or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Apple to boost 4.7" 'iPhone 6' battery by 15% over iPhone 5s
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rumor: Apple to boost 4.7" 'iPhone 6' battery by 15% over iPhone 5s - Page 2

post #41 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shev View Post

If this turns out to be true then I think this may be the year I actually ditch the iPhone since using one for 7 years. The battery on the iPhones is laughable.

 

no it isnt. i typically charge my phone once a day and have never had to laugh at the battery because its lasted me 24 hours. sometimes more.

post #42 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevliu1980 View Post

[...]

I'm 100% sure the SOC in the iPhone 6 will be incredibly efficient but a larger screen with higher resolution is going to draw more power. So I think it's fair to be a bit concerned about battery life on the iPhone 6 IF these battery rumours hold true.

 

My guess? Overall, the 4.7" iPhone 6 will have equal battery life (though much higher standby life) to the iPhone 5S. Slightly disappointing, but not a deal breaker. 

 

Personally I'd trade some thickness and weight for another 20-25% increase in battery size - since you get it at a FRACTION of the additional thickness and weight of an aftermarket battery case. 

My guess... 30-45 minutes more time in a 'normal' usage model (what ever normal is.. but it's not heavy wifi, screen updating, lots of background updates... which I've found map/travel apps to be pretty heavy duty).   so 5-8% more 'use'.   I think a bulk of  savings will come from iOS 8 tweaking to optimize to the A8 and drop all tradeoffs for the A5 and lower.  Efficient chip, Better OS code, better battery tech, more battery, better LED tech.

post #43 of 127
It doesn't come off as an opinion! Seriously dude we have one dictator in the Whitehouse we don't need another trying to keep Apple from moving forward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphMouth View Post

Relax dude. I was only stating my opinion; I wasn't trying to argue with you. Of course it is always better to have faster CPU and GPU! That is not a bad thing. But Apple is not designing the iPad for the 5% of power users who may need the additional computational power.
This is where you fail because it isn't about power users. Rather it is about us type A's that detest staring off into space waiting on our hardware. As it is I'm seeing some improvements in iOS 8 betas so id be the first to admit that it isn't all hardware related. However even that doesnt fix structural problems that limits the types of apps that function well on iPad.
Quote:
The iPad is marketed towards the average person as a general portable computing device so there will be no need for an A8X. I still think the A7 is fine for the iPad Air. No problems whatsoever for me even when I play 3D games.


Edit: Let me just add that if Apple does put a A8X with much more GPU power then I'm not going to complain. 

My problem is this; from my perspective i expect considerably better performance out of an iPad relative to my iPhone. im not talking a simple 100MHz here or so. Rather i want close to laptop like performance that the """AVERAGE""" person can enjoy, often at similar price points to an iPad. I say close because I dont expect performance matching the latest wiz bang laptop but I do expect a big jump from the iphone. When it comes right down to it the average person doesn't want a frustrating machine.
post #44 of 127
Originally Posted by itpromike View Post
Indeed a larger phone COULD sport a larger battery... if the company making it was concerened about such things instead of their own engineering pride and prowess. 

 

So you didn’t read the article. 

 

Originally Posted by itpromike View Post
By a measly10% yes... so for a phone that lasts 5 to 6 hours of use that would give 30 more minutes of use.

 

Thanks for admitting you didn’t read the article.

 

Originally Posted by Chipsy View Post
It's not entirely clear to me what you mean by that. Anyway there are already phones out there that support 802.11ac like the Nexus 5 f.e.

 

Yes, and it’s not designed for the platform. I mean an 802.11ac chip that is meant for devices like this and which doesn’t draw insane amounts of power.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #45 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post
 

 

no it isnt. i typically charge my phone once a day and have never had to laugh at the battery because its lasted me 24 hours. sometimes more.

Yep.

post #46 of 127
Are you keeping up with the facts here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

Hilarious! Does Apple have some magic pixie dust it sprinkles over iPhone batteries to give them a certain capacity independent of their size. Of course not. A smaller case means smaller space for a battery and thus a lower capacity battery.
If all things remained equal that may be the case. However if you look at the history of the iPhine you will see that for the most part they moved battery capacity ahead with each release. This is the result of two things, one being continuously improving battery capacity per unit area and better usage of internal space within the iPhine itself.
Quote:

Criticizing the anemic (compared to others) battery capacity in iPhones is about the best way around to bring out the Apple fanboys.

Nope. It is a matter of getting your facts correct, when you post BS expect to be handed your hat.

That being said I'm all for higher capacity batteries and better battery life. However I don't want that at the expense of a larger device than is required. Fat phones simply don't cut the mustard. Apple can get there with improved battery tech, more efficient use of space within the phone and improved electronics. You can't simply look at milliamp hours and say one phone is better than another because it is a package deal. Thus the whole package must be evaluated as it is sold, evaluations based on stamped specs on parts are of limited usefulness.

In any event the facts are as follows: Apple has increased battery life in its iPhones for some time now. Each process shrink brings with it the opportunity to lower power draw at a given performance level. Apple has a huge amount of infrastructure in place to help engineer even more effcient ARM processors and support chips.

Combine these realities with some unknowns and it is impossible to accurately predict how a future iphone will behave with a given battery size. Some have already made half assed statements about giving up on iphone because they see a millamp hour number and think it is time to punt. Such an attitude is a sign of the woefully mis informed. Maybe iPhone 6 will be crap for battery life, however we wont know until a shipping device can be tested.
post #47 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post
 

Hilarious! Does Apple have some magic pixie dust it sprinkles over iPhone batteries to give them a certain capacity independent of their size. Of course not. A smaller case means smaller space for a battery and thus a lower capacity battery.

 

Criticizing the anemic (compared to others) battery capacity in iPhones is about the best way around to bring out the Apple fanboys.

When batteries increase in measured and stated amperage capacity from generation to generation of iPhone Apple has not "reduced" battery capacity. OBTW? Case thickness doesn't actually tell the story of how much interior volume is being given over to the battery, reduce or consolidate other interior items (replacing the 30 pin connector with the Lightning...) and the physical size of the space devoted to battery can increase. There's stories of the 3.5 mm headphone jack assembly being eliminated: one result of that would be a gain in interior volume for other things, such as battery volume.

post #48 of 127
Originally Posted by Shev View Post

If this turns out to be true then I think this may be the year I actually ditch the iPhone since using one for 7 years. The battery on the iPhones is laughable.

 

Nice try.  And welcome to Apple Insider.  We get plenty of newbies here.

And plenty of trolls too.  Paid and not paid.  They're easy to spot.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #49 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post
 

 

I'm curious- what is it that you do that is "work" that drains the battery life so much?  Games and streaming video are the 2 biggest drains of battery-life.  So, technically, gamers should be the ones more concerned with wanting longer battery life.  Stop pretending you and your tasks are more important  than someone else's.  They are simply different tasks- none greater or lesser.

 

I'm in agreement with you completely.  I prefer the lighter and thinner phone.  I also can get through my day of work fine without needing a charge.  Of course, I'm not playing Candy Crush at the office or headed to the bathroom for a yank-fest either, so I understand how others need more battery life.

Regardless- You aren't grasping his point.  It's all about him and his uses.  Don't worry about solutions for the masses.

Liked the last sentence, this guy is obviously an imbecile who wants a feature, but YOU of course are the masses!

I work in a company which operates more than 5000 iPhones after ditching the land-line. The most usual complaint is battery life, particularly after people started using pass-book boarding passes and other downloaded tickets, very often after a long working day with plenty of downloads. But I assume these people, not being the masses, are not to bright because in addition to heavy use they occasionally forget to charge the phone overnight, and not all bring some brick-like gadget for emergency charging everywhere they go.

post #50 of 127
Good call adonissmu. Pun not intended.
post #51 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


No they don't.

iPhone 3GS = 12.3 mm = 1219 mAh
iPhone 4 = 9.3 mm = 1420 mAh

iPhone 4S = 9.3 mm = 1430 mAh
iPhone 5 = 7.6 mm = 1440 mAh

Now in the iPhone 5S the battery has a higher capacity than it has ever been at 1570 mAh.
No they don't.

So is this to imply that if my iPhone 5 was as thick as my iPhone 4, it could not result in more battery capacity? To me it is pretty clear that this is a case of sacrifying battery life for thickness. 

post #52 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

It doesn't come off as an opinion! Seriously dude we have one dictator in the Whitehouse we don't need another trying to keep Apple from moving forward.
This is where you fail because it isn't about power users. Rather it is about us type A's that detest staring off into space waiting on our hardware. As it is I'm seeing some improvements in iOS 8 betas so id be the first to admit that it isn't all hardware related. However even that doesnt fix structural problems that limits the types of apps that function well on iPad.
My problem is this; from my perspective i expect considerably better performance out of an iPad relative to my iPhone. im not talking a simple 100MHz here or so. Rather i want close to laptop like performance that the """AVERAGE""" person can enjoy, often at similar price points to an iPad. I say close because I dont expect performance matching the latest wiz bang laptop but I do expect a big jump from the iphone. When it comes right down to it the average person doesn't want a frustrating machine.

You can always tell when you're going off the rails when you start commenting BEFORE the quote that you're responding to. The reader has to stop reading what you're saying, then skip down to what you're going on about, then go back to what you're saying, over and over when you multiquote.

What you say may not be worth that much bother.

Then you throw in a stupid Fox News stinker like the "Whitehouse dictator" remark. You are not a reliable opinion if you haven't noticed that White House is two words, or that this "dictator" hasn't lied his way into an endless war like the last one did. In other words, stay out of politics here; you're being a blowhard.
post #53 of 127

Hilarious!

 

The next iPhones will have increased battery life and certain "people" are complaining!:lol: 

 

Go ahead, ditch your iPhones! Apple doesn't need you, and neither does this forum!:no: 

post #54 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPT View Post

So is this to imply that if my iPhone 5 was as thick as my iPhone 4, it could not result in more battery capacity? To me it is pretty clear that this is a case of sacrifying battery life for thickness. 

And what battery life was sacrificed when the device is more power efficient and has an increased battery capacity resulting in longer duration of use for the same tasks?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #55 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shev View Post

If this turns out to be true then I think this may be the year I actually ditch the iPhone since using one for 7 years. The battery on the iPhones is laughable.

If its that bad, and that important to you, what's stopping you from ditching it right now?

Real users just switch and get what they want, while concern trolls post idle threats about switching.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #56 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

If its that bad, and that important to you, what's stopping you from ditching it right now?

Real users just switch and get what they want, while concern trolls post idle threats about switching.

 

Yeah, he or she is full of excrements, to put it politely.

post #57 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

Given Apple's large market share, it needs to include EL models among those choices.

 

Does anyone else see the cognitive dissonance in this statement?

Booga: "Elon Musk goes for the stars, [Ballmer] installs Windows on a basketball team's computers.  Sounds about right."
Reply
Booga: "Elon Musk goes for the stars, [Ballmer] installs Windows on a basketball team's computers.  Sounds about right."
Reply
post #58 of 127
The article ends with, "...That would allow runtime to remain the same despite the lessened power reserve."

Ummmm... a 15% larger battery is not a "lessened power reserve." It's actually greater.
post #59 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Hilarious!

The next iPhones will have increased battery life and certain "people" are complaining!lol.gif  

Go ahead, ditch your iPhones! Apple doesn't need you, and neither does this forum!1oyvey.gif  

If he never responds with any follow up post, then you know it's another drive-by troll, meant to inject false "concern" about Apple's "lack of competitiveness."

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #60 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post
 

Hilarious!

 

The next iPhones will have increased battery life and certain "people" are complaining!:lol: 

 

Go ahead, ditch your iPhones! Apple doesn't need you, and neither does this forum!:no: 

Couldn't agree more.

We don't want any critcism of Apple here, and people who criticizes Apple should not be allowed to buy their products. Have myself had all generations of Macs since the SE, and a handful of iPhone models, but obviously I have never experienced anything other than perfectionism.

post #61 of 127
I will reserve my comment when I learn what the actual battery life is. Some of you have already assumed he worst just because the battery isn't bigger than so and so....lol.
post #62 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


And what battery life was sacrificed when the device is more power efficient and has an increased battery capacity resulting in longer duration of use for the same tasks?

The better battery life that would have resulted if they didn't choose to reduce the thickness, which is the single most criticized feature by the 5000+ users of the iPhone where I work.

post #63 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPT View Post
 

Couldn't agree more.

We don't want any critcism of Apple here, and people who criticizes Apple should not be not be allowed to buy their products. Have myself had all generations of Macs since the SE, and a handful of iPhone models, but obviously I have never experienced anything other than perfectionism.

 

There's a difference between legitimate criticism and "concern trolling".

 

I don't see how somebody could criticize Apple for increasing the battery life on the next iPhone compared to the previous models. 

 

I call BS on those people.

post #64 of 127
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

Hilarious! Does Apple have some magic pixie dust it sprinkles over iPhone batteries to give them a certain capacity independent of their size. Of course not. A smaller case means smaller space for a battery and thus a lower capacity battery.

...

 

Hilarious!  Apple has been granted several battery technology patents.  Not for "pixie dust" but for real-world, practical improvements to battery charing, packaging, and yes, battery shape (e.g. the curved battery patent possibly for "iWatch.")  Copycats like Samsung will need to go back to the drawing board instead of the copy machine.  

 

And, as we all know, Apple constantly improves their Ax chip line.  The 64-bit A7 will evolve into a faster and more energy-efficient A8 this year.  Guaranteed.  

 

Meanwhile, read and learn.

Charging patent:

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2009/02/apple-reveals-a-highly-advanced-battery-charging-system-patent.html

Flexible / curved battery packs:

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2013/07/apple-prepares-battery-designs-for-flexible-display-devices-while-their-maps-may-gain-a-few-minor-features.html

Plus plenty of solar panel patents:

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2012/07/apple-wins-their-sixth-solar-power-related-patent-more.html

Oh, and Samsung is losing Apple's battery business:

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2012/11/samsung-forces-apple-to-shift-battery-suppliers-for-ipad.html

 

Originally Posted by Inkling View Post
...

Criticizing the anemic (compared to others) battery capacity in iPhones is about the best way around to bring out the Apple fanboys.

 

 

Criticizing the battery capacity in iPhones is about the only thing for Samsung trolls (paid and unpaid) to nitpick about any more.   Remember when the trolls used to brag about droidphone specs?  Yeah, the GHz, GB, "dual core Tegra 2 chipset" (that your wife will love), OLED, and all that techno-marketing-babble?  Well that's all dead and gone.  

 

The instant a troll bring up specs, all we need to do is type those six little keystrokes: "64-bit".  

BOOM.

 

Then there were the "standing in line" TV ads.  With the pizzicato string musical cues to tell the audience to expect humor, the techno-ignorant hipsters standing in line, droid users banging their phones together, and the Starbucks-toting ex-hippies showing up late.  Well guess what.  Nobody cared.  iPhone line-waiters gonna line-wait.  Snarky anti-Apple ads gonna be ignored.  iPhones gonna sell.  Online and brick-and-mortar.

 

Now we have the "wall hugger" ad.  Showing that people will do anything to avoid Android.

And just barely 2.5 months before "iPhone 6" is released with bigger battery and (presumably) improved A8 efficiency.

And (as rumored) at least one bigger screen size.

And with massive improvements to iCloud (as described at WWDC last month).

And with iOS 8 with HomeKit for smart home integration, along with many other iOS 8 improvements.

Funny that Google barely even mentioned Android at last months' I/O conference.  

Maybe they're giving up on Android.  Precious little money they're making from it anyway.

(And yes, folks, Android has been stuck at 4.x since 2011.  An eternity.)

 

I wonder what Samsung's marketing group will be reduced to advertising next year.

What new lows will they be forced to stoop to?  Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #65 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple may be planning to trade battery capacity for slimness in its next-generation handsets, according to a Monday report from the Far East, with the hotly-anticipated 4.7-inch "iPhone 6" said to pack an 1,800 mAh unit and its 5.5-inch sibling bringing a 2,500 mAh reserve.

"iPhone 6" and "iPhone 6c" concepts by Martin Hajek.


If true, the more diminutive device would receive a battery capacity bump significantly larger than the 8 percent jump between the iPhone 5 and the current-generation iPhone 5s, likely attributable to the increased power demands of the larger display. The report was first published by Chinese technology website IT168.

The stated 2,500 mAh capacity of the widely-rumored 5.5-inch "phablet" variant, meanwhile, would be an increase of 60 percent from the iPhone 5s. Despite the seemingly substantial increases, they would place Apple's offerings behind similarly-sized devices from rivals like Samsung and Motorola.

Samsung's flagship Galaxy S5, for instance, sports a 2,800 mAh battery alongside a 5.1-inch display. Motorola's Moto X packs a 2,200 mAh battery with its own 4.7-inch screen.

One reason Apple might consider such a move would be as part of a strategy to slim down the next-generation devices, as larger-capacity batteries bring with them a corresponding increase in size -- the Galaxy S5, despite a larger frame in which to place the battery, is still thicker than the iPhone 5s. The Cupertino company could also have designed a much more power-efficient architecture, thanks to their impressive vertical integration, that would allow runtime to remain the same despite the lessened power reserve.
Ok, I'm thoroughly convinced that most of the people replying to this read the article incorrectly (mostly because it was written confusingly poor). Apple IS increasing the battery life. Also, for those of you that have an issue with your current iphone, you must be using an iphone 5 or earlier. My wife and many friends I know have an iphone 5 and get terrible life (about 3 hrs actual usage). With my iphone 5S, I get an average of 7. I have gone 2 days without looking for a charger while I use it frequently (not for gaming or video though). Everyone I know with an S4 is constantly plugged into the wall. I'm really looking forward to the iphone 6
post #66 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post
 

 

There's a difference between legitimate criticism and "concern trolling".

 

I don't see how somebody could criticize Apple for increasing the battery life on the next iPhone compared to the previous models. 

 

I call BS on those people.

I totally agree that critics and trolling are two distinctly different things. However occationally some people on this site may be a little short sighted in their support of everything Apple chooses. All design is choices and priorities, and priorities changes over time. People use their iPhones much more heavily now than when it was introduced. When I had my first iPhone, my reaction was that the phone was HUGE, I currently use a 4 and a 5, and I was shocked by how much I felt the 0.5 inch larger screen improved the product because my way of using the phone had totally changed. It has been a large mistake by Apple not to provide a larger phone before now. I was a short time ago in the situation that I had to buy a new phone for one of my sons, he totally refused a phone with such a small screen, and I had to buy an android to him! However I totally refused to buy a Samsung, there has to be some principles that can't be broken!

post #67 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPT View Post
 

I totally agree that critics and trolling are two distinctly different things. However occationally some people on this site may be a little short sighted in their support of everything Apple chooses. All design is choices and priorities, and priorities changes over time. People use their iPhones much more heavily now than when it was introduced. When I had my first iPhone, my reaction was that the phone was HUGE, I currently use a 4 and a 5, and I was shocked by how much I felt the 0.5 inch larger screen improved the product because my way of using the phone had totally changed. It has been a large mistake by Apple not to provide a larger phone before now. I was a short time ago in the situation that I had to buy a new phone for one of my sons, he totally refused a phone with such a small screen, and I had to buy an android to him! However I totally refused to buy a Samsung, there has to be some principles that can't be broken!

 

Well, this is the year that Apple finally seems to be introducing two new, larger iPhone models, a 4.7" and a 5.5". 

 

So what's the problem? All those who have been wanting a larger Apple phone should be extremely happy, and those who have been wanting more battery life should also be happy.

 

If battery life were my main priority and my main concern, then I'd obviously be grabbing the 5.5" iPhone, as that is going to have the best battery life, for obvious reasons.

post #68 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post
 

 

Hilarious!  Apple has been granted several battery technology patents.  Not for "pixie dust" but for real-world, practical improvements to battery charing, packaging, and yes, battery shape (e.g. the curved battery patent possibly for "iWatch.")  Copycats like Samsung will need to go back to the drawing board instead of the copy machine.  

 

And, as we all know, Apple constantly improves their Ax chip line.  The 64-bit A7 will evolve into a faster and more energy-efficient A8 this year.  Guaranteed.  

 

Meanwhile, read and learn.

Charging patent:

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2009/02/apple-reveals-a-highly-advanced-battery-charging-system-patent.html

Flexible / curved battery packs:

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2013/07/apple-prepares-battery-designs-for-flexible-display-devices-while-their-maps-may-gain-a-few-minor-features.html

Plus plenty of solar panel patents:

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2012/07/apple-wins-their-sixth-solar-power-related-patent-more.html

Oh, and Samsung is losing Apple's battery business:

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2012/11/samsung-forces-apple-to-shift-battery-suppliers-for-ipad.html

 

 

Criticizing the battery capacity in iPhones is about the only thing for Samsung trolls (paid and unpaid) to nitpick about any more.   Remember when the trolls used to brag about droidphone specs?  Yeah, the GHz, GB, "dual core Tegra 2 chipset" (that your wife will love), OLED, and all that techno-marketing-babble?  Well that's all dead and gone.  

 

The instant a troll bring up specs, all we need to do is type those six little keystrokes: "64-bit".  

BOOM.

 

Then there were the "standing in line" TV ads.  With the pizzicato string musical cues to tell the audience to expect humor, the techno-ignorant hipsters standing in line, droid users banging their phones together, and the Starbucks-toting ex-hippies showing up late.  Well guess what.  Nobody cared.  iPhone line-waiters gonna line-wait.  Snarky anti-Apple ads gonna be ignored.  iPhones gonna sell.  Online and brick-and-mortar.

 

Now we have the "wall hugger" ad.  Showing that people will do anything to avoid Android.

And just barely 2.5 months before "iPhone 6" is released with bigger battery and (presumably) improved A8 efficiency.

And (as rumored) at least one bigger screen size.

And with massive improvements to iCloud (as described at WWDC last month).

And with iOS 8 with HomeKit for smart home integration, along with many other iOS 8 improvements.

Funny that Google barely even mentioned Android at last months' I/O conference.  

Maybe they're giving up on Android.  Precious little money they're making from it anyway.

(And yes, folks, Android has been stuck at 4.x since 2011.  An eternity.)

 

I wonder what Samsung's marketing group will be reduced to advertising next year.

What new lows will they be forced to stoop to?  Any ideas?

I don't think you are right that people don't care about this campaigns by Samsung. A standard theory in marketing is that criticizing competitors in general is not an approach that works well, and if not very cleverly done may backfire. Based on my assessment of these campaigns by Samsung, I would believe that Samsung may actually be loosing customers because of the stupidity.

post #69 of 127

Oh Come On people. If you are on the Apple camp, you should at least "try" to understand apple better.

 

Do you ever see Apple advertise their battery capacity? Do they ever tell you that on their keynote? No.

Why?

 

Its because Battery Capacity Dont Matter! What matters is the experience. Or how long you can use it for. Which is what they do tell you, how many min of Internet Browsing, and Music Listening etc.

 

I could drain out your 10,000 mAh battery ( BTW mAh isn't even an energy unit )  within minutes with a Desktop CPU.

 

The 20nm A8 SoC is only going to help so much, since the SoC uses little power, comparatively speaking. The highest power usage components are Display Panel and Wireless Antenna. The later are rumoured to get some substantial improvement.

post #70 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

No they don't.

iPhone 3GS = 12.3 mm = 1219 mAh
iPhone 4 = 9.3 mm = 1420 mAh

iPhone 4S = 9.3 mm = 1430 mAh
iPhone 5 = 7.6 mm = 1440 mAh

Now in the iPhone 5S the battery has a higher capacity than it has ever been at 1570 mAh.

You're missing the point. All of those models could have had larger batteries if they had been made thicker.

In spite of the additional height of the iPhone 5 over the 4, the volume of the 5 is 12% smaller than the 4 thanks to its thinness. If Apple had kept the 5 the same thickness as the 4, it would have increased the volume by 22% compared to the model as it was released. The battery appears to occupy about 40% of the space inside the iPhone 5/5S, so in theory Apple could have increased the battery capacity by 45% if they didn't make the phone any thinner. The iPhone 5/5S could have had a 2276.5 mAh battery.
post #71 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post
 

 

Well, this is the year that Apple finally seems to be introducing two new, larger iPhone models, a 4.7" and a 5.5". 

 

So what's the problem? All those who have been wanting a larger Apple phone should be extremely happy, and those who have been wanting more battery life should also be happy.

 

If battery life were my main priority and my main concern, then I'd obviously be grabbing the 5.5" iPhone, as that is going to have the best battery life, for obvious reasons.

Believe my I am happy to see a larger iPhone, and hopefully also a choice between two sizes, but I would be even happier if it had happened sooner, both for my own uses, and because Apple has left this field open for the competition for way to long.

post #72 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

You're missing the point. All of those models could have had larger batteries if they had been made thicker.

In spite of the additional height of the iPhone 5 over the 4, the volume of the 5 is 12% smaller than the 4 thanks to its thinness. If Apple had kept the 5 the same thickness as the 4, it would have increased the volume by 22% compared to the model as it was released. The battery appears to occupy about 40% of the space inside the iPhone 5/5S, so in theory Apple could have increased the battery capacity by 45% if they didn't make the phone any thinner. The iPhone 5/5S could have had a 2276.5 mAh battery.

The point is he's wrong and/or lying. The batteries have gotten larger, not smaller as the casings have gotten thinner.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #73 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksec View Post
 

Oh Come On people. If you are on the Apple camp, you should at least "try" to understand apple better.

 

Do you ever see Apple advertise their battery capacity? Do they ever tell you that on their keynote? No.

Why?

 

Its because Battery Capacity Dont Matter! What matters is the experience. Or how long you can use it for. Which is what they do tell you, how many min of Internet Browsing, and Music Listening etc.

 

I could drain out your 10,000 mAh battery ( BTW mAh isn't even an energy unit )  within minutes with a Desktop CPU.

 

The 20nm A8 SoC is only going to help so much, since the SoC uses little power, comparatively speaking. The highest power usage components are Display Panel and Wireless Antenna. The later are rumoured to get some substantial improvement.

Just like size doesn't matter? For years the single most criticized topic on this site has been that 3.5, then 4 inches is perfect and wanting more was trolling!

post #74 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Shocking isn't it?

As to A8, rumor has it that Apples primary goal with A8 is to lower power usage so it is very possible that the next generation phones will have very good run times. I'm also expecting a split with more powerful A8X's going into iPads. The one chip does all strategy really doesnt work because one product or the other ends up compromised.
most deffinately, IPad 5 has smaller battery then IPad 4 but has longer battery but people are going nuts about this new thinner iPhone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Do you boo. I mean seriously... Studies have shown that Android people don't actually use their phones. It's only natural that the battery might last longer time wise since they aren't even using it to begin with. iPhone users are heavy users as a group. So yeah wall huggers iPhone users may be but Samsung users aren't even using their phones.
Yep power saving mode, known as don't use it battery doesn't go down.

As I hope they keep A8 on both IPad and iPhone, as for only difference is graphics but iPhone 6 is supposed to have a screen resolution of about 350 ppi on 4.7 and 5.5 inch screen, that is 720 or 1080 p, just short of iPads, thus they both need better graphics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I'm curious- what is it that you do that is "work" that drains the battery life so much?  Games and streaming video are the 2 biggest drains of battery-life.  So, technically, gamers should be the ones more concerned with wanting longer battery life.  Stop pretending you and your tasks are more important  than someone else's.  They are simply different tasks- none greater or lesser.

I'm in agreement with you completely.  I prefer the lighter and thinner phone.  I also can get through my day of work fine without needing a charge.  Of course, I'm not playing Candy Crush at the office or headed to the bathroom for a yank-fest either, so I understand how others need more battery life.
Regardless- You aren't grasping his point.  It's all about him and his uses.  Don't worry about solutions for the masses.
Battery life goes a good day as it does under normal uses, yeah gaming will cut your battery down to 3 hours, power heavy task.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Behnam View Post

I think the larger iPhone can have a comparable battery life to the iPad. That would be great.
Most deffinately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesTheLesser View Post

Personally, I want an iPhone that's as thin and light as possible. I prefer a smaller profile with good battery life over a heavier phone with great battery life.

If you really don't mind a heavier device, why not just get a case with an external battery? Doing this will get you outstanding battery life.
They secretly won't the pretty and thin but don't admit it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphMouth View Post

There will only be a need for an A8X if the A8 doesn't have enough graphical power to drive the iPad Air 2 display. The A7 GPU is powerful enough for the iPad Air and the A8 will probably have more than 2x increase. Unless Apple is doubling the resolution of the next iPad I don't think the A8 will have any problems.
What people don't realize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itpromike View Post

I'm actually hoping for an increase in this area as well.. my retina mini stutters at points and it's surprising... it's the first iPad I've owned (after the first gen) that visually stuttered when performing common tasks.
Hopefully there is a major bump in gpu
In A8 because I doubt CPU will be anything more then doubled but it probably will be 2 gb ram.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

So why don't you buy a battery case. That'll give you the battery power you desire and protect your iPhone.
They don't think it threw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

No they don't.

iPhone 3GS = 12.3 mm = 1219 mAh
iPhone 4 = 9.3 mm = 1420 mAh

iPhone 4S = 9.3 mm = 1430 mAh
iPhone 5 = 7.6 mm = 1440 mAh

Now in the iPhone 5S the battery has a higher capacity than it has ever been at 1570 mAh.
No they don't.
That's what people don't realize, yes it's thinner but it's going to be taller and wider to allocate bigger battery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPT View Post

So is this to imply that if my iPhone 5 was as thick as my iPhone 4, it could not result in more battery capacity? To me it is pretty clear that this is a case of sacrifying battery life for thickness. 
yes thicker allows more but not always true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Hilarious!

The next iPhones will have increased battery life and certain "people" are complaining!lol.gif  

Go ahead, ditch your iPhones! Apple doesn't need you, and neither does this forum!1oyvey.gif  interesting, more battery life in smaller device. People: oh no it's thinner so there sacrificing battery.
its
post #75 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPT View Post

...wanting more was trolling!

No it wasn't. It's how you say it. Making foolish claims you can't back up, saying how Apple is going to go under if they don't do what you say, saying that Steve Jobs would have never done this or that, and/or saying Tim Cook needs to be fired is typically trolling; but simply saying "I'd like more battery life" or "I'd like a larger display on my iPhone" isn't trolling and if you wrote either of those things no one would have called you a troll.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #76 of 127
Originally Posted by Shev View Post
If this turns out to be true then I think this may be the year I actually ditch the iPhone since using one for 7 years. The battery on the iPhones is laughable.

 

Go away, please.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #77 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


No it wasn't. It's how you say it. Making foolish claims you can't back up, saying how Apple is going to go close its door if they don't do what you say, saying that Steve Jobs would have done this or that, and saying Tim Cook needs to be fired is typically trolling, but simply saying "I'd like more battery life" or "I'd like a larger display on my iPhone" isn't trolling and if you wrote either of those things no one would have called you a troll.

Please tell me what claims I made that I can not back up. As far as I can see I have not referred to Steve Jobs doing this or that (but why should that in itself be wrong?). And I do not believe that Tim Cook should be fired. Far as I can see I said that I (and a large number of my collegues (first hand, not hearsay!) would like more battery time, and that I would like a larger screen.

 

I have used Apple products where available since the SE, and I don't like to be insulted by a relatively newcomer like you (albeit very productive), on this site.

post #78 of 127

The capacity of the battery doesn't matter. What matters is how long you can use the device. I am guessing whatever size battery Apple puts in their new phones, the run times will be longer than the current models. The only question is how much longer than the current models and how will the run time compare to the competition.

 

Anyone that simply looks at the capacity of a battery and decides if it is good or bad is just being stupid. It is like judging the quality of a camera based on the megapixels.

 

-kpluck

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Reply

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Reply
post #79 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPT View Post
 

Liked the last sentence, this guy is obviously an imbecile who wants a feature, but YOU of course are the masses!

I work in a company which operates more than 5000 iPhones after ditching the land-line. The most usual complaint is battery life, particularly after people started using pass-book boarding passes and other downloaded tickets, very often after a long working day with plenty of downloads. But I assume these people, not being the masses, are not to bright because in addition to heavy use they occasionally forget to charge the phone overnight, and not all bring some brick-like gadget for emergency charging everywhere they go.

Of course I am a part of the masses!  Most people can get through the day with their iPhone.  You think people would still buy an iPhone if the majority have a dead battery before they get home?  Or are forced to go sit in their car and charge it up?  Really?  You're going to argue that?

 

You also fail to understand my argument.  Do I want more battery life?  Sure!  Do I want a thicker, and (more importantly)- heavier phone?  No thanks, unless it is a physically larger phone.  10 hours of continual use is enough for me.  I'd love to hear what all 5,000 people in your office are supposed to be using their phones for where they legitimately don't have enough battery life.  It sure as hell isn't simply talking.

And a brick?  Hardly.  If its such a huge deal- all they need is a lightning cord and a USB plug.  Ya'll haven't dropped desktops yet, right?


Edited by Andysol - 7/7/14 at 11:26am

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #80 of 127
Originally Posted by RPT View Post
 

I don't think you are right that people don't care about this campaigns by Samsung. A standard theory in marketing is that criticizing competitors in general is not an approach that works well, and if not very cleverly done may backfire. Based on my assessment of these campaigns by Samsung, I would believe that Samsung may actually be loosing customers because of the stupidity.

 

Good point.  And I'll add a quick tip for Samsung marketing:

 

You mention Apple, you lose.  Unless you're Apple.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Apple to boost 4.7" 'iPhone 6' battery by 15% over iPhone 5s