or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rear casing for 'iPhone 6' purportedly shown off in new video from Asia

Rear casing for 'iPhone 6' purportedly shown off in new video from Asia

post #1 of 30
A video showing what appears to be an engineering sample of a rear casing for Apple's next-generation, 5.5-inch "iPhone 6" surfaced earlier this week from Japan, showing a rounded unibody design and a two-part Apple logo.

The casing, published by Japanese blog Mac Otakara, largely matches up with previous leaks and rumors. A rounded flash and microphone hole flank the rear-mounted camera, and the sides move away from the iPhone 5's flat layout to a more rounded form factor.

The interior sports a number of attachment points and screw holes, as well as plastic fixtures near the top and bottom. Additionally, the Apple logo found on the upper part of the back panel is cut out, suggesting Apple may use the location as an antenna window as the company does with the iPad.

It is worth noting that Mac Otakara makes no mention of the provenance of the new part. It was first seen alongside a number of other mockup iPhone 6 units purchased from Chinese marketplace AliExpress, suggesting that it may simply be a speculative part produced by a third-party seller.

No matter its final industrial design, the iPhone 6 is widely expected to come in two versions -- one with a 4.7-inch display and a larger, 5.5-inch "phablet." Other features rumored to be in the offing are a new, 128-gigabyte capacity variant, optical image stabilization, and a faster "A8" CPU.
post #2 of 30
If that's the 5.5 inch, then that guy's hands must be huge - It doesn't look that much bigger than my 5S does in my hands...
post #3 of 30

At first I thought the 4.7 was the right size, but if the 5.5 is getting better technology perhaps that is the one I will end up with.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #4 of 30
Originally Posted by StageofHistory View Post
If that's the 5.5 inch, then that guy's hands must be huge - It doesn't look that much bigger than my 5S does in my hands...
Originally Posted by mstone View Post
At first I thought the 4.7 was the right size, but if the 5.5 is getting better technology perhaps that is the one I will end up with.

It’s blatantly the 4.7”. Look at the scale compared to my incredibly sophisticated mockup. Hand height: 7.75” span: 9.25”. Tried to match the position.

I worked out the math for the proper screen size and shape here, so anyone want to work the math on how big this guy’s hands would have to be for that to be a 5.5”?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #5 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by StageofHistory View Post

The picture in the story is of him holding the 4.7" model. Look at the video where he picks up the 5.5" one, the camera never shows an angle or view close to that screenshot. I didn't need to make a cardboard cut out to figure that out either.

It is pretty clear now that the 5.5" is real, will be released at the same time and not months later, and will be an iPhone and not and iPod as some have ludicrously posited. 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

post #6 of 30
Thanks gwmac... I hadn't watched the video before. Pretty obvious really!
post #7 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I agree. If I don't buy a 5.5 inch version, people will question my manhood and my Android friends will laugh at me. /s 1wink.gif

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #8 of 30
Quote:

Before we knew the size and people were still guessing, I was hoping for an iPhone 6 around 5". I still think that is the sweet spot but that ship has sailed. The 4.7" is closer to my dream size than the larger one but I will definitely have to think long and hard before I decide. I don't know if it is a coincidence or not but all the shorts and jeans I have bought recently have larger pockets that can easily pocket a Note 3 and I would assume the 5.5" iPhone 6 as well. It seems clothes makers have made adjustments to make sure people can now comfortably carry these larger phones. 

post #9 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It’s blatantly the 4.7”. Look at the scale compared to my incredibly sophisticated mockup. Hand height: 7.75” span: 9.25”. Tried to match the position.

I worked out the math for the proper screen size and shape here, so anyone want to work the math on how big this guy’s hands would have to be for that to be a 5.5”?

Slow day at work huh? 

post #10 of 30
Originally Posted by Mac-Daddy View Post

Slow day at work huh? 

Waiting for a hard drive recovery, unfortunately. :p

Unless you mean the mockup itself; that I did a while ago.

post #11 of 30
Quote:

imo I recommend you use the biggest screen you can handle, after trying a Note 2 and an S3 I will go for the 5.5" iphone 6, which will be about the same has the note 2. The Samsung screens have insane color saturation, its like watching a CSI Miami episode.

My worried is its rumor to be delay for later in the fall, cant wait to upgrade my tiny 4s.
Edited by herbapou - 6/26/14 at 1:04pm
post #12 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

It seems clothes makers have made adjustments to make sure people can now comfortably carry these larger phones. 

lol, this is possible indeed. I have no problem with that because I cant wear jeans at work and I dont usually wear them at home either.
post #13 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I agree. If I don't buy a 5.5 inch version, people will question my manhood and my Android friends will laugh at me. /s 1wink.gif

Yeah, it should be evident by now, I don't give a s--t what other people think about me. Well...with one exception, but the size of my iPhone is not a concern for her. ;)

I still think the 4.7 is probably the right size, but the rumor of better camera and larger storage on the 5.5 is intriguing. Probably the deciding factor for me will be if it can fit comfortably, without a case, in the front pocket of Levis 501. 

post #14 of 30
If it's a 4.7" iPhone and 5.5" iPod I'll still come back to the Apple fold, but I would be ecstatic if it actually is a 5.5" phone. My Note 2 has proven infinitely more usable to me than my old iPhone 3GS with its tiny screen, and neither I nor any of my much shorter friends have had any trouble pocketing or one-handing it, but unfortunately in many other aspects Android just isn't as good as iOS. Larger iPhones with a usable screen size for tall people like me give me a reason to come home.
post #15 of 30
Quote:

Waiting for a hard drive recovery, unfortunately. 1tongue.gif

Unless you mean the mockup itself; that I did a while ago.

You and Congress.
post #16 of 30
Looks good.

Just needs the 5.5" screen to complete things.
post #17 of 30
I can't wait to get my hands on the 5.5" iPhone 6.
Such a PERFECT size. (for me)
I think the 4.7" will be a great size too, but for me it's 5.5 all the way....
After trying out a Note 3 for 14 days, (returned it of course) I know for sure I want the awesome big screen.
post #18 of 30
Quote:

h308AF6E9

I will NEVER pay $679 for an 8GB plastic cell phone
I will NEVER pay $679 for an 8GB plastic cell phone
post #19 of 30
I know it's just the inside, but the sloppiness around the apple logo cut out is killing me. I don't like the asymmetry of the rounded portions. (Note: I'm not talking about the actual apple logo cut out)
post #20 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac 
It is pretty clear now that the 5.5" is real, will be released at the same time and not months later, and will be an iPhone and not and iPod as some have ludicrously posited.

If they have a bigger one, I don't see why they'd delay it. These are all still mockups though like people made for the iPhone 5:

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeloftroy View Post

I know it's just the inside, but the sloppiness around the apple logo cut out is killing me. I don't like the asymmetry of the rounded portions. (Note: I'm not talking about the actual apple logo cut out)

They are mockups, not made by Apple. If this is the design though, I'd like them to get rid of the horizontal bars and move the camera down:

I don't see the need for the horizontal lines. One of the people with the mockups said the lines are actually painted onto the mockups. They look like plastic in the videos but I suppose paint could look like that too.
post #21 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

The Samsung screens have insane color saturation, its like watching a CSI Miami episode.

You realize that's not a good thing, right?

post #22 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

If this is the design though, I'd like them to get rid of the horizontal bars and move the camera down:

I don't see the need for the horizontal lines. One of the people with the mockups said the lines are actually painted onto the mockups. They look like plastic in the videos but I suppose paint could look like that too.

Those lines are there for the cellular antenna. There's no way around that. The only reason the iPod Touch doesn't have them is because it's not a phone. Compare the backs of wifi and cellular iPads and you'll also see that the latter require a plastic panel for the antenna. Same reason the 5S has those little glass panels and the top and bottom of the back.

Apple doesn't add these ugly little details intentionally for aesthetic value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

To each his own, but I will never carry around anything like this as my primary mobile device.

Edited by freediverx - 6/27/14 at 3:24am
post #23 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

Those lines are there for the cellular antenna. There's no way around that.

I know they're for the antenna but I don't see why it would have to be made in a loop. There are metal cases for the iPhone that have a flat metal back and they just leave a plastic bit around the rim. Why not just leave the separation around the rim without splitting the back face too? Or they can go the other way with just the horizontal lines but not the ones round the rim.
post #24 of 30

Quote:

Based on the picture, it must be 5.5" with 157mm long. The guy's hand is okay size. I have small hand and it's already around 150mm from bottom of my palm to the top of my thumb.

Edited by fallenjt - 6/27/14 at 3:50pm
post #25 of 30
Quote:

If they have a bigger one, I don't see why they'd delay it. These are all still mockups though like people made for the iPhone 5:

They are mockups, not made by Apple. If this is the design though, I'd like them to get rid of the horizontal bars and move the camera down:

Hear that Sir Jony Ive? You must listen to this guy.

post #26 of 30
Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post
Based on the picture

We were wrong before; the picture IS of 4.7.” 

post #27 of 30
Quote:

I know they're for the antenna but I don't see why it would have to be made in a loop. There are metal cases for the iPhone that have a flat metal back and they just leave a plastic bit around the rim. Why not just leave the separation around the rim without splitting the back face too? Or they can go the other way with just the horizontal lines but not the ones round the rim.

I have a feeling Apple does a bit more testing for this sort of thing than the maker of a phone case... ;)

post #28 of 30

There's no doubt that the 4.7" iPhone is going to sell like crazy.  It'll be interesting so see how the 5.5" iPhablet does.

post #29 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

I have a feeling Apple does a bit more testing for this sort of thing than the maker of a phone case... 1wink.gif

Sure but the reception was tested on those in the real world with negligible impact. I just don't see how the extra break helps the signal.

I quite liked the design of the HTC One, which has similar splits but they put a plastic band round the rim and the splits are thinner. There's a video comparing the iPhone 6 mockup to the HTC One here:

It's clear that the split lines in the mockups are not accurate and I actually think the iPhone 6 mockup looks nicer than those other phones. The shapes and styles used on the other devices look so busy when you see them next to the iPhone.

If Apple tightens the split lines and makes them blend in better with the metal, I don't suppose the loop design would be all that bad. If they make the split material transparent instead of colored, it might blend in better as it will show the metal through it. Perhaps the splits can be made of glass or sapphire.
post #30 of 30
Quote:

Yes! That screenshot looks good - very much more like a real Apple product. I'd love to see something a lot more seamless, as you suggest. The lines on the current mock-ups look pretty awful in my view (I acknowledge though that my opinion might change once I see the final design, as happened with iPhone 5).

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rear casing for 'iPhone 6' purportedly shown off in new video from Asia