or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Walmart to permanently cut price of Apple's iPhone 5s to $99, iPhone 5c to $29

Walmart to permanently cut price of Apple's iPhone 5s to $99, iPhone 5c to $29 - Page 2

post #41 of 55
Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post
The catch is if you want the latest iPhone 5S w/ 64gb, you have to purchase it from Apple sans plan.

If you buy it from Apple, you take it to them, they give you a SIM, and you’re stuck on AT&T’s network. If you buy it from THEM, they use the internal CDMA and you get Verizon.

What you mean is that you have to buy it outright, full price.

post #42 of 55

Yep...full price. $800+ if I remember correctly. By the way, you have to cut your own SIM from the one they give you. You use a tool that's basically like a hole punch. It's easy to do but just be warned. The workers at Walmart aren't all up to speed on this.

post #43 of 55
Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post
Yep...full price. $800+ if I remember correctly. By the way, you have to cut your own SIM from the one they give you. You use a tool that's basically like a hole punch. It's easy to do but just be warned. The workers at Walmart aren't all up to speed on this.

Again, this is if you’ve purchased from elsewhere. Buying directly from ST nets you a CDMA-network iPhone with an open SIM slot.

post #44 of 55

The catch is if you want the latest iPhone 5S w/ 64gb, you have to purchase it from Apple sans plan.

Again, see above.....

post #45 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1 View Post

The cost! Apple products are much more expensive in Europe than in the US.

Some are willing and able to pay the higher costs, many are not. Some in Europe are able to get devices from the US so of course their purchases don't appear in Europe statistics.

The cost for a 5s in Britain is only about 55 pounds more than in the US.   Paying $840 in Britain for a 5s wouldn't be all that much of a difference than the $750 it costs in the US.

post #46 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

Piling on... with an unsub'ed phone, TCO is the same, only with freedom.  the vendors don't give you a discount on the plan, you can just switch without penalty.  

Well, if you pick the "big three", yeah. Then there's #4: doesn't T-Mobile still offer a discounted plan for bring-your-own-phone?

http://www.t-mobile.com/bring-your-own-phone.html

I think you can get discounted plans with MVNOs, etc. Wal*Mart offers Straight Talk, which I think has such a plan.
Edited by JeffDM - 6/27/14 at 8:54pm
post #47 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frood View Post

The cost for a 5s in Britain is only about 55 pounds more than in the US.   Paying $840 in Britain for a 5s wouldn't be all that much of a difference than the $750 it costs in the US.

Maybe not in Britain, but in countries with the euro, the figure used for the US dollar price is the same as the one used for euros (an item costing $500 in the US costs €500), meaning that they're around 35% more expensive in euro countries.
post #48 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post
I only hope a decision is made soon about the Mac Mini, $599 for 2012 hardware is getting ridiculous.

The iPhone price reductions do influence the purchaser, but they are trivial compared to the full price.

I've been waiting for an upgraded Mini.

Recent Apple Store  Refurbished sales of the current mini, indicate a new Mini is on the way.

post #49 of 55
Quote:

Maybe not in Britain, but in countries with the euro, the figure used for the US dollar price is the same as the one used for euros (an item costing $500 in the US costs €500), meaning that they're around 35% more expensive in euro countries.

Last Sep I found that to be true in Italy.

The Euro price = the USA price, which was about 50% more.

post #50 of 55
Hmmm... Apple''s products are
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frood View Post

Quote:

The cost! Apple products are much more expensive in Europe than in the US.

Some are willing and able to pay the higher costs, many are not. Some in Europe are able to get devices from the US so of course their purchases don't appear in Europe statistics.

Much of Europe includes the addition of VAT which seems to account for much of the additional cost of iPhones, making an upgrade to a new phone a much different consideration.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #51 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Smartphones have hit commodity status. Discounts everywhere!

Yes, smartphones are throw-away commodities. But I always wonder why americans fool themselves into only looking at the upfront charges from the retailers -- like the $ 99 and $29 Dollar charges referred to into this article and steadfastly ignore the additional 2 year contract charges. Are people in the US really that stupid ?? Hard to believe, but it seems so.

post #52 of 55

People in the states are more vulnerable than other countries I see this now with new toys being marketed by Apple.

post #53 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taniwha View Post

Yes, smartphones are throw-away commodities. But I always wonder why americans fool themselves into only looking at the upfront charges from the retailers -- like the $ 99 and $29 Dollar charges referred to into this article and steadfastly ignore the additional 2 year contract charges. Are people in the US really that stupid ?? Hard to believe, but it seems so.
Who exactly is ignoring it? I'm on AT&T's Next program and my monthly bill is $120. That's not something you ignore.
post #54 of 55
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Who exactly is ignoring it? I'm on AT&T's Next program and my monthly bill is $120. That's not something you ignore.

Ever heard of welfare? You can ignore a decent amount of stuff when that's involved. :lol:

post #55 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taniwha View Post

The Author of the article is ignoring it. The cost is $99+24x120 or $29+24x120 which is quite different. Now I know that the 120 includes the cost of the phone plus various other services (data,voice, whatever). But that's what makes it important to simply refer to the unsubisidized cost of the phone in articles like this. anything else is just BS.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Walmart to permanently cut price of Apple's iPhone 5s to $99, iPhone 5c to $29
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Walmart to permanently cut price of Apple's iPhone 5s to $99, iPhone 5c to $29