or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Foxconn may replace 'iPhone 6' assembly line workers with 'Foxbot' robots

Foxconn may replace 'iPhone 6' assembly line workers with 'Foxbot' robots - Page 3

post #81 of 108

It wasn't that long ago that people worried a lot about robots replacing workers in a big way here in the US.   Of course that didn't happen, we just sent all the jobs to other countries.  Now robots are threatening jobs in those countries for real.  It will be very interesting to see how the workforce there reacts when (or if) robots begin to put people out of work in significant numbers.

Like the Kaiser Chiefs said, "I predict a riot."

post #82 of 108
Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post
It will be very interesting to see how the workforce there reacts when (or if) robots begin to put people out of work in significant numbers.

Same way they did in the 1830s: they’ll get different jobs.

It’s the Luddites all over again.

“The only thing more insecure than Android is its userbase.” – Can’t Remember

post #83 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Today: Foxbots.
Tomorrow: Droid Army.

Yesterday: Dad's Army.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #84 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Not mentioned is the possibility, and IMO likelihood, that Google technology will now be assisting in the building of iPhones. 1bugeye.gif 

And every Foxy Google Bot will report back to Google.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #85 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

And every Foxy Google Bot will report back to Google.

They'll know all Apple's iPhone plans in advance now.

/s
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #86 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Silvy View Post

Will the ROBOTS self destruct/become suicidal if they fall behind on production?  lol.gif
Wow, the comments in this thread have been anything but P.C. These robots won't replace workers but increase production output, which means more workers will still be needed to put together the smaller more intricate parts in the assembly line. The working conditions at Foxconn have improved but only so much as to appease international criticism, the fact still remains that no self respecting westerner would ever work in a place like that. If it wasn't for the very publicized deaths at Foxconn in the first place, the fact of the matter is Apple, HP, Samsung and who ever else uses them would have continued to turn a blind eye. I would like to see manufacturing of these products brought back to their countries of origin. Even if we don't care about what is basically slave labor then maybe how about slowing down China's grab for world domination because at this point though it's only a matter of time when China will be using us for cheap labor. So enjoy those iPad's while you can.

Why would you expect the comments here to be P.C.? Must be a lot of Mac users here, I would have thought.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #87 of 108
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post
Why would you expect the comments here to be P.C.? Must be a lot of Mac users here, I would have thought.

post #88 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You can do the math.    

If only it were as easy as you were pretending.

Seems it was easy enough for you  to claim that I am incorrect about overpopulation. Let's see your data.

FYI, my numbers are giving your argument the benefit of the doubt by a factor of two. Since you did not even recognize that I would suggest you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. See, the population numbers are two years old and the arable acres are double that of the technically accurate figure. The 7 billion acres is more like the 'potential' agricultural area not the actual area. Normally not included in arable land data are, orchards, roads, structures, open space, steep terrain, grazing land, forest, etc. The real numbers are much worse than what I presented because I didn't want to be viewed as being unreasonable.

Besides arable land data there is verifiable ocean data that shows the devastating extent to which the oceans are being over fished not to mention the issues of fresh and salt water pollution. Couple that with record drought in traditional staple crop growing ares, I wouldn't be at all surprised to start to see major increase in hunger and poverty to become pervasive around the world due to food shortages in the coming decade.

Edited by mstone - 7/7/14 at 6:56pm

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #89 of 108
Headline:

"Obama negotiates a deal to raise the minimum wage to 15.00 an hour... USA turns to robots."
post #90 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Oops.  I meant Star Wars "Trade Federation" droids, not the cheap-copy-of-Apple Google droids.

Roger roger.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #91 of 108
Seems it was easy enough for you  to claim that I am incorrect about overpopulation.

Because anyone who cares about the topic would have done the research required to know you’re wrong.

Since you did not even recognize that I would suggest you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about.

Says the person absolutely certain that 7 billion is too many, flying in the face of research into the subject and, you know, looking outside.

Look, you’re wrong. Blindingly wrong. Since estimates range between 4 and 20 billion, and that it’s obviously not 4 and obviously not 7, that tells us that 1. we don’t really know anything definitive about this concept and 2. we do know what isn’t the CC.

Malthus was as about as smart as the Luddites. You’d do well to not take his gospel as truth. Hint: their topics coincide pretty darn well, too.

post #92 of 108
Quote:

Because anyone who cares about the topic would have done the research required to know you’re wrong.

Says the person absolutely certain that 7 billion is too many, flying in the face of research into the subject and, you know, looking outside.

Look, you’re wrong. Blindingly wrong. Since estimates range between 4 and 20 billion, and that it’s obviously not 4 and obviously not 7, that tells us that 1. we don’t really know anything definitive about this concept and 2. we do know what isn’t the CC.

Malthus was as about as smart as the Luddites. You’d do well to not take his gospel as truth. Hint: their topics coincide pretty darn well, too.

This guy is a serious riot. 

post #93 of 108
Quote:

Seems it was easy enough for you  to claim that I am incorrect about overpopulation.

Since you did not even recognize that I would suggest you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about.

Sounds like you know your stuff. /s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s

post #94 of 108

Hey, enjoy your delusion!

post #95 of 108
Quote:

Hey, enjoy your delusion!

I'm curious. What possible motive do you have in arguing that civilization is not on the precipice of rapid decline due to overpopulation? Do you own stock in Soylent Green?

post #96 of 108
I'm curious. What possible motive do you have in arguing that civilization is not on the precipice of rapid decline due to overpopulation?

Literally everything we know about technology and human growth, which says otherwise. Screaming “overpopulation” while 140 years shows otherwise is meaningless.

post #97 of 108
Quote:

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #98 of 108
Quote:

once again, this work only if humans are quicker to learn the new jobs, when robots will be quicker than humans to get the new skills, humans won't have many jobs anymore.

I do not think that this is a bad thing, if we adapt the economic system accordingly.

post #99 of 108
Originally Posted by luinil View Post

once again, this work only if humans are quicker to learn the new jobs, when robots will be quicker than humans to get the new skills, humans won't have many jobs anymore.

Eventually all jobs that do not require creative, sapient thought will be done by machines. And humanity will be better for it.

We’ll drive for pleasure, not work or necessity. We’ll build, cook, shop, etc. for the same reasons.

post #100 of 108
🍏
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #101 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by luinil View Post

Eventually all jobs that do not require creative, sapient thought will be done by machines. And humanity will be better for it.

We’ll drive for pleasure, not work or necessity. We’ll build, cook, shop, etc. for the same reasons.

Well the few lucky blighters to have money. The vast majority will be consigned to the metaphorical bin.
post #102 of 108
Originally Posted by singularity View Post
Well the few lucky blighters to have money. The vast majority will be consigned to the metaphorical bin.

Uh… no.

post #103 of 108
Quote:

Uh… no.

Uh...yes
post #104 of 108
Uh...yes

Not in the slightest, no. That’s not how it works.

post #105 of 108

Humanity won't ever run out of jobs. It used to be that 80% of people worked in agriculture in order to feed everyone. Nowadays we are so efficient at agriculture we get the same amount of food (actually more, hence the obesity problem) with only 5% of the population. I'm sure at the time there were people saying society was doomed, as the farming jobs dried up.

So now we are getting better and better at making manufactured goods. Some day soon only 5% of people will be doing that. Are we doomed this time? I doubt it. Not as long as there are people with ideas. 

As existing industries become more efficient and lay off workers, the supply of available labour increases, and so the price of labor falls. This makes it suddenly affordable to try out ideas that were too expensive to try when everyone was employed in existing industries, and had to be bid away from their existing employer. And all it takes it one or two of these ideas to work to create thousands of jobs. One example is the iPhone, it didn't exist 7 years ago, but Steve Jobs thought it up, and since then how many thousands of new jobs have been created out of it's ecosystem? Programmers, managers, artists, musicians, voice actors, advertisers, accountants to do their taxes, cleaners to clean their offices, caterers to feed them. And then there's Elon Musk with his electric car and rocketry companies.

The day humanity runs out of jobs is the day we run out of ideas. And if that has happened we have bigger problems than lack of employment, because it probably means that free speech and art have all been censored/banned in the preceding years, which is why people no longer have any imagination.

post #106 of 108
Someone's gonna have to make and maintain the robots
post #107 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Humanity won't ever run out of jobs. It used to be that 80% of people worked in agriculture in order to feed everyone. Nowadays we are so efficient at agriculture we get the same amount of food (actually more, hence the obesity problem) with only 5% of the population. I'm sure at the time there were people saying society was doomed, as the farming jobs dried up.

So now we are getting better and better at making manufactured goods. Some day soon only 5% of people will be doing that. Are we doomed this time? I doubt it. Not as long as there are people with ideas. 

As existing industries become more efficient and lay off workers, the supply of available labour increases, and so the price of labor falls. This makes it suddenly affordable to try out ideas that were too expensive to try when everyone was employed in existing industries, and had to be bid away from their existing employer. And all it takes it one or two of these ideas to work to create thousands of jobs. One example is the iPhone, it didn't exist 7 years ago, but Steve Jobs thought it up, and since then how many thousands of new jobs have been created out of it's ecosystem? Programmers, managers, artists, musicians, voice actors, advertisers, accountants to do their taxes, cleaners to clean their offices, caterers to feed them. And then there's Elon Musk with his electric car and rocketry companies.

The day humanity runs out of jobs is the day we run out of ideas. And if that has happened we have bigger problems than lack of employment, because it probably means that free speech and art have all been censored/banned in the preceding years, which is why people no longer have any imagination.

Again,

In your post, people get replaced by robots, then someone get a new idea and use those people to implement it. That works only if it is not cheaper to use robots to implement the new idea, and at some point it will be.

Robots will get cheaper than people, and robots will get quicker than people to learn new skills, people will not be able to compete.

This is a problem of how much time is needed to automatize a new job. Until now it has taken a long time to automatize a new job, so when we automatized agriculture, people could go in manufacturing until it get automatized, when we automatized manufacturing, people could go to other new jobs until those get automatized.

The thing is, automation of a new jobs is getting quicker and quicker, and we will soon reach a point where when you come up with a new job, it will be quicker and cheaper to automatize it than get it done by humans.

It is absolutely not a problem of creativity, it is a problem of the time an human needs to be able to do a new task, vs the time needed to automatized the new task. And we are "loosing" this competition.

post #108 of 108

Just tell me when this model comes out.

Sarah Conner? You owe me 200 for last night, rrrruuuuunnnn John! and bring mommy her purse, da da daaa da daaaaa, da da daaa da daaaaa

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Foxconn may replace 'iPhone 6' assembly line workers with 'Foxbot' robots
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Foxconn may replace 'iPhone 6' assembly line workers with 'Foxbot' robots