or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's CarPlay could be in more than 24 million vehicles by 2019, report says
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's CarPlay could be in more than 24 million vehicles by 2019, report says

post #1 of 46
Thread Starter 

Thanks in part to the massive popularity of Apple's iPhone, over 24 million cars featuring the company's CarPlay infotainment offering could be on the road just five years after the first vehicles sporting the new system roll off of automotive assembly lines.
 

CarPlay



Apple should be able to reach that milestone thanks to the number of automakers on board as partners — some 29 at last count — and the company's ability to drive interest in its products, according to a report from market research firm ABI Research. The fact that no one standard has taken the lead will also help, the firm believes, with marques following consumer desires rather than an industry leader.

"Many believe Apple is creating further fragmentations and a ripple effect in the industry by not being open," ABI analyst Filomena Berardi said. "However, love it or hate it, with Apple on the scene it certainly draws greater attention to in-car apps and now with the Android Auto standard on the scene both will certainly drive adoption of in-car apps."

Apple unveiled CarPlay, née iOS in the Car, during the 2013 edition of its annual developers conference in San Francisco and announced the first CarPlay-equipped models at this year's Geneva Motor Show. Drivers will be able to place phone calls, listen to voicemail messages, access contacts, and control apps like MLB at Bat and Pandora either using Siri or via their car's in-dash touchscreen after connecting a compatible iPhone.

Original CarPlay partners Ferrari, Honda, Hyundai, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz and Volvo have since been joined by the likes of Abarth, Alfa Romeo, Audi, BMW, Chrysler, Dodge, Fiat, Ford, General Motors, Jeep, Land Rover, Kia, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, PSA Peugeot Citroën, Ram, Subaru, Suzuki and Toyota. The system will also be available in the aftermarket with units from Alpine and Pioneer.

Not to be outdone, search giant Google subsequently unveiled an automotive initiative of its own, dubbed Android Auto. The overall functionality nearly mirrors that of CarPlay, but works only with Android devices.

post #2 of 46
I found this video by someone who is focusing on the car more than the CE attached to the car talking about his experience with CarPlay interesting.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #3 of 46

Again, people should be driving their cars not entertaining themselves while they drive. and you wonder why we have road rage and people trying to kill each other while they drive.


Edited by Maestro64 - 7/10/14 at 9:44am
post #4 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Again, people should be driving their cars not entertaining themselves while they drive. and you wonder what we have road rag and people trying to kill each other while they drive.

So there should be a law that doesn't allow any handsfree systems or even a radio?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #5 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

....road rag...

Is that the female version? lol.gif
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #6 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I found this video by someone who is focusing on the car more than the CE attached to the car talking about his experience with CarPlay interesting.

Just watched it. That guy does a great story.
I have enough money to last the rest of my life. Unless I buy something. - Jackie Mason
Never own anything that poops. - RadarTheKat
Reply
I have enough money to last the rest of my life. Unless I buy something. - Jackie Mason
Never own anything that poops. - RadarTheKat
Reply
post #7 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Again, people should be driving their cars not entertaining themselves while they drive. and you wonder what we have road rag and people trying to kill each other while they drive.

"Road rag" is the worst. A beach towel might be alright.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #8 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post
 

Again, people should be driving their cars not entertaining themselves while they drive. and you wonder what we have road rag and people trying to kill each other while they drive.

If you did any long commutes you would realize that the reason why people engage in road rage is because they do not have any means to entertain themselves while stuck in traffic. That is why you get road rage or "rag" as you put it.

 

In fact, an argument could be made that road rage incidents have gone down thanks to all the other distractions now available in our vehicles.

post #9 of 46

Article says -

 

"The system will also be available in the aftermarket with units from Alpine and Pioneer."

 

Could use some help in interpreting that.  I have a 2014 Ford Edge with MyFord Touch/Sync.  Does the quote mean I will have to buy something from Alpine or Pioneer for my Edge to add CarPlay?  How would the move to BlackBerry QNX affect this?  Have poked around various Ford and other car sites and can't seem to find any useful info on any of this.

 

A bit off topic but let me add that in my two months of experience with Ford Sync and its Microsoft developed voice interface:  If one arbitrarily assigns Apple's Siri an IQ of 100, then the Ford/Microsoft lady has an IQ of around 5.  Irritating beyond description.

post #10 of 46

Just to point out, The total cars sold in 2013 is around 65M.

post #11 of 46
So in conclusion: the human race is still insane
post #12 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by wigby View Post

If you did any long commutes you would realize that the reason why people engage in road rage is because they do not have any means to entertain themselves while stuck in traffic. That is why you get road rage or "rag" as you put it.

In fact, an argument could be made that road rage incidents have gone down thanks to all the other distractions now available in our vehicles.

Right, after all music does soothe the savage beast.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #13 of 46
Without hardware or software upgrades, the chance that CarPlay will be in any way useful in ten years is nil. Ask owners of vehicles with the first generation of OnStar how well that feature is working for them today. When first generation cell phone technology was disabled, OnStar stopped working and GM decided not to provide any kind of upgrade path for owners so the feature they touted so highly as a way to automatically call for emergency services after an accident became a useless button. How well will today's CarPlay work in iOS 18? Car makers need to make smart technology in their vehicles upgradable and Apple needs to sell iOS modules to let customers perform the upgrades themselves by simply inserting them into a slot in the dashboard or glove compartment.
post #14 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrangerFX View Post

Without hardware or software upgrades, the chance that CarPlay will be in any way useful in ten years is nil. Ask owners of vehicles with the first generation of OnStar how well that feature is working for them today. When first generation cell phone technology was disabled, OnStar stopped working and GM decided not to provide any kind of upgrade path for owners so the feature they touted so highly as a way to automatically call for emergency services after an accident became a useless button. How well will today's CarPlay work in iOS 18? Car makers need to make smart technology in their vehicles upgradable and Apple needs to sell iOS modules to let customers perform the upgrades themselves by simply inserting them into a slot in the dashboard or glove compartment.

Why wouldn't it work in 10 years? You do know that CarPlay isn't actually in the car, right? It's using the car's system as a peripheral for a UI on the iPhone itself. There is no reason to think that a future version of iOS will change their output protocols so much that it won't work. Have you not tried to plug an iPod into a car's USB port and have it work? I have an old iPod that works fine in my new car.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #15 of 46
Originally Posted by GrangerFX View Post
Without hardware or software upgrades…

 

And what makes you think there won’t be software upgrades?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #16 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


So there should be a law that doesn't allow any handsfree systems or even a radio?

 

Actually a much simple law, no distraction while driving law including yelling at your kids which show up in the top 5 reason why people site as cause of an accident with insurance companies. But you can not outlaw having your kids in your car trying to kill one another on road trip.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Is that the female version? lol.gif

 Yeah kind of same differencem, but I correct the typo after you caught it.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigby View Post
 

If you did any long commutes you would realize that the reason why people engage in road rage is because they do not have any means to entertain themselves while stuck in traffic. That is why you get road rage or "rag" as you put it.

 

In fact, an argument could be made that road rage incidents have gone down thanks to all the other distractions now available in our vehicles.

No, the reason I want to kill people on the road is because they doing things which they should not be doing and not paying attention to the road and what is going on around them.

 

Maybe road rage is down because more people are on happy drugs, You know the pharma companies slogan is a better life through chemistry

post #17 of 46

If you think people are going to stop trying to make calls and look up directions in the car, it's just not realistic. If we can make doing that kind of thing hands free and dead simple, we'll stop a lot of accidents in this weird time that we're in technologically -- cool enough to have mini computers but not quite enough for self-driving cars. 

post #18 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

No, the reason I want to kill people on the road is because they doing things which they should not be doing and not paying attention to the road and what is going on around them.

Then why are you against a system designed to get people's eyes off their iPhones and onto the road?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #19 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

 

No, the reason I want to kill people on the road is because they doing things which they should not be doing and not paying attention to the road and what is going on around them.

Sorry to lump you in with other drivers. You clearly have your own set of emotional problems ;-)

post #20 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrangerFX View Post

Without hardware or software upgrades, the chance that CarPlay will be in any way useful in ten years is nil. Ask owners of vehicles with the first generation of OnStar how well that feature is working for them today. When first generation cell phone technology was disabled, OnStar stopped working and GM decided not to provide any kind of upgrade path for owners so the feature they touted so highly as a way to automatically call for emergency services after an accident became a useless button. How well will today's CarPlay work in iOS 18? Car makers need to make smart technology in their vehicles upgradable and Apple needs to sell iOS modules to let customers perform the upgrades themselves by simply inserting them into a slot in the dashboard or glove compartment.

 

Yeah, you're missing how CarPlay works. It's basically a protocol for displaying video on a screen and sending touch information back to the iphone. It's very lightweight and there's no reason why even IOS15 won't be able to interface with it. It's like a more sophisticated wireless touchpad + monitor.  The brains are still in the phone itself. 

post #21 of 46
WHERE THE HELL ARE THE APPLE aftermarket units???!!
post #22 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Why wouldn't it work in 10 years? You do know that CarPlay isn't actually in the car, right? It's using the car's system as a peripheral for a UI on the iPhone itself. There is no reason to think that a future version of iOS will change their output protocols so much that it won't work. Have you not tried to plug an iPod into a car's USB port and have it work? I have an old iPod that works fine in my new car.

However future iOS devices connect to future CarPlay hardware will be different. Apps will be updated to newer versions of iOS and won't support old versions with old CarPlay SDK. Try this: Get a first generation iPhone or iPod touch and try to download some apps from the app store. That device is less than ten years old and is completely incompatible with today's apps. Do you think your ten year old car will fair better?

post #23 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrangerFX View Post

However future iOS devices connect to future CarPlay hardware will be different. Apps will be updated to newer versions of iOS and won't support old versions with old CarPlay SDK. Try this: Get a first generation iPhone or iPod touch and try to download some apps from the app store. That device is less than ten years old and is completely incompatible with today's apps. Do you think your ten year old car will fair better?

That has nothing to do with what you stated previously. CarPlay does not reside in your Car! Your argument is akin to saying that VGA or TCP/IP will not be around in 10 years after Apple first supported them.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #24 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeb View Post
 

 

Yeah, you're missing how CarPlay works. It's basically a protocol for displaying video on a screen and sending touch information back to the iphone. It's very lightweight and there's no reason why even IOS15 won't be able to interface with it. It's like a more sophisticated wireless touchpad + monitor.  The brains are still in the phone itself. 

The brains are in the apps in the phone. The apps may not support some ancient version of the protocol. Apple updates everything every year. Each time they update iOS they have to update Apple TV just to keep AirPlay working. Trust me as an app developer, your CarPlay automobile won't be compatible with anything except really old iPhones and iPads in ten years and those won't be compatible with apps or content. For example: Did you know that if you try to play the latest WWDC videos on an iOS 5 device, they won't play? That's version of iOS is only two years old.

post #25 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


That has nothing to do with what you stated previously. CarPlay does not reside in your Car! Your argument is akin to saying that VGA or TCP/IP will not be around in 10 years after Apple first supported them.

I beg to differ. A physical piece of hardware and software resides in your car in order to receive information via CarPlay and show it on a screen. That won't work in 10 years.

post #26 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

And what makes you think there won’t be software upgrades?

My original iPhone tells me there won't be software upgrades in ten years.

post #27 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrangerFX View Post

I beg to differ. A physical piece of hardware and software resides in your car in order to receive information via CarPlay and show it on a screen. That won't work in 10 years.

And how does your previous comment of, "Car makers need to make smart technology in their vehicles upgradable and Apple needs to sell iOS modules to let customers perform the upgrades themselves by simply inserting them into a slot in the dashboard or glove compartment." fit into this when it's still using the HW in the car.

Oh, BTW, the "iOS module" is the iPhone.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #28 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrangerFX View Post

My original iPhone tells me there won't be software upgrades in ten years.

Asking you to stop writing stupid shit won't happen but at least try to stay on point.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #29 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


And how does your previous comment of, "Car makers need to make smart technology in their vehicles upgradable and Apple needs to sell iOS modules to let customers perform the upgrades themselves by simply inserting them into a slot in the dashboard or glove compartment." fit into this when it's still using the HW in the car.

Oh, BTW, the "iOS module" is the iPhone.

If there was a slot into which you could  insert a new hardware module, you could upgrade it as frequently as you wanted in order to keep it compatible with the latest iOS versions from Apple. The back end would plug into power and the screen and would not need upgrading. The module would contain the latest Ax processor, RAM, flash storage, cellular technology, WiFi, GPS, motion sensing and so on.

post #30 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Asking you to stop writing stupid shit won't happen but at least try to stay on point.

Hi troll.

post #31 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrangerFX View Post

If there was a slot into which you could  insert a new hardware module, you could upgrade it as frequently as you wanted in order to keep it compatible with the latest iOS versions from Apple. The back end would plug into power and the screen and would not need upgrading. The module would contain the latest Ax processor, RAM, flash storage, cellular technology, WiFi, GPS, motion sensing and so on.

Holy shit! This is not a hard concept! How the **** can you use the Internet but not understand how CarPlay works?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #32 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrangerFX View Post

Hi troll.

Good one¡

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #33 of 46
Originally Posted by GrangerFX View Post
Hi troll.


Great argument. Just shut up, please.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #34 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post
 

Again, people should be driving their cars not entertaining themselves while they drive. and you wonder why we have road rage and people trying to kill each other while they drive.

Philadelphia, great town, but now I know not to drive there because of all the road rage. The funny thing about drivers where I live is while they do have their stupid phone up to their ear, I also see them putting on makeup, shaving, eating, smoking with the other hand out the window, looking straight ahead and now scanning the street for potential problems, using paper maps in their lap, reading books, and of course yelling at their kids in the back seat. All of these can cause accidents but the one I hate the most is the jackass driver who tailgates everyone and speeds around cars without a care in the world. They aren't on their phone and aren't listening to the radio, they're just driving like a maniac. Maybe a little soothing music would help them.

post #35 of 46
I say bring on the possibilities but it will be nice to hear some announcements of what vehicles will have it for people interetestsd in buying.
post #36 of 46
I just got a cryptic email from my BMW dealer to the effect of "... Just heard from hq that BMW will offer Carplay for 2015 models." If this is true, it's fabulous news. (Orders for 2015 models usually start around September 2014 in the US.)

On a related point, I was able to confirm that Audi will have Carplay only on European models in 2015. Unfortunately, US consumers get it a year later, in 2016.
post #37 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob53 View Post
 

Philadelphia, great town, but now I know not to drive there because of all the road rage. The funny thing about drivers where I live is while they do have their stupid phone up to their ear, I also see them putting on makeup, shaving, eating, smoking with the other hand out the window, looking straight ahead and now scanning the street for potential problems, using paper maps in their lap, reading books, and of course yelling at their kids in the back seat. All of these can cause accidents but the one I hate the most is the jackass driver who tailgates everyone and speeds around cars without a care in the world. They aren't on their phone and aren't listening to the radio, they're just driving like a maniac. Maybe a little soothing music would help them.

The future is in driver-less cars imo. Then all of the above will be fine. In fact personal car ownership is unbelievably wasteful. The day a car comes when I need it to and brings me where I want to go along the most efficient route, without me having to drive it, or park, will be a good day. The cost of car ownership is ridiculous.

post #38 of 46
Glad to hear that CarPlay, in some form or other, will be available on whatever my next car will be (actually, whatever my next BMW will be.) Not so happy to see that its GUI will be a screen full of icons. Familiar and intuitive? Yes. Handsfree? No.

I thought Apple was hyping their Siri Hands Free system pretty hard about a year ago. And I hope the CarPlay GUI hasn't completely replaced that. I'd rather say "Hey Siri..." than look down at the dash to hunt-and-peck at identically-sized icons with zero tactile feedback. It's perfect for mobile devices. Terrible for in-car control. But only slightly worse than BMW's iDrive mouse-puck with menu-driven display. And this is why BMW's display sticks up so high out of the dashboard: to put it more in-line with your normal eyes-on-road eye line.

The major cause of distracted driving accidents is *not* cognitive distraction (e.g. texting on a smartphone.) The major cause of distracted driving accidents is inattention, either of the "mind wandering" type or physically looking away from the road. And a screenful of icons absolutely forces you to look away from the road because there's no way to tap exactly the right icon without looking.

So maybe CarPlay GUI is mainly for the front seat passenger. And I'm pretty sure that Apple will keep the Hands Free "Hey Siri..." feature (as in iOS 8 beta.) But sooner or later somebody will try to sue them after they crash while trying to tap on a CarPlay icon.

Here's a little more on distracted driving: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distracted_driving

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #39 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeb View Post
 

 

Yeah, you're missing how CarPlay works. It's basically a protocol for displaying video on a screen and sending touch information back to the iphone. It's very lightweight and there's no reason why even IOS15 won't be able to interface with it. It's like a more sophisticated wireless touchpad + monitor.  The brains are still in the phone itself. 


So you're saying iOS Apps will support their function forever !

Darn those iPhone Apps I can't upgrade, to say nothing of my now useless ClarisWorks files.

post #40 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Then why are you against a system designed to get people's eyes off their iPhones and onto the road?

because it does not keep their eyes on the road, it force them to look at the display in the dash to do things. Today with nobs I do not have to lock I can locate and turn a nob it simple. I know everyone talks about voice controls I played with them all they do not work perfectly and when they fail to work then you have then look at the display and figure what to do and figure out what page to be on and which virtual button to push.

 

How many times has a App developer change the GUI in their app and the feature has moved or the virtual button move locations. Now image this driving down the road, their is not ability to use rote memory to locate most used items. 

 

Today I can drive my car at day or night and never take may eye off the road and control all aspect of my car by moving my hands to the correct controls.

 

If you want to get a real sense of how a car will be without physical controls go play with a Tesla, I love the car but hate the fact it have not physical controls everything is done via the large LCD panel in the middle of car. Yes it has voice controls but that means you have to remember all the command and again it is not perfect it some times does not work or do what you want. So you find that you spend more time looking at the display.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple's CarPlay could be in more than 24 million vehicles by 2019, report says
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's CarPlay could be in more than 24 million vehicles by 2019, report says