or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Apple's 'iPhone 6' to launch on Sept. 25, larger 5.5" version dubbed 'iPhone Air'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rumor: Apple's 'iPhone 6' to launch on Sept. 25, larger 5.5" version dubbed 'iPhone Air' - Page 2

post #41 of 63

this is the lineup i'd like to see someday in the near future:

3.5" screen (like the iphone 4) -> iphone nano
4.0" screen (like the iphone 5) -> iphone air
4.7" screen (like the iphone thats coming, super thin) -> iphone
5.5" screen -> iphone pro

I think thats the best way to call them, and they keep the names unchanged in future models just like they do in the laptop line . Its confusing (and just plain ugly) to have the iphone models named 4S, 5S all while the samsung models are named S4, S5 ect.. yuk!

the iphone nano & air could have a little less features and previous generation CPU and be more price competitive. The iphone nano could come in different colors as well. Thats my glimpse of the future! :)

post #42 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomTB View Post

I really hate the idea that a 5.5 would become flagship with features not include in a 4.7. Mainly because I don't want a 5.5
Apple has always been into a decent size is smaller that's why a 5.5 inch is questionable not to mention questionable, not to mention superior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLite View Post

Why would the larger version be the Air? Wouldn't it make more sense to have the 4.7" iPhone Air and the 5.5" iPhone Pro, mirroring the screen size / power increase found in Apple's other 'Pro' devices?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLite View Post

I disagree - I think it'd be a shame if it didn't have superior hardware. A 5.5" screen gives them a lot more case space to play with, and it would be a real disappointment if Apple didn't take advantage of that space to include (for example) better camera components that physically wouldn't fit in a smaller device.
look at the iPads, there same hardware can't see why iPhones could not as well, the idea of a 4.7 inch being c version is wrong, in fact I find the 5.5 being C version more since to show unrealistic size gets lower quality.
post #43 of 63
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Apple would be stupid to do that. They have to know the 4.7" will be the biggest seller. I'm still not convinced these phablets are that popular (outside of China). Also the recent front panel leaks have only shown 4.7" so I'm still not convinced a 5.5" model will actually go into production.

In the U.S., lots of people have 5" size smartphones.
post #44 of 63
So I can buy a 16 gig iPhone 6 5.5 inch for almost a grand... Or a iPad air 64 gig LTE enabled for 850 Canadian. Makes perfect sense.
post #45 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post


Back in the day, the premium Japanese electronics (Walkmans for example), had the smallest and lightest components; bulk and weight were relegated to the cheaper products. Automatically equating bulk = better is something Detroit marketers cooked up. Sounds like some of you never got past that.

 

I'm not automatically equating bulk = better. What I'm saying is the following:

 

If Apple produce a 5.5" phone, it will be physically larger than the 4.7" one (obviously). If the phone is physically larger, they can put a larger battery in it. If there's a larger battery, they could theoretically include a more powerful CPU or GPU without loss of performance. Also, if the phone is physically larger width/height-wise, it can be made thicker without seeming disproportionate. If the phone is thicker, they can incorporate features such as OIS that require a certain amount of physical space.

 

Apple aren't going to put cheap or crappy components into any of their products. They're also not going to fill the extra case size in the 5.5" phone with air. The obvious solution is to fill it with more battery - all I'm saying is that they should take advantage of the space to add things like OIS as well.

 

It wouldn't be a case of the 4.7" phone being 'downgraded' or the 5.5" phone being 'upgraded' - Apple are going to put the best parts they can in each device. It'd be a simple consequence of the fact that a larger device has more space for components, in the same way that the Macbook Air and the Macbook Pro differ, and that if Apple are less constrained by space they can do more.

post #46 of 63

If we do see two sizes I think it will be "iPhone 6" and "iPhone 6+" in line with the "iPhone math" rumors.

post #47 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLite View Post
 

 

I'm not automatically equating bulk = better. What I'm saying is the following:

 

If Apple produce a 5.5" phone, it will be physically larger than the 4.7" one (obviously). If the phone is physically larger, they can put a larger battery in it. If there's a larger battery, they could theoretically include a more powerful CPU or GPU without loss of performance. Also, if the phone is physically larger width/height-wise, it can be made thicker without seeming disproportionate. If the phone is thicker, they can incorporate features such as OIS that require a certain amount of physical space.

 

Apple aren't going to put cheap or crappy components into any of their products. They're also not going to fill the extra case size in the 5.5" phone with air. The obvious solution is to fill it with more battery - all I'm saying is that they should take advantage of the space to add things like OIS as well.

 

It wouldn't be a case of the 4.7" phone being 'downgraded' or the 5.5" phone being 'upgraded' - Apple are going to put the best parts they can in each device. It'd be a simple consequence of the fact that a larger device has more space for components, in the same way that the Macbook Air and the Macbook Pro differ, and that if Apple are less constrained by space they can do more.

 

 

The trouble is that there are other 5.5" competitors in the marketplace.  Apple needs to be better then the current and near future competitor's models.  Better means lighter, thinner, better screen resolution, looks - color, feel, metal, last longer, faster, more storage, more memory.   

post #48 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLite View Post

I disagree - I think it'd be a shame if it didn't have superior hardware. A 5.5" screen gives them a lot more case space to play with, and it would be a real disappointment if Apple didn't take advantage of that space to include (for example) better camera components that physically wouldn't fit in a smaller device.
If the big one is better but same I'd agree it'd be a bit sad. Most iPhone buyers tend to go for a top model, it seems, and this would confuse them. But if it's better and somewhat different it's very cool.
post #49 of 63

Author wrote:

Quote:
Apple is planning to start sales of its next iPhone on Sept. 25, with China expected to be in the first group of countries to get the device.

The report, spotted by GforGames is highly suspect, as Apple historically starts sales of new iPhone models on Fridays, and Sept. 25 is a Thursday. Last year, Apple performed a simultaneous launch with the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c on Friday, Sept. 20.

 

Here in Denver it's Thursday when it's Friday in China.

Hot tub blonde, pouring champagne: "Say when..." Dangerfield: "Right after this drink."
Reply
Hot tub blonde, pouring champagne: "Say when..." Dangerfield: "Right after this drink."
Reply
post #50 of 63
OK here's how I believe the iPhone 6 and iPhone Air will be sold in the US based on rumors, Apple's track record and increased market competition.

iPhone 6 [32 GB]: $199/$649
iPhone 6 [64 GB]: $299/$749
iPhone Air [128 GB]: $499/$949

In the US I think they'll drop the 16 GB version altogether and will sell the 32 GB version for the same cost as the 16 GB for the iPhone 5s. I also believe Apple will charge $100 more for the Air than they did for the 64 GB model for iPhone 5s due to the bigger size compared to the iPhone 6.

For the record while I hate bigger screens (I'm one of those guys who wants to hold the phone and text in the same hand), I will buy the iPhone Air instead of the iPhone 6 mainly because I'm the kinda guy who has to have the highest model. My current iPhone is the 64 GB iPhone 5. I skipped the iPhone 5s cause it looked exactly like the iPhone 5 except for that ring around the home buttom for the fingerprint scanner.
post #51 of 63
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post
5.5-inch version that will supposedly be called "iPhone Air."

 

So the device which we’ve not seen, heard from, or even been hinted toward is now getting a name that is the exact opposite of the naming scheme of every single other device they sell, huh? 

 

I’m sure.

 

THIS JUST IN: Apple is releasing the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6S at the same time! Because we all know how well that worked for them in 2011 when they launched the iPhone 4S and 5 at the same... time... oh, wait, no, that didn’t happen, absolutely no evidence turned up of that happening, and yet it was still perpetuated as fact.

 

Just like now.

 

Originally Posted by DarkLite View Post
...the 5.5 iPhone Pro, mirroring the screen size / power increase found in Apples other 'Pro' devices?

 

There’s nothing “professional” about a device that is too large to be used by anyone in its use case.

 

Originally Posted by Indymac View Post
What if you like the current size, but want the updated silicon, camera, etc.

 

Then screw you, apparently. :lol:

 

Originally Posted by THEMAC1NT0SH View Post
What would people think if one of these ended up being the new iPod Touch?

 

I would be right. Again. I’ve said it from the beginning. I really like the idea of a 5.5” iPod touch.

 

Originally Posted by Harry Wild View Post
In the U.S., lots of people have 5" size smartphones.

 

Define “lots”. Last I read, it’s 10% of Android sales, which are LYING numbers.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #52 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

So the device which we’ve not seen, heard from, or even been hinted toward is now getting a name that is the exact opposite of the naming scheme of every single other device they sell, huh? 

 

That's not true. Apple named the larger iPad "Air." Since it represents 50% of the products with that moniker, I don't know how you come up with it being the exact opposite of "every single other device they sell." To me it looks like chances are 50/50 that *IF* they use the "Air" name at all it could wind up on the larger of two similar devices.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

There’s nothing “professional” about a device that is too large to be used by anyone in its use case.

 

I get the feeling you haven't actually tried a bigger phone. I don't own one, but I did try one out. I sent a couple texts, made a call, put it in my pocket and sat down, walked around with it a little. I frankly don't see what all the fuss is about. It wasn't uncomfortable or unwieldy at all. It fit in my pocket without issue and didn't crack my hip when I sat down.

 

The jury is still out for me on whether the larger screen really provided any benefit because it seemed like it may have just been scaled up so it didn't really provide any more actual "real estate" but I got the feeling that all the wailing and moaning about a plus-sized iPhone being too big to use or carry is just hyperbole or fear of the unknown.

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #53 of 63
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post
Apple named the larger iPad "Air."

 

And you don’t see that as a sign of anything?

 

I get the feeling you haven't actually tried a bigger phone.

 

I get the feeling you haven’t actually tried a 5.5” ‘phone’.

 
 ...I got the feeling that all the wailing and moaning about a plus-sized iPhone being too big to use or carry is just hyperbole or fear of the unknown.

 

Can’t put it in your pocket, can’t use it unless you have both hands free, can’t hold it to your head without looking like an idiot...

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #54 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 
Can’t put it in your pocket

 

Yes, I can. See the very post to which you replied in which I say that I tried it, standing sitting and walking, and had no trouble. Maybe you need to give up the skinny jeans!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 
can’t use it unless you have both hands free

 

I already use both anyway (though once I have a new device I can see using Siri more often than the keyboard). I don't get why people make such a big deal about two-handed use. To me it doesn't seem like a great hardship, but maybe I'm missing something. Like the part of my brain destroyed by three major head traumas. Or was it four?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 
can’t hold it to your head without looking like an idiot...

 

I use the supplied ear/mic/remote for calls so no, I won't, and besides, what do I care what a bunch of technosnobs think? I don't dress to please the fashionista, why would I worry about using my devices in a way that offends nerds?

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #55 of 63
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post
Yes, I can.

 

Good for you. Try being a woman. And no, that doesn’t mean go get your chromosomes changed.

 

I use the supplied ear/mic/remote for calls so no, I wont...

 

Good for you. Maybe Apple should make a product for you and you alone, then, huh?

 
...what do I care what a bunch of technosnobs think?

 

Stupidity tends to be universal.

 
I don't dress to please the fashionista, why would I worry about using my devices in a way that offends nerds? 

 

Ah, a Google Glass owner, ladies and gentlemen. ;)

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #56 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:
I use the supplied ear/mic/remote for calls so no, I won't

Good for you. Maybe Apple should make a product for you and you alone, then, huh?

I'm pretty sure every iPhone sold now comes with a headset that includes not only in-ear speakers and a remote but also a microphone. That hints at an expected use pattern that includes users other than just me.

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #57 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEMAC1NT0SH View Post

What would people think if one of these ended up being the new iPod Touch?

They would consider buying it if they wanted a new iPod Touch.
“I wasted time, and now doth time waste me.”
Reply
“I wasted time, and now doth time waste me.”
Reply
post #58 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

 

...Strangely, it seems the smaller the woman, the larger the phone! All the ladies I've seen carrying them are tiny.

Oddly, that is similar to a crazy thing I have observed here in Arizona.  The smaller the woman, the larger the truck she is driving.  Again, not a sexist remark (since I am not saying she is an idiot or anything like that), just an observation.

Interesting analysis aside, I have to think that if Apple makes a larger (4.7") and huge (5.5") phone, I would think that they are going to add things to the larger one that makes use of the additional space.  The better question is this, if they do make a phablet (damn, I hate that word something fierce), would they try to combine the functionality of the iPhone (i.e. calling people) and the iPad (on a much smaller screen); paving the way to an actual phablet device (instead of an overly large phone)?

No.
“I wasted time, and now doth time waste me.”
Reply
“I wasted time, and now doth time waste me.”
Reply
post #59 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

 
Well, I know one woman in particular who doesn't want a phone any larger than her current iPhone even though all of her purses are on the large side, however her hands are small. When I told her that the next iPhone was going to be bigger, she just said, "I don't want a bigger phone."
Yup...ONE woman....no more comment.

That's infinitely more anecdotal data than you provide.
“I wasted time, and now doth time waste me.”
Reply
“I wasted time, and now doth time waste me.”
Reply
post #60 of 63
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post
I'm pretty sure every iPhone sold now comes with a headset that includes not only in-ear speakers and a remote but also a microphone. That hints at an expected use pattern that includes users other than just me.

 

They always have. That doesn’t mean anything. Apple once sold a Bluetooth headset. Then stopped. By that metric, your argument has even less meaning.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #61 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post
I'm pretty sure every iPhone sold now comes with a headset that includes not only in-ear speakers and a remote but also a microphone. That hints at an expected use pattern that includes users other than just me.

 

They always have. That doesn’t mean anything. Apple once sold a Bluetooth headset. Then stopped. By that metric, your argument has even less meaning.

 

Whaddaya mean "it doesn't mean anything?" OF COURSE it means anything! It means Apple EXPECTS people to use a method other than hand-to-head to make sounds go into the phone. The very EXISTENCE of the microphone is its own support for the argument. That means *IF* Apple releases a bigger phone, the issue of clown head isn't necessarily a problem because there's a simple, free alternative.

 

It's seems you're just trying to "win" some kind of contest that only you perceive. I thought we were just exchanging points of view. If we're arguing, I concede. You win. I don't really care whether you agree with me or not.

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #62 of 63
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

It means Apple EXPECTS people to use a method other than hand-to-head to make sounds go into the phone.

 

… No. It means they gave the option.

 
That means *IF* Apple releases a bigger phone, the issue of clown head isn't necessarily a problem because there's a simple, free alternative.

 

Or, you know, no; maybe people want to use their devices the way that every single last one of them for the past 140 years have been used.

 
It's seems you're just trying to "win" some kind of contest that only you perceive. I thought we were just exchanging points of view. If we're arguing, I concede. You win. I don't really care whether you agree with me or not.

 

Thanks for acknowledging that you were wrong. Because you were. You’re the one who has now magically made this into a contest. The iPhone has had headphones since its inception because it’s based on the iPod model. The iPhone has had a microphone on the headphones since its inception because, since it is based on the iPod model, the thought arose to Apple that maybe, just maybe, someone would receive a call while using it as an iPod. And, since use as an iPod carries with it an inherent assumption that one’s hands are busy during that time (never mind that you have something in your ears), the microphone on the cable was a logical choice to let the user answer the call before it stopped ringing. It had nothing to do with the size of the device. Remember, this was back when the iPhone was 3.5”, and that was “too big”; Apple was guaranteed to release a 2.5” phone in mid-2008.

 

But from what I’m told now, that’s not even a consideration. After all, no one uses the iPhone as a phone anymore. So it doesn’t matter how big it is. It can be so big that it can’t fit into pockets! After all, everyone is holding their phone in their hands constantly. Just not up to their faces, because, again, it’s not used as a phone. No one would ever need the use of one or two of their hands for any other purpose than to interact with their device.

 

Anyway, think we’ll start to get complaints that the earpiece and mouthpiece are now too far away from each other? Oh, but what am I saying; no one uses it as a phone anymore…

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #63 of 63

YES, I'M ON OF THE WOMEN THAT WILL BY THE IPHONE 6 5.5. YOU CAN DO EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO DO . I HAVE A SAMSUNG NOTE 3 AND I LOVE IT YOU CAN DO EVERYTHING I NO LONG HAVE TO CARRY A PHONE AND MY IPAD ONE DEVICE IS ALL I NEED. DO NOT GET ME WRONG I LOVE APPLE PROUDUCTS. AS SOON A THE IPHONE 6 5.5 SCREEN COME OUT I WILL BE BUYING. AND YES IT WILL FILT IN YOUR POCKETS

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Rumor: Apple's 'iPhone 6' to launch on Sept. 25, larger 5.5" version dubbed 'iPhone Air'
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Apple's 'iPhone 6' to launch on Sept. 25, larger 5.5" version dubbed 'iPhone Air'