or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Purported 'iPhone 6' sapphire display undergoes extreme torture test in video

Purported 'iPhone 6' sapphire display undergoes extreme torture test in video

post #1 of 92
Hours after a video purportedly revealed Apple's rumored sapphire crystal "iPhone 6" display on Monday, another short film hit the Web, this time putting the supposed part through a battery of torture tests that included knives, keys and extreme bending.

Source: Marques Brownlee via YouTube

Uploaded to YouTube by tech vlogger Marques Brownlee, the video mirrors today's earlier post by taking a close-up look at the purported iPhone 6 display, but goes further by attempting to scratch, bend and break the part. The display performed surprisingly well and came out of testing unscathed.

Brownlee said the component is made of sapphire crystal and came straight off Apple's assembly line in Asia, but provided little evidence to support his claims. A number of manufactured materials offer similar properties to those shown off in the video, including Corning's Gorilla Glass which Apple currently uses in its portable products. The glass maker said its next-generation Gorilla Glass 3 is more resistant to scratches, flexing and shattering than certain sapphire formulas.

Whatever it is made of, the rumored iPhone 6 component looks to be both extremely hard and adequately pliable, possibly to the point of negating the need for a screen protector.

Apple first used sapphire as a rear camera lens cover in the iPhone 5, then expanded deployment to the Touch ID fingerprint reader found in the iPhone 5s. With its superior scratch protection and clarity, sapphire is a preferred, yet more expensive, alternative to aluminosilicate glass.

After inking a $578 million deal with sapphire manufacturer GT Advanced Technologies in November, Apple has been widely rumored to be preparing larger installations -- like front panels -- in future iOS devices, starting with the next iPhone.

AppleInsider was first to report on Apple's sapphire-related patents, many of which suggest the company has been investigating sapphire covered displays for years. In regard to today's video, a particular property involving laminate construction comes to mind. The IP describes a method of laying up sapphire sheets with varying physical properties to increase surface hardness, while at the same time enhancing flexibility.
post #2 of 92
I've never felt the need to use a screen protector with my iPhone nor my iPad. Besides, most of them are crappy anyway.
post #3 of 92
When he put it under his shoe I thought for sure it was going to snap. Leak or not, this is great pre-advertising for Apple. This is going to be a great selling point.
post #4 of 92

The kid sounds like a pro. Sounds like he is ready for a prime time job with a TV network. The Verge or anyone that produces a lot of tech videos should snap him up with a job.

post #5 of 92
It's starting to look real and pretty damn fantastic. Ain't no way that's glass.
post #6 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingela View Post

The kid sounds like a pro. Sounds like he is ready for a prime time job with a TV network. The Verge or anyone that produces a lot of tech videos should snap him up with a job.

I think he is way too good for those gearheads at the Verge. He should have his own site, which maybe he does.
post #7 of 92
I wonder how this got out if genuine. If it is, I am glad I bough into GTAT a while back.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #8 of 92

The bend test was pretty cool.  I wish we could see a side-by-side comparison with gorilla glass. You might be surprised how flexible glass is when it's thin. 

One thing is for sure, if Apple uses a sapphire display, it will be better than gorilla glass.  Apple doesn't use gimmicks. If the material doesn't have a real world benefit, they wouldn't use it. 

post #9 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by ash471 View Post

The bend test was pretty cool.  I wish we could see a side-by-side comparison with gorilla glass. You might be surprised how flexible glass is when it's thin. 

One thing is for sure, if Apple uses a sapphire display, it will be better than gorilla glass.  Apple doesn't use gimmicks. If the material doesn't have a real world benefit, they wouldn't use it. 

Yep, I agree with everything you said.

post #10 of 92
I thought these were coming out of Apple's sapphire plant in Arizona??? Why are these so-called sapphire panel leaks coming from Apple's assembly line in Asia?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #11 of 92
Quote:

Your first point, what looks real to me is the material's stiffness, its resistance to bending. I would expect GG to bend more at that thinness.

Your second point is true and worth pointing out. Also, they don't get credit in the stupid tech meme sphere for pushing the boundaries on materials over and over again.
post #12 of 92
So Marques Brownlee is an Apple Fanboy now??? Coz his G+ Post is so ridiculous of hating iPhone.
post #13 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I thought these were coming out of Apple's sapphire plant in Arizona??? Why are these so-called sapphire panel leaks coming from Apple's assembly line in Asia?

Well, it could be they're in Asia for assembly; might be easier to snag a sample from there than anywhere else? Who knows? I'm just guessing, obviously.

If this thing truly is a sample from the next iPhone model, Wow! 1smile.gif
post #14 of 92
Quote:

Leo Laporte from the TWiT Network has tried to hire him. He's doing very well on his own.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #15 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mejsric View Post

So Marques Brownlee is an Apple Fanboy now??? Coz his G+ Post is so ridiculous of hating iPhone.

This is the real deal. Marques has gotten other solid inside info before.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #16 of 92
Quote:

Made in Arizona, assembled in Asia.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #17 of 92
This dude needs to do a moss hardness test. Scratching a key and knife to it tells us this display is harder than the key and the knife... and nothing else. The iphone 5 would also pass that.

Long FB, AMZN
Schlong AAPL

Long FB, AMZN
Schlong AAPL

post #18 of 92
Apple edges away from the other phone makes a little bit more with this ... and it isn't like the other guys can just go buy Sapphire on the open market in any quantity. In many little ways Apple is doing the right thing in differentiating the iPhone and all the other iDevices.

I can't wait to see the new stuff in a couple months... the iOS8 with some games and other programs implementing Metal and Swift along with the App Extensions ought to be like the iDevices were totally reinvented! Life will really suck for Apple-haters. 1cool.gif
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #19 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClementineOrange View Post

This dude needs to do a moss hardness test. Scratching a key and knife to it tells us this display is harder than the key and the knife... and nothing else. The iphone 5 would also pass that.

What about that extreme flexing of the glass panel?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #20 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Quote:

Made in Arizona, assembled stolen in Asia.

Fixed that for ya...
post #21 of 92
This is the same guy who said ios 8 copied android and said nothing about android l (lollipop or nobody gives a !!!!, this is not Apple it means nothing) copied ios 7 because they copied ios 7 so much that they should it call it ios 7 rip instead of android r j I o or l, Android added widgets first? android it souldnt even exist!
Now back to topic that one is fake, phablet and ugly design that doesn't sound like apple at all, Apple is more interested to make us the perfect gadget made from diamond (sapphire) and titanium 2 (liquid metal) by AI (foxbot) easy to handle instead of uncomfortable mini tablet phone
Shamesung was the one who started those fake rumors about iPhone 6 phablet to advertise is phablets
Edited by iMember - 7/7/14 at 7:16pm

post #22 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

I think he is way too good for those gearheads at the Verge. He should have his own site, which maybe he does.

Unfortunately Boy Genius Report is already taken.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #23 of 92
Testing for sapphire by bending the thing under his shoe seems pretty lame! In fact, gorilla glass is supposed to be more flexible than sapphire, so this test shows nothing. He should give the thing to someone with equipment to actually determine what it's made of. Just checking the index of refraction would be a big clue, since sapphire is around 1.8 and gorilla glass is around 1.5.

I'm skeptical that this is actually sapphire. I think Apple is going to need all its sapphire this year to cover hundreds of millions of touch ID sensors on all its new devices. And sapphire is probably not as good as gorilla glass as a front panel material, since it's more brittle.
Edited by NormM - 7/7/14 at 7:39pm
post #24 of 92

If only the housing of the next iPhone could be dropped without leaving nasty marks.  My iPhone 5 is all scratched up on the edges and the bottom from trying to insert the damn lightning connector.  Anodizing doesn't make aluminum hard enough.  Cover the whole damn phone in sapphire!

post #25 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClementineOrange View Post

moss? like green soft stuff?

dunno about you but I don't have anything harder than keys or a knife in my pocket....
post #26 of 92
Quote:

Why?, to be more of them to tell lies about Apple?

post #27 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

If only the housing of the next iPhone could be dropped without leaving nasty marks.  My iPhone 5 is all scratched up on the edges and the bottom from trying to insert the damn lightning connector.  Anodizing doesn't make aluminum hard enough.  Cover the whole damn phone in sapphire!
How can plugging in the lightening connector be that difficult?
post #28 of 92
It would be extreme torture to wear shoes that ugly.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #29 of 92

Sweet! I am so ready.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #30 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave MacLachlan View Post

Well, it could be they're in Asia for assembly; might be easier to snag a sample from there than anywhere else? Who knows? I'm just guessing, obviously.

If this thing truly is a sample from the next iPhone model, Wow! 1smile.gif

If true, then it sounds like those factories have a rampant parts theft problem.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #31 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

You must be sober all the time. :smokey:

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #32 of 92

Dude needs to buy some new shoes. It looks like he's going bowling.

And if that is indeed a genuine iPhone 6 part, then why isn't Apple busting down his door, and retrieving their stolen property?

It makes no difference if he is not the one who stole the part. The thief either gave it or sold it to him, and being in possession of stolen property is not legal, last I checked.

post #33 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Dude needs to buy some new shoes. It looks like he's going bowling.

And if that is indeed a genuine iPhone 6 part, then why isn't Apple busting down his door, and retrieving their stolen property?

It makes no difference if he is not the one who stole the part. The thief either gave it or sold it to him, and being in possession of stolen property is not legal, last I checked.

That would probably only serve to confirm its legitimacy after the fact, because the video has already been released, so the damage is done. Getting it back would not change anything at this point.

EDIT: the other possibility is that it is fake.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #34 of 92
Quote:

If true, I take back what I said about him. Wish there was a link.
post #35 of 92
Quote:

That would probably only serve to confirm its legitimacy after the fact, because the video has already been released, so the damage is done. Getting it back would not change anything at this point.

EDIT: the other possibility is that it is fake.

It could lead Apple to the source, to the criminal who stole it.

Of course, there's always the possibility that it is fake, but if it is genuine, then I would prefer that Apple doubles down on secrecy, like they mentioned a while back.

post #36 of 92
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post
Made in Arizona, assembled in Asia.

It’s psychotic that this is how some things are made...

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

post #37 of 92
Seriously?

If Apple is to deliver new iPhones in the late August -September time frame they have to get production debugged and ramped up! Even now they are cutting it close because they would need at least a full months production before release date simply to have suitable stock for the mad rush. Considering previous releases they likely would need close to three month production.

I work in a different industry but launches can make or break a product so I'm not surprised at all to find this material in Asia. It is good to see these leaks, now only if we could get a leak related to the Mini!

Quote:

post #38 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It’s psychotic that this is how some things are made...

If things are heading towards more robots and less humans, then why can't that be done in the USA? Does a robot cost that much more to operate in the US instead of China? Apple, being all green like they are, can build a huge plant with hundreds of thousands of robots, if not millions, all powered by solar.

It's good that Apple is making the Mac Pros in the USA now, but eventually I'd like to see more USA based production of other Apple products. Screw the foreign workers, just eliminate most of them. 

post #39 of 92
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post
If things are heading towards more robots and less humans, then why can't that be done in the USA? Does a robot cost that much more to operate in the US instead of China? Apple, being all green like they are, can build a huge plant with hundreds of thousands of robots, if not millions, all powered by solar.

Exactly. We’ll bring manufacturing–and jobs–back here. Not the 100,000 menial factory line jobs that we would have needed in the 1980s, but that’s for the best.

post #40 of 92
Quote:

yes, his reviews are great.

Quote:

When he put it under his shoe I thought for sure it was going to snap. Leak or not, this is great pre-advertising for Apple. This is going to be a great selling point.
yep

Quote:

It's starting to look real and pretty damn fantastic. Ain't no way that's glass.
Yep
Quote:

Yep
Quote:

What apple does, while Samsung is plastic, apple is saphire, basically diamond.

Quote:

He seems to compare everything else to apple. Plus you notice he owns a Mac Pro connected to two 4k displays(as well he uses MacBooks for examples)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMember View Post

This is the same guy who said ios 8 copied android and said nothing about android l (lollipop or nobody gives a !!!!, this is not Apple it means nothing) copied ios 7 because they copied ios 7 so much that they should it call it ios 7 rip instead of android r j I o or l, Android added widgets first? android it souldnt even exist!
Now back to topic that one is fake, phablet and ugly design that doesn't sound like apple at all, Apple is more interested to make us the perfect gadget made from diamond (sapphire) and titanium 2 (liquid metal) by AI (foxbot) easy to handle instead of uncomfortable mini tablet phone
Shamesung was the one who started those fake rumors about iPhone 6 phablet to advertise is phablets
100% true
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

if there having shortages 50% saphire device don't you think double would hurt more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

some people like android devices where they can just replace the cord the device each week.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Purported 'iPhone 6' sapphire display undergoes extreme torture test in video
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Purported 'iPhone 6' sapphire display undergoes extreme torture test in video