or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple CEO Tim Cook 'outed' as gay by CNBC co-achor
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple CEO Tim Cook 'outed' as gay by CNBC co-achor - Page 5

post #161 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollebolle View Post

I'm disappointed in that he doesn't dare to come out publicly. He has nothing to worry about, his life, financially, is set. Why doesn't he show himself as a potential role model? Especially when they want to make it seem Apple is such a value-abundant company...

Maybe he doesn't want to be a role model? He has better things to do than be an example for others. Maybe he can just be a role model by running a company without dealing with publicity nonsense? He's a CEO and not a celebrity.
post #162 of 191
Please what is this?
post #163 of 191
I think some people misunderstand what "outed" means. Tim Cook doesn't talk about being gay, but I don't think he's ever denied it. Also, I've I don't think I've ever heard Phil Schiller or Craig Federighi talk about being straight. I don't think Apple execs talk about their sexuality for the same reason they don't talk about anything other than Apple, it's not their job!

There's a big difference between being closeted and being private.
post #164 of 191

How can you "out" somebody who is as gay as the day is long?

 
Where's the new Apple TV?
 
 
(So Y is the new X?   Zzzzzzzzzz......)
Reply
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
 
 
(So Y is the new X?   Zzzzzzzzzz......)
Reply
post #165 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Just another reason to hate CNBC. If Tim Cook is gay and wants the public to know he'll tell us. That's his decision, not CNBC's or Kara Swisher's or anyone else's. Leave Cook alone!

 



Right on ! People who go on about such a personal thing are the BIG PROBLEM in society.
So CNBC is obviously a big problem.

As for me I didn't know there was such a thing as a gay person until I was about 18 yrs of age.
Anyway so what I thought. I'm not what's known as gay, but I'm not saying what my position is when I have sex. So there!!!

Our society is in the deep crap; just consider how many follow Kardashians and other "reality celebrities" shows. People are obsessed with celebrities' personal lives. People want to know what Kim had for lunch and what does she think about size of her arse.

I hope Tim will never "come out", regardless of his sexual preference. Keep it cool, Tim, let other "celebrities" prostitute themselves by selling their lives to keen public. For those who demand to know which sex you'd rather have in your bed, middle finger is already more than they deserve.
post #166 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post
 

How can you "out" somebody who is as gay as the day is long?

It is difficult to be discreet about ones stupidity.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #167 of 191

Pardon me... 166 posts as I write this... sorry, haven't read them all but... didn't AI cover the story the Tim Cook "was the most powerful 'gay' person in Silicon Valley" when TC was first named CEO (as the article mentioned)? If he hasn't publicly acknowledged this, hasn't he already been "outed" and him being gay is "common knowledge" (unfortunately - even if he doesn't say so officially)?

post #168 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2P View Post
 

Pardon me... 166 posts as I write this... sorry, haven't read them all but... didn't AI cover the story the Tim Cook "was the most powerful 'gay' person in Silicon Valley" when TC was first named CEO (as the article mentioned)? If he hasn't publicly acknowledged this, hasn't he already been "outed" and him being gay is "common knowledge" (unfortunately - even if he doesn't say so officially)?

Jan 2011- Appleinsider Story:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/11/01/20/apples_tim_cook_profiled_as_most_powerful_gay_man_in_silicon_valley

 

The Gawker story it is based on "Meet Apple's New Boss, The Most Powerful Gay Man in Silicon Valley"

http://gawker.com/5736917/meet-apples-new-boss-the-most-powerful-gay-man-in-silicon-valley

post #169 of 191
I agree it's a shitty article and I said nothing to slander his reputation and don't have anything against equal rights. As far as support of RED goes, I own the red iPod touch 5g, red iphone 5/5s case, and the red ipad Smart Cover and case. as far as it not being a major endorsement goes, it says on RED's website that Apple is their largest supporter.
post #170 of 191
I only said that because if there is any truth to this it would prove terribly ironic and laughably understandable
post #171 of 191

This story doesn't even move my needle. We live in a society where everything everyone does at all times is subject to being recorded and going viral. Tim is gay? Who cares. I look forward to the sun rising tomorrow. AI jumps on the rumor? Interesting.

 

That some are so deeply affected by such revelations is actually fascinating to me.

post #172 of 191
Who cares?

I don't care if he is gay... or magenta, martian, pastafarian...
post #173 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

True. Married men statistically live longer than unmarried men. But is that really something to fault someone for? Being unmarried? Some people are married to their work.

Marriage isn't particularly important but having relationships is. Tim could well be having relationships that people aren't aware of and I think it would be better if that's the case rather than being just a workaholic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'm sure Tim has a lot of meaningful interactions with people at work. I think you place far too much importance on sexual intimacy.

I think sexual intimacy is extremely important for people to feel happy but I accept that others might disagree with that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

It is unfair to compare a mentally ill, immature, spoiled brat, college dropout, to Tim Cook.

I just used a few examples of the effects that can come from feeling isolated. I wasn't suggesting Tim is about to go on a murderous rampage or commit suicide.

It seems to be a recurrent thing however that people dismiss the importance of relationships and whenever someone abruptly acts out, they are just dismissed as some crazy nut.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anome 
Newsflash: There are people in the world who aren't you. Just because you don't understand it, doesn't mean it must be wrong.

Like I said, there are biological forces that drive people to act how they do. If I had said I'd find it difficult to believe that someone would never want to eat food, that would have nothing to do with judging things solely from my own perspective, it's a simple observation of how the world works. Some things are more well-defined than others and elements that affect mental health are not as vital as elements that affect physical health but you can observe what has a positive and negative effect. Loneliness and isolation don't promote positive mental health - that's why solitary confinement and imprisonment are forms of punishment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anome 
Your comments about social standing and biological imperatives are the sort of garbage used to justify the misogynistic crap behind the Pick Up Artist and Men's Rights groups that the shooter you mention was involved in. You might want to rethink using them to back up your argument.

I don't know why people keep using the word misogyny in these contexts. That word means hatred of women, which is the exact opposite of an obsession and desire to be with women, which is philogyny. Rejection might turn into misogyny but the desire to be with women is not. It's often used to describe objectification but misandry (hatred of men) isn't used to describe sexual objectification of men.

Social standing and biological urges are not garbage justifications, they are observable facts. If you are living on the street, it's unlikely you'll find a satisfactory relationship as you aren't likely to be engaged in social events. Hormones control the development of the body to produce sexual behaviour and it create cycles e.g women ovulating, regular cycles of desire in men.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost 
We all experience loneliness; we all have murderous thoughts.

1eek.gif oookay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost 
The teenager's loneliness may have been a symptom, but not a cause.

It couldn't have been a symptom of his anger and decision to kill people, it was a cause of that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost 
I can't believe that you're justifying Hitler! You say, 'Although his success resulted in atrocities, he achieved a lot of what he wanted.' That is an appalling statement. So although he ordered the evil and brutal torture and murder of millions of innocent men, women and children, he fulfilled a lot of his own personal goals; so that's okay, then - but don't be lonely!

I didn't say what he did was ok. That would be like me claiming that you suggest being successful in relationships leads to genocide. I didn't assume that's the assertion you were making.

I was merely saying that social success more often leads to successfully achieving your life's goals. I'm not suggesting everyone's goals are commendable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost 
Wilful loneliness is not real loneliness? You really think that Jesus was a-ok, happily making sandcastles in the desert?

If you go on vacation for a month, that's your choice and very different from involuntary social isolation. At any point in time, you can choose to end your vacation end end your loneliness; when it's involuntary, that's not an option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewmaurice 
I don't think I've ever heard Phil Schiller or Craig Federighi talk about being straight.

Phil's wife would have something to say if he said otherwise. Jony Ive has a wife and kids. Not sure if there's anything about Federighi. He went to the Oscars, it might be his wife next to him:



The main reason I suspect the rumors are there for Tim is that people around him haven't observed him with a partner. Randy Ubillos has a male partner and nobody makes a fuss. People just make a fuss over the unknown like they're solving a mystery. The same would probably be true if he's straight. People were interested in who Steve was dating.

It's important to some people on the outside to know as they might be fans. Federighi is a good looking guy and I imagine a lot of women would be interested to know if he's single and also interested in women. If it turned out he was gay, they'd be wasting their time. This is the case with Cliff Richard who has a lot of female fans:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/sir-cliff-speaks-frankly-about-his-companion-the-expriest-920825.html

He has kept his sexuality a secret, most likely to avoid losing fans. He's currently living with a man but came close to marrying a few women.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlord 
I don't care if he is gay... or magenta, martian, pastafarian...

It helps if people limit the comparison to gay or straight. I know the intent is to trivialise the consideration of sexuality but it ends up equating sexuality to something that is not equivalent.
post #174 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2P View Post

Pardon me... 166 posts as I write this... sorry, haven't read them all but... didn't AI cover the story the Tim Cook "was the most powerful 'gay' person in Silicon Valley" when TC was first named CEO (as the article mentioned)? If he hasn't publicly acknowledged this, hasn't he already been "outed" and him being gay is "common knowledge" (unfortunately - even if he doesn't say so officially)?

What's the difference between what you call common knowledge and rumor?

Think about it. You, like Simon Hobbs, can't tell between what is established fact and what is hearsay.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #175 of 191
This unauthorized "outing" is typical of just about anything that comes out of NBC or their affiliated stations these days. Let me return the favor and "out" NBC commentators as the foremost assholes of television.
post #176 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by clayp711 View Post

as far as it not being a major endorsement goes, it says on RED's website that Apple is their largest supporter.

 

Perhaps from RED's perspective, Apple is a major endorsement, but from APPLE's perspective, it's a small thing.  Just like when I give $5 to a needy person on the street, they might view me as a major supporter, but from my perspective, it was a small thing that was the right thing to do.  

post #177 of 191
The only important thing is --- is he a good executive and does he do his job well. What he does in his personal life is his business.
post #178 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In a live TV segment of CNBC's "Squawk on the Street" on Friday, co-anchor Simon Hobbs caused a kerfuffle when he inadvertently "outed" Apple CEO Tim Cook as being openly gay....

...The gaffe came during a discussion with New York Times columnist and CNBC contributor James Stewart, who was on the show to talk up his latest think piece dealing with corporate culture and gay executives....
 

..."I just found it very, very fascinating," Stewart said. "Of course, there are gay CEOs in major companies, and I reached out to many them. I got an extremely cool reception"...

Then Hobbs jumped in.

"I think Tim Cook is open about the fact he's gay at the head of Apple, isn't he," Hobbs asked. Following a stifling silence from the panel, and a disparaging shake of the head from Stewart, the anchor tried to recover. "Oh, dear, was that an error? I thought not." [WTF]

The irony of Hobbs' ill-timed mistake was not lost on co-anchor David Faber, who said, "Wow, I think you just...yeah."

Listening closely, Hobbs can be heard just under the prattle of his co-anchors trying to cover for the slip, saying, "I think he's very open about it."
 

While Cook speaks somewhat frankly about Apple, he is notoriously guarded when it comes to his private life. [And this is why he should be!]

Speculation as to Cook's sexual orientation has been bandied about -- a profile from Valleywag went so far as to call Cook the "most powerful gay man in Silicon Valley" -- but the Apple chief has never "come out" publicly. Perhaps the closest thing to an acknowledgement was a speech Cook gave in December when he accepted a lifetime achievement award from his alma mater Auburn University. In it, he alluded to discrimination from his past, which was "rooted in fear of people that were different than the majority." [How many hero clarify that they are not gay and in fact only do the nasty in the missionary position.]

As for Cook, Stewart chose not to offer remarks on what is clearly speculation.

"I don't want to comment on anybody who might or might not be," Stewart said. "I'm not going to out anybody."

 

These guys are worse than analyst (so-called reporters). Not once in then article did it mention that Hobbs apologized for making a mistake or possibly doing so, nor did he give a good reason using Tim Cook as an example. Neither did he apparently try to list anyone else.

 

Sad that personal life of a very successful CEO must be brought up in anyway unless it might interfere business. Funny that Hobbs didn't bother to mention that Steve Jobs picked Tim as his successor many years ago -- Steve Jobs certainly knew and had not a fear in the world that it would be a detract from Apple's business in any way?!

 

I am not gay but do count several as close friends. Most Christian churches teach that tolerance and love is the way to go.

 

JMHO,

 

 

"Can't we all just get along?"

post #179 of 191
To Marvin: I accept some of your points, though I think your perspective is skewed. I think you make causal links where there are none. But I do take issue with your Jesus analogy: virtually everyone who goes on holiday comes into contact with many people. If you went on a trek into the wilderness for a month and a half and didn't see or be in contact with a soul, I think you'd get lonely.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #180 of 191

I find this lifestyle repulsive.

 

Everyone nowadays is pro-gay and everyone who is not has to be quiet. And that's fine, I'm not one to fight against the majority of people's opinions or to fight against people's personal lifestyle. But since everyone has a right to their own opinion that's mine, I find it appalling that people do these things sexually behind closed doors, of men having sex with men. I believe it to be perverse. Would I ever be disrespectful to homosexuals because of my opinion, no. That's their life and right to choose what they want. They aren't harming anyone. Can I disagree with their lifestyle, yes.

 

Funny how if there is a disagreement on a moral issue, the one who has a more conservative view has to be quiet now. I feel society's morals are degrading every year and if you disagree with it you get bitten. I'm not a political conservative either, as I'm neutral and never vote. I'm a peaceful person who never believed homosexuals should be "suppressed" or "hidden".

 

So that's my opinion and since people can voice theirs I would like to voice mine. I find this sexual behavior repulsive and society is going down the drain quickly because they are blind to see it.

post #181 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinmeraz View Post

 

So that's my opinion and since people can voice theirs I would like to voice mine. I find this sexual behavior repulsive and society is going down the drain quickly because they are blind to see it.

 

You haven't exactly shown how one leads to the other. Just calling others blind without doing that much is ridiculous.

post #182 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
 
 Not sure if there's anything about Federighi. He went to the Oscars, it might be his wife next to him:

Federighi is a good looking guy and I imagine a lot of women would be interested to know if he's single and also interested in women. If it turned out he was gay, they'd be wasting their time. 

I'd like to assume that Federighi is still married. He took a call from his wife "Hairforce 2" while on stage last year.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #183 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

 



Federighi is a good looking guy and I imagine a lot of women would be interested to know if he's single and also interested in women. If it turned out he was gay, they'd be wasting their time. 
I'd like to assume that Federighi is still married. He took a call from his wife "Hairforce 2" while on stage last year.

Funny name for a wife.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #184 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinmeraz View Post
 

I find this lifestyle repulsive.

 

Everyone nowadays is pro-gay and everyone who is not has to be quiet. And that's fine, I'm not one to fight against the majority of people's opinions or to fight against people's personal lifestyle. But since everyone has a right to their own opinion that's mine, I find it appalling that people do these things sexually behind closed doors, of men having sex with men. I believe it to be perverse. Would I ever be disrespectful to homosexuals because of my opinion, no. That's their life and right to choose what they want. They aren't harming anyone. Can I disagree with their lifestyle, yes.

 

Funny how if there is a disagreement on a moral issue, the one who has a more conservative view has to be quiet now. I feel society's morals are degrading every year and if you disagree with it you get bitten. I'm not a political conservative either, as I'm neutral and never vote. I'm a peaceful person who never believed homosexuals should be "suppressed" or "hidden".

 

So that's my opinion and since people can voice theirs I would like to voice mine. I find this sexual behavior repulsive and society is going down the drain quickly because they are blind to see it.

When you say, "I feel society's morals are degrading every year" and "society is going down the drain quickly", there is an implication that homosexuality is a new thing or that there are more homosexuals now than there have been in the past.    There isn't.   About 10% of human population has always been homosexual.    It may simply seem like there's more homosexuals because gays (for the most part) are no longer "in the closet".  

 

The fact that you personally find gay sex repulsive does not make it a moral issue any more than if I find brussels sprouts repulsive.    The question in a truly free society is whether people who are different than you are, even people you may find repulsive, have the same rights as you do.   It's not a matter of being "pro-gay".   It's a matter of whether you believe gays are entitled to the same civil rights as everyone else.   If you find gay sex repulsive, that's fine...don't have any. 

 

Never voting does not make you neutral.   Never voting is usually an endorsement of whoever is already in office, because it's relatively hard to throw out an incumbent.     I would go so far to say that never voting is an immoral position because it's refusing to take any role in improving society even when those choices are the lesser of two evils.

 

I might agree with you that "society is going down the drain".   But not for the reasons you do.   I think it might be going down the drain because we're moving away from logic, intellect and science; because we are moving away from caring about the rights of other people; because we're obsessed with guns; because we're placing corporations above people; because we're not taking care of this planet; because we place the measure of our success solely on either fame or the almighty dollar and because so many of our institutions - both public and private - have become completely corrupt. 

post #185 of 191

First of all, it shouldn't matter if he is or if he isn't. Isn't that the intent of a free and open society? Differences should not normally matter. They can remain private or not private and there should be no impact on or from society. But "we" keep dragging out differences. When will "we" just get over it and move on?

 

But second, if the man wants to keep it private, and you don't really know one way or the other, as a journalist shouldn't you shut your trap?

 

I guess the only thing CNBC can say for themselves is "at least we aren't MSNBC."

post #186 of 191

Well hold on. Martian might be important. Do you grok?

post #187 of 191
Quote:
When you say, "I feel society's morals are degrading every year" and "society is going down the drain quickly", there is an implication that homosexuality is a new thing or that there are more homosexuals now than there have been in the past.    There isn't.   About 10% of human population has always been homosexual.    It may simply seem like there's more homosexuals because gays (for the most part) are no longer "in the closet".  

 

You're right in the amount of homosexuality and it's always existing. But I do believe when people are young, sexuality can be twisted, or an emotional, physical and spiritual view on it can be influenceable - it's not something set in stone for a long of young people.  While it may not be that common or that easy per se, I do believe that exists.

 

Quote:
The fact that you personally find gay sex repulsive does not make it a moral issue any more than if I find brussels sprouts repulsive.    The question in a truly free society is whether people who are different than you are, even people you may find repulsive, have the same rights as you do.   It's not a matter of being "pro-gay".   It's a matter of whether you believe gays are entitled to the same civil rights as everyone else.   If you find gay sex repulsive, that's fine...don't have any. 

Sorry, the fact that I find it repulsive is not the reason it is a moral issue. Correct. I didn't mean to come off like that. I do however, like yourself, have a definition of morality and I believe this is an unnatural and immoral form of sexuality. Such as adultery and fornication. Also, I believe people should always be treated equally and with respect if they do so to others. My disagreement is not a tyrannical loathing that wants people to have discriminative treatment.

 

Quote:
Never voting does not make you neutral.   Never voting is usually an endorsement of whoever is already in office, because it's relatively hard to throw out an incumbent.     I would go so far to say that never voting is an immoral position because it's refusing to take any role in improving society even when those choices are the lesser of two evils.     One thing I do blame both the left and those in the middle for is not coming out to vote.  The Tea Party is brilliant at getting the far right to vote and as a result, they have far more influence than their actual numbers. 

We have very different views on this. And I will respect your view as it has a lot of truth and positive attributes. My reasons have very deep meaning, as yours, and it does have somewhat do with the "two evils". I really won't go into it more than that but it has nothing to do with apathy or lack of understanding on the repercussions of not voting.

 

Quote:
I might agree with you that "society is going down the drain".   But not for the reasons you do.   I think it might be going down the drain because we're moving away from logic, intellect and science; because we are moving away from caring about the rights of other people; because we're obsessed with guns; because we're placing corporations above people; because we're not taking care of this planet; because we place the measure of our success solely on either fame or the almighty dollar and because so many of our institutions - both public and private - have become completely corrupt. 

I'm sorry, I did sound ignorant there. I didn't mean to say homosexuality is the reason for society going down the drain. I believe people's views are becoming much more immoral, and thats one of the reasons society is degrading. There are many other reasons, some of which you yourself have named. Caring for other people's rights is actually on the increase with gay rights and abortion (which I'm also against). So I would disagree there, can more be done, yes, but that will be attended to in time because society is empowered to fight for its right, thanks to the US constitution - which has made the government weak (for a period of time). I have very different views on what "progress" is however. The gun rights issue is an agenda right now and guns will be done away with in a couple of years. Corporations above people is something I firmly believe is an evil that will exist until the very end. It represents the established hierarchy and the very core of capitalism. And much more.


Edited by marvinmeraz - 6/30/14 at 5:28pm
post #188 of 191
Is not a choice is how God made them
Society is very complex
As long as nobody's is hurting others
Let them be
post #189 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by comley View Post

Is not a choice is how God made them
Society is very complex
As long as nobody's is hurting others
Let them be

There will always be people who view anything outside of the more common relationships as objectionable. For example this 26 year old guy with his own 72 year old grandmother:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/7662232/Grandmother-and-grandson-to-have-child-together.html

There was a skater boy actually posted videos of himself making out with his own grandmother online. Don't Google it. Not least because you'll get bombarded with mature dating ads forever more.

There's this 31 year old male with a 91 year old woman:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/real-life-stories/pictures-toy-boy-aged-31-3649504

There was a male teacher who eloped with a 15 year old female student jailed for 5.5 years:
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/459897/Will-jailed-school-teacher-Jeremy-Forrest-and-his-schoolgirl-lover-be-reunited
There was a female teacher who had a relationship with a 12 year old male student, jailed for 7 years and they got married when she was released:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/mary-kay-letourneau-back-jail-article-1.1568037

There's actually a surprising number of teacher student incidents (multiple gender combinations too - women-girls, men-boys etc):
http://28sherman.blogspot.com/2014/01/list-of-teachers-busted-for-sex-with.html
http://www.wnd.com/2014/05/39783/

It's not as simple as the parties involved being hurt as many of them aren't being hurt but society deems the relationships to be inappropriate. Inter-family relationships are considered harmful due to birth defects, age laws are to ensure informed consent is given.

One thing that doesn't help acceptance of homosexual relationships is the prevalence of HIV. This shows up in blood donor guidelines:

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Blood-donation/Pages/Who-can-use-it.aspx

"You should not donate blood for 12 months after having sex with:
a man who has had oral or anal sex with another man (if you are female)
a man (if you are male)
As of November 2011, a man who has sex with men can donate blood provided they have not had anal or oral sex with a man during the past 12 months (even with a condom). Previously, men who had sex with men were not allowed to donate blood."

This arises from the increased risk of infection:

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/risk/gender/msm/facts/index.html

"In 2010, gay and bisexual men accounted for 63% of estimated new HIV infections in the United States and 78% of infections among all newly infected men. Gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with men (MSM) represent approximately 2% of the United States population.

Results of HIV testing conducted in 20 cities as part of the National HIV Behavioral Surveillance System (NHBS) indicated that 18% of gay and bisexual men tested in 2011 had HIV"

When 2% of the population produced 60-70% of new HIV infections and almost 1 in 5 are afflicted by it, that gives people a false perception that the disease and the lifestyle are directly related. This has caused some problems in the adult industry:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/derrick-burts-hiv-in-pornography-the-naked-truth-2167532.html
That 24 year old became a victim after just 6 months in the industry.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2010/12/10/hiv-positive-porn-star-derrick-burts-gay-for-pay.html
"Like many male porn actors, Burts sometimes went “gay for pay,” performing in both straight porn with women under the name Cameron Reid, and gay porn with other men under the name Derek Chambers. The reason for two distinct names is that in the porn industry, doing both gay and straight porn—called “crossing over”—is both relatively common and also fairly taboo. Many female performers believe that the risk of contracting HIV during a scene is vastly increased if their male partner participates in gay porn. In October, when the alarm bells were first sounded about the still anonymous Patient Zeta, porn star Courtney Cummz told The Daily Beast she was “terrified” by stars who cross over, and thought the Occupational Safety and Health Administration should step in to prevent it."

Another thing that can make people uneasy is when it comes to the family setup, like this:

http://news.sky.com/story/1043945/elton-john-and-david-furnish-show-off-new-son

A child will almost always have a single biological father and mother so producing children this way separates children from their biological parents. This can happen with heterosexual couples but it will be the case in every homosexual relationship.

I imagine that tolerance of relationships is in some way linked to perceived harm but who gets to decide what's harmful? Is it more or less harmful to prevent a student being with a teacher if they end up killing themselves because they can't be with who they want to be with?

People usually suggest a rule that anything that two people of a certain age consent to is ok but that doesn't go far enough to guarantee a positive outcome in every scenario. The ultimate aim should be to try and eliminate suffering and help people to have as positive an experience in life as they can but it's very difficult to determine fixed rules to ensure this outcome.

There was a case this year of a 5 year old who had their gender reassigned:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2643231/When-family-dies-I-cut-hair-I-boy-Parents-share-story-having-transgender-child-let-change-gender-aged-just-FIVE.html

The child was reportedly extremely unhappy being a girl even at that young age but making the judgement call to go about fixing it is not an easy task.

Ultimately society will always try to impose rules on what is tolerated and what isn't by a consensus. The more cases that come out in favor of particular scenarios, the more they'll be accepted but when dealing with small minorities, it's more likely for the progress to be impeded. It would help for people not to be hateful even when they object to things but I doubt this will ever happen as it's just human nature.
post #190 of 191
Five is too young to make a massive decision like that !

What two consenting adults do is up to them

We really need to have more common sense

Society needs more tolerance
We seem to blow things out of proportion
And point out extreme cases
God made us the way we are we all need love some people love in a different way
post #191 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


Why is Craig F. behind him there?  ;)

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple CEO Tim Cook 'outed' as gay by CNBC co-achor