or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Timed with Aperture announcement, Apple updates remaining pro apps: Final Cut, Motion, Compressor & MainStage
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Timed with Aperture announcement, Apple updates remaining pro apps: Final Cut, Motion, Compressor...

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
On the heels of Apple's announcement that it will no longer update its professional photography software Aperture, the company issued a round of updates for many of its remaining pro apps, which the company has said will continue to live on.

FCP


Updates for Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5, and Compressor arrived on the Mac App Store Friday afternoon. The updates were issued just after Apple announced that it will no longer develop Aperture.

New features for Final Cut Pro X version 10.1.2 are:

  • Optimized, proxy, and rendered media can be stored at any location outside of the library
  • Easily delete optimized, proxy, and rendered media from within Final Cut Pro X
  • Used media indicators for Compound clips, Multicam clips, and Synced clips
  • Option to show only unused media in the Browser
  • Apply a standard (Rec. 709) look in real time to high dynamic range and wide color gamut video from ARRI, Blackmagic Design, Canon, and Sony cameras
  • Automatically apply an ARRI embedded 3D LUT from the new AMIRA camera
  • Support for Apple ProRes 4444 XQ
  • Improved speed and accuracy when synchronizing clips
  • Audio recording improvements including countdown and automatic Audition creation from multiple takes
  • Fast export of cuts-only projects containing XDCAM media
  • Export entire library as a single XML file
  • Selecting a library displays key metadata in the Inspector
  • Adjust relative and absolute volume of a clip or range selection
  • Create Keywords from Finder Tags when importing media
  • Option to sort events by date or name in the Libraries list
  • Import a clip by dragging directly into the Browser
  • Share 4K video to Vimeo


The Motion 5.1 update includes:

  • Optimized playback and rendering using dual GPUs in the new Mac Pro
  • FxPlug 3 with custom plug-in interfaces and dual-GPU support
  • Faster project loading, especially for complex projects
  • Share directly to YouTube at 4K resolution
  • Spanish language localization


The update for Compressor 4.1.1 includes:

  • Resolves issues installing Compressor on a system where Qmaster was previously enabled
  • Improves reliability of Send to Compressor from Final Cut Pro X
  • Addresses distributed encoding errors when source files are not on the startup volume
  • Fixes errors that could cause a hang when submitting a batch
  • Fixes a stability issue that could occur if multiple Compressor plug-ins are installed
  • Resolves an issue when viewing a plug-in setting without the plug-in installed
  • Includes general stability improvements


Finally, an update to MainStage 3 is said to be forthcoming, according to TechCrunch.
post #2 of 26

I'm happy with the little things like sorting by my clip name and showing only unused clips. Keyword and metadata improvements are welcome right off the bat. I'll be looking into the improvements immediately. Thank you, Apple.

post #3 of 26

I thought Logic is considered a Pro app.  No?

post #4 of 26
Hear that? That's the sound of all the people re-downloading FCP X after bailing to Premiere when FCP X 10.0 didn't have all the features that FCS 7 had.
post #5 of 26

Good to know they don’t plan on gutting their ENTIRE product line.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #6 of 26

Any thoughts on a replacement for Logic?  I don't need Pro Tools compatibility...

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply
post #7 of 26

Logic is not being discontinued.

post #8 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Any thoughts on a replacement for Logic?  I don't need Pro Tools compatibility...

Is it too much program for your needs? Have you looked at GarageBand?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #9 of 26
I'll know if it works in Yosemite in a few moments ... (without having to use the terminal work around) ...

nope ... drat.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #10 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post
 

Any thoughts on a replacement for Logic?  I don't need Pro Tools compatibility...

 

I personally use Abelton Live with Push but I would also recommend FL Studio for OSX. It's an absolutely fantastic piece of software for the beginner and professional alike. I recently purchased a Surface Pro 3 so I could use Ableton Live with a touch screen, but also wanted to try out FL Studio Groove, a Windows 8 only app, I thought it would be something cool to just play around with but it turned out to be one of the most intuitive music creation apps that I have used in recently history, love it. Anyway, defiantly try out FL Studio Producer. I would also recommend checking out AudioTool's free online app, very, very cool, has everything you would ever want to create cool music and did I mention that it was FREE.

 

 

 


Edited by Relic - 6/27/14 at 1:27pm
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #11 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I'll know if it works in Yosemite in a few moments ... (without having to use the terminal work around) ...

nope ... drat.

@dc FCPX 10.1.2 shows as a valid app and opens fine on OS X 10.10 (14A261i)
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougless View Post

Logic is not being discontinued.

Yes, I think the headline about updating the video pro apps is being conflated by many incorrectly to mean only keeping those, as opposed to meaning they are being updated at the same time Aperture and iPhoto are being dumped. So Logic Pro X is, from this information, not being updated today nor being dropped... that's how I read this.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

@dc FCPX 10.1.2 shows as a valid app and opens fine on OS X 10.10 (14A261i)

That's weird, it didn't for me on a new Mac pro running the latest Yosemite and after running these updates. I still got the message they are not compatible and they are greyed out with the 'no go' sign. Well that's good news for sure. I'll have to start over with my installations, something maybe screwy. Thanks for the info.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

@dc FCPX 10.1.2 shows as a valid app and opens fine on OS X 10.10 (14A261i)

That's weird, it didn't for me on a new Mac pro running the latest Yosemite and after running these updates. I still got the message they are not compatible and they are greyed out with the 'no go' sign. Well that's good news for sure. I'll have to start over with my installations, something maybe screwy. Thanks for the info.

FWIW, I just updated the apps from the Appstore Purchased screen. But I didn't have any prior versions of the apps on this particular Yosemite HDD -- so they were all fresh install as opposed to update/replacements.

Also, you'll be warned that you have to update your libraries (non-reversible) so I recommend you start with a small dummy library opened.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #15 of 26
Pity that without FCS, FCPX is largely orphaned in digital media workflows. Anyone know a way to use FCPX as a front end with an Avid back end?
post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

FWIW, I just updated the apps from the Appstore Purchased screen. But I didn't have any prior versions of the apps on this particular Yosemite HDD -- so they were all fresh install as opposed to update/replacements.

Also, you'll be warned that you have to update your libraries (non-reversible) so I recommend you start with a small dummy library opened.

OK thanks, I'll just play on copies once set up. I am going to set up a new Yosemite boot drive tomorrow. I suspect I have some damaged directories and Disk Warrior doesn't seem to like the 10.10 volume.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #17 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by longpath View Post

Pity that without FCS, FCPX is largely orphaned in digital media workflows. Anyone know a way to use FCPX as a front end with an Avid back end?

You lost me there ... what is FCS in this context? If you mean Final Cut Studio, I don't see the need for that in any work flow with FCPX so I assume you don't mean that. Sorry if I am being slow here ... 1biggrin.gif
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creep View Post

I thought Logic is considered a Pro app.  No?
Mainstage is part of Logic. Or is built off Logic's engine and plug in structure anyway.
post #19 of 26
So if they're not developing Aperture, does that mean they're discontinuing it ? If so, what will be replacing it ?
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creep View Post
 

I thought Logic is considered a Pro app.  No?

 

Logic had a significant update a month ago so it's not part of these.

post #21 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

Good to know they don’t plan on gutting their ENTIRE product line.

 

I give it 3-4 years (tops) before those are gone as well.

 

-kpluck

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Reply

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Reply
post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post
 

Any thoughts on a replacement for Logic?  I don't need Pro Tools compatibility...

 

 

Depending on your needs, Amadeus Pro is awesome.

 

I use both AP and Logic, sometimes together and sometimes recording into Logic and using AP as an editor.  AP has great noise reduction (which I need for spoken voice).

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #23 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I personally use Abelton Live with Push but I would also recommend FL Studio for OSX. It's an absolutely fantastic piece of software for the beginner and professional alike. I recently purchased a Surface Pro 3 so I could use Ableton Live with a touch screen, but also wanted to try out FL Studio Groove, a Windows 8 only app, I thought it would be something cool to just play around with but it turned out to be one of the most intuitive music creation apps that I have used in recently history, love it. Anyway, defiantly try out FL Studio Producer. I would also recommend checking out AudioTool's free online app, very, very cool, has everything you would ever want to create cool music and did I mention that it was FREE.


 

 

FL Studio for Mac is a WINE wrapped alpha test, which isn't getting completed. Image Line liked the number of downloads for it, and therefore are doing a proper Mac OS X port of FL Studio.
post #24 of 26
What a strange question. Ofcourse that's not possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by longpath View Post

Pity that without FCS, FCPX is largely orphaned in digital media workflows. Anyone know a way to use FCPX as a front end with an Avid back end?
post #25 of 26
That's a valid thought. Apple is so unpredictable that I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped FCPX and Logic even though they have seen major improvements.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Good to know they don’t plan on gutting their ENTIRE product line.
post #26 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

I give it 3-4 years (tops) before those are gone as well.

-kpluck

How much do you want to bet? I say you're wrong.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
  • Timed with Aperture announcement, Apple updates remaining pro apps: Final Cut, Motion, Compressor & MainStage
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Timed with Aperture announcement, Apple updates remaining pro apps: Final Cut, Motion, Compressor & MainStage