or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Apple to boost 4.7" 'iPhone 6' battery by 15% over iPhone 5s
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rumor: Apple to boost 4.7" 'iPhone 6' battery by 15% over iPhone 5s - Page 3

post #81 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post
 

Of course I am the masses!  Most people can get through the day with their iPhone.  You think people would still buy an iPhone if the majority have a dead battery before they get home?  Or are forced to go sit in their car and charge it up?  Really?  You're going to argue that?

 

You also fail to understand my argument.  Do I want more battery life?  Sure!  Do I want a thicker, and (more importantly)- heavier phone?  No thanks, unless it is a physically larger phone.  10 hours of continual use is enough for me.  Your 5000 iPhone people- I assure you- the majority are looking at Facebook, Instagram, and doing non-work activities.  Care to argue that?  I'd love to hear what all 5,000 people in your office are supposed to be using their phones for where they legitimately don't have enough battery life.  It sure as hell isn't simply talking.

And a brick?  Hardly.  If its such a huge deal- all they need is a lightning cord and a USB plug.  Ya'll haven't dropped desktops yet, right?

I do not want to argue that our employs occationally do other things with their phone than work, and so what; the phone is actually made for it, and were I live we pay tax for being fortunate to have a company phone so we never have to leave work. I actually do myself occasionally, like  when I spent hours upon hours on various airports recently, checked into a hotel at 5 am and was picked up 2 hours later for a full day of meetings, the entire trip not able to reach an outlet, and not bringing my laptop because this was one of the countries in the world where our security people does not allow us to bring a laptop (or more specifically a harddisk). Guess what? The iPhone died, and what saved the day was the old dumb-phone I also brought, and the fact that I had old-fashioned paper boarding passes for my return.

To me and many of my colleagues, the time battery life in dumb-phones increased to the point that it was no longer a disaster to forget the charger is a time we fondly remember, and some of us, but correctly as you say not all, would gladly carry a few more grams to relive that time, even in the time of USB.

post #82 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPT View Post

Please tell me what claims I made that I can not back up. As far as I can see I have not referred to Steve Jobs doing this or that (but why should that in itself be wrong?). And I do not believe that Tim Cook should be fired. Far as I can see I said that I (and a large number of my collegues (first hand, not hearsay!) would like more battery time, and that I would like a larger screen.

I have used Apple products where available since the SE, and I don't like to be insulted by a relatively newcomer like you (albeit very productive), on this site.

1) Those were examples of what may be seen as trolling. I have no specific recollection of what you've posted previously. If I had remembered you posting something that was trolling I would have been very specific and quoted those comments.

2) Newcomer? Really?! 1oyvey.gif

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #83 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPT View Post
 

I do not want to argue that our employs occationally do other things with their phone than work, and so what; the phone is actually made for it, and were I live we pay tax for being fortunate to have a company phone so we never have to leave work. I actually do myself occasionally, like  when I spent hours upon hours on various airports recently, checked into a hotel at 5 am and was picked up 2 hours later for a full day of meetings, the entire trip not able to reach an outlet, and not bringing my laptop because this was one of the countries in the world where our security people does not allow us to bring a laptop (or more specifically a harddisk). Guess what? The iPhone died, and what saved the day was the old dumb-phone I also brought, and the fact that I had old-fashioned paper boarding passes for my return.

To me and many of my colleagues, the time battery life in dumb-phones increased to the point that it was no longer a disaster to forget the charger is a time we fondly remember, and some of us, but correctly as you say not all, would gladly carry a few more grams to relive that time, even in the time of USB.

OK- understandable.  So here's my follow-up:

That seems like an extreme scenario- and one that might not be replicated.  If it is a common occurrence; however, might I suggest carrying a case with an external battery.

 

I travel regularly- while not international, I do go; for example, to my Hawaii lab about 3-4 times a year.  For cases like that, I bought the following:

Battery Bank - $23.99

The reason I dislike the thought of sacrificing weight and thinness for a bigger battery is- in 99% of my life my battery life is fine.  I'd wager yours might be similar- or else you'd be so fed up you'd have tossed your phone in the dumpster already.  I'd rather not burden myself for that blue moon problem I have, when I can buy a $24 item that prevents me from ever running out of juice that 1% I travel a long distance.  Currently, you carry a dumb phone- probably weighs more than my battery bank.  ;) 

 

I already know the rebuttal, and I get it.  "I shouldnt have to have a case with a battery or a battery bank- it should just have better life".  Ok, fine.  Thats understandable.  But for me, I want less weight.  If they can do it with more battery-efficient hardware and software, wouldn't that be a win-win for everyone?  Eventually we hit diminishing returns.  Someone, somewhere uses their batteries faster than you- so do we only go to the point where you're happy?  Or keep going until everyone is?

Bottom line- it'll be improved annually- without sacrificing form, function, or performance- and I, for one, am ok with that.


Edited by Andysol - 7/7/14 at 12:03pm

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #84 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post
 

OK- understandable.  So here's my follow-up:

That seems like an extreme scenario- and one that might not be replicated.  If it is a common occurrence; however, might I suggest carrying a case with an external battery.

 

I travel regularly- while not international, I do go; for example, to my Hawaii lab about 3-4 times a year.  For cases like that, I bought the following:

Battery Bank - $23.99

The reason I dislike the thought of sacrificing weight and thinness for a bigger battery is- in 99% of my life my battery life is fine.  I'd wager yours might be similar- or else you'd be so fed up you'd have tossed your phone in the dumpster already.  I'd rather not burden myself for that blue moon problem I have, when I can buy a $24 item that prevents me from ever running out of juice that 1% I travel a long distance.  Currently, you carry a dumb phone- probably weighs more than my battery bank.  ;) 

 

I already know the rebuttal, and I get it.  "I shouldnt have to have a case with a battery or a battery bank- it should just have better life".  Ok, fine.  Thats understandable.  But for me, I want less weight.  If they can do it with more battery-efficient hardware and software, wouldn't that be a win-win for everyone?  Eventually we hit diminishing returns.  Someone, somewhere uses their batteries faster than you- so do we only go to the point where you're happy?  Or keep going until everyone is?

Bottom line- it'll be improved annually- without sacrificing form, function, or performance- and I, for one, am ok with that.

I do have several of the solutions like that, including a number of battery cases that no longer fit, so I have resorted to my old dumb-phone as backup. And change to what? My son's HTC is a pretty good piece of merchandise, and is has the larger screen that he wanted (and if he wanted a Samsung I told him to pay for it himself). The size was the reason he refused to have an iPhone, but battery wise it is not better, and it doesn't run iOS. I am perfectly happy with having the best phone available, but you very rarely see anything that is perfect and even the iPhone is not for my uses, only the best.

post #85 of 127
Originally Posted by RPT View Post

I have used Apple products where available since the SE...

 

So what? I still have five Apple ][. Is my argument any more valid because of that?

 

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
2) Newcomer? Really?! 1oyvey.gif

 

Hey, it was a pretty good joke. :lol: 

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #86 of 127
I have three mobile phones, an iPhone 4, Nexus 5 and Nokia 630. The iPhone's battery outlasts the other two and I have no doubt the battery life on the iPhone 6 will be better than all all of the previous iPhones to date.
post #87 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post
 
i typically charge my phone once a day and have never had to laugh at the battery because its lasted me 24 hours. sometimes more.

Same here. I know this is an over generalization but I think people who routinely run out of battery before the end of the day have bigger problems than battery capacity. They need a better life. If you are never home and don't have a job with a power source and all you do is stay on your device all day then you should try changing your lifestyle not your phone. People who have jobs, home life, spend time parenting, in conversation with family, exercise, cook, dine, etc always seem to have plenty of battery left at the end of the day. Perhaps if you do have some battery heavy activities like gaming, mapping or video then I can see some power implications, but even with video Apple claims that iPhone 5s lasts 10 hours.

 

An average waking day is 16 hours. I find it unusual that someone would spend 10 hours on the phone with high battery usage apps. Just a crazy way to live in my opinion, and with that and $3.00, you can get a cup of bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #88 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

So what? I still have five Apple ][. Is my argument any more valid because of that?

 

 

Hey, it was a pretty good joke. :lol: 

I have seen a lot of your arguments, as I have seen Solips arguments and I don't believe they are good just because of membership seniority nor ownership of Apple products.

 

However, even in a time with an abundance of commenters with single digits of comments and no seniority trolling here, I think a little bit more constructive criticism of Apple, and tolerance for that, could elevate this site.

post #89 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post
 

Same here. I know this is an over generalization but I think people who routinely run out of battery before the end of the day have bigger problems than battery capacity. They need a better life. If you are never home and don't have a job with a power source and all you do is stay on your device all day then you should try changing your lifestyle not your phone. People who have jobs, home life, spend time parenting, in conversation with family, exercise, cook, dine, etc always seem to have plenty of battery left at the end of the day. Perhaps if you do have some battery heavy activities like gaming, mapping or video then I can see some power implications, but even with video Apple claims that iPhone 5s lasts 10 hours.

 

An average waking day is 16 hours. I find it unusual that someone would spend 10 hours on the phone with high battery usage apps. Just a crazy way to live in my opinion, and with that and $3.00, you can get a cup of bad coffee.

Also it's not like a standard Apple wall charger and 2 meter cord weigh all that much: when I'm here at work I routinely plug it in (to a charger and cord  I just leave here), though there are also many days I can't bother, like today: and here we are: 3:45 PM, 41 minutes use, 5 Hours, 50 minutes standby and 87% indicated charge remaining.... 

post #90 of 127
Lots of trolls... Paid by samdung here today ! It is so obviouse it is laughable !

My 5s goes through a whole day of normal use and im left with 50 to 40% at the end if the day..
post #91 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post
 

 

Nice try.  And welcome to Apple Insider.  We get plenty of newbies here.

And plenty of trolls too.  Paid and not paid.  They're easy to spot.

 

Troll... I've been reading this website for nearly a decade. It really isn't something so hard to believe. I've had my 5s run down after 4 hours usage regularly this year. 

post #92 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shev View Post
 

 

Troll... I've been reading this website for nearly a decade. It really isn't something so hard to believe. I've had my 5s run down after 4 hours usage regularly this year. 

Have you considered taking it into the Apple store and having them run a diagnostic on it?  4 hour drains through regular usage are absolutely not normal.  What if it ends up being a rogue app as another user earlier mentioned?  Or if it's defective in some way?

 

A personal note- my wife took her gold 5s in about 2 weeks ago that we got on release day in because the speakers were all muffled sounding.  She assumed it was because she has it in her sports bra when she does cardio and sweats (don't ask).  When they plugged it in- keep in mind this info is coming from my wife- the diagnostic said it had something defective that was draining the battery and he asked if she noticed her battery life was less than her old 5.  She didn't notice, but regardless, they replaced it without a question.

 

So before you criticize, there is a distinct possibility yours could be defective- be it hardware or software.  40 million iPhones- theres gonna be some that aren't perfect.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #93 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Honestly guys I have to shake my head when I see posts in these forums saying iPad is fast enough. It isn't even close even with run of the mill software I use. Hesitation is a bad thing. I see T as having low standards for acceptable performance if iPAd performance is seen as good enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Come on Andy you can do better than this! I may not agree with it promise about battery life but A7 is not enough even for the current catalog of apps and OS behaviors. IOS 8 "might" fix some of the performance problems but then again it might not.

Wiz -- Not arguing with you here, but what software are you seeing hesitation with? I have to ask that because I haven't encountered it on an iPad but I've seen it on other brands of tablets.

That said, I'd buy the next iPad in a heartbeat because it will have something about it I want. 1wink.gif

I know some users are looking for the A8 to be faster and may even use less energy. I don't know what we may see from a new chip but Apple wouldn't design a new chip unless it was going to deliver something to the user — or why bother?
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #94 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The point is he's wrong and/or lying. The batteries have gotten larger, not smaller as the casings have gotten thinner.

You're still missing the point. The point is that they could have been EVEN LARGER were it not for the quest for thin.
post #95 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post
 

Have you considered taking it into the Apple store and having them run a diagnostic on it?  4 hour drains through regular usage are absolutely not normal.  What if it ends up being a rogue app as another user earlier mentioned?  Or if it's defective in some way?

 

A personal note- my wife took her gold 5s in about 2 weeks ago that we got on release day in because the speakers were all muffled sounding.  She assumed it was because she has it in her sports bra when she does cardio and sweats (don't ask).  When they plugged it in- keep in mind this info is coming from my wife- the diagnostic said it had something defective that was draining the battery and he asked if she noticed her battery life was less than her old 5.  She didn't notice, but regardless, they replaced it without a question.

 

So before you criticize, there is a distinct possibility yours could be defective- be it hardware or software.  40 million iPhones- theres gonna be some that aren't perfect.

 

 

Yeah, maybe it is a defective battery. Couple of screenshots I've taken recently. I personally don't find that acceptable for a smartphone in 2014 and I'm waiting for the '6' reviews to see how it's battery holds up against the competition. Continuity in Yosemite is the only thing keeping me from jumping to the One M8 right now if I'm honest.

 

 

post #96 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

You're still missing the point. The point is that they could have been EVEN LARGER were it not for the quest for thin.

No, his point was that the battery was getting smaller. That's a lie. The fact that they could add a larger battery is so obvious it's stupid as no said that Apple couldn't. They choose to make their devices thinner whilst adding a larger battery. If you don't like that then don't buy from Apple or buy a Mophie JuicePack. They decide what they want to sell and you decide if you want to buy it or not. Neither of those are reasons for someone to make shit up.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #97 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shev View Post

Yeah, maybe it is a defective battery. Couple of screenshots I've taken recently. I personally don't find that acceptable for a smartphone in 2014 and I'm waiting for the '6' reviews to see how it's battery holds up against the competition. Continuity in Yosemite is the only thing keeping me from jumping to the One M8 right now if I'm honest.

[images]

There is simply no way to tell from those screenshots but the fact that you have a single dot(bar) for your cellular strength does mean the phone is boosting the single strength which means the battery will be drained a lot faster. Any way to test your iPhone when you have 5 dots(bars)?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #98 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


There is simply no way to tell from those screenshots but the fact that you have a single dot(bar) for your cellular strength does mean the phone is boosting the single strength which means the battery will be drained a lot faster. Any way to test your iPhone when you have 5 dots(bars)?

 

I'd normally have 3 bars all day and only 1 bar at home so don't think it's that. Don't think I've ever seen it hit 5 bars thinking about it.

post #99 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shev View Post

I'd normally have 3 bars all day and only 1 bar at home so don't think it's that. Don't think I've ever seen it hit 5 bars thinking about it.

Not ever having a great connection sounds like an issue to me.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #100 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Total BS! First A7 is no where near fast enough to realize the full potential of iPad and neither will be A8 if Apple continues to follow the pattern set up with A7. IPad is severely limited due to the lack of computational horsepower, not just GPU power.
Think all you want but you might try to imagine a future with far more advanced apps running on the platform! There is huge potential in the iPad as a concept that can only be tapped with much higher performance in the computational elements. This means fast CPUs, more and faster RAM and beefing up the SSD.

Ever since that Apple-bashing Samsung crap ad about batteries, I've seen a LOT more trolls like you rolling around here at AI, and most other Apple sites. Quite coincidental, don't you think?

 

The A7 is one of THE MOST, if not THE MOST powerful mobile SoC available on the market, period, and you're calling it and the iPad a concept? STFU twirp.

post #101 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shev View Post
 

 

I'd normally have 3 bars all day and only 1 bar at home so don't think it's that. Don't think I've ever seen it hit 5 bars thinking about it.

You might glance at your apps usage and see if anything is going nuts in the background, I've some weather and other apps that draw a lot of data which I expect translates to battery power in it's way. I expect that's part of the rationale for the One M8 "extreme" power saver option that just shuts a lot of stuff down globally, rather than Apple's approach of having to do that selectively.

post #102 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Not ever having a great connection sounds like an issue to me.

A test for that might be airplane mode? Then selectively turn on WiFi and see what happens. Both shots show good WiFi reception.

post #103 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

A test for that might be airplane mode? Then selectively turn on WiFi and see what happens. Both shots show good WiFi reception.

If he can go with standard phone calls for awhile that would be a great test that would exclude the cellular HW from the equation.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #104 of 127
Is it common for people to misspell "losing" as "loosing" on the forums? Or are the people doing it one and same person with multiple sock accounts?

Because I've never seen this mistake made elsewhere in social media. Just these forums. It's not even a common mistake, like confusing "you're and your" or confusing "who's and whose".

Explain, please.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #105 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Is it common for people to misspell "losing" as "loosing" on the forums? Or are the people doing it one and same person with multiple sock accounts?

Because I've never seen this mistake made elsewhere in social media. Just these forums. It's not even a common mistake, like confusing "you're and your" or confusing "who's and whose".

Explain, please.

It's common on forums because of the fast nature of the writing which mirrors a spoken conversation more than an article. It has nothing to do with no not knowing the difference between the words.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #106 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


If he can go with standard phone calls for awhile that would be a great test that would exclude the cellular HW from the equation.

Maybe it's just me- but I'd make an appt with Apple, go check out the new pro in person, and be in and out in 30 mins.  :smokey:

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #107 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Is it common for people to misspell "losing" as "loosing" on the forums? Or are the people doing it one and same person with multiple sock accounts?

Because I've never seen this mistake made elsewhere in social media. Just these forums. It's not even a common mistake, like confusing "you're and your" or confusing "who's and whose".

Explain, please.

Look- I dont know whose it is your talking about, but you need to loose the attitude

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #108 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Is it common for people to misspell "losing" as "loosing" on the forums? Or are the people doing it one and same person with multiple sock accounts?

Because I've never seen this mistake made elsewhere in social media. Just these forums. It's not even a common mistake, like confusing "you're and your" or confusing "who's and whose".

Explain, please.

 

I think that it's common. I've seen it before.

 

A great many people simply do not know how to spell properly. Everybody makes typos every once in a while, but many people do not even have a basic grasp of the English language.

 

I've seen people mixing up losing and loosing before, though it's not as common as they're and their, you're and your, etc.

 

And yes, I am definitely a grammar nazi. I will judge people and look down upon them if I notice that they do not know how to use simple words like they're and their. And I don't think that I am the only one to judge. A person's online appearance on a forum is their words, and if their words are ignorant and spelled incorrectly, then they are likely to be seen as being not too bright, and people are less likely to trust any facts or statements coming from people who type like they are in kindergarten. If people are not interested in coming across as smart or educated on the internet, then they can simply keep repeating their ignorant mistakes, while they refuse to learn anything. 

post #109 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post
 
And yes, I am definitely a grammar nazi. I will judge people and look down upon them if I notice that they do not know how to use simple words like they're and their. 
 
Although this is primarily a USA site, there are also many foreign posters who are using English as a second language. When your system preferences are set to some language other than English, every word shows up as misspelled while trying to type in English. It is not too difficult for us to identify those situations and perhaps a little forgiveness for grammatical and spelling mistakes would be in order.  

 

Often for me it really depends on the quality of the content despite the typos. A lot of people are suffering from iOS error prone keyboards as well as auto correct insanity.  

 

But I agree with you on judging users who post ludicrous comments in conjunction with poor English writing skills. 

 

I am also annoyed by typos by the article authors. That to me is inexcusable because it is supposed to be journalism. 

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #110 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

This is Apple's biggest fault:  They prioritize form over function.    Beautiful design and slimness is great, but it's worthless if you can't use the phone because the battery is dead. 

What's going to sell more phones:  a slimmer phone or a longer battery life?  I'd gladly buy a thicker phone for longer battery life. 

It's also a ridiculous compromise because most people put their phone into a case and once you do that, any semblance of its former thinness is gone anyway.    So Apple's phone will look great in ads, but not in real life.   At least not until they develop the technology to create a phone that doesn't need a case. 

(To Apple's credit, my iPhone5 slipped out of my pocket onto a concrete subway platform and then down onto the tracks and suffered absolutely no damage.  It was not in a case at the time.)

Obviously the marketplace disagrees with your observations and conclusions since the iPhone outsells all other high end models. And apparently your "worthless" comment is in direct conflict with the fact that you own an iPhone.
post #111 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shev View Post

If this turns out to be true then I think this may be the year I actually ditch the iPhone since using one for 7 years. The battery on the iPhones is laughable.

Apple still does not get it that battery life is much more important than thinness. still playing catch up to Android oem

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

Reply

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

Reply
post #112 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


You did read the article right, they would be increasing battery life! Combined with a new generation of electronics that should be a big win.

oh yeah maybe we can get an extra 10 minute to add to an average 5-6 hrs battery life on my 5s wow! 

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

Reply

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

Reply
post #113 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPT View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


And what battery life was sacrificed when the device is more power efficient and has an increased battery capacity resulting in longer duration of use for the same tasks?

The better battery life that would have resulted if they didn't choose to reduce the thickness, which is the single most criticized feature by the 5000+ users of the iPhone where I work.

 

Luckily, we don't all have to work in an environment that desires ugliness.

iPad a Dream.
Reply
iPad a Dream.
Reply
post #114 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shev View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post
 

Have you considered taking it into the Apple store and having them run a diagnostic on it?  4 hour drains through regular usage are absolutely not normal.  What if it ends up being a rogue app as another user earlier mentioned?  Or if it's defective in some way?

 

A personal note- my wife took her gold 5s in about 2 weeks ago that we got on release day in because the speakers were all muffled sounding.  She assumed it was because she has it in her sports bra when she does cardio and sweats (don't ask).  When they plugged it in- keep in mind this info is coming from my wife- the diagnostic said it had something defective that was draining the battery and he asked if she noticed her battery life was less than her old 5.  She didn't notice, but regardless, they replaced it without a question.

 

So before you criticize, there is a distinct possibility yours could be defective- be it hardware or software.  40 million iPhones- theres gonna be some that aren't perfect.

 

 

Yeah, maybe it is a defective battery. Couple of screenshots I've taken recently. I personally don't find that acceptable for a smartphone in 2014 and I'm waiting for the '6' reviews to see how it's battery holds up against the competition. Continuity in Yosemite is the only thing keeping me from jumping to the One M8 right now if I'm honest.

 

 

 

 

I notice that you have a very weak cellular reception, which is notorious with all phones for draining the battery quickly. Do you live in the sticks?

 

I addition, I don't believe you own an iPad, so I imagine you do everything on your iPhone. 

iPad a Dream.
Reply
iPad a Dream.
Reply
post #115 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Is it common for people to misspell "losing" as "loosing" on the forums? Or are the people doing it one and same person with multiple sock accounts?

Because I've never seen this mistake made elsewhere in social media. Just these forums. It's not even a common mistake, like confusing "you're and your" or confusing "who's and whose".

Explain, please.

 

I see it all over the place. The best thing to do is to correct someone who makes a mistake, rather than cowering behind a post to no-one. 

 

Your own post contained several grammatical errors. Life is short.

iPad a Dream.
Reply
iPad a Dream.
Reply
post #116 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Is it common for people to misspell "losing" as "loosing" on the forums? Or are the people doing it one and same person with multiple sock accounts?

Because I've never seen this mistake made elsewhere in social media. Just these forums. It's not even a common mistake, like confusing "you're and your" or confusing "who's and whose".

Explain, please.

It's common on forums because of the fast nature of the writing which mirrors a spoken conversation more than an article. It has nothing to do with no not knowing the difference between the words.

 

No; I believe it's a common mistake that people make. Autocorrect doesn't correct it because loose is a legitimate word.

iPad a Dream.
Reply
iPad a Dream.
Reply
post #117 of 127
Sapphire has a slightly lower transparency. You need more for backlight.

Add to that the larger screen.

I think this largely going to be a wash.
post #118 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

Sapphire has a slightly lower transparency. You need more for backlight.

Add to that the larger screen.

I think this largely going to be a wash.

Sorry, but if that were true, Apple wouldn't be using Sapphire in their camera optics, and those optics are very fast and let TONS of light thru, so I call complete BS on your comment.

post #119 of 127
Moissanite is an even harder material than Sapphire. Is Apple looking into Moissanite glass screens?
post #120 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post
 

Sorry, but if that were true, Apple wouldn't be using Sapphire in their camera optics, and those optics are very fast and let TONS of light thru, so I call complete BS on your comment.

 

Refractive index of sapphire: 1.76

Refractive index of Gorilla Glass: 1.5

 

That doesn't mean that sapphire is opaque.  Just that it absorbs light a few percent more than gorilla glass.  I'm sure the trade off with durability is worthwhile for Apple and that's why they use it on the camera lens cover and hopefully (as a GTAT long) on the screen cover glass.

 

So, yes, with the higher refractive index, and the larger display, I do think this will be a wash.  What's your (science based) evidence to the contrary?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Apple to boost 4.7" 'iPhone 6' battery by 15% over iPhone 5s