or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases OS X Mavericks 10.9.4 with fixes for Wi-Fi, wake from sleep
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple releases OS X Mavericks 10.9.4 with fixes for Wi-Fi, wake from sleep

post #1 of 69
Thread Starter 
As Mac users await this fall's launch of OS X Yosemite, Apple's current Mac operating system received a minor update on Monday, with OS X Mavericks 10.9.4 fixing minor bugs related to Wi-Fi and wake from sleep.




OS X 10.9.4 is now available to download through Software Update on the Mac App Store. Apple has said the update is recommended for all users of the Mavericks operating system, and it improves the stability, compatibility and security of Mac systems.

Specifically, the update is said to fix an issue that could prevent some Macs from automatically connecting to known Wi-Fi networks. The update also improves the reliability of wake from sleep.

In addition, the new software update also includes Safari 7.0.5, the latest version of Apple's desktop Web browser.

OS X 10.9.4 only received two betas before Monday's launch to the public. The first developer beta was supplied at the end of May.

Any updates to Mavericks going forward are likely to be minor similar to the security and stability update issued on Monday. That's because Apple's attention has focused to OS X Yosemite, which is set to become available for free on the Mac App Store this fall. For more, see AppleInsider's full coverage of Yosemite.

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #2 of 69

Is this the one that was code named 'Epic'?

EDIT: I seldom post without an edit.
Reply
EDIT: I seldom post without an edit.
Reply
post #3 of 69

Why is the iOS update Breaking News, and the OS X one not? I guess OS X isn't important anymore to AI. 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #4 of 69
Has the slowness of the previous update been fixed?
post #5 of 69
Mine isn't even showing an update.

Oh wait... there it is.
post #6 of 69

You would think they would fix Mail.app before exiting to Yosemite. I think yearly updates are nice but it seems they leave some problems unresolved. I guess that is how you forge ahead and progress.

Hard-Core.
Reply
Hard-Core.
Reply
post #7 of 69
I'll be more excited for the Yosemite public beta. I'll install that..just can't install the developer ones on my main/work MB air. Anyone have a clue when that's coming out? "Summer" is pretty broad.
post #8 of 69
Originally Posted by aplnub View Post
You would think they would fix Mail.app before exiting to Yosemite.

 

And what exactly is broken? Don't bother saying IMAP.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #9 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

And what exactly is broken? Don't bother saying IMAP.

We are having to constantly quit Mail and reopen for our mail to fetch. I guess that falls under iMap.

Hard-Core.
Reply
Hard-Core.
Reply
post #10 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

And what exactly is broken? Don't bother saying IMAP.

 

"Mail has unexpectedly quit." Bla bla bla.

 

It happens at least twice a day for me, usually when trying to recall the main window. (this is Yosemite...) Of course I don't expect it to be perfect yet, and it's not too annoying, but the same issues and general bugs in Mail still remain so far...

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
post #11 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And what exactly is broken? Don't bother saying IMAP.

I know.... Just tell this to some light user irritated about his gmail not working.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, my opinion, man.
Reply
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, my opinion, man.
Reply
post #12 of 69
OK, I'll say it. It seems to be snappier. 1smile.gif

The old version slowing down has been a frustration, but my HD is overloaded and I've considered a cleanup to be needed. I'll see over the best few days how things to, but it does look faster.
Ken
Reply
Ken
Reply
post #13 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And what exactly is broken? Don't bother saying IMAP.
"And what exactly is broken [in an e-mail program]? Don't bother saying [the protocol needed to download e-mail]."

What the hell, dude?

Anyway, to answer your question, Mail.app in 10.9.3 often seemed to get stuck in a state where it doesn't detect new mail coming in. Quitting the app and restarting it was sometimes necessary to get it to notice that you'd gotten an e-mail, and otherwise it'd just happily claim there were no new messages. It was pretty irritating if you were waiting for an important e-mail and wondering why it hadn't come in yet, only to find out that it actually had, but Mail.app wasn't registering it. Whether 10.9.4 will fix this, only time will tell. The Yosemite e-mail client is reportedly a lot better.

(and please, don't bother going "Just use POP3!". This is 2014, not 1994.)
post #14 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

Has the slowness of the previous update been fixed?

 

Where did you get this nonsense anyway? What slowness? There was no ‘slowness’ to be fixed. I swear to God, what makes you think that because you have an unstable system everybody else does too? Complete baloney.

post #15 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonkoTheSane View Post


I know.... Just tell this to some light user irritated about his gmail not working.

 

You know, counting Google search hits doesn’t mean there’s real problem. What is it anyway about extrapolating individual issues into pandemic flaws that ‘everyone’ has? What is it about labeling those without the alleged issues as “one of the lucky ones.” 

post #16 of 69
Originally Posted by Durandal1707 View Post
What the hell, dude?

 

Because it isn't broken. There is nothing wrong with Mail and IMAP. It's Google's problem.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #17 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplnub View Post
 

You would think they would fix Mail.app before exiting to Yosemite. I think yearly updates are nice but it seems they leave some problems unresolved. I guess that is how you forge ahead and progress.

Apple does not work that way anymore.  They never fixed any of the problems with Lion, and instead they dumped it and moved forward with Mountain Lion.  At least current updates are free and they don't charge you again to fix their earlier mistakes.  They are dumping Mavericks and all its problems and moving forward with Yosemite.

post #18 of 69
I he
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

You know, counting Google search hits doesn’t mean there’s real problem. What is it anyway about extrapolating individual issues into pandemic flaws that ‘everyone’ has? What is it about labeling those without the alleged issues as “one of the lucky ones.” 

I hear you.
Going down that route I am sure that the vast majority of users don't even know about a feature that may/may not work. Does it mean it shouldn't be fixed? No. Does it justify pandemonium? No way.
OTOH I know a few people that have mostly self created problems by fiddling around and installing stuff that just don't work. Who was it again who said "it's my fault. But I know whom to blame".
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, my opinion, man.
Reply
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, my opinion, man.
Reply
post #19 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Because it isn't broken. There is nothing wrong with Mail and IMAP. It's Google's problem.

 

Mail worked perfectly with Mountain Lion and earlier, and they broke it with Mavericks, publicly admitting Mail did not work correctly.  Have you been living in a hole in the ground, or have you failed to pay attention to THREE patches to try and fix Mail?  All issued by Apple.  Funny that you claim Mavericks is perfect, yet you have posted many rants that iBooks did not work correctly.  Yet you attack anyone that has problems with Mail.

post #20 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Because it isn't broken. There is nothing wrong with Mail and IMAP. It's Google's problem.

No, not really.

 

Even if Google uses a non-standard implementation of IMAP, it's really up to Apple to write a version of their Mail application that will play nicely with one of the most popular mail services on the planet if they want their users to be satisfied.

 

Google should fix their IMAP implementation, however they show no interest in doing so. Therefore it falls on Apple's shoulders to keep users happy. Unfair? Yes. But that's life, sometimes there are inconsistencies between companies, and Apple really needs to show a little flexibility here.

 

Disclaimer: I own shares in both Google and Apple.

post #21 of 69
Originally Posted by mpantone View Post
Even if Google uses a non-standard implementation of IMAP...

 

... it is on THEM to propagate its use.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #22 of 69
10.9.4 is a vital update if you operate a new Mac Pro and use Premiere Pro. The two were incompatible for many users, self included, when attempting to render sequences using Open CL. The machine would crash frequently, create glitches and strange patterns in video. For weeks, angry Mac Pro users, self included, reached out to Apple, Adobe or other users looking for a fix. With 10.9.4, it appears the fix has arrived.

Thank you, Apple.

Tom
post #23 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpantone View Post
 
Even if Google uses a non-standard implementation of IMAP

Has anyone determined what is non-complient about Gmail IMAP? I don't use Mail on OS X so I have no first hand knowledge but apparently IMAP on Gmail works fine on iOS, Gnome RedHat, and Outlook on Windows. What other mail clients are encountering problems with Gmail other than Mail on OS X?

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #24 of 69

It appears that this update has fixed the dodgy bluetooth/wireless settings that were causing problems connecting to Wi-Fi after sleep (from a few sleep/wake cycles). This pleases me very much!

post #25 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ytsethunder View Post
 

It appears that this update has fixed the dodgy bluetooth/wireless settings that were causing problems connecting to Wi-Fi after sleep (from a few sleep/wake cycles). This pleases me very much!

Hope so. This has been bugging me for 18 months :devil:

Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Reply
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Reply
post #26 of 69

weird - I never had any troubles at all with resuming wifi or wake-from-sleep (2013 15" MBP)...

 

...what devices has trouble with this?

post #27 of 69

Mine is a 2013 13" MBA. It only started happening after Christmas, when I started using Bose SoundLink Mini bluetooth speakers. The issue was solved by deleting the bluetooth preferences - this obviously necessitated a repairing which caused the issue again.

 

FYI, the issue was that when the shell was opened after a sleep, the Wi-Fi wouldn't connect to the preferred network immediately. Sometimes waiting would work, but more often than not, I would have to turn the Wi-Fi off then on again in order for it to connect. A real pain which I hope has been sorted for good now.

post #28 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

 
You would think they would fix Mail.app before exiting to Yosemite. I think yearly updates are nice but it seems they leave some problems unresolved. I guess that is how you forge ahead and progress.
Apple does not work that way anymore.  They never fixed any of the problems with Lion, and instead they dumped it and moved forward with Mountain Lion.  At least current updates are free and they don't charge you again to fix their earlier mistakes.  They are dumping Mavericks and all its problems and moving forward with Yosemite.

Yes, you're absolutely correct. In fact, they deliberately concoct new problems just so as to annoy hillstones. 😴
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #29 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Because it isn't broken. There is nothing wrong with Mail and IMAP. It's Google's problem.
No, not really.

Even if Google uses a non-standard implementation of IMAP, it's really up to Apple to write a version of their Mail application that will play nicely with one of the most popular mail services on the planet if they want their users to be satisfied.

Google should fix their IMAP implementation, however they show no interest in doing so. Therefore it falls on Apple's shoulders to keep users happy. Unfair? Yes. But that's life, sometimes there are inconsistencies between companies, and Apple really needs to show a little flexibility here.

Disclaimer: I own shares in both Google and Apple.

If Google are so stupid as to use a non-standard implementation of IMAP, more fool them and their users.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #30 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

You would think they would fix Mail.app before exiting to Yosemite. I think yearly updates are nice but it seems they leave some problems unresolved. I guess that is how you forge ahead and progress.

Maybe you need your Mac fixing. Try Disk Warrior.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #31 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

No, not really.

Even if Google uses a non-standard implementation of IMAP, it's really up to Apple to write a version of their Mail application that will play nicely with one of the most popular mail services on the planet if they want their users to be satisfied.

Google should fix their IMAP implementation, however they show no interest in doing so. Therefore it falls on Apple's shoulders to keep users happy. Unfair? Yes. But that's life, sometimes there are inconsistencies between companies, and Apple really needs to show a little flexibility here.

Disclaimer: I own shares in both Google and Apple.

How do you spell 'naive'? Apple should give a shit about Google? Really? The company that ripped of iOS? Personally I'd be evil if I were Apple I'd deliberately screw with anything from Google, but that's just me.

Disclaimer :own as shit load of AAPL and no gargoyle
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #32 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

If Google are so stupid as to use a non-standard implementation of IMAP, more fool them and their users.

Well said.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #33 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Has anyone determined what is non-complient about Gmail IMAP? I don't use Mail on OS X so I have no first hand knowledge but apparently IMAP on Gmail works fine on iOS, Gnome RedHat, and Outlook on Windows. What other mail clients are encountering problems with Gmail other than Mail on OS X?

I am puzzled, why wouldn't you use Mail on OS X? As you post here so regularly surely it would behove you to have experience with Apple's own mail system.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #34 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Because it isn't broken. There is nothing wrong with Mail and IMAP. It's Google's problem.

Apple should simply stop supporting all things Google on OS X and iOS. How long do Apple have to pretend to care about Google? Is that too radical of me?
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #35 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Has anyone determined what is non-complient about Gmail IMAP? I don't use Mail on OS X so I have no first hand knowledge but apparently IMAP on Gmail works fine on iOS, Gnome RedHat, and Outlook on Windows. What other mail clients are encountering problems with Gmail other than Mail on OS X?

I am puzzled, why wouldn't you use Mail on OS X? As you post here so regularly surely it would behove you to have experience with Apple's own mail system.

I use Gmail in Chrome and Squirrel Mail in Linux, Gmail in iOS, me.com in iOS, iOS Yahoo, and  corporate email in Outlook through a VPN

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #36 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And what exactly is broken? Don't bother saying IMAP.
Why do you jump on anyone who claims that Apple's software isn't perfect?
post #37 of 69
imap has been broken for MANY months. It is not a GMAIL thing. It is imap. You have to constantly quit and restart mail. It happens for gmail and it happens for two other imap accounts.
post #38 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Because it isn't broken. There is nothing wrong with Mail and IMAP. It's Google's problem.

  WRONG.  It is not gmail. it is an IMAP problem because I have two other IMAP accounts that constantly stop showing new mail until I stop the app and restart it.    Stick to what you know dude!!!!!

post #39 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Because it isn't broken. There is nothing wrong with Mail and IMAP. It's Google's problem.
Then how come I've had it happen with my bog-standard Courier IMAP server?
post #40 of 69

The update fixes a problem with Compressor that I found months ago.  Apple even mailed me this morning to say that it was a bug at the OS level and had been fixed in the update.  

Before the update, there were noise artifacts added to movies created in Compressor using an image sequence and attaching an audio file; now fixed!  Saves a bit of time not having to perform a work-around.

 

 

 

Regarding Mail, I don't know yet if the update has fixed the problem I've had for a long time: Mail sometimes won't quit.  I have to force quit it.  Hopefully...

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X

Gear mentioned in this thread:

AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases OS X Mavericks 10.9.4 with fixes for Wi-Fi, wake from sleep