or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's CarPlay could be in more than 24 million vehicles by 2019, report says
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's CarPlay could be in more than 24 million vehicles by 2019, report says - Page 2

post #41 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Glad to hear that CarPlay, in some form or other, will be available on whatever my next car will be (actually, whatever my next BMW will be.) Not so happy to see that its GUI will be a screen full of icons. Familiar and intuitive? Yes. Handsfree? No.

I thought Apple was hyping their Siri Hands Free system pretty hard about a year ago. And I hope the CarPlay GUI hasn't completely replaced that. I'd rather say "Hey Siri..." than look down at the dash to hunt-and-peck at identically-sized icons with zero tactile feedback. It's perfect for mobile devices. Terrible for in-car control. But only slightly worse than BMW's iDrive mouse-puck with menu-driven display. And this is why BMW's display sticks up so high out of the dashboard: to put it more in-line with your normal eyes-on-road eye line.

The major cause of distracted driving accidents is *not* cognitive distraction (e.g. texting on a smartphone.) The major cause of distracted driving accidents is inattention, either of the "mind wandering" type or physically looking away from the road. And a screenful of icons absolutely forces you to look away from the road because there's no way to tap exactly the right icon without looking.

So maybe CarPlay GUI is mainly for the front seat passenger. And I'm pretty sure that Apple will keep the Hands Free "Hey Siri..." feature (as in iOS 8 beta.) But sooner or later somebody will try to sue them after they crash while trying to tap on a CarPlay icon.

Here's a little more on distracted driving: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distracted_driving

My exact point. Most people can not multi-task and in situation which are not life and death, but it is now okay to allow them to do things which will distract them while driving.

 

What see most time is something who start to drift from their lane and then all of a sudden realize what is going on and then over react to the situation and then swing back or forth or do not realize traffic is slow or stop and I am not talking about a tailgate who can not stop in time, these people have plenty of time they just reacted late. These people scare me on the road since you have no idea what they may do at any given time. I call them unpredictable driver and they cause accident since others around them do not expect them to do what they are doing.

post #42 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

because it does not keep their eyes on the road, it force them to look at the display in the dash to do things.

So right now people are having to use their iPhone to select songs and make calls but you think that having buttons on the steering wheel, which includes Siri, will make them look at the in-dash display more than their iPhone display? Are you saying looking at the iPhone is better than in-dash display? Why? Because you can hold it up in front of your face so you can keep an eye on the road? That's even worse than using your iPhone display whilst driving? Even using the Home Button for Siri on your iPhone without looking is less safe than CarPlay's ability to call Siri eyes-free from the steering wheel button.

Your argument sounds like the same logic that people use to say that you shouldn't teach teenagers about sex or offer birth control because it will make them more promiscuous. How about offering a safer way of doing what people will be doing regardless. We aren't going to see dashboard with AC and radio controls removed from cars so we might as well make the actions people have always done more safe.
Edited by SolipsismX - 7/10/14 at 4:46pm

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #43 of 46
I have a 1970 Subaru Liberty (Australian Version) of Legacy which came with a built in Sat Nav, priced at 4,000 AUD. Every time I want to upgrade the software it cost over $200 AUD!

I can't wait for the day where maps in your car will update for free over the internet with your iPhone. iPhone software gets updated regularly at no cost and I would say Car Play will be no different!

As for CarPlay lasting 10 years, I would be happy for my car to last 10 years! With depreciation and the insurance value of your car after 10 years, it's not really valid to keep a car going for that long! One small accident and it will be written off the road.

I'm also sure that if you did keep a car that long and there was a new and better version of Car Play it would be able to be retro-fitted, even for older cars. If it fits in your dash of course!

Being able to interact by using Siri would mean hands stay on the wheel and eyes on the road!

Bring it on. I can't wait for CarPlay!
post #44 of 46
My 2006 Jeep will have CarPlay as soon as I can find a good aftermarket solution. Been waiting for this since... forever. I have hated all the aftermarket interfaces to date (Kenwood, Alpine, Sony, Pioneer, etc). How come nobody knows how to make decent software except Apple?

Mac Mini, iPhone 4S, AppleTV, iPad.

-------------------------------------------------------
Mac user since 1996 ("The Dark Days")

Reply

Mac Mini, iPhone 4S, AppleTV, iPad.

-------------------------------------------------------
Mac user since 1996 ("The Dark Days")

Reply
post #45 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali View Post

WHERE THE HELL ARE THE APPLE aftermarket units???!!

Why? Are you interested in one?
iPad a Dream.
Reply
iPad a Dream.
Reply
post #46 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

 
Again, people should be driving their cars not entertaining themselves while they drive. and you wonder why we have road rage and people trying to kill each other while they drive.
Philadelphia, great town, but now I know not to drive there because of all the road rage. The funny thing about drivers where I live is while they do have their stupid phone up to their ear, I also see them putting on makeup, shaving, eating, smoking with the other hand out the window, looking straight ahead and now scanning the street for potential problems, using paper maps in their lap, reading books, and of course yelling at their kids in the back seat. All of these can cause accidents but the one I hate the most is the jackass driver who tailgates everyone and speeds around cars without a care in the world. They aren't on their phone and aren't listening to the radio, they're just driving like a maniac. Maybe a little soothing music would help them.

Philadelphia is known for its freedom, according to Elton John. Perhaps that is what causes the road rage.

Sounds as though you have some nimble-fingered multi-tasking drivers. If I could shave and eat at the same time, let alone drive as well, I'd shave five minutes off my routine.

Don't forget that music can enrage people, too. Maybe they're listening to too much rap.
iPad a Dream.
Reply
iPad a Dream.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple's CarPlay could be in more than 24 million vehicles by 2019, report says
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's CarPlay could be in more than 24 million vehicles by 2019, report says