or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple CEO Tim Cook 'outed' as gay by CNBC co-achor
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple CEO Tim Cook 'outed' as gay by CNBC co-achor - Page 2

post #41 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiepaul View Post

Tim is CEO of the worlds largest and most admired company. It is entirely his own decision to stay private about his decision and I respect that. But I also think he could be an inspiration to many people who have sufferered descrimination if he came out about it. From what I've read about other famous people who have done it, they describe feeling liberated and don't regret at all the decision. If he is gay I do hope he comes out on his own terms while he is still Apple's CEO. I don't understand his decision not to, but I'm not gay so I'll never understand.

(Edit Not that I disagree with what you're saying, but it looks like I just made up a whole other way to put thoughts in his head.)

Tim Cook is a very smart guy, so what he does, whatever he does, is probably very deliberate and considered. He may have decided that "coming out" or the whole concept of "outing" is flawed. It assumes there was something important to hide in the first place, that it depends on a culture of shame. That's not something he would be inclined to agree with, the way I read his character. And then there's the issue of not wanting to reward the purveyors or what is essentially gossip, with a confirmation. That would piss one off no end, seems to me. Finally, he must feel that his first duty is to Apple and all the people who are associated with it, including us customers. Maybe better to let sleeping dogs lie.
Edited by Flaneur - 6/28/14 at 3:38am
post #42 of 191

Tim Cook is brilliant.

 

Being left-handed – being black or being gay is just as natural.  It is a sometimes rare occurrence to fall in Love and to hold that person in your heart and be loved in return ... it is something that should be celebrated!   If it is love between two guys or two girls … all the better … it takes even more courage to defend that LOVE!

post #43 of 191
'Murica..... where sexuality is still newsworthy. Shock and awe value.

Meanwhile, Tennessee brings back the electric chair, and it's just biz as usual.
Edited by Quadra 610 - 6/28/14 at 3:47am
post #44 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksec View Post

Has the column, or American in general still think the world == America? In spite of civil rights from where?
Most if not all FT 500 are multinational. Have luck trying to explain that to those country that civil rights hasn't advanced ( So to speak in American points of view )

And i continue to think whether CEO's sexual orientation, or the support of sexual orientation ( Brendan Eich ) are entirely their own business as long as they keep it to themselves.

Please just leave those people's private life along.

You realize that America is still vastly more progressive than the majority of the world- right? How about being murdered for being gay. There's your serious problems...

As far a Tim Cook is concerned, who cares? Even if you HATE gays, which is a problem in itself, that's like not watching a movie with an actor, director, or producer that supports homosexuality. Good luck!

Now if Cook decided he wants to be a woman and starts wearing female clothes and schedules a gender change, then I'll worry. Until then, he should continue to be one of the Top CEOs of the best company in the world. I hear Ballmer is straight, maybe we should get him! /s
Edited by Andysol - 6/28/14 at 3:48am

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #45 of 191
I'm confused. We all knew that. It's not an outing then and not only there is nothing wrong with this, there is also nothing wrong with talking about it.
post #46 of 191
Tim Cook is tim Cook is Tim Cook. Why should his sexuality be a subject of conversation?
Do I have to have a notice around my neck, saying openly heterosexual? Really! As others have commented, he is a superb CEO. Enough said.
post #47 of 191
Wow now that I've read how people reacted I'm shocked by how stupid they were. As if it's bad talking about someone being gay lol. As a gay man, I find this insulting. I'm sure Cook doesn't care, and that's why he never felt the need to come out. Coming out sometimes makes sense for people, sometimes not, depending on their personal experience. Whatever the case, people shouldn't excpect all gay people to come out. These guys are ridiculous.
post #48 of 191

Big deal so he is gay. Anyone can see that.

post #49 of 191
There's not really any reason to use phrases like 'outed' because there shouldn't be a stigma around this any more. People aren't outed as being straight after years of assuming they were gay. Randy Ubillos the FCP lead has his own (poorly designed) website about him and his partner:

http://rickandrandy.com

Ellen Page went to an event recently and announced she was gay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqJThFrFXh4

People have a right to privacy and if they don't want people to know their sexuality that's ok but there shouldn't be any reason to keep it secret.

I can understand where some of the reluctance to declare it comes from though. Tim Cook mentions in the following video about being brought up in Alabama and witnessing a cross burning:



Alabama just recently overturned a law discriminating against same sex relationships:

http://time.com/2888277/alabama-sodomy-law-gay-rights/

There are more examples of discrimination still going on:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/13/alabama-gay-marriage_n_4781328.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/26/gay-teen-gaytard-name-tag_n_5533227.html

There's strength in numbers though and the more people are made to accept homosexual relationships, the less this will happen.

It's not important that Tim Cook tells people openly about his private life but he is often profiled as being a workaholic and some see that as a good thing. I think people should maintain a healthy work-life balance. Tim is 53 and if he doesn't have a partner to share his life with then that's not a good thing. Nobody needs to know if he has a partner or not but I just hope that he doesn't spend his life just dedicated to his work at Apple.

"Poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for". Sadly people throughout history have been denied this because of discrimination and I hope Tim isn't one of them.
post #50 of 191
I long for the day when this doesn't have to matter.
post #51 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

OT: Apple is back on top on Barron's list of most respected companies. Perhaps CNBC should focus in that instead of whether a CEO is gay of not.

http://barrons.wsj.net/public/resources/documents/BARRONS_WORLDS_MOST_RESPECTED_COMPANIES_2014.pdf

Or, perhaps it's important to the hope of growing a better world, that people equate "well-respected" and "gay executive" routinely.

I seem to recall his topic and Mr. Cook have been alluded a few times in the past few years, and I always thought the relative silence 

that ensued was simply because it was obvious that it doesn't relate to any person's character or competence,

and certainly not in the way of needing to be concealed (unless, of course, an individual prefers that).

post #52 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

Tim Cook is gay. We all know that. He doesn't speak of his personal life. It doesn't matter.

Tim is simply the best CEO Apple can have after Steve Jobs. He will continue to be Apple's CEO for the rest of his life. Apple is his baby now.

Well put. I agree.

Daniel Swanson

Reply

Daniel Swanson

Reply
post #53 of 191
I tried to think about how this would change my opinion of him. It doesn't. Tim Cook is a superb CEO, perfect fit for Apple, and a genuinely good person. Steve Jobs knew that as well.
Never Underestimate the Power of
Stupid People in Groups
Reply
Never Underestimate the Power of
Stupid People in Groups
Reply
post #54 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by quamb View Post

Who cares. And shame on the media to harp on about things like this. The only way we'll move past social issues like homophobia and racism, is to well, stop making a thing about it at every damn chance we get.

Well put. I agree.

Daniel Swanson

Reply

Daniel Swanson

Reply
post #55 of 191
What's next? Outing Phil Schiller as overweight?
post #56 of 191
I believe the reason for Tim Cook's reticence has little to do with the cultural climate within corporations. Certainly, his sexual preference makes no difference to the thousands of employees at Apple. Rather, he keeps himself in the closet out of fear that disclosure of his being gay would unfavorably affect the Company's image with that portion of the buying public that holds bigoted views. I suspect that this is the primary reason most CEOs who are gay remain in the closet.
post #57 of 191
Yet one more reason where 95 percent of my news come from non mainstream media. These guys have nothing worth hearing. I'll never watch show for sure now

Who cares if TC is gay. Apple is awesome. TC is awesome and I'm loving my idevices. Nuff said
post #58 of 191
Who cares about whether someone is gay or not? I have a few gay clients and they are the nicest guys you could hope to meet. As for Tim, well, it's been public knowledge since before Steve Jobs died. And like I said, who cares? Far more important to stop voting for religious hardliners who are vociferously against gay lifestyles who then get caught in gay encounters after voting for laws against the things they themselves practiced: there should be no hypocrites in politics; sadly, there does seem to be rather a lot of them...
post #59 of 191
My opinion and shared by many, possibly Tim Cook too because he is a professional, we're not interested in a side show or something becoming bigger than it should. Sexual orientation has no place in the pride of being good at what you do. If you make it an issue when it should not be, you are simply inviting hatred. I don't think Tim Cook minds the occasional speculation of his sexual orientation as long as it leans towards the homosexual verdict... It's enough outing that those in the closet can feel more comfortable about themselves. Nobody should pressure someone to explicitly out themselves since it is most often counter-productive to the task at hand.
post #60 of 191

I'm so not interesseted if some has sex with a man, a woman, a dog, or all three of them!

 

Can we now go back to whether there will be a 4" iPhone 6 too, when the 5.5" model will arive and what Apple did to make the A8 faster than the A7?

post #61 of 191
How is Cook's sexual orientation relevant to anything other than his personal life which none of anyone's business unless Cook chooses to discuss it in public? What a waste.
post #62 of 191
As usual, CNBC on the cutting edge of breaking news. I'm only concerned if my Apple stocks drop!!!
post #63 of 191

Cook is neither in nor out of the closet. It's been generally known that he's gay for some time, but like most people he sees no need to discuss his private life. Good for him — it's none of anyone else's business.

post #64 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

I'm confused. We all knew that. It's not an outing then and not only there is nothing wrong with this, there is also nothing wrong with talking about it.

Agreed. IMO the only ones finding it to be a big deal are those that think it should be a big deal. We have a Gay Pride weekend going on in St Pete (FL) this weekend with a big over-the-top (and sometimes suggestive) parade, accompanied by all the trimmings like specialty vendor booths, official presentations and parties. They've made it a big deal.

I suppose I don't really understand why your sexual-orientation should be cause for either celebration or ridicule. It is what it is. Then again the Irish do parade in Boston.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #65 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

Tim Cook is a badass. Nothing else matters. He can bang goats and sheep for all I care as long as he continues to kick ass.

And if he continues to kick ass, and wants to bang goats and sheep, then the board better perk him a farm.

First you compliment Tim Cook; but then you turnaround and conflate homosexuality with banging animals. Even if it was unintentional or an attempt at clever humor, using a bestiality reference is what many bigots like to do. I can give you many examples; a recent prominent one being Dr. Ben Carson, a so called presidential contender. I'm not suggesting you are a bigot at all, just sayin it is bad form to combine the two even tho I think you meant well. (And I agree Tim is badass)
post #66 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by cws View Post

I believe the reason for Tim Cook's reticence has little to do with the cultural climate within corporations. Certainly, his sexual preference makes no difference to the thousands of employees at Apple. Rather, he keeps himself in the closet out of fear that disclosure of his being gay would unfavorably affect the Company's image with that portion of the buying public that holds bigoted views. I suspect that this is the primary reason most CEOs who are gay remain in the closet.

I disagree. Straight or gay, I think for Tim Cook it simply comes down to his personal life having no barring on his ability to run Apple so it's not worth discussing as well being, well, personal.

Also, if one is gay, you can be open (as in not "closeted") and still not discuss your love life. In fact I find it so odd that it would ever come up. I guess it's considered obvious if you have a wife and kids, but history has shown us that means nothing.

It seems that not being married mean you must be gay as even on this thread plenty of people are saying they don't care that he's gay while saying that they know he's gay without any evidence to support this position.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #67 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

Tim Cook is gay. We all know that.

Until Tim states it not we don't KNOW it
Quote:
He doesn't speak of his personal life. It doesn't matter.

It certainly should not matter. Although apparently it does to many people otherwise it wouldn't keep coming up.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #68 of 191
Who gives a F*#K. Keep sending those dividend checks you wonderful brilliant CEO of a man!
post #69 of 191
" undefined". WTF?... in reference to this post which was reduced to "undefined"....

to paraphrase... Gay GOOD, Outing BAD...
Edited by haar - 6/28/14 at 7:20am
post #70 of 191
WTF??? Tim Cook was known as the first openly gay CxO of a Fortune 500 company BEFORE he joined Apple in 1998. (So I think it's great that people look past that to such a degree that they actually forget!)
post #71 of 191

I agree with most of the posts in this thread, and who gives a crap if a CEO is gay?

 

I also think that CNBC is a crappy channel.

 

However, I don't agree with a few posts in this thread, like a couple that seem to accept bestiality. No, that's not cool at all, and you belong behind bars if you are a sick and perverted, mentally ill, sadistic, animal abuser. Those kind of people can F.ck off.

post #72 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

You realize that America is still vastly more progressive than the majority of the world- right? How about being murdered for being gay. There's your serious problems...

As far a Tim Cook is concerned, who cares? Even if you HATE gays, which is a problem in itself, that's like not watching a movie with an actor, director, or producer that supports homosexuality. Good luck!

Now if Cook decided he wants to be a woman and starts wearing female clothes and schedules a gender change, then I'll worry. Until then, he should continue to be one of the Top CEOs of the best company in the world. I hear Ballmer is straight, maybe we should get him! /s

I think you missed ksec's point completely. 1) he doesn't care if cook's gay. Good that. 2) The US might be tolerant or understanding of homosexuality but many countries are horrifically ignorant in that regard. The consequences to a multinational corporation would be considerable.
post #73 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post


You realize that America is still vastly more progressive than the majority of the world- right? How about being murdered for being gay. There's your serious problems...

 

Yep, that is true, just read the news. There are a ton of primitive countries and certain barbaric religious countries in the world that will cause big problems for a person if they're gay, or accused of being gay, even if they're not.

post #74 of 191
Who cares?
post #75 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post

The consequences to a multinational corporation would be considerable.

 

I think that it would be hilarious if a few shitty countries in the world were to ban Apple products, because of a gay CEO.

 

I think that those kind of knuckledraggers should be provoked. F.ck 'em.

post #76 of 191
I'd actually find it weird if Tim Cook publicly "came out". Simply because it would have nothing to do with Apple.

The reason he'd never do it is not because of fear, but because he knows it would (A) not benefit Apple, and (B) quite likely damage Apple. Even if it's just a small damage, it would still be damage, and why would he be doing that? It would make no sense. He would not help the gay cause, if there were one, and quite likely I don't think there is one. I think the cause is all people are created equal, if they're a beggar on the street of the CEO of the world's biggest company, or the President of the USA or a child rolling in the dirt in an Indian slum. That is the cause. If you realize that all are equal, their sexual preferences matter as little as their color of skin, their gender, or their net worth.
post #77 of 191
Discussion of Tim Cook's personal life is warranted if it is impacting his performance as CEO. That's not the case -- CNBC needs to apologize for broadcasting speculation.
post #78 of 191
My apologies ! I thought he was gay but I don't care he is a great person
post #79 of 191

I don't understand what this obsession is with whether someone famous is gay or not.    And why is it only a question when it pertains to potentially gay people and not to potentially heterosexual people? 

 

Although people I work with know that I was once married and have a child, they don't really know much of what goes on in my private life and the question is never really raised other than "what'd you do this weekend?"   It shouldn't be raised with Cook either.    Raising the issue of whether he's gay makes about as much sense as guessing whether he cleans between his toes when he bathes.  

 

Any exec's private life (and even a politician's private life) should be just that - their private life.   Unless they're doing something illegal in that private life, it's really none of our business.    I think one of the reasons why we're stuck with such lousy politicians in both parties is because no one in their right mind wants to be bothered with that kind of scrutiny, especially for the relatively lousy pay (as compared with a senior executive).

 

As soon as a reporter or commentator raises the question of whether someone is gay, there's an implication that there's something wrong with being gay.    It's almost like asking, "have you stopped beating your wife lately?

post #80 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

Tim Cook is gay. We all know that. He doesn't speak of his personal life. It doesn't matter.

Tim is simply the best CEO Apple can have after Steve Jobs. He will continue to be Apple's CEO for the rest of his life. Apple is his baby now.

Bingo, James. Good post! :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple CEO Tim Cook 'outed' as gay by CNBC co-achor