or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft rumored to debut platform-agnostic 'smart wristband' in Q4 with focus on fitness

Microsoft rumored to debut platform-agnostic 'smart wristband' in Q4 with focus on fitness

post #1 of 38
According to a rumor, Microsoft's expected foray into the burgeoning wearables market will be an activity-minded wristband-style device that works with all major mobile platforms including Windows Phone, Google's Android and Apple's iOS.

Microsoft's rumored wristband is said to resemble Samsung's Gear Fit pictured above. | Source: Samsung

As the wearables market heats up, big-name tech companies like Samsung and Motorola are getting into the game with early entries running Google's Android Wear mobile platform.

Citing sources familiar with the Redmond, Wash. company's plans, WinSupersite's Paul Thurrott reports Microsoft is not looking to release a wristwatch like other tech players, but a wristband instead. Perhaps the most notable feature, however, is that the device will be compatible with all three major mobile operating systems.

"From a differentiation standpoint, Microsoft's wearable will do something that no other wearable platform does. It will work with everything and not just the device maker's smart phone platform," Thurrott writes. "Where Samsung wearables only work with Samsung phones, Android Wear devices only work with modern Android devices, and Apple's rumored iWatch will obviously only work with iPhone, Microsoft will take a different approach. It will work with Android, iPhone and Windows Phone."

Microsoft is said to be focusing on fitness with its as-yet-unannounced smart device. Sensors will reportedly operate throughout the day to track steps taken and calories burned, while more advanced components can take heart rate readings. All data is pushed to a nearby smartphone and deconstructed using Microsoft software, possibilities being Bing Health & Fitness and Healthvault. The device is also thought to support third-party apps as well.

On the design side, sources say Microsoft chose to go with a wristband design akin to Samsung's Gear Fit device, with notifications and other alerts pushed from a handset and displayed onscreen.

Pricing and availability are not yet set in stone, nor is branding, though Thurrott has been hearing rumblings of a release in quarter four.

Rumors of a Microsoft smartwatch first surface in April 2013, when sources at upstream suppliers claimed the company was working on a touch-enabled "watch-style" device.

The software giant previously dabbled in wearable tech with its Smart Personal Object Technology (SPOT) platform, which was run in partnership with watchmakers like Suunto, Fossil and Swatch. The program launched in 2004 and slowly added a wider range of connected electronics, including GPS units, that received weather, traffic and other data sent from MSN Direct servers over FM radio broadcasts for a $59 per year fee. SPOT died in 2008.
post #2 of 38
The WristSurfaceZune KIN edition.

Given that MS axed the Surface Mini and focused on professionals, why bring out another consumer device?

Too many Apple products to list...Long on AAPL, so take what I say with a bucket of salt.

You are only relevant...if your customers love you.

Too many Apple products to list...Long on AAPL, so take what I say with a bucket of salt.

post #3 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Given that MS axed the Surface Mini and focused on professionals, why bring out another consumer device?

I wasn't aware that they had announced, or released a Surface Mini, how did they managed to axe it?
post #4 of 38
*Snore*

Not too excited about any Microsoft hardware.
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
post #5 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

I wasn't aware that they had announced, or released a Surface Mini, how did they managed to axe it?

The manual for the SP3 mentioned it in several locations. http://www.pcworld.com/article/2365846/oops-surface-pro-3-manual-confirms-surface-minis-existence.html

post #6 of 38

Hopefully it will run "full Windows 8." Because that solves everything.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #7 of 38

Also-ran.

post #8 of 38

It seems to me like every time Apple is rumored to come out with something brand new, Samsung or MS shortly thereafter have rumors of their hardware foray of similar regard. Apple should just make something up as a leak and see if MS or Samsung then copy it immediately just to embarrass them. Granted it is impossible to know who thought up what first, but still, it really does appear that way.

post #9 of 38
Paul Thurott is the Jim Dalrymple of Microsoft, this will almost certainly happen.

The challenge is that devices designed specifically for a particular ecosystem will likely provide significantly more functionality than a third party device.
post #10 of 38
Quote:

The manual for the SP3 mentioned it in several locations. http://www.pcworld.com/article/2365846/oops-surface-pro-3-manual-confirms-surface-minis-existence.html

A reference in a document doesn't mean they have axed it
post #11 of 38
Quote:

A reference in a document doesn't mean they have axed it

Reputable sources, including Paul Thurott, said it was originally planned to be announced at the event with the SP3, but Natella cancelled it at the last minute as it didn't bring anything new to the table. The 8" game is well covered by MS's hardware partners.

post #12 of 38
Google, Samsung, and now Microsoft jumping the shark with wearables. Hope Apple won't follow suit.
post #13 of 38
Quote:

Reputable sources, including Paul Thurott, said it was originally planned to be announced at the event with the SP3, but Natella cancelled it at the last minute as it didn't bring anything new to the table. The 8" game is well covered by MS's hardware partners.

A reputable source is the company themselves, no matter who you are talking about, you can guarantee information from these third party people. For all you know they may be waiting on the touch version of Office.
post #14 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandra View Post

Google, Samsung, and now Microsoft jumping the shark with wearables. Hope Apple won't follow suit.

I have reliable sources that indicate that the newest device from Apple will be something to watch.
post #15 of 38
Quote:
According to a rumor, Microsoft's expected foray into the burgeoning wearables market...

I gotta call a Montoya on this one: I do not think that means what you think it means.
post #16 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Perhaps the most notable feature, however, is that the device will be compatible with all three major mobile operating systems.

Doesn't Windows have 2-3% marketshare? I guess that makes it a major OS.

post #17 of 38
I can't wait to see all the versions that are going to come out of this...

MS TimeWatch, basic edition
MS TimeWatch, professional edition
MS TimeWatch 360
MS TimeWatch 8.1, multi-lingual patch
MS TimeWatch 360 with OneDrive and Skype connectivity

and then...

McAfee Anti-virus for MS TimeWatch
SharePoint for MS TimeWatch
.NET framework 5.1 for MS TimeWatch

... **yawn**
post #18 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Hopefully it will run "full Windows 8." Because that solves everything.

And if you can't run a full version of office on it, I'll be very disappointed. This is a productivity device, right?
Edited by TheUnfetteredMind - 7/2/14 at 8:47pm
post #19 of 38
Doesnt look compelling and you look stupid wearing it...
post #20 of 38
So which one of the three version of windows 9 will it run? Or will they make a 4th skin?
post #21 of 38

I'm sure it will be of the highest quality with 48 hour battery life.

post #22 of 38
Will it come with Office installed?
post #23 of 38

I think the watch in the picture would be more useful if the face was turned 90º so that it is parallel to the arm and flat on the wrist.

Cubist
Cubist
post #24 of 38
Quote:

Quote:

The Surface Mini was axed in the womb... only references to it were included in printed materials and a bloody coat hanger was seen out behind the headquarters.

Microsoft will bring out another consumer device... "Because we can." It doesn't have to make money and will come with a full-sized detachable keyboard. The slogan will be something along the line, "Why buy a laptop, a tablet, a phone and a wrist wrap when you only need to buy three of the four."
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #25 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSteelers View Post

Will it come with Office installed?

Yes, but only after they get the Office edition for Android sort of working first.... (no fooling)
post #26 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I'm sure it will be of the highest quality with 48 hour battery life.

You read that wrong... it's 4 to 8 hour battery life due to the on-board fan most likely...either than or suffer second-degree burns that will look remarkable like the old Zune logo.
post #27 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by bro2ma View Post

So which one of the three version of windows 9 will it run? Or will they make a 4th skin?

It will be released in Windows 8.2 and for some glitchy reason or other will require a three-page work-around to update to Win9 whereupon some features will no longer work as before. Thank God it will then have a "start" button so you can shut it down so the annoying fan will stop buzzing.
post #28 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by formosa View Post

Quote:

Perhaps the most notable feature, however, is that the device will be compatible with all three major mobile operating systems.

Doesn't Windows have 2-3% marketshare? I guess that makes it a major OS.

I think they meant the big 3: Apple, Android L and Android Gingerbread. I don't know why they didn't include BlackBerry.
post #29 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoluxa View Post

It seems to me like every time Apple is rumored to come out with something brand new, Samsung or MS shortly thereafter have rumors of their hardware foray of similar regard. Apple should just make something up as a leak and see if MS or Samsung then copy it immediately just to embarrass them. Granted it is impossible to know who thought up what first, but still, it really does appear that way.

Maybe Apple did make something up...or at least made up a rumor and sent it out... THAT would be so funny later this year when MS and Sammy are trying to hawk their watches to each other... Meanwhile Apple announces the iGirlfriend and totally draws all of the MS and Google piimple-faced techno-geeks to Apple's side.
post #30 of 38
I wish Steve Ballmer was still there to demonstrate the fitness improvement features.
post #31 of 38
Quote:

According to a rumor, Microsoft's expected foray into the burgeoning wearables market will be an activity-minded wristband-style device that will half-assed work with all major mobile platforms including Windows Phone, Google's Android and Apple's iOS.

There...fixed that for you

The real joke is that the MS wristband will have the Windows 8 UI... for all three mobile OSes... And you thought Microsoft had given up on the idea of "Windows Everywhere!"

Bwaaaahaahaaahaaaaaa.....
post #32 of 38
Microsoft just don't make good hardware. Never have. Yes some people like the Xboxes but that's still just a packaged cheap pc.

I can see this being a potential threat to Android wearables, but any Apple iDevice owner is going to buy the Apple wearable for the integration and better all-round experience. Android users are cheap and so would buy a Microsoft offering if it was cheap. Microsoft would have to have a killer feature to make a dent, and I don't see Microsoft being innovative enough to do that.

The only saving grace for this might be integration with an Xbox? Though they probably haven't thought about that. lol.
post #33 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

The Surface Mini was axed in the womb... only references to it were included in printed materials and a bloody coat hanger was seen out behind the headquarters.

Microsoft will bring out another consumer device... "Because we can." It doesn't have to make money and will come with a full-sized detachable keyboard. The slogan will be something along the line, "Why buy a laptop, a tablet, a phone and a wrist wrap when you only need to buy three of the four."

Quote:

You read that wrong... it's 4 to 8 hour battery life due to the on-board fan most likely...either than or suffer second-degree burns that will look remarkable like the old Zune logo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

I wish Steve Ballmer was still there to demonstrate the fitness improvement features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernz View Post

I can't wait to see all the versions that are going to come out of this...

MS TimeWatch, basic edition
MS TimeWatch, professional edition
MS TimeWatch 360
MS TimeWatch 8.1, multi-lingual patch
MS TimeWatch 360 with OneDrive and Skype connectivity

and then...

McAfee Anti-virus for MS TimeWatch
SharePoint for MS TimeWatch
.NET framework 5.1 for MS TimeWatch

... **yawn**

Haha all these posts were gold
post #34 of 38
It's unfair that the Samsung watches depicted here look pretty good but are actually terrible.
post #35 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

And if you can't run a full version of office on it, I'll be very disappointed. This is a productivity device, right?

There's a segment of the population that looks at any device with a screen, processor, and SDK and immediately thinks: if only there were apps.

This has limits, of course, but that's exactly what happened when the first Galaxy Gear came out. Someone hacked it to play Angry Birds. But that's not what will sell wearables. I don't think wearables = smaller smartphones, or there would be a race to make smaller, not larger smartphones.

Playing Angry Birds to watching YouTube videos on a watch are just novelties for geeks.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #36 of 38

The MicroSoft Watch...

The MicroSwatch.

post #37 of 38

I think this is a sign of the times...

If Microsoft had any kind of actual (as in usable) marketshare in the mobile space, they'd announce this thing as only being compatible with Windows Phone and/or Tablet platforms.  

Kind of a good feeling to see that they're forced to go multi-platform. I wouldn't touch the thing with a 30-foot pole (and not just becuase I don't wear watches), but nice to see nonetheless.

post #38 of 38
Quote:

Maybe Apple did make something up...or at least made up a rumor and sent it out... THAT would be so funny later this year when MS and Sammy are trying to hawk their watches to each other... Meanwhile Apple announces the iGirlfriend and totally draws all of the MS and Google piimple-faced techno-geeks to Apple's side.

Oh and this is NSFW but worth the view.

Edited by Relic - 7/3/14 at 3:29pm
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft rumored to debut platform-agnostic 'smart wristband' in Q4 with focus on fitness