can possibly get, because I have a ton of music I like to carry around. I also have a 32GB iPod Touch 5G, but I don't listen to music on it. So what do I buy to replace my classic? I could buy another classic, but it feels odd because for one, I'd like something solid state (I jog and my classic skips occasionally), and also, it feels like the classic is really a legacy product that will be discontinued shortly. So buying a classic at this moment feels like a losing proposition. If Apple comes out with a 128GB iPod Touch, I'd buy that as a replacement, but 64GB is just too little space.

 

Bottom line: Apple, give us an option for a 128GB IPT! 

post #73 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

 

No, not really….

 

…because the plan price is the same regardless of how you get the phone.

 

Most people upgrade after the two year plan.  The phone company already has this factored in the price. 

post #74 of 117
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

Most people upgrade after the two year plan.  The phone company already has this factored in the price. 

 

And then they’re subsidized again, paying the same amount for the next two years. I don’t get your point.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #75 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

And then they’re subsidized again, paying the same amount for the next two years. I don’t get your point.


Simple question to you.  When does the $3120 go in two years?  Only people poor in math think their smartphones are subsidized without thinking how much money they paid the telephone company in two years. 

post #76 of 117
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post
Simple question to you.  When does the $3120 go in two years?  Only people poor in math think their smartphones are subsidized without thinking how much money they paid the telephone company in two years. 

 

Even simpler question: Read the posts, please.

 

It’s so simple it’s not a question. You pay the same amount whether you subsidize or don’t. Except you pay MORE if you don’t, since you bought the device outright.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #77 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Even simpler question: Read the posts, please.

 

It’s so simple it’s not a question. You pay the same amount whether you subsidize or don’t. Except you pay MORE if you don’t, since you bought the device outright.


I never understand this.  Why would people pay full price for a smartphone if it can be subsidized?

post #78 of 117
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post
I never understand this.  Why would people pay full price for a smartphone if it can be subsidized?

 

Because no contracts and unlocked, unless you then take it to one of these carriers, in which case you'll be paying the same price.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #79 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

Simple question to you.  When does the $3120 go in two years?  Only people poor in math think their smartphones are subsidized without thinking how much money they paid the telephone company in two years. 

You're gonna have a monthly payment regardless.

If you buy a phone outright... you pay per month just for the service.

If you get a phone subsidized... you pay per month for the leasing of the phone and for the service.

A simple question to you... Where does the $480 go after 5 years of paying for Netflix?
post #80 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post
 

Unless they are able to substantially reduce prices further, the market for the iPod is limited to those people who don't use a smartphone, need another device to play apps and music besides a phone for another household member or don't want the storage limited by email, etc.   

 

As more phone companies adopt data plans which apply to all members of the family but still permit you to purchase a subsidized phone, the iPod becomes moot.   Why pay $200 or more for an iPod when you can buy a subsidized phone for the same price?  

 

It's no surprise that iPod sales have rolled off.   I think Apple knew they would from the day the first subsidized iPhone was available.   But if they could get the iPod price below $100, I think sales would pick up substantially.   The question is whether there's enough profit for Apple at that price to even bother.  At $50 to $75, I think people would buy a lot of iPods for their kids. 

Because that's ALL you pay, no service fees forever..... for people constantly in the presence of WiFi zones paying for voice services makes no sense. A similar reason why the LTE iPad mini is a solid choice for those demanding "larger" phone screens: data BUT no voice charges.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple launches $199 16GB iPod touch with rear camera in 6 colors, slashes prices on 32GB & 64GB models