or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple debuts $50 security lock adapter for redesigned late-2013 Mac Pro
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple debuts $50 security lock adapter for redesigned late-2013 Mac Pro

post #1 of 40
Thread Starter 
Apple on Tuesday introduced the first official hardware security adapter specifically designed for the late-2013 Mac Pro, offering owners basic protection against theft and tampering.




According to Apple's description of the $50 Mac Pro Security Lock Adapter, the accessory clamps on to the machine without need for special tools and is compatible with most third-party Kensington locks or similar products. A lock is not included in the package.

The adapter latches on to the Mac Pro's pedestal and aluminum case, granting access to all ports and the power cord while preventing the case from being opened. In essence, the adapter serves as a specialized anchor point to which users can attach a third-party lock of their choosing.

Since Apple opted to not build a security mechanism or lock attachment point into the Mac Pro's sleek chassis, third-party accessory makers jumped in with their own designs, including a few that required case modifications. Apple notes its in-house design is completely temporary and can be installed and removed without damaging the Mac Pro's highly polished aluminum case.

Apple's $50 Mac Pro Security Lock Adapter is available from the Online Apple Store and will be showing up at brick-and-mortar outlets soon.
post #2 of 40
Only its mother would not call that "ugly!"
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #3 of 40

$50 for a little piece of metal... come on Apple, really. I wonder how long it will take before the Chinese knock-offs start.

post #4 of 40

AGREED!

 

$50 for a "feature" that should have been part of the machine's design from the start. Inexcusable!

post #5 of 40
Quote:
 Since Apple did build a security mechanism or lock attachment point into the Mac Pro's sleek chassis, third-party accessory makers jumped in with their own designs

 

I assume you meant:  did "_not_" build a ... ?

 

Proofreading is important.

post #6 of 40

Why not just having:

 

  1. Touch ID, to prevent someone opening the case?
  2. Find my Mac, to prevent someone stealing your Mac?
post #7 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post
 

 

I assume you meant:  did "_not_" build a ... ?

 

Proofreading is important.

 

 

Time, time … perhaps he/she didn’t have it.

Perhaps.

post #8 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashMyTstDummy View Post

$50 for a little piece of metal... come on Apple, really. I wonder how long it will take before the Chinese knock-offs start.

Looks like there's a 3rd party bracket already:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mac-Locks-CL12MPL-Security-Bracket-/271502009898

It's more expensive but at least it includes the cable. Given that it's securing a $3000+ machine, a $50 cost is a relatively small investment and they'll base the price on potential sales. The target audience is the group that both owns Mac Pros and needs to secure them. This will be a small fraction of 100,000 users every quarter.

A simpler method might be to feed a metal wire through the vent holes at the base:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Laptop-Metal-Chain-Notebook-Lock-Password-Lock-Wire-/390684234716

It might need thinner metal to do that and it wouldn't stop the lid coming off but it's cheaper.
post #9 of 40
A close up would've made this article much better.

"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
post #10 of 40
Couldn't they have made it black? Looks like security was an oversight.
post #11 of 40
The new Retina MBPs don't have a Kensington slot either. I certainly don't understand why they wouldn't have included this from the start, especially on the expensive and easily totable Mac Pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr O View Post

Why not just having:
  1. Touch ID, to prevent someone opening the case?
  2. Find my Mac, to prevent someone stealing your Mac?

1) You still need to be able to open the case without power, which is how I assume most will be opening their case anyway.

2) It has Find My Mac, but it doesn't prevent anyone from stealing. At best I could it could be a mild deterrent but without a battery, GPS or cellular unplugging it would mean that the Find My Mac wouldn't work anyway.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #12 of 40
Touch ID would be a logical addition to the next iteration.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #13 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Looks like there's a 3rd party bracket already:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mac-Locks-CL12MPL-Security-Bracket-/271502009898

It's more expensive but at least it includes the cable...

1) Apple's offer seems slightly less expensive with the cable you also posted.

2) I doubt it will happen since the audience is so small (and the cost potentially high), but I'd like to see a strength comparison.The bracket you posted looks good but how strong is the metal and how secure is it. Also, doesn't the Kensington lock going in sideways off the back leave the pin mechanism exposed on the left side? Is that a vulnerability to this system? My feeling is that it is and Mac Locks only shows the one image.


"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #14 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post
 

I'm amazed that there aren't more Apple apologists posting.  I mean, sure, $50 for something that should have been part of the design to start with is inexcusable, but there's usually lots of support for every other inexcusable thing Apple does on here.


How is this "inexcusable"? It's not like Apple is charging $500 for a copy of OS X.

 

The lock is a bit pricey, but it's also a custom solution being provided to a limited market, which means low production numbers. And, as it has been shown, there are already alternatives.

 

Cheaper than a Smart Case, at any rate.

post #15 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

And, as it has been shown, there are already alternatives.

And at least one alternative is more expensive than Apple's offering.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #16 of 40

What do you attach the other end of that skinny cable to? 

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #17 of 40

Sometimes I criticize Apple, but in this thread I am definitely going to be an Apple "apologist".

 

LOL@ those people who are complaining about a $50 security lock in this thread. I doubt that those people who are complaining even own any new Mac Pros. And if an owner of a new Mac Pro is interested in securing their machine for whatever purpose, then $50 is peanuts. People who have an Android mentality do not buy any Mac Pros.

 

It's like people who complain that genuine, original Apple power supplies and cables are too expensive.

 

Ok fine, you cheapskate, go ahead and use a knock off power supply that you found on ebay or someplace else for less money. Good job! You are a wise person indeed, you managed to save a couple of dollars and that's what's important isn't it?, even if you just purchased a dangerous and poorly made counterfeit charger.

 

When we read about a family member of yours that just got electrocuted when charging their device, then hopefully the couple of dollars that you saved will have been worth it.:lol: 


Edited by Apple ][ - 7/2/14 at 8:34am
post #18 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post
 

I'm amazed that there aren't more Apple apologists posting.  I mean, sure, $50 for something that should have been part of the design to start with is inexcusable, but there's usually lots of support for every other inexcusable thing Apple does on here.

 

Talk about the need to whine and sensationalize. "Inexcusable"? Really? Do you even know what that word means? First of all, not everyone needs a damn security lock, a ton of people probably have their Mac Pro at home- so why include it as part of the core design? I haven't heard a blip about this issue till I read this article, so obviously it wasnt some massive complaint by a ton of people- just vocal whiners like you. I never saw a complaint about it in ANY of the reviews I read. So now, people have another option that they did not have before today, and you take that as an opportunity to bitch and whine further. THAT is what I call inexcusable trolling, not the fact that Apple didn't include a piece of metal that most people dont need, or didnt compromise the initial design for a niche requirement. I've been using Macs for more than 15 years and not once have I used a security cable. The VAST majority are in the same boat. 

 

I bet you if we ran through the list of all the "inexcusable" things that Apple has done over the years according to people like you (ie. streamlining both hardware and software, dropping obsolete tech), they are all things that have contributed to the success of the company. 

 

Lets take a look at a couple other of your recent posts:

 

Quote:
 Exactly.  Stupidity for its own sake.  Only Apple would even consider doing something that damn stupid. The only reason I think there's a good chance they won't is that fortunately they're about to be forced to put a micro USB jack on all of their phones in Europe instead of the proprietary Lightning connector.  

 

So, you truly believe Apple is one of the stupidest companies on the planet, yet you decide to come post here. Oh, and the next statement shows the extent of your utter ignorance- no, Apple is not going to be forced to put a micro usb port on their phones- they simply will include an adapter, which fits the requirement. Micro USB does not have half the features that lightning does.

 

Quote:
 So, iDisk is back.  About time.   Of course, they're idiots for killing it in the first place, and I'm probably not going to use it, I've already got other solutions in place at this point.

 

There we go, again, the deep ignorance you swim in always leads you to proclaim Apple's extreme idiocy. You should apply to work at the company, to save them from their utter and complete ineptitude. They'd be so lucky to have you.

 

Quote:
 I'm only running it because Apple didn't release 6.1.6 for the iPhone 4.    iOS 6 is a MUCH better operating system, 7 is horribly ugly and has major user interface problems.   I'm hoping 8 is better.

 

Oh look, you think Apple's latest iOS is also complete and utter trash. What a shock!

 

Quote:
 Ok, I'll go ahead and say it.   Spending 3 billion dollars on a company that has overpriced, really crappy headphones and speakers and a crappy streaming audio service is flat out stupid.    Apple made a mistake.   

 

Again, you have no other recourse of logic except Apple's "stupidity". Incredible how the company has survived so long (thats an understatement) while making stupid decisions left and right. Because clearly, there was no reasoning behind the buy-out at all, it was just "stupid". 

 

Quote:
  It's certainly better than what you get with Apple. Samsung - makes an attempt to make devices water resistant. Apple - puts liquid contact indicators on devices so they can void your warranty.

 

Evangelizing Samsung while bashing Apple- what a shock. You DO realize that the water resistance is a big marketing bullet point for Samsung (because the S5 truly has nothing else, and widely considered a disappointment) and that they didn't make that design choice because they love you so much, right? No, you don't. 

 

Quote:
 So, here's the problem with that:  Apple was here before. Back in the early '80s, Apple had damn close to 50% marketshare in microcomputers.  But this funny thing happened, prices for other computers started dropping.  Apple said "that's ok, we'll take the high end" and kept prices high.

 

"It's the 90s all over again"- predicting doom for Apple using a tired and shitty analogy, how shocking.

 

Quote:
 Actually, most people do care a bit, they're not happy with Apple for taking 30%. And they shouldn't be, it's highway robbery.  Apple does literally nothing, and takes 30%.  I know many of you are complete Apple fanbois, but try to get some objective concept of what's going on here.  First Apple releases a closed platform that we have to hack to be able to run so we can run software on our own devices without Apple's approval.  Then Apple comes out with this app store...

 

Ah, there we go- the "iOS is shit because it isn't open" post. Was waiting for that one. Amazing how iOS has MUCH more developer support than another platform with much higher marketshare, and has paid out close to 5X more to developers. "Highway robbery" indeed. The thing is, if you wanted to make sure you didnt make a complete fool out of yourself, you would have double-checked what Google takes from the playstore, you know, to make sure it wasnt the EXACT SAME percentage that Apple takes (it is). Of course you did not, because being informed is not something that concerns you when making all your useless statements. And Apple fanbois? Really? How old are you? Oh right, you're an "IT professional" as you keep reminding us. Yeah, Apple clearly should have taken your route of making iOS a malware infested, insecure shithole, just so you can side-load that porn-app you want to jack off too. Because 1,000,000+ apps and access to every website in the world through their browser is clearly not enough for you. 

 

Also, you don't think that Apple's success in the enterprise and education, and Android utter failure in both of these markets has ANYTHING to do with the security of the platforms, do you? No of course you don't- because you don't think. 

Quote:
 Not believing it.  Those icons look WAY too good.    Apple's been crapping it up so much lately that there's no way they're going to use icons that look that nice.

 

Apple "crapping it up so much lately".

 

Quote:
 We had no choice.  The security hole forced it.   If 6.1.6 were available on my devices, you'd better believe I'd upgrade from 7 to 6 in a heartbeat.   7 is incredibly ugly, and has less functionality.  It's the first release of iOS that's making me seriously consider Android for my next phone.

 

"Considering Android?" What a shocker. The tired, shitty line trolls use when they try to pretend they like Apple but the company is disappointing them. 

 

I can go on and on. Your posts make it clear that you have absolutely no level-headedness about any aspect pertaining to Apple, and your opinions are not colored with a shred of common sense or facts. What I don't get is how trolls like you spend so much of their time posting about a company and products they hate so much. Everyone needs a hobby I guess, but yours is particularly pathetic. And so many of these self-titled "IT professionals" have their head shoved far, far up their asses. Buy your magical Android device, instead of fantasizing about it, so you can spare us from more of your utter ignorance. I hope you don't actually have paying clients, because you seem to be utterly deluded about every facet of technology and software.

post #19 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

What do you attach the other end of that skinny cable to? 

This is the most common type of cable, the loop, but note this is a ridiculous demo as the cable could easily be removed from the table without breaking anything. That said, I've done that with my MBP knowing that it could be easily removed but if I was in a public place and needed to use the bathroom for a minute it's highly unlikely a thief would bother after seeing the lock and cable.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #20 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr O View Post
 

Why not just having:

 

  1. Touch ID, to prevent someone opening the case?
  2. Find my Mac, to prevent someone stealing your Mac?

How the hell does Find my Mac  "prevent" someone from stealing your Mac?

post #21 of 40

Really shocking to see so many here who have obviously never seen computer security cables, which have been around for decades. (including for every Mac)

post #22 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post
 

Really shocking to see so many here who have obviously never seen computer security cables, which have been around for decades. (including for every Mac)

Here is my homemade security solution. Bolted to the desk. Of course you wouldn't want to do this to fine furniture, but...

 

I did the same for my Cinema Display.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #23 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Only its mother would not call that "ugly!"

 

what do you call a bike lock? cuz they aint pretty.

post #24 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr O View Post
 

Why not just having:

 

  1. Touch ID, to prevent someone opening the case?
  2. Find my Mac, to prevent someone stealing your Mac?

 

are you serious? neither of those will stop even a causal thief.

 

and guess what happens if you wrap a mobile device w/ a tinfoil (or unplug a MP) you cant locate it on Find My Mac. doh... try again, son.


Edited by NolaMacGuy - 7/2/14 at 11:39am
post #25 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashMyTstDummy View Post
 

$50 for a little piece of metal... come on Apple, really. I wonder how long it will take before the Chinese knock-offs start.

 

funny, $50 is $15 cheaper than the free market solutions:

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mac-Locks-CL12MPL-Security-Bracket-/271502009898

 

...do you complain about those, too? nope. and im guessing you dont even have  MP, either.

post #26 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post
 

 

funny, $50 is $15 cheaper than the free market solutions:

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mac-Locks-CL12MPL-Security-Bracket-/271502009898

 

...do you complain about those, too? nope. and im guessing you dont even have  MP, either.

 

Dont forget the $30 shipping.. so more like $100. The bitching here is mind-numbing. 

post #27 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post
 

 

funny, $50 is $15 cheaper than the free market solutions:

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mac-Locks-CL12MPL-Security-Bracket-/271502009898

 

...do you complain about those, too? nope. and im guessing you dont even have  MP, either.

 

Do I own a Mac Pro, No. Did I look at other products, No.

 

Would this lock be built well, fit perfectly and work as specified, Yes it would it is made by Apple. But I still think it is overpriced. BTW, the example you showed includes a cable, Apples lock does not, so you still need to add the cost of a cable to this, which is about $50 again.

 

I'm happy to pay for Apple cables and chargers, to me they have value, but all this lock does is clamp onto the MP so you can attach a cable to it and the MP can't be opened. I would pay $35 but $50 is a bit much.

 

On a side note, does anyone know what this is made of? I suspect machined aluminium but Liquid metal would be cool.

post #28 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post
 

 

I assume you meant:  did "_not_" build a ... ?

 

Proofreading is important.

 

I imagine you'd really disapprove of my published book, or even the video which shamelessly promotes it.

 

 

 

Still, it's important to remember that some people are better with creative concepts. Others excel in areas of compliance and conformity such as grammar and spelling.

 

Being able to distinguish the two, and also lead to people's strengths is more important than pointing out a misspelling.  Grammah Trainin' can occur at any time, provided it's outside work; but conformance personality types typically lack the courtesy to point out when the Grammah is correct.

post #29 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashMyTstDummy View Post
 

 

Do I own a Mac Pro, No. Did I look at other products, No.

 

 

Your really missing out on the entire Apple Experience.  Most Apple owners know that it's not in owning Apple devices, but it's the fun of arguing at the Apple Genius Bar.

 

I'd suggest picking up an iPhone, iPad, and also an AppleTV.   Queue in line at least once per-week for a confirmed check-in, or as time permits.  Bring the device, even if there's nothing wrong with it.

 

Next, prepare to become entertained with what incredible and fanciful things the Genius has to say is wrong with it in order to persuade you to purchase something to replace it.  Genuses can be very inventive!

post #30 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
 

 

I imagine you'd really disapprove of my published book, or even the video which shamelessly promotes it.

 

 

 

Still, it's important to remember that some people are better with creative concepts. Others excel in areas of compliance and conformity such as grammar and spelling.

 

Being able to distinguish the two, and also lead to people's strengths is more important than pointing out a misspelling.  Grammah Trainin' can occur at any time, provided it's outside work; but conformance personality types typically lack the courtesy to point out when the Grammah is correct.

 

On the contrary, that video was awesome! I'm normally not a fan of distasteful language, but that video was very entertaining and enlightening. It's a good reminder that we only live once and need to lighten up.

 

I'm not sure why my pointing out AI's typo has created such a stir. You're not the first one to respond to my comment. I'm uncertain why people even felt the need to respond. Small details _do_ matter. A quick re-read of the article before posting it would've caught the innocent error. It has since been corrected.

post #31 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post
 


How is this "inexcusable"?

 

I'm confused why this wasn't build "into" the Mac Pro case... it's a "hole" that a cable attaches to. To charge $50 after the fact for this does seem to be a bit of a slap in the face. That was my point. Maybe I don't fully understand how this add-on security cable attachment truly adds value. I accept that. :)

post #32 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

I'm confused why this wasn't build "into" the Mac Pro case... it's a "hole" that a cable attaches to. To charge $50 after the fact for this does seem to be a bit of a slap in the face. That was my point. Maybe I don't fully understand how this add-on security cable attachment truly adds value. I accept that. 1smile.gif

It's not really a hole but a clamp that holds the lid shut with a hole in it. They could perhaps have put the hole where the ports are but the motherboard and power supply are there. Hardly anyone is going to need this so it doesn't make sense to change the design for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone 
Here is my homemade security solution. Bolted to the desk.

It would be funny to watch CCTV of someone even trying to steal an old Mac Pro.
post #33 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post
 

 

Talk about the need to whine and sensationalize. "Inexcusable"? Really? Do you even know what that word means? First of all, not everyone needs a damn security lock, a ton of people probably have their Mac Pro at home- so why include it as part of the core design? I haven't heard a blip about this issue till I read this article, so obviously it wasnt some massive complaint by a ton of people- just vocal whiners like you. I never saw a complaint about it in ANY of the reviews I read. So now, people have another option that they did not have before today, and you take that as an opportunity to bitch and whine further. THAT is what I call inexcusable trolling, not the fact that Apple didn't include a piece of metal that most people dont need, or didnt compromise the initial design for a niche requirement. I've been using Macs for more than 15 years and not once have I used a security cable. The VAST majority are in the same boat. 

 

I bet you if we ran through the list of all the "inexcusable" things that Apple has done over the years according to people like you (ie. streamlining both hardware and software, dropping obsolete tech), they are all things that have contributed to the success of the company. 

 

Lets take a look at a couple other of your recent posts:

 

 

So, you truly believe Apple is one of the stupidest companies on the planet, yet you decide to come post here. Oh, and the next statement shows the extent of your utter ignorance- no, Apple is not going to be forced to put a micro usb port on their phones- they simply will include an adapter, which fits the requirement. Micro USB does not have half the features that lightning does.

 

 

There we go, again, the deep ignorance you swim in always leads you to proclaim Apple's extreme idiocy. You should apply to work at the company, to save them from their utter and complete ineptitude. They'd be so lucky to have you.

 

 

Oh look, you think Apple's latest iOS is also complete and utter trash. What a shock!

 

 

Again, you have no other recourse of logic except Apple's "stupidity". Incredible how the company has survived so long (thats an understatement) while making stupid decisions left and right. Because clearly, there was no reasoning behind the buy-out at all, it was just "stupid". 

 

 

Evangelizing Samsung while bashing Apple- what a shock. You DO realize that the water resistance is a big marketing bullet point for Samsung (because the S5 truly has nothing else, and widely considered a disappointment) and that they didn't make that design choice because they love you so much, right? No, you don't. 

 

 

"It's the 90s all over again"- predicting doom for Apple using a tired and shitty analogy, how shocking.

 

 

Ah, there we go- the "iOS is shit because it isn't open" post. Was waiting for that one. Amazing how iOS has MUCH more developer support than another platform with much higher marketshare, and has paid out close to 5X more to developers. "Highway robbery" indeed. The thing is, if you wanted to make sure you didnt make a complete fool out of yourself, you would have double-checked what Google takes from the playstore, you know, to make sure it wasnt the EXACT SAME percentage that Apple takes (it is). Of course you did not, because being informed is not something that concerns you when making all your useless statements. And Apple fanbois? Really? How old are you? Oh right, you're an "IT professional" as you keep reminding us. Yeah, Apple clearly should have taken your route of making iOS a malware infested, insecure shithole, just so you can side-load that porn-app you want to jack off too. Because 1,000,000+ apps and access to every website in the world through their browser is clearly not enough for you. 

 

Also, you don't think that Apple's success in the enterprise and education, and Android utter failure in both of these markets has ANYTHING to do with the security of the platforms, do you? No of course you don't- because you don't think. 

 

Apple "crapping it up so much lately".

 

 

"Considering Android?" What a shocker. The tired, shitty line trolls use when they try to pretend they like Apple but the company is disappointing them. 

 

I can go on and on. Your posts make it clear that you have absolutely no level-headedness about any aspect pertaining to Apple, and your opinions are not colored with a shred of common sense or facts. What I don't get is how trolls like you spend so much of their time posting about a company and products they hate so much. Everyone needs a hobby I guess, but yours is particularly pathetic. And so many of these self-titled "IT professionals" have their head shoved far, far up their asses. Buy your magical Android device, instead of fantasizing about it, so you can spare us from more of your utter ignorance. I hope you don't actually have paying clients, because you seem to be utterly deluded about every facet of technology and software.

 

I'm not a troll, and I AM Apple tech.  I've owned Apple products since 1982, I make a living working on Apple products. 

 

I see what Apple does right, and I love it.  But I can see when Apple fucks up, and I'm willing to point it out.  And for the last few years, Apple has been fucking up on a pretty damn regular basis.  You want lack of level-headedness?  Look in a mirror.  Apple isn't going to give you a discount because you're sucking up to them.

 

And no, it's not hurting their bottom line.  What choice do we have?  Micro$loth?  No, we're stuck with Apple's bad decisions, because even when they screw us over with things like dropping Rosetta or making the ugliest Apple OS in history, what's left is still better than anything else out there.

 

I'm now without any server-class hardware available new.  The XServe is gone, and now the Mac Pro is gone.  The Mac mini, which Apple suggests is a server, is damn near two years old at this point, and it, like everything else in Apple's lineup but the silly round Mac Pro trashcan is laptop-class, not server-class hardware.  And the new Mac Pro is hardly a server - I don't need graphics cards, I need processor and storage.  Why can't I have 128GB RAM, dual 16-core CPUs, and 32+TB internal disk as an option?  That's what I really need.  I bet there are some video production houses that would love to have that too, plus the GPUs.

 

But no, Apple gives us ever-thinner (and thus ever-crappier) devices.  They give us higher-resolution screens, which are nice, and lower-resolution icons, which are stupid and ugly.

 

The lack of a security slot on a $3k+ computer is stupid.  This is, ostensibly, a computer aimed at the professional market, and it's too expensive to be a home computer.  Virtually all of these would benefit from the ability to be locked to a surface.  Charging an extra $50 for a feature that should have been built in IS inexcusable.  I would urge everyone in the situation of needing this to get the third-party solution.

post #34 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone 
Here is my homemade security solution. Bolted to the desk.

It would be funny to watch CCTV of someone even trying to steal an old Mac Pro.

Well, it was only considered old 6 months ago. At the time it was bolted to the desk, it was more than a $10K investment. Even now, with a 30" Cinema, also bolted, I get lots of amazement from visiting delivery people. Thieves are stupid. They don't know what is new or what is old. Furthermore, that Mac Pro is still really valuable to us so I'm glad it is secured. We have so many maintenance workers, delivery people and housekeepers in the office after hours, I just feel better having the Macs bolted to the desks.

 

In Hollywood there are lots of 3D effects studios that have been purposely disguised as run down boarded up businesses complete with junk cars in the parking lot just to deter break ins. It doesn't matter if the equipment is slightly outdated as long as it is performing an important function. If it looks expensive, it will be perceived as valuable by crack addicts.

 

A few years ago, in a very upscale area of Irvine, we had someone carefully dismantle a rear maintenance door using special tools and skills to enter and steal a couple cheap Dells before the Police arrived after the alarm went off.


Edited by mstone - 7/4/14 at 7:05pm

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #35 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

^ post

For someone in IT you sure don't understand how tech works and why it works the way it does. And with over 30 years of using Apple products I'm amazed yo don't understand how this company works and designs things.

And calling someone an idiot comes across as you not being a nice person, but I could be wrong on that part.
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
post #36 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

A few years ago, in a very upscale area of Irvine, we had someone carefully dismantle a rear maintenance door using special tools and skills to enter and steal a couple cheap Dells before the Police arrived after the alarm went off.

Dells get stolen? Wow, even more amazing than some posts on a random website!
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
post #37 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:
It would be funny to watch CCTV of someone even trying to steal an old Mac Pro.
Well, it was only considered old 6 months ago. Thieves are stupid. They don't know what is new or what is old.

I meant it would be funny because it's so heavy. It would be like trying to steal a photocopier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkVader 
the new Mac Pro is hardly a server - I don't need graphics cards, I need processor and storage. Why can't I have 128GB RAM, dual 16-core CPUs, and 32+TB internal disk as an option?

I notice the hardware requirements keep going up. You can actually get 128GB RAM for the new Mac Pro, you need to change that requirement to 256GB. Dual 16-core CPUs in one machine isn't necessary and Intel only seems to have 15-core chips but the CPU in the Mac Pro is removable so if you were so inclined, you could put in this $6841 15-core processor:

http://ark.intel.com/products/75258/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E7-8890-v2-37_5M-Cache-2_80-GHz

32+TB internal wasn't possible in the old Mac Pro nor the XServe and servers work best if they are separate so the processing hardware can be upgraded without affecting the storage. You can simply attach a 32TB drive with a Thunderbolt 2 cable:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/HE155VC/A/promise-pegasus2-r8-32tb-8-by-4tb-thunderbolt-2-raid-system?

Pretty fast read/write speeds ~900MB/s:

http://www.studiodaily.com/2014/02/review-promise-technology-pegasus2-r8-raid/

It's still not designed as a server but the reason they stopped making a server was because nobody was buying them. There's a marketshare estimate here:

http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/2671315

HP at the top spot sells 721,000 units in a quarter making $3.8b revenue. That's not bad revenue-wise as that's over $5k per server but what percentage is Apple going to get? Right now Apple makes close to $60b revenue per quarter. How would they make an impact in the server space? This is an area that places no value on design because it's all tech guys and the spec requirements never end. If it didn't have SAS ports or PCI slots server guys would just say until it does, no purchase. Apple doesn't do things that way, if people don't buy what they want to sell, they stop selling.
post #38 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr O View Post

 
Why not just having:
  1. Touch ID, to prevent someone opening the case?
  2. Find my Mac, to prevent someone stealing your Mac?

are you serious? neither of those will stop even a causal thief.

and guess what happens if you wrap a mobile device w/ a tinfoil (or unplug a MP) you cant locate it on Find My Mac. doh... try again, son.

Touch ID has already significantly reduced iPhone thefts, so you're wrong.
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Reply
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Reply
post #39 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

 

I assume you meant:  did "_not_" build a ... ?

Proofreading is important.

I imagine you'd really disapprove of my published book, or even the video which shamelessly promotes it.



Still, it's important to remember that some people are better with creative concepts. Others excel in areas of compliance and conformity such as grammar and spelling.

Being able to distinguish the two, and also lead to people's strengths is more important than pointing out a misspelling.  Grammah Trainin' can occur at any time, provided it's outside work; but conformance personality types typically lack the courtesy to point out when the Grammah is correct.

So that's a polite way of saying that proof reading isn't important.

Wrong; it isn't.
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Reply
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Reply
post #40 of 40
We came up with the mac pro lock when the Mac Pro first came out. All it required was a hole strategically placed in the right spot.

http://macprolock.com

Our kit to swap out the Apple enclosure latch includes a cable lock for $49 and we do offer discounts for quantity and educational institutions. We can also key alike for those needing more than one cable lock.

In addition to this product we have been working on a new table mount which would secure the Mac Pro to a table. The cable itself is quite easy to cut or maneuver free from whatever the cable is looped around.

Please sign-up to our newsletter for release information. Thanks!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple debuts $50 security lock adapter for redesigned late-2013 Mac Pro