or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Purported 'iPhone 6' sapphire display undergoes extreme torture test in video
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Purported 'iPhone 6' sapphire display undergoes extreme torture test in video - Page 3

post #81 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Okay, something is not quite right with that video. I am not saying it is not sapphire crystal, when he tapped on it with the knife it did not sound right, It had dull sound. I have my sapphire crystal watch and just did the same thing and it tings like a crystal wine glass, verse a dull dud of a plane water glass. Crystal structures have a distinct sound that make so it not sounding as if it is pure sapphire crystal. They much be doing something else here.

Maybe apple is depositing sapphire crystal onto gorilla glass or something similar Thus the reason it is not scratching and it has a dull sound.

I don't know anything about Sapphire glass, but just going by the video's that you linked to it should produce a dull thud. Perhaps someone just told you that your watch was sapphire?
post #82 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingela View Post

None of us here are exactly sure if this is Sapphire or Gorilla Glass based on a video. Either way, why make such definitive statements one way or another when no one yet knows. 

The guy in the video was claiming it was sapphire but then later says "if it's sapphire." He doesn't know and yet he has it in his hand... Too bad he's a YouTuber and not a scientist. I suppose it doesn't matter what the hell it is as long as it is that shatterproof and durable, right? Assuming it really is the front iPhone 6 panel.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #83 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric38 View Post

Watch the first 5 seconds of this video to get an idea of the sapphire that Apple may be working with. This piece shown can't even support it's own weight, and it's only a couple inches in diameter.


https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uLwARB1qlI4


I agree. If the part is indeed sapphire, this is exactly what Apple is using. It fits the bill perfectly.

Techcrunch sums it up nicely here

 

http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/11/apple-fires-its-ion-cannons/


Edited by Ingela - 7/8/14 at 4:05pm
post #84 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingela View Post
 

The kid sounds like a pro. Sounds like he is ready for a prime time job with a TV network. The Verge or anyone that produces a lot of tech videos should snap him up with a job.

I've been watching him.  He's always been well spoken but recently he's gotten his setup at home with a Mac Pro looking good and the video quality has improved a lot.  

He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #85 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingela View Post


I agree. If the part is indeed sapphire, this is exactly what Apple is using. It fits the bill perfectly.


Techcrunch sums it up nicely here

http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/11/apple-fires-its-ion-cannons/

Thanks. That's a great article. 1smile.gif
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #86 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Sweet! I am so ready.

I noticed that Herbert Hayman died recently. Apparently, he was a bigwig in improving American coffee; wondered if you knew of him.
iPad a Dream.
Reply
iPad a Dream.
Reply
post #87 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It’s psychotic that this is how some things are made...

If things are heading towards more robots and less humans, then why can't that be done in the USA? Does a robot cost that much more to operate in the US instead of China? Apple, being all green like they are, can build a huge plant with hundreds of thousands of robots, if not millions, all powered by solar.

It's good that Apple is making the Mac Pros in the USA now, but eventually I'd like to see more USA based production of other Apple products. Screw the foreign workers, just eliminate most of them. 

Sounds good, but I think you would still need a substantial number of human workers, and I presume that the wage is much less in China. One day, maybe, but I doubt it will be possible for a while yet.
iPad a Dream.
Reply
iPad a Dream.
Reply
post #88 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric38 View Post

Watch the first 5 seconds of this video to get an idea of the sapphire that Apple may be working with. This piece shown can't even support it's own weight, and it's only a couple inches in diameter.


https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uLwARB1qlI4

okay that explains what Apple may be doing, they can create what they call a Sapphire Laminate which can be bonded to other materials, ie GG3. This could very well be what Apple is doing and what the material we seeing in the video is not responding as one might expect if it was just all sapphire crystal.

post #89 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post
 

okay that explains what Apple may be doing, they can create what they call a Sapphire Laminate which can be bonded to other materials, ie GG3. This could very well be what Apple is doing and what the material we seeing in the video is not responding as one might expect if it was just all sapphire crystal.

Except that it cannot be bonded to glass and bend like that. That is Gorilla Glass or something just like it. So why would Apple pay for both Gorilla Glass and sapphire production? Would the benefits from both really be worth the additional expense?

post #90 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by wigby View Post
 

Except that it cannot be bonded to glass and bend like that. That is Gorilla Glass or something just like it. So why would Apple pay for both Gorilla Glass and sapphire production? Would the benefits from both really be worth the additional expense?

How do you know that? I have not seen anything which indicates its limitations.

 

Say it is able to be bonded to GG3, it may limit the ability of the GG3 to bend thus what we saw in the video 3 which not an issue since your phone does not bend. The benefit would be a display which would not break or scratch, you get the benefit of both materials. If you research GG you will find it does in fact scratch and at those scratch points it become point where a fracture can happen and break. GG does not break as long as the surface it not marked.

 

Also, Expense is not an issue Apple worries about as long as the perceived value is a lot higher then the actual cost. This is actually one thing Apple does really well at unlike most companies. They know what things add a higher perceived value by the consumer and the things they are willing to pay more for. They also know what feature consumers are willing to do without. The simple example on the phone is memory expansion, this continues to be a big point the competition keeps point out that Apple lacks, but is has not harmed their sales nor has it boosted the sales of the competition. Therefore consumer perceived value to memory expansion is low.

post #91 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by wigby View Post
 

Except that it cannot be bonded to glass and bend like that. That is Gorilla Glass or something just like it. So why would Apple pay for both Gorilla Glass and sapphire production? Would the benefits from both really be worth the additional expense?

You are talking nonsense. This is possible and a thin laminate over GG2 or GG3 would bend like this.

 

However, as you say, why bother with both GG3 and sapphire?

Good question.

Personally I think we are going to see plastic screens with a sapphire laminate.

It'd be lighter, thinner and far less likely to smash. Not to mention cheaper to produce and easier to work with.

post #92 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post
 

How do you know that? I have not seen anything which indicates its limitations.

 

Say it is able to be bonded to GG3, it may limit the ability of the GG3 to bend thus what we saw in the video 3 which not an issue since your phone does not bend. The benefit would be a display which would not break or scratch, you get the benefit of both materials. If you research GG you will find it does in fact scratch and at those scratch points it become point where a fracture can happen and break. GG does not break as long as the surface it not marked.

 

Also, Expense is not an issue Apple worries about as long as the perceived value is a lot higher then the actual cost. This is actually one thing Apple does really well at unlike most companies. They know what things add a higher perceived value by the consumer and the things they are willing to pay more for. They also know what feature consumers are willing to do without. The simple example on the phone is memory expansion, this continues to be a big point the competition keeps point out that Apple lacks, but is has not harmed their sales nor has it boosted the sales of the competition. Therefore consumer perceived value to memory expansion is low.

This video shows the mystery material bending as far as gorilla glass bends. It doesn't seem to be inhibited at all by the sapphire. So I either question the video's authenticity or the reason for additional expense.

 

Apple doesn't maintain great margins by spending

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post
 

You are talking nonsense. This is possible and a thin laminate over GG2 or GG3 would bend like this.

 

However, as you say, why bother with both GG3 and sapphire?

Good question.

Personally I think we are going to see plastic screens with a sapphire laminate.

It'd be lighter, thinner and far less likely to smash. Not to mention cheaper to produce and easier to work with.

So Apple is going to release a new iPhone with a slightly thicker screen that costs them more??? They better sell the hell out of that sapphire to justify it's value to the customer.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Purported 'iPhone 6' sapphire display undergoes extreme torture test in video
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Purported 'iPhone 6' sapphire display undergoes extreme torture test in video