or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › upgrade to mavericks or wait for Yosemite
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

upgrade to mavericks or wait for Yosemite

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

Hi all,

I have a 2008 macbook but not sure if it is early or late. No matter here is a copy and paste of "my computer" below. I currently run snow leopard which is not supported any longer but no problems so far with 3rd party apps not working. In other words, this isn't urgent as of yet. I am not sure I can actually upgrade past mt. lion but I have found conflicting info. Last info I found was that my "model identifier" shows I'm not up to the task.

 

Thanks

Ron

 

 

 Model Name:    MacBook
  Model Identifier:    MacBook4,1
  Processor Name:    Intel Core 2 Duo
  Processor Speed:    2.1 GHz
  Number Of Processors:    1
  Total Number Of Cores:    2
  L2 Cache:    3 MB
  Memory:    4 GB
  Bus Speed:    800 MHz
  Boot ROM Version:    MB41.00C1.B00
  SMC Version (system):    1.31f1
  Serial Number (system):    W88399A85HS
  Hardware UUID:    E30CDAFD-2995-5104-AC7C-BC7B7D3A1C2A
  Sudden Motion Sensor:
  State:    Enabled

post #2 of 10

Anything that can get 10.8 can get .9 and .10. You have a unibody, so Late. I'm running Yosemite on an Early right now.

 

They're both free, so it hardly matters.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

They're both free, so it hardly matters.


That makes sense. I was thinking that Yosemite was not available until this fall! So the "wait" is not a consideration.

 

Thanks

Ron

post #4 of 10
Originally Posted by plastermaster View Post
I was thinking that Yosemite was not available until this fall!

 

Well, it's not. Even if you want it, I'd still get Mavericks onto your account right now so you'll have it for download again if you need it once Yosemite comes out.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #5 of 10

I am still using LION and I am quite content with it.Newest is not always the greatest.

post #6 of 10
Thread Starter 

I figure its only a matter of time b4 lion will not be supported, and start having problems with apps not working as they should. That is why I finally switched to snow leopard. I tend not to do upgrades unless I really have to. When I went to Snow Leopard I did need to make use of the apple care that came with it. So one question I have is that with a free download of any of the available upgrades, do any of them come with support in case there is something in my system that is causing problems as was the case with Snow Leopard? I kinda doubt they would offer that on a free download.

 

I' a little confused about Yosemite. Tallest Skil posted having it but then posted that it is not yet available? I am new to this forum (at least in usage) Do insiders get to try things b4 they are available to the general public?

 

Thanks

post #7 of 10
Originally Posted by plastermaster View Post
I figure its only a matter of time b4 lion will not be supported

 

It’s already not supported. No security updates, etc.

 
So one question I have is that with a free download of any of the available upgrades, do any of them come with support in case there is something in my system that is causing problems as was the case with Snow Leopard? I kinda doubt they would offer that on a free download.

 

Of course. It’s just like any OS before. Security updates for the most recent plus the last two, support for all of them on Apple.com, going back to whenever.

 
I' a little confused about Yosemite. Tallest Skil posted having it but then posted that it is not yet available?

 

It’s just the developer preview. I certainly wouldn’t recommend installing it for any other use.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #8 of 10

What is so great about Mavericks?

post #9 of 10
Thread Starter 

I talked to Apple yesterday (sales) and they told me that SL is still supported as far as security goes, and that they will continue to support it as long as they are still selling it. And, that the only problem I might have would be with 3rd party apps as it ages. They certainly were not trying to sell me anything :)

post #10 of 10

Stick with Apple for this information not always members here.They know what is happening all the time regarding Apple C/S

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › upgrade to mavericks or wait for Yosemite