or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung's latest Apple-targeting ad slams battery life, calls iPhone users 'wall huggers'

Samsung's latest Apple-targeting ad slams battery life, calls iPhone users 'wall huggers'

post #1 of 322
Samsung on Thursday took its latest shot at Apple, in a new minute-long advertisement that refers to iPhone users as "wall huggers," suggesting they're constantly tethered to an outlet to keep their handset charged.

The new ad, embedded below, was posted to the official Samsung Mobile USA YouTube account. It's in the same style as previous iPhone-bashing ads that Samsung has paid to air on primetime television in America.

The latest ad shows iPhone 5s owners plugged into outlets at various locations within an airport. The ad suggests that iPhone owners must hang out on "stained carpeting and bathrooms" to ensure their handset has enough juice to keep operating throughout a full day.

At one point, an iPhone user sitting against the airport wall notes that a new model is coming out soon, while a person nearby chimes in that they "hope it has a better battery."

While iPhone users are stuck in inconvenient places, the ad shows people with Samsung's latest Galaxy S5 enjoying their device while Apple owners look on with envy. One Galaxy S5 owner checks her phone and sees she has only 10 percent battery remaining, but the device's battery-saving mode estimates that she has a full day of standby time left.

Another iPhone user is shown being envious of a Samsung device user who is swapping out the battery on their handset. The ad concludes by telling consumers to "not be a wall hugger," and instead opt for the Galaxy S5, with its swappable battery and ultra power saving mode.

The commercial is the latest in a series of Samsung ads poking fun at Apple. The campaign began in 2012, when Samsung lampooned Apple fans waiting in line for the iPhone 5 as onlookers enjoyed their already-available Galaxy S III. The ads feature the tagline: "The next big thing is here."
post #2 of 322
And Sammie's got the bandaid for that.

1biggrin.gif
post #3 of 322

Ummm, I charge my iPhone once very day (sometimes every two days).

In fact, at work I get asked by a lot more people if we have a charger for their "big-ass" Samsung phone.

Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
post #4 of 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Ummm, I charge my iPhone once very day (sometimes every two days).

Me too. Every night works for me 99% of the time.

Samsung must really be worried about Apples new products...

post #5 of 322

There is an air of desperation about these Samsung adverts.

post #6 of 322
Samsung just makes me sick when they do things like this.
post #7 of 322

Thing is, none of these anti-Apple ads have helped Samsung much. Apple’s share of the U.S. market has grown to 42% while Samsung’s has shrunk a little.

post #8 of 322
Yet anothere Misinformation .. From the lowest life company in the world !

Samsung gets more and more disgusting and desperate everyday !
post #9 of 322

IMO, the ability to change the battery, insert memory is a plus for power users. For the rest of us hacks(90 percenters(yes its a guess)), m'eh, typical Samsung FUD.

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
post #10 of 322

Samsung is just putting into practice their "Big Lie".

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #11 of 322

Fascinating. I once had a Samsung Blackjack. Unlike any phone I ever had before, I found TWO batteries inside the box. Wow! a spare battery. How thoughtful. Within two days I found out why the box had two batteries and I created these rules for myself and my Blackjack:

1. Don't EVER leave the house without a fully charged spare battery.

2. Don't EVER leave the house without the wall charger so you can use it to charge up the first battery after replacing it at lunch with the spare.

That way I could almost always get all the way home and still have a working phone.

post #12 of 322
I just looked it up and I honestly can't find a report to say the Samsung galaxy s 5 does not have better battery life then the iPhone 5s. It seems Samsung r&d has manage to beat apple at something customers care about finally
post #13 of 322
There shouldn't be any need for these then Samsung:

I wonder where the Apple charging stations are. This seems like another bout of insecurity from Samsung. Their S5 has flopped, they have no inspiration for future designs. Expect more cheap shots as they head downhill.

They did this with previous ads suggesting the iPhone was for older people and stats don't back that up either. When does it become libellous?
post #14 of 322

They've simply taken a page from the "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" ads.

I truly wish Apple's advertising would strap on a pair, instead of the atmospheric, feel-good, aimlessly repetitive efforts of late.

post #15 of 322
I think they need to be sued, again. Definitely false advertising. Where is the FTC when you need them (probably partying with the IRS). I just got back from a trip yesterday and the only people I ever saw "plugged in" were people with Windows laptops. Where the heck do these Samsung chuckleheads get their information. The reason Samsung has a replaceable battery is because they need it. I don't with my iPhone.
post #16 of 322
Hmm, I am disillusioned by iPhone, so I am going to switch to an Android phone made by a company whose antics resemble those of my 6-year-old son's playground shenanigans.

Um, right.

I'd go straight to HTC/Microsoft/BB before switching to these juvenile imbeciles of a company.

I thought competitor defaming such as this was reserved for used car dealerships in the south running those Cal Worthington-style commercials.
post #17 of 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Another iPhone user is shown being envious of a Samsung device user who is swapping out the battery on their handset. The ad concludes by telling consumers to "not be a wall hugger," and instead opt for the Galaxy S5, with its swappable battery and ultra power saving mode.

Or, if you're really a power user (my wife is, I'm not), you can just buy one of those one-hitter USB charger packs for your iPhone and turn off Bluetooth + Wi-Fi from the lock screen when you know you won't be using them.  Having your phone searching for nearby Wi-Fi networks all day is probably the single biggest power drain aside from the display.

post #18 of 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I truly wish Apple's advertising would strap on a pair, instead of the atmospheric, feel-good, aimlessly repetitive efforts of late.

Not me, I am glad Apple takes the higher road with their advertisements.  I think its funny how all these companies take jabs at Apple in their commercials.  Consumers have to wonder what these companies are so scared of and probably end up just buying an Apple Product.  

post #19 of 322
Quote:

Be sure to let Phil Schiller know.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #20 of 322

Sure, praise themselves for battery life because they have big ass battery, not because their phones are battery efficient. Samsung is a low class company. 

BTW, if Samsung devices have long battery life, why those device owners still want user replaceable battery for their devices or carry spare battery in the pocket? 

I Want My iOS UI Like in Apple Watch"
I Want My iOS UI Like in Apple Watch"
post #21 of 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

IMO, the ability to change the battery, insert memory is a plus for power users. For the rest of us hacks(90 percenters(yes its a guess)), m'eh, typical Samsung FUD.

I just want to know how that character from the videogame Watchdogs goes on an all-day hacking spree without ever once recharging or swapping out his phone battery. (Of course, if videogames were reality, reality would be pretty radical.)

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #22 of 322
That last lady on the Samsung has 10% battery life remaining and it said "Estimated max use: 1 Day".

Samsung: We last longer in Airplane mode than the iPhone does streaming.  #Winning

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #23 of 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Quote:

Be sure to let Phil Schiller know.

Yeah, sure. That'll do it.
post #24 of 322

I charge my iPhone 5S once every night and it lasts all day long, even after streaming music and watching videos. Once you know how to adjust the settings it's battery power is more than adequate for the average consumer. Once again Samsung is praying on the uneducated iPhone user. :no:

post #25 of 322
Well, I an Apple kind of person and most likely will continue that way. However, I do wish my iPhone could squeeze some more time out of a charge. I'm an avid cyclist and use GPS tracking for longer rides. It will last about 6 hours, but I realize GPS is putting a pretty heavy hit on power. So I take along a USB power pack. No problem.
post #26 of 322

I'm surprised they didn't capitalize on the people who were electrocuted (by non-Apple chargers/cables).

post #27 of 322

I charge my iPhone 5S once every night and it lasts all day long, even after streaming music and watching videos. Once you know how to adjust the settings it's battery power is more than adequate for the average consumer. Once again Samsung is praying on the uneducated iPhone user. :no:

post #28 of 322

another reason not to buy any ss products.

why would you want to make fun of people who may or may not be future customers. i personally don't own any ss products just because i don't truth them.

post #29 of 322
Ultra power saving mode - sounds innovating but is not, transforming your tablet-phone into a mobile from 90's is called a gimmick, as for swapping batteries i'm guessing Shamesung heard of cases with batteries but they ignore it and use this line to sell their cheap plastic

post #30 of 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

IMO, the ability to change the battery, insert memory is a plus for power users.

I'd rather have a USB charger pack than a spare battery because at least I can still use it when I get a new phone (and it works for other devices).  Bonus points for not having to duct tape my phone together after a couple of years because the battery slot has worn out.

post #31 of 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

I just looked it up and I honestly can't find a report to say the Samsung galaxy s 5 does not have better battery life then the iPhone 5s. It seems Samsung r&d has manage to beat apple at something customers care about finally

That would be an incorrect and faulty conclusion to draw.

The Galaxy S5 is a bigger phone, it's much heavier and also has a larger battery.

(4 ounces for iPhone 5s VS 5.1 ounces for Galaxy S5)

It's also butt ugly, it runs the world's worst mobile OS, the world's least secure mobile OS, and on top of that it comes with TouchWiz, as if stock Android weren't bad enough to begin with. Any monkey can make a large sized phone that has more battery life than a smaller device. That doesn't take any "R&D" talent, all it takes is a larger battery.

Apple always destroys everybody else when it comes to battery life, when comparing comparable devices. Just wait until the Apple iPhone 5.5" comes out. Boy, is that thing going to destroy, humiliate and massacre everything else out there.

Only a fool would ever buy a Galaxy S5. Even the name is designed to fool ignorant people who might get it mixed up with a 5S. This pathetic act of propaganda and desperation from Samsung, which is masquerading as an ad, proves that they truly fear what Apple is going to be releasing soon.

post #32 of 322
While I was watching the ad I was plugged in with my iPhone 5s. But it lasts pretty long unless you're ALWAYS on your phone which I shouldn't be but it's hard to not be with everything that I can do on it. :/
post #33 of 322

The iPhone's battery life would be much better if the iPhone was in standby mode most of the time, like the Samsung phones are. However, since I use my iPhone for doing a bunch of stuff every day, the battery tends discharge. Not a surprise. 

post #34 of 322
I really hate it when companies target ads against each other. Really! If your product is so good, why do you even bother attacking your competitions product?
post #35 of 322
How about videos that are only posted to a YouTube channel no longer get described as "ads" or "shots at" anyone. If a company isn't brave enough to broadcast an ad on television or external outlets then I don't think it counts as saying anything important or new. It's not even posted in a conspicuous place on their own website. A corporate YouTube channel barely amounts to more than an internal messaging archive, that a company hopes will get turned into actual publicity.
post #36 of 322

@Apple vs Samsung

Sure but that is because of the relative size of their phones. Since it is so much bigger the Galaxy S5 has a 2,800 mAh battery where as the iPhone 5S has a 1,570 mAh battery. So I bet the battery life for the iPhone will go up quite a bit if the new iPhone 6 is in fact a bigger form factor.

I remember analyst Horace Dediu saying innovation is not making things bigger in technology it is shrinking things down that is innovative.

post #37 of 322

LOL THESE PICTURE SAY  IT ALL.  SAME SONG. 

post #38 of 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Thing is, none of these anti-Apple ads have helped Samsung much. Apple’s share of the U.S. market has grown to 42% while Samsung’s has shrunk a little.

Samsung may have become a success mocking Apple considering Samsung is the largest "smartphone" manufacturer and apparently the only other manufacturer demonstrating profits despite a consensus of technology enthusiasts' low regard for their products.
post #39 of 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

There shouldn't be any need for these then Samsung:

I wonder where the Apple charging stations are. This seems like another bout of insecurity from Samsung. Their S5 has flopped, they have no inspiration for future designs. Expect more cheap shots as they head downhill.

They did this with previous ads suggesting the iPhone was for older people and stats don't back that up either. When does it become libellous?

I Wonder if same song realize how funny these pictures are.  lol

post #40 of 322

How silly, they must know that most iPhone users like me charge overnight and never run out of power.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Samsung's latest Apple-targeting ad slams battery life, calls iPhone users 'wall huggers'
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung's latest Apple-targeting ad slams battery life, calls iPhone users 'wall huggers'