or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple hires sales director of Swiss watch maker TAG Heuer for anticipated 'iWatch' launch

Apple hires sales director of Swiss watch maker TAG Heuer for anticipated 'iWatch' launch - Page 4

post #121 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

No, but I have a jar of olives, ice and some gin, vodka and vermouth.

Don't forget those cute little onions, I prefer a Gibson's.

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #122 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobleh View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewMe View Post

So, when I consider the iWatch I keep asking myself "what fundamental and life changing use cases does the thing address?"

That is really the key question, it's all about compelling use cases. But Tim already gave us a big hint at one of the D conferences.

First, if you look at the wrist, there are 3 benefits to a wristworn device:

1. Fashion - visible to all, it allows for a personality statement
2. Convenience - always visible to you, it allows for immediate viewing/access to information/controls/features
3. Body measurement - directly touching your body/skin, it allows to measure your body functions

Fashion - it has been done thousands of times before and though I am sure Apple can innovate here and bring its unique hardware+software touch (how about a band made of flexible display, allowing for custom skins instead of changing physical bands?), I think fashion alone does not justify a new Apple product category

Convenience - Warmer. Again, done many times before but still with room to innovate. Cue payments, personal identification and the Disney Magic band which Disney (connected with Apple through the board room just as Nike is!) already employs in their Orlando park (there is a great article about it in PC World). Again, it's starting to be intriguing but such product would still not fully make "a significant contribution" which would justify a new Apple product category - the rarest of breeds.

Body Measurement - Hot! Tim said he was most intrigued by the possibility of a wearable device to change one's behavior. If you think about it, our always connected devices tell us million different things from your stocks value, weather in Rio, current news from Asia. But none tell us anything about the most important and priceless thing in our life - our health!

I believe fitness, health and sleep monitoring will be the main drawing card. For the first time, a person can constantly monitor his/her health, feed the data to his/her physician, get feedback and/or learn to interpret the data with the physician's help and - adjust behavior. Also, there can be a groundbreaking interaction with apps (as already suggested by Apple patents). Let's say my calendar for tomorrow morning is clear. I set the alarm for 8 AM. But I fall asleep only at 1 AM and my sleep is interupted several times. The device then (if enabled) automatically changes the alarm to 9 AM as it recognizes based on past measurements you need at least 8 hours of sleep. And the list of possibilities could go on and on.

Conclusion - though we can count on Apple releasing a beatifully designed product with many convenience features (iOS 8 and recent Tim's comments strongly suggest quick contextual message replying and voice messaging), the least explored but potentially the most benefitial uses cases are the ones related to payments, personal ID and mainly health. In my opionin, measuring health and the body-app interaction can brake new grounds.

You talk of opionin—have you been taking opium and onions simultaneously?

An earnest post.

Meh. Health is niche. Payments may be gold.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #123 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:

Don't forget the shaker. lol.gif

Now, don't stir up the thread. 😃
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #124 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Quote:

Don't forget those cute little onions, I prefer a Gibson's.

Onions?! Plffff!

I love onions fried. Not in my cocktail, thank you.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #125 of 126
Quote:

It's already happening, your President wears a watch from this company, it was a gift from some of his bodyguards.

Probably the only thing since 2007 that has ran correctly in the White House :P 

post #126 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewMe View Post

Traditional watches are for most people, other than say divers and pilots, mostly personal jewelry products. As such their functionality is secondary to their beauty.

So, when I consider the iWatch I keep asking myself "what fundamental and life changing use cases does the thing address?" If it's just another toy like most of the other wearables are, or just another piece of jewelry, or just a minor tweak so I don't have to dig my phone out of my pocket (the pain, the insufferable pain!) then I'm scratching my head about why Apple would bother getting into the market. On the other hand perhaps Apple has envisioned use cases that I have not even thought about. That's why I'm not totally blowing the concept off, because I trust Apple wouldn't bring something to market that doesn't have any redeeming value beyond techno-lust and playtime gadgetry. Let's see what they come up with.

When you combine jewelry with functionality as did Kairos, you have quite a bit more than the sum of its parts. 

• You have smart features that are always handy (quite literally). Always easier to twist your wrist than to pull out a phone. 
  • Smart features handy that you don't need a phone for (alarms, notifications, other features not needing huge interaction)
  • Smart features, such as health, that most people don't currently have. And those, as you were mentioning, that Apple will show us as we wonder how we ever lived without them. 
  • Of course, the beauty of the jewelry itself. The engineering of a masterful timepiece. 
  • The ability to sell base models to very expensive watches using mostly the same tech. 
  • Selling multiple watches as those who do wear often have more than one (gold and silver). You can always buy that loved one another iWatch in this years Johny's signature collection. Just look at all the watches Kairos and Tissot has. 
  • iWatch for activities (working out, playing, diving, running, boating, hiking), an expensive one for those special dinners out, and one for everyday use. 

If you thought the iPhone, more so the gold 5s is a fashion statement, the iWatch will take Apple into the fashion wearable market like nothing else, and only Apple can.

$400+ for the base model 

$600-$800 for the mid level

$1000++ for the Apple Signature collection.  

I realize these are far from actual pricing, but the example is to show the vast range in which Apple can sell this collection. 

You know you are truly loved when your sweetheart buys you that $2,000 limited addition Signature iWatch in platinum. 

Side note, I also think this will be a great opportunity to introduce the Liquid Metal and Sapphire combination :) 

Special addition Father's Day, Mother's Day, graduation, oh heck, Earth Day, Valentines Day, etc. etc. an absolute myriad of design options in equal number of materials combinations that will entice people to own more than one iWatch timepiece. This could be the biggest thing Apple has ever released!!! 

Edited by Richard Getz - 7/9/14 at 8:15pm
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple hires sales director of Swiss watch maker TAG Heuer for anticipated 'iWatch' launch