or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung predicts massive profit decline, blames slumping smartphone sales
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung predicts massive profit decline, blames slumping smartphone sales - Page 5

post #161 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

 

Samsung is not good in business.

 

They got lucky.  Flat out.  They stumbled upon making GIAGANTIC screens and the market ate it up.  There would always be a huge market for Android phones because of price.  Samsung was just the lucky one.  It will only go down hill from now on.  Profits are down 25% and top end unit sales are down 35%.  Soon they will need to cut marketing and that will lessen sales even more.  The Chinese companies will destroy Samsung's mid-range phones and they will be forced to cut prices even more.

 

Can you say Nokia 2.0?

Disagree.  From the litigation we know that Samsung recognized right away that copying was the only option.  It wasn't dumb luck. They knew exactly what they were doing. And their math was correct.  They made a lot more money copying than the rest of the competitors combined. How's that not good business? I'm no Samdung fan, but I recognize good business decisions when I see them. 

post #162 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by revenant View Post
 

 

I am going to go ahead and guess you have little experience actually using android, let alone a galaxy s5.  there are some really nice things one can do with android and on the samsung s5. And let's face it- neither of us know much about how great Tizen can be, as i doubt you touched the watch that had the software. A watch is not a good identifier of how the software would be on a phone. The best thing Samsung could do it to distance itself from android.

 

How great was iOS on the iPod shuffle? How well did that sell? Let's not pretend that Apple has never had a flop. Great company? No doubts, innovative and pushing hard for the future, i love every Apple product i have ever bought. But you cannot presume to know about Tizen and Samsung's choices regarding the software because no one bought the watch it was on- nearly no one bought the iOS laden iPod shuffle with a screen, and so Apple changed it back.  

 

There are probably more power users on android than there is iOS, because android lets you roll up your sleeves and do some extra. 

 

And microsoft is not even in the same league when it comes to the smartphone sphere, they should not have been brought up in the first place. The performance on the S5 is better than any other android crap i have ever messed around with.  

I would bet against Tizen all day long. Admittedly, I haven't used Tizen.  However, I very much doubt it will succeed as a platform.  I have enough experience selling consumer products to know that change is very hard.  There are only three things that cause change 1. price, 2. desired technological advancement, or 3. branding/trends/culture.  Samsung isn't going to accomplish any of those three.  Price doesn't matter (nobody charges for the UI).  Tizen doesn't produce a significant technological advantage over Android.  User interfaces are not trendy and if they were, I very much doubt that Samdung would be the trend setter. 

I also think Samsung recognizes the huge challenge it faces, which is why they aren't going to release Tizen

post #163 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by ash471 View Post

Disagree.  From the litigation we know that Samsung recognized right away that copying was the only option.  It wasn't dumb luck. They knew exactly what they were doing. And their math was correct.  They made a lot more money copying than the rest of the competitors combined. How's that not good business? I'm no Samdung fan, but I recognize good business decisions when I see them. 

Using your logic the Galaxy Tab should've sold well. Look at the real numbers. We all saw the pitiful sales numbers of the SGS 2 (the closest copy of the iPhone) about 2 yrs ago. It was until the SGS 3 (a very different looking device) that Samsung's high end smartphone sales took off. People that buy a Samsung device do so because it's different from a Apple device not a copy.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #164 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

You're asking someone to provide evidence of Samsung's dishonesty in marketing? Might as well ask him for evidence that music is good, or that ignorance is bliss.

I see. Sorry, my mistake. I thought calling something dishonest meant that it contained information that isn't true and that's what I was hoping our friend could give an example or two of.
Now I understand that when marketing is "dishonest" it just means that some people don't like it - that it's a completely subjective, unqualifiable term.

It's too bad that bobbyfozz isn't here any more to clarify what he or she meant.
post #165 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1 View Post

I see. Sorry, my mistake. I thought calling something dishonest meant that it contained information that isn't true and that's what I was hoping our friend could give an example or two of.
Now I understand that when marketing is "dishonest" it just means that some people don't like it - that it's a completely subjective, unqualifiable term.

It's too bad that bobbyfozz isn't here any more to clarify what he or she meant.

Paying celebrities to say "wow, I love my Samsung phone" when they actually prefer iPhones strikes many people as dishonest.
post #166 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

Paying celebrities to say "wow, I love my Samsung phone" when they actually prefer iPhones strikes many people as dishonest.
So you think other celebs touting particular exercise equipment or hair-color or makeup really use those products? That's advertising.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #167 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

So you think other celebs touting particular exercise equipment or hair-color or makeup really use those products? That's advertising.

It's possible that many people find those things dishonest too.

Personally, I think ~90% of advertising is dishonest.
post #168 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by iaeen View Post


Personally, I think ~90% of advertising is dishonest.

 

So when my husband says his baby making material is good for my face he's lying?

 

 

Yep, I know what you mean, tried this product after burrito night, didn't help one damn bit!

 

......and one more because it's awesome!

 

 

I'm sure you could fit thee Kardashian's sisters in the back of a Ford, so this one defiantly goes in the 10% column.


Edited by Relic - 7/10/14 at 5:12pm
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #169 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

So when my husband says his baby making material is good for my face he's lying.

That's the 10% that's true. 1wink.gif
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #170 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post



Hahaha! Stink-free? From PooPourri? LMAO
post #171 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post


Hahaha! Stink-free? From PooPourri? LMAO

Thats actually a Dallas based company.  One of my employees is actually good friends with the founders.  Ridiculous commercial for that.  Watch it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKLnhuzh9uY

:D

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #172 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Hahaha! Stink-free? From PooPourri? LMAO
Thats actually a Dallas based company.  One of my employees is actually good friends with the founders.  Ridiculous commercial for that.  Watch it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKLnhuzh9uY
1biggrin.gif

Wouw! Lost for words here, feeling dump.
post #173 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by iaeen View Post


It's possible that many people find those things dishonest too.

Personally, I think ~90% of advertising is dishonest.

 

Awwwhhh, here, just wipe those tears away, feel better, no, then plop yourself right here, play Lincoln logs with my son for a little and I'll make a loaf of my famous chocolate fudge cake with nuts, no need to thank me, it;s my doodie.

 

Puntastic!

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #174 of 175

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #175 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

^ video

LOL. Keep em coming Relic!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung predicts massive profit decline, blames slumping smartphone sales