or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Parade of 'iPhone 6' mockups aren't final design, back panel will feature glass like 5s

Rumor: Parade of 'iPhone 6' mockups aren't final design, back panel will feature glass like 5s - Page 2

post #41 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

"Unproven facts."

Uh-huh. Right.

It's called making a stupid mistake. Thank you for understanding.

post #42 of 50

This is perfectly fine to me.

post #43 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post

This is perfectly fine to me.

But still better with fewer lines IMO:

Here's it with white lines:

Here's it with glass/sapphire splits to show the case through it:

and no splits at all:

The last one looks a bit plain and lacks some character. The ones with solid lines just look like they have too much contrast although out of those, I'd prefer white lines with a silver Apple logo. But my preference would be transparent lines with silver logo:

It makes sense that the cutouts are for the glass though. I wonder if they could make the top part a single piece of sapphire and not separate from the camera lens. This way they wouldn't have to judge the tolerance of the hole. The camera and back plate would be constructed together. They might still have to make a hole for the flash though or the flash could bleach out the photos.

Here's it with the old iPhone 5 style:

post #44 of 50

The iPhone 6 will not be getting any glass  inserts as it is clearly evident in these drawings and pictures. But what is interesting is how the top and bottom rounded ends caps are separate parts. In some CAD drawing, they are even rendered a different color. The bodies could well have been made out of the same uni-body aluminum Apple is famous for, but instead are separately attached parts.There would have to be a good reason for that. I am going to go out on a limb and predict that the top and bottom ends will be made out of Liquidmetal.

Those two end pieces are the the parts that would receive the most wear and tear, and unlike aluminum, Liquidmetal is stronger and retains a scratch-free surface longer. If Apple were to begin using Liquidmetal, incrementally on smaller parts would make the most sense.

Edited by Ingela - 7/6/14 at 5:24pm
post #45 of 50
Originally Posted by Ingela View Post
The iPhone 6 will not be getting any glass  inserts as it is clearly evident in these drawings and pictures. 

Provided, you know, they’re real.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
post #46 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I never did believe those thick antenna bands would be in the final product. I wonder then if the back will look just like the current 5S. Or maybe it will be sapphire? I wouldn't mind seeing something different.

I wouldn't be surprised if they changed out the glass on the back for some 'apologetic plastic'

personally i just want to see them make the iPhones and especially the iPads way more repairable. It's idiotic that one has to replace a whole iPad over a blown speaker or a bad battery. particularly out of warranty. 

if they were to do that then they can keep the 5C/5S designs as far as I'm concerned.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #47 of 50
Quote:

The iPhone 6 will not be getting any glass  inserts as it is clearly evident in these drawings and pictures. 

unless of course those drawings are wrong. We saw a lot of mockups and drawings of that teardrop phone and it never happened. 

post #48 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

unless of course those drawings are wrong. We saw a lot of mockups and drawings of that teardrop phone and it never happened. 

Yeah but the actual photos of the case look very convincing. Those are not 3d printed parts. Those are very precise and intricate cnc machined parts. They're the real deal.

post #49 of 50
Quote:

Yeah it looks like the parts that were previously glass are machined out of the same piece of metal as the body in the drawing. One thing that's nice with the glass is it accentuates the back color.

The white makes it look brighter, the black makes it look darker. The metal alone has a duller appearance. Still, it's how all their Macs are designed. Having the metal connected like this lets them skip the step of matching the glass plates to the body (5:40):

Jony Ive says the backplates are photographed and then matched to one of 725 cuts of glass for the closest match. This entire step can be bypassed if they fill the seams with plastic. The horizontal line in the drawing is where the plastic will attach onto. The top and bottom bands being the antennas will be separate and so that leads to the surrounding lines.

Maybe they can't do horizontal lines alone because it would mean the camera part is attached to the top antenna. It would be nicer if they did that though, the loop doesn't look very nice.
post #50 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Yeah it looks like the parts that were previously glass are machined out of the same piece of metal as the body in the drawing. One thing that's nice with the glass is it accentuates the back color.

The white makes it look brighter, the black makes it look darker. The metal alone has a duller appearance. Still, it's how all their Macs are designed. Having the metal connected like this lets them skip the step of matching the glass plates to the body (5:40):

Jony Ive says the backplates are photographed and then matched to one of 725 cuts of glass for the closest match. This entire step can be bypassed if they fill the seams with plastic. The horizontal line in the drawing is where the plastic will attach onto. The top and bottom bands being the antennas will be separate and so that leads to the surrounding lines.

Maybe they can't do horizontal lines alone because it would mean the camera part is attached to the top antenna. It would be nicer if they did that though, the loop doesn't look very nice.

Watching the video again after the end of the 5 cycle makes me appreciate the iPhone 5 even more. Still looks classy as hell and the level of precision is mind boggling. I think what they have learned prom previous products and the robotics involved today in assembly  only now make things like the iWatch possible for them.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Rumor: Parade of 'iPhone 6' mockups aren't final design, back panel will feature glass like 5s
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Parade of 'iPhone 6' mockups aren't final design, back panel will feature glass like 5s