or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple launches $199 16GB iPod touch with rear camera in 6 colors, slashes prices on 32GB & 64GB models
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple launches $199 16GB iPod touch with rear camera in 6 colors, slashes prices on 32GB & 64GB... - Page 3

post #81 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by FineWine View Post
 

My iPod classic is slowly dying. What to do? I absolutely need the most space I can possibly get, because I have a ton of music I like to carry around. I also have a 32GB iPod Touch 5G, but I don't listen to music on it. So what do I buy to replace my classic? I could buy another classic, but it feels odd because for one, I'd like something solid state (I jog and my classic skips occasionally), and also, it feels like the classic is really a legacy product that will be discontinued shortly. So buying a classic at this moment feels like a losing proposition. If Apple comes out with a 128GB iPod Touch, I'd buy that as a replacement, but 64GB is just too little space.

 

Bottom line: Apple, give us an option for a 128GB IPT! 

Hmmm: 128GB (LTE for the Cloud...) iPad Mini? Stick it in a waist pack for jogging alongside your Gu and water?

post #82 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbryan View Post

OK, strike my use of the letter A rather than the letter O. The reason I want an iPod touch with cellular data is that I sometimes have my iPad with me but I always have my iPod touch. They are both iOS devices but the iPod runs apps just like the iPhone, not a scaled down iPad app. Where there is wifi, all is well. If not, it would be very nice to have cellular data connectivity without the extra bulk of an iPhone (and legacy services with their associated costs).

Extending the month to month data for the iPod would be great because when I am in a location with ample wifi there is no monthly bill (think of it, an "iPhone" with no monthly bill!). Right now Apple has the benefit of the irrationality of fashion. Young children insist that they simply must have an iPhone and parents cave in. What happens when fashion changes? It would be very useful to have an "always connected" iOS device with no mandatory monthly bill to compete with what the cool kids insist is the only must have device.

So just to be clear, I already have my "smaller iPad" and it has more apps designed for it than any iPad (i.e. it runs all iOS apps that are specifically designed for the iPhone form factor). I just want to have the cellular data radio (which would undoubtedly be an option that adds ~$100) so internet connectivity would be improved when one wanders in the wilderness.

p.s. I recently was visiting relatives in Mexico, MO. I had cellular data turned on for my iPad and it did allow me to 'connect' to Verizon but it was neither LTE nor 3G. It was some connection that did not allow for connection to the internet. Bummer.

So how does this help Apple? It doesn't.
post #83 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post


You're gonna have a monthly payment regardless.

If you buy a phone outright... you pay per month just for the service.

If you get a phone subsidized... you pay per month for the leasing of the phone and for the service.

A simple question to you... Where does the $480 go after 5 years of paying for Netflix?

You are not leasing the phone.  After two years the phone is yours. 

post #84 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And then they’re subsidized again, paying the same amount for the next two years. I don’t get your point.

At least the price for the service doesn’t go up like it does for FiOS.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #85 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

You are not leasing the phone.  After two years the phone is yours. 

True... I didn't phrase it correctly.

I was trying to say you're paying for the service and a portion of the phone each month.

My issue was with your "look at all the money you spend over X amount of years" comment.

My point was... you can say that about ANYTHING you pay monthly for.
post #86 of 117
Finally, these are really good prices! Great upgrade even i ll not buy cause i don't need it. I have the rest "collection"!
post #87 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post


True... I didn't phrase it correctly.

I was trying to say you're paying for the service and a portion of the phone each month.

My issue was with your "look at all the money you spend over X amount of years" comment.

My point was... you can say that about ANYTHING you pay monthly for.


Good you agree with me the phone is not subsidized.  I am not saying the telephone companies are raping us.  They have a lot of other things to spend like building the LTE network.  Further, they have been making the deals better recently. The multi-carriers model are benefiting the consumers.

post #88 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

Good you agree with me the phone is not subsidized. 

What phone?

Sorry... I guess I didn't understand what you were talking about.

You said something about "$3000 over two years" and "people with poor math skills" which sounds like the age-old argument about subsidies.

But... as I have said before... you're still gonna be paying thousands of dollars even if you buy an unlocked phone.

BECAUSE YOU PAY EVERY MONTH FOR SERVICE.
post #89 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post


What phone?

Sorry... I guess I didn't understand what you were talking about.

You said something about "$3000 over two years" and "people with poor math skills" which sounds like the age-old argument about subsidies.

But... as I have said before... you're still gonna be paying thousands of dollars even if you buy an unlocked phone.

BECAUSE YOU PAY EVERY MONTH FOR SERVICE.


My earlier post did a calculation based on a AT&T smartphone plan. Some one insisted that the smartphones are subsidized. 

post #90 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

My earlier post did a calculation based on a AT&T smartphone plan. Some one insisted that the smartphones are subsidized. 

AT&T does have subsidized smartphone plans.

But you can also buy a phone outright and simply pay for service.
post #91 of 117

So should I upgrade from my 4th gen or wait for a possible 6th?

post #92 of 117
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post
Some one insisted that the smartphones are subsidized. 

 

BECAUSE THEY ARE.

 

Originally Posted by Goldfinger View Post
So should I upgrade from my 4th gen or wait for a possible 6th?

 

The iPhone 6 is the 8th gen. You can already buy the 6th gen.

post #93 of 117

No, I mean the iPod touch.

post #94 of 117
Originally Posted by Goldfinger View Post
No, I mean the iPod touch.

 

Oh, pshh. iPhone hijacking.

 

You know, I'm not sure how to take this change. I'm starting to think that Apple is full of idiots and that they're going to release a 5.5" phone, again, as always, unusable to everyone, making this the only iPod touch update this year. 

 

Then again, this could also have been done to clear out stock of the old hardware.

post #95 of 117

I'm kind of torn because if they aren't making a new model, I want to get this one so I'll have a while before it becomes obsolete but if they are making a new one, I should wait until September.  I really hope apple doesn't discontinue this product.

post #96 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfinger View Post
 

I'm kind of torn because if they aren't making a new model, I want to get this one so I'll have a while before it becomes obsolete but if they are making a new one, I should wait until September.  I really hope apple doesn't discontinue this product.

 

I'm sure you'll find this one well after September.

 

I'm on the lookout for a new iMac. But I can hang on to my old one for longer. So even if the new iMacs come early next year, I'm still fine with it.

 

So what I mean is, if you can, it is better to wait and watch.

post #97 of 117

I may be the only one here, but all I care about is the new long overdue iPod Nano and the iWatch if it exists.

post #98 of 117

With all the noise in this thread has anybody noticed the new 16GB model is available only in the USA?

 

Furthermore many of the European online Apple stores either refer only to the 32/64GB models or list the old 16GB model as unavailable.

post #99 of 117
I would like to see the iPods discontinued and replaced by a cheaper iPhone. The image that links into this article is the following:





I think that style looks great and I wish that was what the iPhone 5C had been.
post #100 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I would like to see the iPods discontinued and replaced by a cheaper iPhone. The image that links into this article is the following:

Not going to happen. Apple isn't going to cannibalize the higher priced iPhones.
post #101 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I would like to see the iPods discontinued and replaced by a cheaper iPhone. The image that links into this article is the following:

Not going to happen. Apple isn't going to cannibalize the higher priced iPhones.

It wouldn't have touch id or the better camera and it would have older spec internals. I wonder what makes the price difference so large between the iPhone and iPod.

Why is a 16GB iPod Touch with A5 $199 but a 16GB iPhone 5C with A6 $549? The iPod is metal, the 5C is plastic so it can't be the material cost.

The difference are A5 -> A6; 5MP camera -> 8MP camera; cellular antenna. That adds $350 to the price.

The fact is, people aren't buying iPods in large numbers any more. They'd make more sales with a $399 iPhone than a $199 iPod. It would cannibalize some of the sales of higher end models but people like the touch id and camera quality.
post #102 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I wonder what makes the price difference so large between the iPhone and iPod.

Why is a 16GB iPod Touch with A5 $199 but a 16GB iPhone 5C with A6 $549? The iPod is metal, the 5C is plastic so it can't be the material cost.

The difference are A5 -> A6; 5MP camera -> 8MP camera; cellular antenna. That adds $350 to the price.

The iPhone is subject to license fees in regards to its cellular voice and data capability.

That is built into the price of the iPhone. It's not just the raw cost of the parts.
post #103 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

The iPhone is subject to license fees in regards to its cellular voice and data capability.

That is built into the price of the iPhone. It's not just the raw cost of the parts.

And they clearly get a reduced economies of scale (even though there are many cost savings with using mostly iPhone components which is why it can exist at that price at all) as well as a lower profit margin over the iPhone as noted by considerably lower demand. There could also be quality differences that would make the iPhone go through more stringent testing of the HW, like casing, color accuracy of the display, performance per Watt variances.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #104 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

The iPhone is subject to license fees in regards to its cellular voice and data capability.

That is built into the price of the iPhone. It's not just the raw cost of the parts.

I highly doubt that it's $350 worth of fees. I agree with @SolipsismX in that there are other factors involved.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #105 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I highly doubt that it's $350 worth of fees. I agree with @SolipsismX in that there are other factors involved.

Sure.

The question was asked why an iPhone costs so more that an iPod Touch.

The iPhone uses better parts... and it has additional fees that iPods don't have.

You're right... many factors affect the price of the iPhone vs the iPod Touch.

But a big one is the fact that the iPhone is a cell phone.
post #106 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The difference are A5 -> A6; 5MP camera -> 8MP camera; cellular antenna. That adds $350 to the price.

Plus the GPS thingy in the Qualcomm WTR1605L:
https://chipworks.secure.force.com/catalog/ProductDetails?sku=QUA-WTR1605L&viewState=DetailView&cartID=&g=

I think the lenses are different as well: five-element lens with a hybrid IR filter and an ƒ/2.4 vs ??? (can't find a solid answer) and half the NAND on the music player. Aslo different audio codecs (338S1116 vs 338S1146) et cetera

Does the iPod touch have a vibrator motor? And the 5c may be 'plastic', it does have a steel frame.
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
post #107 of 117
I realize many people are not in my shoes, but the dwindling options tells me the industry gave up improving things years ago. Now it is a price wars. I am still waiting for Apple to break 128GB on their iPads & iPhones 64GB limit, much less the iPod touches. I bought a 160GB iPod in 2009 & am waiting for them to come out with a portable with more storage so I can load all my music without having to pick & chose and rotate or down-sample everything to sound muddy on decent audio systems. Seriously, if they want us to have one device for all our stuff in each form factor, they need to step up an offer those of us that have a lot of music, using high quality lossless audio at least 256GB models. Considering how much the storage densities of flash devices has increased over the past 5 years, they could easily offer it at a premium. 16GB is a joke for anyone that uses their device very much or has a lot of content/apps. A lot of people suggest streaming, but streaming is low quality and also runs up your data bill (unless you stream through t-mobile on an approved service that doesn't count against your data plan).

Storage increases stalled out a few years ago in all form factors, and it is not because they can%u2019t do it. There are filed engineers carrying around 2 & 3 TB portable flash devices about the size of an iPod classic. It is just because the carriers and companies make more on streaming and lower cost memory to slap into their anemic device. It is pitiful that 2.5" 1.5TB drives are harder to find now than a year ago. I am glad I got 2 of them in my laptop, but now with apple dropping standard HDs bays, I will be stuck with this until storage catches up to my needs. I doubt that will happen very soon with the stupid emphasis on streaming everything, and compressing audio and video to sub-analog quality. It is really saddening to see everyone settle for this because it makes those of us at the edge outgrow the industry. Maybe in 5 years more people will be where I am now, and things will improve, but Moore%u2019s law has stalled out in terms of portable storage for now.
Computer User since 1977. Mac user 1985–. Win/Mac support 1995–. Computing professional since 1995. IT Consultant: *nix/Mac/Win Networking/Wireless/AV Production
Reply
Computer User since 1977. Mac user 1985–. Win/Mac support 1995–. Computing professional since 1995. IT Consultant: *nix/Mac/Win Networking/Wireless/AV Production
Reply
post #108 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post


So how does this help Apple? It doesn't.

More products sold to more people seems like the obvious answer. That is how Apple makes most of its profit: selling innovative, high quality hardware to customers. For example Apple sells many wifi only iPads. But cellular data enabled iPads are also sold. For the iPod touch product Apple sells the wifi only model but not the corresponding cellular data enabled version.

 

The only impediment I see to this option is whether the cellular carrier oligopoly will allow it in the same way the iPad was accommodated. The current iPod touch can be used for VoIP calls and apps that are less hobbled by legacy technology like FaceTime and FaceTime audio-only. I use the Google Voice app as my preferred method of sending and receiving SMS. But there are many other options which are generally free. The carriers are probably not concerned about the few people willing to make calls with an iPad because of its size, but an iPod touch is the same size as an iPhone and much thinner.

post #109 of 117

After owning a portable MP3 player with a built in DAC I don't think I could in good conscious get behind another one with out it. The only people who I would think the iPod would be good for are children who don't have a phone yet, which their aren't many but even then I think they would prefer a small tablet like the original iPad Min or Nexus 7, I know my kids do. I think the iPod is defiantly on the way out. Geesh, I think we still have like 5 of them stuffed in drawers throughout the house,  I should donate them.

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #110 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post
 

After owning a portable MP3 player with a built in DAC I don't think I could in good conscious get behind another one with out it...

You may well be right if audio is the major consideration and for many (most?) it is. But despite its name the iPod touch is basically the same ultra portable computer as the iPhone, both of which are made vastly more powerful with an internet connection. That is why my wish list for the iPod touch includes a cellular data radio option like the iPad.

post #111 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvigod View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post
 

 

I would love to see a pricing spread like that for storage capacities on the iPhone. The way it is right now is absolutely ridiculous -- $100 to go from 16GB to 32GB? What is this, 2009?

 

10000% agree. It is one of the reasons I would consider a Galaxy S5 even.  The knowledge of how bad apple is raping us for extra memory and also not providing support for SD card.  I don't mind paying a small premium for Apple in general.  I also don't mind paying even a little above fair market for extra memory.  I don't have the stomach for getting raped on memory knowing what it costs them (or me)

 

If you object to Apple 'raping' you, you're free to not buy Apple. No need to be a martyr.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #112 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbryan View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

...

How can so many people be [pick an insult] enough to want a SMALLER iPad?! Smaller tablets and bigger phones? How [same insult] can people be?! 

 

OK, strike my use of the letter A rather than the letter O. The reason I want an iPod touch with cellular data is that I sometimes have my iPad with me but I always have my iPod touch. They are both iOS devices but the iPod runs apps just like the iPhone, not a scaled down iPad app. Where there is wifi, all is well. If not, it would be very nice to have cellular data connectivity without the extra bulk of an iPhone (and legacy services with their associated costs).

 

Extending the month to month data for the iPod would be great because when I am in a location with ample wifi there is no monthly bill (think of it, an "iPhone" with no monthly bill!). Right now Apple has the benefit of the irrationality of fashion. Young children insist that they simply must have an iPhone and parents cave in. What happens when fashion changes? It would be very useful to have an "always connected" iOS device with no mandatory monthly bill to compete with what the cool kids insist is the only must have device.

 

So just to be clear, I already have my "smaller iPad" and it has more apps designed for it than any iPad (i.e. it runs all iOS apps that are specifically designed for the iPhone form factor). I just want to have the cellular data radio (which would undoubtedly be an option that adds ~$100) so internet connectivity would be improved when one wanders in the wilderness.

 

p.s. I recently was visiting relatives in Mexico, MO. I had cellular data turned on for my iPad and it did allow me to 'connect' to Verizon but it was neither LTE nor 3G. It was some connection that did not allow for connection to the internet. Bummer.

 

Just roll out your own mobile network and create your own iPod equivalent with cellular access and you'll get what you desire. Shouldn’t be hard.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #113 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Just roll out your own mobile network and create your own iPod equivalent with cellular access and you'll get what you desire. Shouldn’t be hard.

Or carry around 2 tin cans and a string.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #114 of 117

I wonder how long Apple will continue to offer the iPod Touch and keep refreshing it? This seems like a modest refresh. It looks like they are putting almost all their effort into the iPhone and the rumored iWatch in the mobile space, and not really doing much with the iPod Touch.

post #115 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamw View Post

I wonder how long Apple will continue to offer the iPod Touch and keep refreshing it? This seems like a modest refresh. It looks like they are putting almost all their effort into the iPhone and the rumored iWatch in the mobile space, and not really doing much with the iPod Touch.

From what I can tell the lower-end model that was using nearly 4(?) year old tech got a bump to the 2 year old tech that is in the higher-end options of the iPod Touch line. I think that's likely setting the stage for the lower-end model to stay where it is, 2 years behind, with the new iPhone design then having some new iPod Touch designs. Especially if we are to believe there will be a 4.7" and/or a 5.5" iPhone, which I think will help with iPod Touch sales.

A couple logistical items to consider.

  1. The iPod Classic, which hasn't been updated in HW since 2009, doesn't need to be since it's not tied to the App Store ecosystem. If they can sell, say, even 10k per year with that old design it is probably worth keeping it going for 5 years with no change.
  2. The iPod Touch has many of the same components as the iPhone so the R&D is mostly paid for already. How many do they really need to sell with biennial casing and HW update to make it viable? It won't ever bring in iPhone and iPad numbers and profit but it doesn't need to be worth having on the books.
  3. The iPod Nano and iPod Shuffle appear to sell less than the iPod Touch (I seem to read that the iPod Touch is about half of all iPod sales) but these can be simple and inexpensive gifts that also probably make worthwhile to keep around.
  4. I think it's likely once they stop investing in an iPod line's HW changes we'll see them around for a long time like the iPod Classic. Perhaps first it will be just an anodizing change like with last year's iPoids and eventually no change, save for the iPod Touch which really needs to be updated every couple years or be pulled off completely because of the need to run the latest version of iOS. For example, they can't just stop with the iPod Shuffle that will run iOS 8 as the last version it runs and then 4 years from now on iOS 12 have it still on the store.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #116 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

There you go again.

"Apple will never increase the price of the iPad mini or make it the same specs as the full sized iPad"

Figured you'd learn your lesson by now.

We'll most likely see an updated model launched alongside the iPads this October- and if it happens I'll be buying one day one for my 5 yr old (who had the current touch). See how I don't make definitive claims so that I don't look like a complete idiot if they happen?

AFAIK, the iPad Air and Mini with Retina Display have the same specs, just a different size screen.
post #117 of 117
Darn. I don't even need 32GB --well ok so I do, but if I could predict the future and saw this coming I would have waited and got the 16GB model as it now has a camera. OR I could have got the new cheaper 32GB.

Thanks for wasting my money, Apple.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple launches $199 16GB iPod touch with rear camera in 6 colors, slashes prices on 32GB & 64GB models