or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung predicts massive profit decline, blames slumping smartphone sales
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung predicts massive profit decline, blames slumping smartphone sales - Page 4

post #121 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by ash471 View Post
 

Sounds easy on paper, but I think Tizen would be a disaster.  Samsung customers are like Microsoft customers.  They didn't care about performance to begin with, which is why they chose Samsung (or Microsoft) in the first place.  Once they learned how to use their shitty software, the worst thing you can do to them is make them learn new shitty software.  Look at Microsoft XP customers. MS can't get them to upgrade over a decade later. Every new MS OS release is followed by years of bitching.  While quality shares part of the blame, a big part of it is the customers. Think about it, if the Samdung customers were smart enough or wealthy enough to select good software, they wouldn't be using Samdung or MS in the first place.  The galaxy S owners over the age of 50 are the one exception. They need the bigger screen to avoid using reading glasses.     

 

Also, Samsung just tried Tizen on some of its watches and it didn't go well.  They are now going to release watches for Android.  If Samsung experiments with Tizen on the Galaxy S phones, I think it will be very short lived.

 

I am going to go ahead and guess you have little experience actually using android, let alone a galaxy s5.  there are some really nice things one can do with android and on the samsung s5. And let's face it- neither of us know much about how great Tizen can be, as i doubt you touched the watch that had the software. A watch is not a good identifier of how the software would be on a phone. The best thing Samsung could do it to distance itself from android.

 

How great was iOS on the iPod shuffle? How well did that sell? Let's not pretend that Apple has never had a flop. Great company? No doubts, innovative and pushing hard for the future, i love every Apple product i have ever bought. But you cannot presume to know about Tizen and Samsung's choices regarding the software because no one bought the watch it was on- nearly no one bought the iOS laden iPod shuffle with a screen, and so Apple changed it back.  

 

There are probably more power users on android than there is iOS, because android lets you roll up your sleeves and do some extra. 

 

And microsoft is not even in the same league when it comes to the smartphone sphere, they should not have been brought up in the first place. The performance on the S5 is better than any other android crap i have ever messed around with.  

post #122 of 175

no samsung products

they steal ip   look at their dyson look alike

they are bullies and don't innovate  

when my samsung washer dryer goes  i'll replace with whirlpool

 

its the same reason i don't steal music, movies etc    the creator needs to be  rewarded for creating

samsung the thief

I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
post #123 of 175
I got IPhone 4 it is 3 years old it takes less time too charge than my S3 which is iPod now and it is little over year old it takes 61/2 hours to charge from 0% to 100% my HTC ONE is four months old it takes 51/2 hours to charge from 0% to 100% now my iPhone 4 which is iPod now takes two hours to charge from 0% to 100% the very worse app in all three is Google Plus it freezes then crashes on the S3 Google will crash when I am in Facebook even when I am in my Photo Gallery the S3 lousy on apps but it does have lot bell and whistles for photos which Apple does not have only problem Apple have is on the apps when they update on third party apps they do not work all the time or they do not work at all plus you can not get help to fix those apps from the third party apps not even Apple will help you I found out they will not fix them only the third-party app company can
post #124 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Samsung is not good in business.

They got lucky.  Flat out.  They stumbled upon making GIAGANTIC screens and the market ate it up.  There would always be a huge market for Android phones because of price.  Samsung was just the lucky one.  It will only go down hill from now on.  Profits are down 25% and top end unit sales are down 35%.  Soon they will need to cut marketing and that will lessen sales even more.  The Chinese companies will destroy Samsung's mid-range phones and they will be forced to cut prices even more.

Can you say Nokia 2.0?
No, Samsung just has no growth path.

Eventually they run out of places to expand into, and without offering something better than the competitor, what did they expect? Apple is the innovator. Samsung is not. Google is not.

Google was originally trying to copy the Blackberry, before the blackberry tanked because everyone was switching the much nicer better iPhone. So all existing Android devices are this ugly middle ground of crappy low/mid-tier device with crappy development tools. Add into fact that the Android platform is also heavily pirated, and you have this perfect storm of nobody wants to use the device, nobody wants to develop for the device, and nobody cares enough to update the device into something that is "better" than the iPhone.

Samsung needs to ultimately dump Android if they want to offer anything compelling to switch from the iOS ecosystem. They won't succeed because they are not invested in doing that. Tizen might offer Samsung an out, but I think unless Samsung starts marketing the Tizen devices as higher tier devices than the Android devices (which I doubt) it's just going to add more fragmentation to Samsung's product line, and I doubt it will convince iOS developers/users to switch either.
post #125 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post
 


Agreed. It's pretty widely known that the phone 6 will have some large screen options, and that's the reason many Sam sung owners bought their phones anyway. Give them a choice to get a modern, fresh OS, amazing hardware crafted by Ive & Co, and a large screen? They'll be lining up around the globe.

 

iOS is defiantly fastly becoming an OS that I can finally embrace. I'm however still waiting for a proper file manager that I can use to not only logon to all of my Cloud storage from a single app but my NAS and local data as well. I use a file manager as my starting point when I use devices like my Nexus 10, instead of going to a specific application to open up a file I go to the actually file itself and then select the app that I want to use to open and manipulate. When I open up a file from my File Manager, ES File Explorer, whatever program I use it will save that file to whatever location in which the file was originally opened up from as Cloud storage is mounted locally.  This way of handling files is head over heals better then anything that I can do in iOS. However It looks like iOS 8 just actually might make my dreams come true.

 

Now that there are third party keyboards as well I am also hoping that we can finally choose a default browser other than Safari. Yes, Safari is an okay browser but I've found when dealing with many online apps, like my favorite IDE's, Chrome or Opera works better, in some cases Safari can't even display them. I would also like to see Apple allowing other web browsers that don't utilize webkit. I really enjoy using my iPad because of the many wonderful music apps and the buttery smoothness of the OS, but I never fully embraced iOS as my de facto mobile OS do to some of my favorite features found in other OS's and hardware being absent. Things like being able to see my full user directory when the device is connected to a computer, there is actually no reason or good excuse for this and I'm sure this has everything to do with Apple aggressively pushing iTunes as the sole outlet for managing ones media, specifically purchases. Whatever the reason is, using an MP3 player to sync music and movies is not my idea of intuitive. Multitasking has gotten much better over the years but it's time that Apple extend it's support for apps running in the background, which also means, hopefully, more RAM, as 1GB is just plain cheap of Apple. I also hope the multi-app spit screen view becomes a reality as it's a fantastic option, one of the reasons why I like Windows 8, but this feature is more geared towards the iPad and not really needed on a phone.

 

Talking about phones and the reason for this post, features that I would defiantly want before considering an iPhone is;

  • DLNA (I love this technology, it has always worked perfectly on every device that I've owned that included it), on my Nokia 1020 for instance, all I have to do is start up OneDrive, select a movie and push it to my TV as the output, takes all of a minute to do, I probably use it at least once a day. Trying to do this with an iPhone or iPad without an Apple TV, HDMI dongle or some other device that supports AirPlay is well impossible. DLNA is available on almost every mid to top tier TV and I always make sure that all of my TV's have it before purchasing a new one. Talking about dongles I suggest everyone grab a Smart Stick, it's a tiny device that supports, DLNA, MiraCast and Airplay, costs only 30 bucks and is perfect for traveling or extending your homes media center i can actually live without this feature but I really don't want too.
  •  NFC, say what you want about it but I really like using this tech, I have 5 little Nokia Play 360° (if anyone is looking for a wonderful little portable speaker, look no further these little guys are just great, not only do they sound fantastic but the battery lasts about 21 hours, yep you read that correctly) speakers through out the house, and a Nokia MD-100W (which is also a wireless charging station) on my nightstand, when I'm listening to a podcast in my bedroom and then decide to raid the refrigerator in the kitchen because I have a whole plate of pot brownies (actually prescribed from my doctor) all I have to do is touch these little guys with my Nokia 1020 and it will start playing. Also sharing files between 2 devices by touching them is extremely useful, yes there are a hundred different ways to do this without NFC but not as intuitive or fast. When traveling on a train I can pay using SBB's app by tapping on the conductors handheld when he passes by, the conductor doesn't even have to start up anything, takes all of 5 seconds, yes again there other options for none NFC phones, the SBB app can also show a barcode in which the conductor scans with his handheld to process the transaction but this method takes a little longer and the handheld doesn't always register the barcode on the first swipe, okay, it works but defiantly not as cool. Not only SBB but Post Finance, UBS, Credit Suisse, (Zuger, Zurich, Luzern, etc.)  Kantonalbanks all have NFC enabled payment apps that can be used at most Kiosks, Coop, Migros grocery stores, restaurants, kinos, Taxis, etc., I really like this service and more and more establishments are supporting this payment type. Swiss really don't use credit cards, mostly debit cards and cash, in fact it's a common site to see someone using a 1,000 CHF (1,110 USD) note to pay for something as simple as a soda, so using a phone as a debit card is something we embraced pretty quickly.
  • Wireless charging, this is a great way to charge a device regardless of all of the negative comments I have read on this board to the contrary, I have a Nokia pillow, the aforementioned Nokia speaker, a Nokia charging plate mounted underneath the middle console of my car and have been waiting impatiently for my EverPurse ClutchSo I have not only embraced this super cool tech but have invested heavily in it and I don't think I could own another phone without it so hopefully Apple embraces it in the iPhone 6.
  • LTE-A, I like me some fast Internet but until the iPhone supports LTE-A my current 150 Mbit contract would just go to waste.
  • Image stabilization, I love the camera on my Nokia 1020 there just isn't any comparison except maybe for the camera in the Nokia 801, it's beyond great, Now I don't expect Apple to use a similar sensor but what I do want is image stabilization, especially for taking videos,anyone who's seen a side by side comparison of a phone with and without it would immediately wonder how they lived without this feature.
  • Stronger build quality, that's as far as I'm going to go into that before I'm taking outside and shot with acid soaked bullets through a Nerf gun.

 

I commented to your post because you sounded pretty sure that all it would take is for Apple to increase the screen size of the iPhone and Samsung users will line up to replace their phones. Now I'm not a Samsung user but I'm sure it would take a little more then that, especially if the person was used to having some of the features that I listed above, specifically a file manager. I am currently extremely happy with my Nokia 1020, especially now with Windows 8.1 and  my Nexus 5, though my Nexus 5 is more of a toy and learning tool (app programming). Until such time that Apple includes the missing features that I want I will continue to use what makes me happy. Not to say that there is anything wrong with the iPhone as millions of users are very happy with them. As they should be, the iPhone offers most people everything that they could possibly ever want from a phone. Also please don't take offense to anything that I wrote above. I know a lot of you have this certain agape love for Apple and it's products and the very thought of someone being negative towards Apple infuriates. Though I am not as passionate for inanimate objects or the company's that produce them I have always been a big fan of Nokia phones none the less. Thankfully I also like Window's 8.1 mobile, especially the phone that runs it. It's different and works very well for me, which in an endless sea of iPhone's and Android phones is something hard to find. It used to be cool to own an iPhone as we were part of a small elite group but now that every Joe Smoe has one and the iPhone users are the majority, it's just not the case anymore. It also seems the hatred towards none iPhone users has increased, where the attitude and slogan was once a simple Think Different, has now been replaced with join us or die. Whatever phone someone uses, regardless if it's an Android phone they should never be judged on the electronics that they use.


Edited by Relic - 7/8/14 at 11:38pm
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #126 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by revenant View Post

I am going to go ahead and guess you have little experience actually using android, let alone a galaxy s5.  there are some really nice things one can do with android and on the samsung s5. And let's face it- neither of us know much about how great Tizen can be, as i doubt you touched the watch that had the software. A watch is not a good identifier of how the software would be on a phone. The best thing Samsung could do it to distance itself from android.

How great was iOS on the iPod shuffle? How well did that sell? Let's not pretend that Apple has never had a flop. Great company? No doubts, innovative and pushing hard for the future, i love every Apple product i have ever bought. But you cannot presume to know about Tizen and Samsung's choices regarding the software because no one bought the watch it was on- nearly no one bought the iOS laden iPod shuffle with a screen, and so Apple changed it back.  

There are probably more power users on android than there is iOS, because android lets you roll up your sleeves and do some extra. 

And microsoft is not even in the same league when it comes to the smartphone sphere, they should not have been brought up in the first place. The performance on the S5 is better than any other android crap i have ever messed around with.  

ROFL
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #127 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by ash471 View Post
 

Sounds easy on paper, but I think Tizen would be a disaster.  Samsung customers are like Microsoft customers.  They didn't care about performance to begin with, which is why they chose Samsung (or Microsoft) in the first place.  Once they learned how to use their shitty software, the worst thing you can do to them is make them learn new shitty software.  Look at Microsoft XP customers. MS can't get them to upgrade over a decade later. Every new MS OS release is followed by years of bitching.  While quality shares part of the blame, a big part of it is the customers. Think about it, if the Samdung customers were smart enough or wealthy enough to select good software, they wouldn't be using Samdung or MS in the first place.  The galaxy S owners over the age of 50 are the one exception. They need the bigger screen to avoid using reading glasses.     

 

Also, Samsung just tried Tizen on some of its watches and it didn't go well.  They are now going to release watches for Android.  If Samsung experiments with Tizen on the Galaxy S phones, I think it will be very short lived.

My friends who switched to Samsung phones did so for one main reason - the larger display. All while bemoaning the loss of familiarity with iOS and how Android just "works weird" and how some parts of the UI lacks consistency (like why the search bar can randomly be at the top or bottom of the screen depending on the app used). You may think they are griping for the sake of complaining, but people do notice and appreciate this sort of thing. Not art majors, but average consumers like you and me. Other than this - they use them just like they use iPhones. Whatever benefits and advantages Android promises to bring to the party - they are not tapping on any of them. 

 

I think it will be interesting to see how many people "defect" back to iOS once Apple rolls out their larger iPhones later this year. 

post #128 of 175

I have actually tried several android phones after having every single iPhone ever made.

Here is the list of phones I have tried outside Apple:

samesung S3, S4, S5, Note 2, Note 3. 

Motorola X, LG G2, LG G Pro and a Windows Phone Nokia 1520 (with 8.1 update) 

 

Android phones seem cool at first. It's different, has widgets and more customization options right out of the box. 

There are a few things from the Android OS that I wish Apple would do. Things like:

Letting me arrange my apps however haphazardly I want, stop with the stupid Auto arrange.

Give me a KILL ALL button instead of hitting red minus' or swiping up Web OS style on each and every app, one.... at.... a.... time....

Use the M7 in the same way the Moto X does and have always listening (optional for those that don't want it) so that I can just talk to my phone and it does what I ask. The moto X was my all time favorite android device for this reason (and being near pure android) 

and last, add a real camera....

I love my iPhone 5S but after having the Nokia 1520 and the Zeiss 20MP camera and Nokia camera software, I have seen the light and the iPhone camera is pure junk compared to the Nokia camera quality.  The iPhone camera is PURELY and outdoor sunlight only camera, true tone flash does nothing to help this fact. 

 

Now, about Samesung: their phones are pure garbage. The S4 was a laggy piece of junk with garbage, buggy, half baked software that made iphone 4 with iOS 7 look smooth as silk. The Note 2/3 were pretty cool to a degree. The S-pen software actually worked like it should 98% of the time. All the phones feel cheap as hell in the hand. The plastic feels flimsy like it would break in half if dropped. 

Touchwiz is the most bloated garbage ever created. 16GB Samesung phones have half or less of the advertised storage left after all the bloatware, anti virus, and carrier junkware. 

Touchwiz make the native OS (android) feel as tho the two are in a fight to see who can control the phone. Samesung strips part of android out of the OS and heavily modifies it so that even when everything samsung is disabled, you can't get the google/android part back. 

People are getting wise to samesung phones. It only takes one to make people see that samesung devices might boast a big screen, but in the end, that is All they have going for them. 

 

I for one can not wait for the 5.5" iPhone. The screen size is what led me to trying other phones and operating systems ( with a touch of curiosity ) but in the end, I am back on iPhone 5S because the OS is more refined, more polished and does Everything better. 

Another reason I wanted to try android is because I don't have some allegiance to a company that doesn't give a rats ass about me. Nor have I decided to hate a particular company for NO REASON AT ALL. 

I think that is what frustrates me most when reading forum comments. People have chosen to hate other companies for some dumbass dreamed up reason and have never once tried that companies product.  I hate Touchwiz. I think samesung devices feel cheap and a little pathetic, but I don't hate samesung on a "personal" level as if they hurt me in some way. 

When I buy a new TV, it could very well end up being a samsung TV unless I can find a TV that offers the same picture Quality. As far as I can tell, LG televisions and Visio televisions can not match the samesung picture quality.  I will buy a different companies TV if I can find something as good. 

 

At least when I am in forums telling someone that samesung phones suck, I can say that with absolute confidence that I know what I am talking about and not just spouting garbage that I have no clue about. 

iPhone 6 Plus 5.5" YES!
Reply
iPhone 6 Plus 5.5" YES!
Reply
post #129 of 175

I'd like to hear from the analysts now. I really do!

 

>>> Selling the phablet at a loss in order to gain marketshare (and eat your own tablet sales). <<<

 

Say again?

 

I am looking forward how Continuity is going to shape apple's products in the near Future.

post #130 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by abazigal View Post

 

I think it will be interesting to see how many people "defect" back to iOS once Apple rolls out their larger iPhones later this year. 

 

Why, does it really matter what phone people use. I know it's interesting to debate the merits of using an iPhone over a Android phone here but seriously do you actually care. Those UI inconsistencies in Android you mentioned are from third party skins, when using a pure Nexus or Google Play device the UI is very consistent, the new L build is even more so.

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #131 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by r4d4 View Post

I have actually tried several android phones after having every single iPhone ever made..... At least when I am in forums telling someone that samesung phones suck, I can say that with absolute confidence that I know what I am talking about and not just spouting garbage that I have no clue about. 

That makes you very different from a majority of the posters on this forum
post #132 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr O View Post
 

I'd like to hear from the analysts now. I really do!

 

>>> Selling the phablet at a loss in order to gain marketshare (and eat your own tablet sales). <<<

 

Say again?

Huh? Who sells their Phablets at a loss, certainly not Samsung. Just because other companies don't have Apple's extremely large margins, almost 70% for the iPhone 5s doesn't mean that there producing products at a lost. Pretty random thing to say.

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #133 of 175
Considering they're currently busy trying to sell 4K displays in phones… I'm not surprised. That numbers game is just pointless and stupid. And the cheap market belongs to Motorola ever since the Moto X and some of if to Nokia. Nobody wants a low end phone from Samscum that's even worse than their 'high end'.
post #134 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post
 

 

Why, does it really matter what phone people use. I know it's interesting to debate the merits of using an iPhone over a Android phone here but seriously do you actually care. Those UI inconsistencies in Android you mentioned are from third party skins, when using a pure Nexus or Google Play device the UI is very consistent, the new L build is even more so.

I don't really, but I am always on the lookout for more "ammo" to defend myself against Android-using trolls who continue spewing the same falsehoods day in and day out on forums such as Cnet. Like how they love to boast that their Android phones have quad-core processors, while Anandtech has long debunked that "myth" and shown how Apple's A7 processor consistently delivers better performance despite having just 2 slower cores. 

 

I don't go around looking for fights, but if you want to pick one with me, I am not going down without a struggle. :P

post #135 of 175
Geez AI, I wanted to reply to Relic here, but got this crap, as usual:



Not really easy to edit out on the topics I want to respond to. You really need to get rid of Huddler. Subito!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

iOS
Nokia 1020 WP8
LTE-A
1GB RAM
Filemanager
DLNA

Good to see you're starting to like iOS, let's hope v8 does it for you. Except for a file manager; that I don't see them doing. Their integrated ecosystem, with all files residing in their respective apps and the way the configured iCloud...I just don't see it coming. In fact, I even presume they might disable the Finder on the Mac one day.

Out of all the non-iPhone phones I think your Nokia 1020 with WP8 is the best out there. I haven't even tried it, only read reviews, spec list and such.

LTE-A Good to see you getting 150Mb/s (I presume you're on Sunrise), my pathetic telco just doubled their "4G" from 25/5 to 50/25 (down/up, in Mb/s). And it's not country-wide, contrary to their advertisement.

1GB RAM may seem cheap, but I think they always try to optimise their apps so they can cope with the lowest HW requirements. Still, since my iPad often needs to reload a tab in Safari I too think 1GB isn't enough.

DLNA. I don't like it: it's slow on my Samsung TV+DVD. Doesn't matter since I don't use DVD anymore, and only use the TV to see what my Mac Mini and AppleTV are playing (so only use 3 functions on that TV: power, volume and input selector). But I digress; don't you experience slowness in switching device input on DLNA? The interface on my TV is also excruciating, mind-boggling and infuriating...whatever, not for me.
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
post #136 of 175
I guess the #boycottsamsung is working.
post #137 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mejsric View Post

I guess the #boycottsamsung is working.

No boycott necessary... Just compare and decide based on real-world use.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #138 of 175

"Samsung was forced to spend "somewhat aggressively" on marketing in order to clear backed-up inventory of mid-tier and low-end devices as it feels the squeeze from commodity Android vendors. "

 

Have they considered other strategies to improve sales, like, you know, fixing their software? Surely they must know that few people use their "value added" features (http://www.sammobile.com/2014/04/23/a-majority-of-galaxy-s-users-do-not-like-samsungs-exclusive-apps/).


Edited by d4NjvRzf - 7/9/14 at 5:21am
post #139 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Geez AI, I wanted to reply to Relic here, but got this crap, as usual:



Not really easy to edit out on the topics I want to respond to. You really need to get rid of Huddler. Subito!

 

Oh, haha, no it's that I use Microsoft's online Word app to type up my posts because I don't trust my iPad, that bloody Safari is always refreshing when the memory get's low. At least when I use the online Word app it saves any and all progress. I'll run the text through a HTML stripper next time before posting.

 

Good to see you're starting to like iOS, let's hope v8 does it for you. Except for a file manager; that I don't see them doing. Their integrated ecosystem, with all files residing in their respective apps and the way the configured iCloud...I just don't see it coming. In fact, I even presume they might disable the Finder on the Mac one day.

 

It's defiantly getting there, took 7 years but I guess good things come to those who wait. Still never had an iPhone though and really don't think I ever will, well, never say never right, who knows Apple just might come out with something that's an absolute must have. Love my iPad though, love the apps that I use on it so it's only fitting that I should finally like the OS that runs it as well. Oh man, the second Apple disables the Finder in OSX is the day I wipe my MacBook and install Solaris on it. Big reason why I always had such a problem with iOS, it's so locked down, as a programmer and Unix guru for many years, knowing that their is a powerful BSD system lurking beneath but was intentionally hidden from us drives me absolutely bat shitt crazy. It's like iOS has been babied proof with child locks, I sometimes actually feel myself getting dumber when using it. Version 8 is looking good though.

 

Out of all the non-iPhone phones I think your Nokia 1020 with WP8 is the best out there. I haven't even tried it, only read reviews, spec list and such.
 

 

I know I talk a lot about how I'm a Nokia fan and all of that but the Nokia 1020 is  just such a neat phone. Especially now with the release of Windows 8.1, Microsoft even released a file-manager app for it, so I'm in heaven, yaaayyy. Even though I do have a Nexus 5, I don't really use it for anything important just app development and hacking, I currently have Ubuntu Touch and Android "L" running on a dual boot. For the first time in a long time I am completely satisfied with my phone, usually after 6 months of owning a phone I have the itch to buy a new one. When it is time I think my next Nokia will be the 1525, I want to try a bigger one (that's what she said), especially with a much a larger screen size and they don't get any larger then the 1525, especially the black one (oh she didn't).

 

LTE-A Good to see you getting 150Mb/s (I presume you're on Sunrise), my pathetic telco just doubled their "4G" from 25/5 to 50/25 (down/up, in Mb/s). And it's not country-wide, contrary to their advertisement.
 

 

I have SwissyComm but the kids have Sunrise. They have really great deals for the children. I am so blessed to have great internet in this country.

 

1GB RAM may seem cheap, but I think they always try to optimise their apps so they can cope with the lowest HW requirements. Still, since my iPad often needs to reload a tab in Safari I too think 1GB isn't enough.

 

I hate when I'm in a forum and had just written a huge post, then switch to another app real quick only to come back to a refreshed Safari and no more post, aaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!.

 

The iPad defiantly needs more memory, if Apple still has 1GB in the next version of the iPad I will defiantly pass, it's time guys, really.

 

DLNA. I don't like it: it's slow on my Samsung TV+DVD. Doesn't matter since I don't use DVD anymore, and only use the TV to see what my Mac Mini and AppleTV are playing (so only use 3 functions on that TV: power, volume and input selector). But I digress; don't you experience slowness in switching device input on DLNA? The interface on my TV is also excruciating, mind-boggling and infuriating...whatever, not for me.

 

Strange, DLNA works really well on all of my TV's except one, but that's a cheesy, crappy Samsung Monitor that has built in TV functionality, we bought it when we rented an RV to travel around Spain, junk, it's in our sons room because he's our least favorite. No just kidding, he's like me, collects all of the old tech around the house and stuffs it into one area for mad scientisty things.


Edited by Relic - 7/9/14 at 5:22am
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #140 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by revenant View Post

I am going to go ahead and guess you have little experience actually using android, let alone a galaxy s5.  there are some really nice things one can do with android and on the samsung s5. And let's face it- neither of us know much about how great Tizen can be, as i doubt you touched the watch that had the software. A watch is not a good identifier of how the software would be on a phone. The best thing Samsung could do it to distance itself from android.

How great was iOS on the iPod shuffle? How well did that sell? Let's not pretend that Apple has never had a flop. Great company? No doubts, innovative and pushing hard for the future, i love every Apple product i have ever bought. But you cannot presume to know about Tizen and Samsung's choices regarding the software because no one bought the watch it was on- nearly no one bought the iOS laden iPod shuffle with a screen, and so Apple changed it back.  

There are probably more power users on android than there is iOS, because android lets you roll up your sleeves and do some extra. 

And microsoft is not even in the same league when it comes to the smartphone sphere, they should not have been brought up in the first place. The performance on the S5 is better than any other android crap i have ever messed around with.  

Have a colleague that bought a note 3 six months ago. He is an android fanatic- loves them and is very knowledgeable about them. He didn't like samsung and their business practices, but still picked the note over the lg g2 (at the time), because the chip was better and an extra gig ram. He also says he thinks samsung makes the best hardware but absolutely terrible software. He rooted his note 3 and took all of samsung's bloat ware off his phone and got a full gig in space! He also showed me how many useless and spam apps samsung puts on there stock- holy crap- it was probably 40+.
Not to mention he wasn't supposed to be able to root it, because they put their e-chip in it. Of course, their software has a loophole (of course) that you can get by it. What a crack team on the software group there at Samsung!

Samsung sucks. Even if they made the best phone in the world, the fact anyone would buy a phone from that scummy company makes them an equally scummy person. Needless to say, my colleague regrets his decision and says it's the last samsung phone he'll likely buy. He's leaning towards a g3 right now.

Lastly- you want an iOS alternative? Use Microsoft. Their OS is much better than android and is a significant rival to iOS. I'm very impressed with them. Touchwiz? Android? Tizien?. Hah!!!!

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #141 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by abazigal View Post
 

I don't really, but I am always on the lookout for more "ammo" to defend myself against Android-using trolls who continue spewing the same falsehoods day in and day out on forums such as Cnet. Like how they love to boast that their Android phones have quad-core processors, while Anandtech has long debunked that "myth" and shown how Apple's A7 processor consistently delivers better performance despite having just 2 slower cores. 

 

I don't go around looking for fights, but if you want to pick one with me, I am not going down without a struggle. :P

 

I weigh less then 35 kilos, if my dog didn't sit on me I would float away. You win! :p

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #142 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post


Have a colleague that bought a note 3 six months ago. He is an android fanatic- loves them and is very knowledgeable about them. He didn't like samsung and their business practices, but still picked the note over the lg g2 (at the time), because the chip was better and an extra gig ram. He also says he thinks samsung makes the best hardware but absolutely terrible software. He rooted his note 3 and took all of samsung's bloat ware off his phone and got a full gig in space! He also showed me how many useless and spam apps samsung puts on there stock- holy crap- it was probably 40+.
Not to mention he wasn't supposed to be able to root it, because they put their e-chip in it. Of course, their software has a loophole (of course) that you can get by it. What a crack team on the software group there at Samsung!

Samsung sucks. Even if they made the best phone in the world, the fact anyone would buy a phone from that scummy company makes them an equally scummy person. Needless to say, my colleague regrets his decision and says it's the last samsung phone he'll likely buy. He's leaning towards a g3 right now.

Lastly- you want an iOS alternative? Use Microsoft. Their OS is much better than android and is a significant rival to iOS. I'm very impressed with them. Touchwiz? Android? Tizien?. Hah!!!!

 

Yeppers!

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #143 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


No boycott necessary... Just compare and decide based on real-world use.

 Yep, that's how I decide between mescaline and acid.

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #144 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwes View Post

I was trying to find and article I read a while back from someone who seemed to be a very capable engineer describing how the (original) iPhone display would fail (the capacitive elements would degraded quickly over short use, or something like that) over time and that Apple would have a massive recall on their hands. Not knowing that Apple's engineers has figured out the problems he had not... oh well.

I found some other good reads instead:

http://adage.com/article/al-ries/iphone-fail/117355/

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=iphone

http://suckbusters2.blogspot.com/2007/06/apple-iphone-debut-to-flop-product-to.html

And yet, people still try to predict the future...

wow that suckbusters ariticle is such irony....! embarrassment wow, the author had good intentions, and on a blog that dealt with a subject that is important!... but WOW did he completely undermine any credibility he had in "software design"! ... i guess that is why that blog ended in 2009..
post #145 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

^ post

Online Word? Ok, but, still, this sort of stuff happens on other peoples posts as well. Something to do with the user prefs on this site; I use BBCode but when replying to someone who posted using the RT Editor things go peer-shaped. Anyhoo, my point still stands on needing to get rid of Huddler.

As for iOS/OSX and baby-proofing, I get why they do this, but think they indeed should also understand the amount of programmers using their products, preferring Unix of anything else. Ok to have the ~/Library hidden, but they should've are it more obvious how to enable it. Even Solipsism didn't know about the setting, but in his defence they added it later on, not when they hid it from view (Cmd-J on home folder)

Should they ever have the nerve to hide the Finder, there are alternatives, with Xfile probably the best of the bunch:



As for Safari refreshing on AI; Huddler did add a 'Save Draft' after all the Safari crashing we had earlier this year. If your Tab has been refreshed simply hit the quote button again and you'll get back all the text you already typed/spelled out to Siri dictated

But an extra gig of RAM won't hurt, obviously.

Enjoy your fast internet, the kids and their collection, and your 'quicker than mine DLNA'

LOL@"that's what she said"

Cheers
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
post #146 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

And in other South Korean news: "Gangnam Style," the worldwide viral super-hit by K-Pop star PSY has drastically declined in popularity year-over-year since its peak in 2012.

But really, Samsung's smartphone sales decline and "Gangnam Style"'s decline were both inevitable.
Weren't they.

watching that video, i marvel at the fact that there is not any product placements for samsung in it... perhaps it was a dig at samsungs executive style?... Samsung Style!..
post #147 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by abazigal View Post

I don't really, but I am always on the lookout for more "ammo" to defend myself against Android-using trolls who continue spewing the same falsehoods day in and day out on forums such as Cnet. Like how they love to boast that their Android phones have quad-core processors, while Anandtech has long debunked that "myth" and shown how Apple's A7 processor consistently delivers better performance despite having just 2 slower cores. 

I don't go around looking for fights, but if you want to pick one with me, I am not going down without a struggle. :P

Nothing @Relic wrote was confrontational nor was it trollish. It's unwise to pick a fight with her because many here including myself will come to her defense.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #148 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post


Online Word? 

Yeah, not only is it really good but it's also free to use, along with Excel and PowerPoint. Just go here and click on the app you want to use. People always ask why I have a ChromeBook, why not, the web has everything that I could possible want. Put the browser in full screen while using iCloud and it's like you have a Mac. :D 

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #149 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic troll. You have no argument. Every single word you have said has been disproven. Nothing you say is even remotely correct. You have absolutely no right to continue posting whatsoever. It is not your opinion. Trolling is not an opinion.
Good for you. You're completely and utterly wrong.

"mostcallmemob" is a bad troll at that... 12 posts... and he then capitulates, (post #106) in effect apologizing!... "another one bites the dust"....
lesson to be learned... don't llearn to troll here, or to quote/paraphase Tegan and Sara ... "silly time to learn to swim, when you are drowning..."
post #150 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Just go here and click on the app you want to use.

Thanks for that link. I've refreshed my tab in Safari myself and will see if they kept all of my text in here. Refreshing NOW.

Yup, that works.
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
post #151 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by abazigal View Post

I don't really, but I am always on the lookout for more "ammo" to defend myself against Android-using trolls who continue spewing the same falsehoods day in and day out on forums such as Cnet. Like how they love to boast that their Android phones have quad-core processors, while Anandtech has long debunked that "myth" and shown how Apple's A7 processor consistently delivers better performance despite having just 2 slower cores. 

I don't go around looking for fights, but if you want to pick one with me, I am not going down without a struggle. :P

Nothing @Relic wrote was confrontational nor was it trollish. It's unwise to pick a fight with her because many here including myself will come to her defense.

My comment wasn't even directed at her. She asked me a direct question, I have her an honest and direct answer. It's that simple.
post #152 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by abazigal View Post

My comment wasn't even directed at her. She asked me a direct question, I have her an honest and direct answer. It's that simple.

Apologies then. I read it as if you were attacking her.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #153 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by abazigal View Post

My comment wasn't even directed at her. She asked me a direct question, I have her an honest and direct answer. It's that simple.

Apologies then. I read it as if you were attacking her.
none taken. 1smile.gif
post #154 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by abazigal View Post

My comment wasn't even directed at her. She asked me a direct question, I have her an honest and direct answer. It's that simple.

Apologies then. I read it as if you were attacking her.

In her defence, I think she's quite capable of defending herself 1cool.gif
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
post #155 of 175
Poetic justice. The conniving, lying, thieves from Samsung are slowly going to get their due. Of course, they'll try to copy the next big Apple thing, though with the litigation, it will be much harder for them. I think Apple should stop playing too nice with the Chinese government and slap around Xiaomi, which is now even worse than Samsung in stealing from Apple. Cockroaches.
Ah, hopefully, that shill, Lucy Koh wouldn't be presiding over that case!
post #156 of 175
When Samsung is put out of business and the CEO has humbled himself before the world, having metaphorically fallen upon his sword, then, and only then, will justice have been served.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #157 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyfozz View Post

Their dishonesty in marketing is NOT helping them.

Would you care to be a bit more specific? Vague rants don't add much to the discussion

It's interesting to see how this seems to vindicate Apple staying out of the lower end of the market - too easy to compete there when people care more about price than name or features.

You're asking someone to provide evidence of Samsung's dishonesty in marketing? Might as well ask him for evidence that music is good, or that ignorance is bliss.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #158 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shervin View Post

Poetic justice. The conniving, lying, thieves from Samsung are slowly going to get their due. Of course, they'll try to copy the next big Apple thing, though with the litigation, it will be much harder for them. I think Apple should stop playing too nice with the Chinese government and slap around Xiaomi, which is now even worse than Samsung in stealing from Apple. Cockroaches.
Ah, hopefully, that shill, Lucy Koh wouldn't be presiding over that case!

I think that Chinese judge will preside over this case, his name is Win One Soon.

post #159 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostcallmerob View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws View Post

 
Touch ID, just introduced in Apple's latest iPhone, is an amazing example of groundbreaking innovation: the very first highly reliable and incredibly convenient biometric security system ever installed on a mobile device.  Oh, and I forgot to mention the first 64-bit processor on a mobile phone.  As Phil Schiller would say, "Can't innovate? My Ass!"

Touch ID, I will give to Apple, is a pretty innovative feature and one that actually works well as I've played with it on my girlfriends 5S. 64-bit processing is something all smartphones should have, which is one huge issue I have with Samsung. The difference of using a 64-bit processor makes for a super smooth and fluid feel across the OS, which is why I enjoy the iPhone more. 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Ok- ill bite.


Even as little as last year- doing a 64-bit processor in the mobile world. That's huge. So big in fact that Samsung came out a week later and publicly said "we'll have 64 bit too soon!" However- here we are, almost a year later- with nothing in sight except for a promise. If you can't understand why the move to 64-bit and the development of that chip isn't groundbreaking, then we don't need to continue the conversation.


Although, in your eyes, I see how that can be minor. You're thinking iPod, or the revolution of the smartphone with iPhone. Or a tablet that finally caught on and look at the advances now In that field. I think everyone- even competitors and trolls- can agree all three of those were huge innovations.


Now please answer- should apple "innovate" with a brand new product category annually? Or is it a once every 5 year thing? Please list three consumer products that were completely revolutionary and innovative from any company- not even tech related- in the past 15 years. When you can't list a company- then you can, as tallest says, shut up and go away.

Of course Apple can't develop a brand new product category annually, it's not possible. Three products that were revolutionary and innovative is simple. 


HDTV, DVR/DVD's, NFC (although it's not too commonly used), RFID tagging, CD's, mainstream GPS, hybrid and electric cars, 3D printing, Google, USB flash, Wifi, and social media, just to name a few have completely revolutionized our lifes. 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

 

Uhhhhhh, they invented the freaking touch screen smart-phone. What are you, 10 years old?

Apple did not invent the touchscreen, it has been around since the 80's, probably earlier. Apple brought the multi-point touchscreen to the smartphone.

Shut up and go away.

Thank you.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #160 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by ash471 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I have to think the top level management at Samsung are taking a long hard look at their smart phone division's almost insane desire to beat Apple at all costs. Flooding the market with very low profit products is hurting the whole company. I seriously suspect some heads may roll in the phone division over this and they may scale back the desire to 'win' the numbers game (AKA chanel stuffing, discounts, give awaits and so on) and go back to looking at how to actually make money, even if that means conceding that Apple is actually selling more profitable products by far.
ummm, 7 billion in profit is nothing to sneeze at.  I very much doubt heads are going to roll.  From a business standpoint, copying Apple was totally the right thing to do. Think of all the catastrophic failures from companies who tried to compete with Apple by partially copying and adding their own flair to it (note that the entire smartphone industry copied Apple to some degree).  I'm sure the 100% pure copyists at Samdung are heroes in the eyes of Samdung shareholders.  Of all the copyists, they did it the best.

Burning bridges is not good business.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung predicts massive profit decline, blames slumping smartphone sales