or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung's latest Apple-targeting ad slams battery life, calls iPhone users 'wall huggers'

Samsung's latest Apple-targeting ad slams battery life, calls iPhone users 'wall huggers' - Page 2

post #41 of 322

The ad is pretty clever but like others said, it's not quite fair to compare iPhone with a smaller battery and a more powerful processor to Samsung's larger Galaxy S5.

Most of the reports I saw said the battery life in both is fairly decent.

I can almost guarantee that the iPhone 6's larger battery will out perform the same sized Galaxy.

Lastly, I don't know about "wall-hugging" but my iPhone can charge from empty to near full in less than 15 minutes or something thanks to the new lightning connector, so I imagine most iPhone users who need a charge will be on and off the wall fairly quickly.

I don't know how fast the Galaxy S5 charges up so I can't comment.

post #42 of 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post

Having your phone searching for nearby Wi-Fi networks all day is probably the single biggest power drain aside from the display.

I recently had the great misfortune of discovering this is not correct. I just completed a contract in the high desert region of California where I couldn't get a reasonable signal which caused the phone to constantly search for a signal. As a result, my phone had to be charged twice daily.
post #43 of 322

Of course the Samsung's battery lasts longer! It's normal for unused devices to leave the charge in the battery.

post #44 of 322
Sandung.. You single handedly are destroying the reputation and honor of a whole country. !

Despicable, lowlife entity !
post #45 of 322
These ads have an impact, unfortunately.

I am reminded of a comment from a Professor, long ago ...
"Proof by repeated assertion".

That's Samsung!
post #46 of 322
Is there anything more pathetic than Samdung!!!
post #47 of 322
The biggest thing here is that no matter how great the battery is or how great the OS software is at increasing battery life, if you use a ton of apps for hours every day, you'll be plugging in. There are a ton of Galaxy S3s and S4s and a few S5s at my job...and they're all being used to listen to music and do text and check Facebook (the latter two aren't really allowed but people do them anyway). There are also a bunch of iPhones being used for the same purposes. There are a lot of Galaxy's and iPhones plugged in at some point during the night (graveyard shift). Some people do carry a spare, which is great, but even they go through that one like its candy.

I generally charge my iPhone up to 100% before work and usually only use it for music and some texting (being a machine operator I'm allowed to text maintenance who also use company iPhones) and only ever see a 5% drop in most cases. Depends on where in the building I am and what the signal looks like. Am I the norm? Probably not, but I don't do Facebook and other social networking services. During the day, I text my girlfriend and email my parents occasionally. Otherwise I'm playing the occasional game and/or reading tech sites and listen to music. That usually only chews through about 25% battery all day. Course I should be sleeping most of the day too so that eliminates a lot of usage. When I get home from work, I'm usually hovering around a healthy 90-95%. Then I chop off another 25% for a still healthy 65-70%. I charge up again to 100% and start over. The only exception is when I don't work on the weekends, I'm up longer and doing more on my phone than usual. Still that lasts a lot more than even half a day or less like Samsung would have you believe.

The ad shows the woman with 10% battery life but it claims she has an entire day of standby? Who cares? Where's the nearest outlet? That'll be gone in 20 minutes of Facebook, texting and web browsing. If we're to believe that Galaxy phones have superior battery life, do benchmark tests that reflect real life use cases and see just how great it really is. Don't just do benchmark tests that run through a constant stream of websites at a specific brightness setting. Run through a whole bunch of apps that use CPU power at wildly differing levels. I'm sure different websites might use different levels of CPU power, but I bet a variety of apps will do a better job stressing things out.

Samsung: The Next Big Lie...is already here.

Samsung Galaxy series: Faster on a benchmark, not in your hand.

Samsung Galaxy series: Faster on a benchmark, not in your hand.

post #48 of 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Samsung on Thursday took its latest shot at Apple, in a new minute-long advertisement that refers to iPhone users as "wall huggers," suggesting they're constantly tethered to an outlet to keep their handset charged.

Go to LAX and every 10 feet is a Samsung charging kiosk (along with the Samsung displays and rest areas with charging stations & wifi).

post #49 of 322
iPhone gets great battery life considering how relatively small the battery actually is. Once the 4.7" models come out I predict it will completely blow Android out of the water.
post #50 of 322

I USED TO BE a wall hugger when I had the Samsung Galaxy S phone.  It lasted me from 8 AM until 3 PM.  That's a whopping 7 hours before it died and had to go back to the wall.  Then I got myself an iPhone 4s and never looked back.

post #51 of 322
The funny thing is that since the S5 came out, Samsung has made several new smartphones they present as top of the line, so... the 'latest Samsung' isn't the S5.
post #52 of 322

I easily get through the day on a single charge too. Although I did wake up to a phone that only had a charge of 37% this morning. I had a small wad of pocket lint in my lighting connecter port and never had a good connection on my clock radio dock. I'm at 11% and I'm heading home shortly – no big deal. If Sammy's battery life was so good, why do you need to carry a second battery for your phone?

post #53 of 322

In all objectivity, I thought I'd have a terrible battery with my 5S. It's actually pretty good and lasts from 8am to 10 pm with normal usage. 

A collegue of mine told me just today the he has less than 1 day with his pretty new S3.

post #54 of 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

They've simply taken a page from the "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" ads.

I truly wish Apple's advertising would strap on a pair, instead of the atmospheric, feel-good, aimlessly repetitive efforts of late.

"They've simply taken a page from the "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" ads."

Yep, and that is one of it's biggest  issues. Apple invented them and Samsung has proved they are so totally devoid of new ideas and can only follow apple around copying them (albeit their copies are a couple years late and always "then than" the original, as is so in this case)

When you are way, way behind in a market you need to "attack" the market leader (as was the case with Apple's "i'm a Mac" ads, MS had, conservatively, 90% of the "PC market apple was way behind in share but had a significantly higher quality product) If you are a market leader (or even close to a front runner) you don't -ever- mention your competition. (this is advertising 101)

This proves that despite all the blustering and puffery by samsung execs they know they are the trailing dogs in this market and are chasing apple (and are way behind) The fact that they couldn't even come up with an original attack ad and are really attempting to highlight a supposed "weakness" that doesn't affect users 85% of the users 98% of the time  is likely the most damming reality of this sad little campaign.

It will likely be a failure, just like almost all of samesung's ads only able to mislead and thereby prey on the uninformed.

post #55 of 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Another iPhone user is shown being envious of a Samsung device user who is swapping out the battery on their handset. 

I have never seen an envious iPhone user of a Samsung product.  Heck, even the personalities that Samsung hires or uses boast of their Samsung device then go tweeting on their iOS device.

And if you think about it, the Samsung ad has their phone requiring a second battery.  What does that say for the power saving Samsung device if you forgot that second battery?

/

/

/

Edited by Rot'nApple - 7/3/14 at 6:38pm

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #56 of 322
The only reason that Samsung's battery lasts (well doesn't because they have to change it all the time) is the fact that no one actually uses a Samsung for... well anything according to the research.
post #57 of 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoleman1 View Post

I charge my iPhone 5S once every night and it lasts all day long, even after streaming music and watching videos. Once you know how to adjust the settings it's battery power is more than adequate for the average consumer. Once again Samsung is praying on the uneducated iPhone user. :no:

WRONG!  There's no such thing as an uneducated iPhone user.  Uneducated people use shamesung phones.  Educated people use iPhones.  Get that straight!

post #58 of 322
Looool. I love my Samsung Note 3. Battery life is beyond awesome. My friends iPhones they constantly looking for a wall is true. Of course there must be the exception to the rule but the S5 has a mode where you can go with 10% battery for a full day.
post #59 of 322
I was given a brand new Samsung S4 Mini as my new work phone 4 weeks ago. On the 1st Friday evening, I switched it into flight mode with 85% battery remaining and put it to one side. On the Sunday evening I went to check that the alarm was set for the correct time and the battery was completely discharged.

I had spotted that Google Music Play seemed to have started up every time I picked up the phone even after I had tried to kill it a few times. I spoke to my Android expert in the office on the Monday and he said this kind of thing would be a problem unless I fully disabled all of the Samsung & Google cr&p that I don't use & cannot uninstall. Having done this, music play remains switched off & battery life is better.

It's not measured in any way but my 2.5 yr old iPhone 4s seems to do as well as the brand new S4 re battery life for similar tasks!
post #60 of 322

The Pontiac Aztec gets better fuel economy than a BMW M3.

Guess that automatically makes it the better and more desirable of the two.

Pontiac Aztec

19 city / 26 highway

BMW M3

14 city / 20 highway

post #61 of 322
Quote:

I truly wish Apple's advertising would strap on a pair, instead of the atmospheric, feel-good, aimlessly repetitive efforts of late.

Actually THAT'S what makes Apple different.

Apple's ads shows Apple products being used. That makes people feel good and confident in the product. They want to do stuff and the ads show Apple products doing the things they want to do.

Apple's competitors don't show the products doing anything other than photos or they attack Apple which only gets Apple's name mentioned more than the actual company doing the advertising.

post #62 of 322
Oh Sammy, you're such a piece of shit company.

Maybe if your users actually use the phone..
post #63 of 322
It's funny how tough it can be to achieve long battery life on devices that people actually like using a lot.
post #64 of 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

The Pontiac Aztec gets better fuel economy than a BMW M3.

Guess that automatically makes it the better and more desirable of the two.

Pontiac Aztec

19 city / 26 highway

BMW M3

14 city / 20 highway

I know which one Heisenberg would drive...

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #65 of 322
QQ on this site in 3...2.....oops too late.
post #66 of 322

Well, the one thing I am really unhappy about with my iPhones is the battery life, particularly after I started downloading tickets and boarding passes.

After 10 years where battery life was a key performance and getting acceptable to the point that it was no longer a disaster to forget the charger on a business trip, Steve Jobs changed it all with his remark on introducing the iPhone: see how thin it is!. I would gladly have accepted the same thickness on my iPhone 5 as my 4, or more thickness, if I had got it all back as battery life! One day is ridiculous, particularly when I have to catch a plane at the end of that day and my boarding pass is in the passbook. And please don't tell me about the options, I know them, and I use them, but it is outrageous that in 2014 we have to do this to get around a design flaw!

post #67 of 322

That's the kind of crap that backfires because nobody buys into because everybody needs to charge their battery away from home at times.

The only, and I mean only, thing I miss about my old Blackberry was the replaceable battery. I just preferred charging batteries separately, not my whole phone. That said, I still get a full day with my iPhone.

post #68 of 322
Quote:

The main difference being Apple actually had enough of a pair to broadcast their "I'm a Mac" ads publicly on television and on their main website and on billboards, etc. rather than cower in the corner of their YouTube channel :)

Notice how Samsung has pulled back from broadcasting these style of ads on national TV. Probably because they realize they're making fun of problems their own customers struggle with or cost extra money to remedy. So they post videos on YouTube that bloggers will generate publicity for. These videos are mostly for getting other people to generate headlines that say "Samsung digs at Apple" or "...Galaxy superior to iPhone with XXXX".

post #69 of 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

There shouldn't be any need for these then Samsung:

[images]

I wonder where the Apple charging stations are. This seems like another bout of insecurity from Samsung. Their S5 has flopped, they have no inspiration for future designs. Expect more cheap shots as they head downhill.

They did this with previous ads suggesting the iPhone was for older people and stats don't back that up either. When does it become libellous?

1) Those station look like they use NEMA connectors which makes that more for advertising and not stations specifically to charge your Samsung devices.

2) It become libelous when they say something that is blatantly false. All iPhones need to be charged and they can prove that someone has had a dead iPhone battery that needed charging in a public place. The Galaxy S5 will tell you the estimated max time remaining and the battery is user-replacable so that's all true. If they made some absolute statement that couldn't be proven as true and referred to specifically to the iPhone then it would be an issue.

3) This might be the first time a Galaxy S-line has bested the iPhone is battery life.

4) This ad is weak. Anyone that thinks the iPhone's battery life, which has been leading the market of app phones since it debuted, or a replaceable battery are issues aren't likely to be Apple customers anyway. For an Android-based phone it's a good choice, even though I'd go for the Nexus or HTC if I was forced to use Android, but I don't see this attack add doing anything but reinforcing the irrationality of their consumer base. But maybe that's what they want to do as the 8th gen iPhone is approaching.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #70 of 322
Hey Sammy, Apple users just bought around 58 million iPhones in 3 months.
Via wall huggers!
And if that rumored iPhone air hits the streets all hell gonna break loose up in this bi**!
post #71 of 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

I recently had the great misfortune of discovering this is not correct. I just completed a contract in the high desert region of California where I couldn't get a reasonable signal which caused the phone to constantly search for a signal. As a result, my phone had to be charged twice daily.

Either or.  If you're in range of weak Wi-Fi networks and it keeps trying to discover and connect to them, then that'll drain power.  Same goes for weak 3G/LTE networks.  Basically any time it needs to power up the antenna (cell/Wi-Fi/Bluetooth) and search for a signal/connect, it'll drain power.

post #72 of 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post
Only a fool would ever buy a Galaxy S5. Even the name is designed to fool ignorant people who might get it mixed up with a 5S

Alternatively, back in the real world of facts and logic, it's called the Galaxy S5 because it's the 5th phone in the Galaxy S line.

post #73 of 322
can't argue with that - my iphone 5 drains pretty fast and i cannot figure out which app is responsible for it. I recharge twice a day at least. I read that iOS 8 will support a feature that lets you see how much power each app consume.
post #74 of 322
I don't think that's where you want to go, Samsung 1tongue.gif

My Samsung-loving friends are constantly without any phone at all because their battery is dead. They are always hauling (or forgetting!) car chargers, wall charges, cords, and external battery packs.

The latest iOS 7 has brought spells (a few days long before the problem goes away for a few weeks) where my iPhone drains faster than it used to. Apple should (and can) fix that.

But even on those worst days, I can keep my iPhone working all day without needing a charge. And as people have noted, an iPhone recharges really fast if it comes to that.

(Of course, any phone can run out if you do hours of 3D gaming, searching for a weak cell signal, and hours of video or audio conversation. So it's theoretically possible that my Samsung friends just use their phone more than I use mine. But I seldom see them use theirs since we hang out in the evening and their phone is dead. And I use my iPhone constantly--mainly for Internet stuff.)

Whatever phone you have, if you need heavy usage for extended times away from power, then a battery-case or the like is a good option.
post #75 of 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoleman1 View Post

I charge my iPhone 5S once every night and it lasts all day long, even after streaming music and watching videos. Once you know how to adjust the settings it's battery power is more than adequate for the average consumer. Once again Samsung is praying on the uneducated iPhone user. :no:

I don't think so. A non-power user ("uneducated" as you said) probably gets a couple days out of a charge on their iPhone because by definition they are not heavy users. This ad is directed at people who don't have an iPhone yet. It is not worth the cost of advertising to try to win iPhone users over to Samsung. Probably < 1% target market. All Samsung advertising is targeted at people who are considering buying their first iPhone.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #76 of 322
What a strange love/hate relationship Samsung and Apple have. Samsung makes Apple products and at the same time slags Apple off. What an odd, topsy turvy world we live in.
Apple's battery life is an issue, but it sounds as though the copy cat company's batteries are no better.
post #77 of 322
Samsung remains proof that a mud-slinging match is a huge waste of resources. I would recommend that they devote their resources to improving their products, but the don't seem to have the common sense to be able to benefit from such advice.

iPhone 5s - 16 GB, white
Mac mini - Intel Core i5

Apple TV

iPhone 5s - 16 GB, white
Mac mini - Intel Core i5

Apple TV

post #78 of 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by netrox View Post

can't argue with that - my iphone 5 drains pretty fast and i cannot figure out which app is responsible for it. I recharge twice a day at least. I read that iOS 8 will support a feature that lets you see how much power each app consume.

It's in Settings » General » Usage » Battery Usage. Over half my power usage is with iMessage, less than a 20% with Safari, and the rest for everything else.

post #79 of 322

Thank you Samsung for providing us chargers so that we can surf and top off our iDevices while we are sitting in airports waiting. Hopefully, your users don't run their Samsung devices down to nothing, only to pull out their extra battery and remember that they forgot to charge it.

btw, since I am using multiple portable devices (phone, tablet, bt headphones), I went out and bought a single USB battery charger that can charge all my devices ... how many batteries would I have to buy and carry for my multiple devices?

post #80 of 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephFriedrich View Post

I really hate it when companies target ads against each other. Really! If your product is so good, why do you even bother attacking your competitions product?

Yes, but what can you do when your product is not so good and your business model is based on copying and lying instead of design and engineering.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Samsung's latest Apple-targeting ad slams battery life, calls iPhone users 'wall huggers'
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung's latest Apple-targeting ad slams battery life, calls iPhone users 'wall huggers'