or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Samsung compares Galaxy Tab S to iPad in continued anti-Apple ad campaign
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung compares Galaxy Tab S to iPad in continued anti-Apple ad campaign

post #1 of 62
Thread Starter 
Following up on last week's anti-Apple spot in which iPhone users were called "wall huggers," Samsung on Friday aired two ads aimed at iPad owners, touting Galaxy Tab S features like split-screen multitasking and Super AMOLED displays.




The first ad takes aim at iOS, noting Apple's mobile OS does not support "true" multitasking. As seen in the video below, a father tries to -- unsuccessfully -- share a tablet bearing a striking resemblance to the iPad with his baby. Without split-screen multitasking, dad can't track a soccer match and keep baby entertained with "Rio."

While onscreen graphics (which are simulated) fail to directly show iOS, the operating system's lack of a split-screen mode has previously been used as anti-Apple fodder by Microsoft in its ads for Windows. Samsung is doing much the same.

A narrator chimes in with his thoughts on the situation, suggesting the problem is easily solved with Samsung's Galaxy Tab S.

"What's going on? Ah, it looks like dad's tablet can only do one thing at a time. What if it were a Samsung Galaxy Tab S? With the Galaxy Tab S, the whole family has something to smile about."



Apple has long been rumored to include a split-screen solution for its iPad lineup, but evidence of the feature remained elusive. However, recently-discovered code from an iOS 8 beta build strongly suggests the company is working to roll out split-screen viewing in the near future.

Samsung's second spot is less of an anti-Apple ad than it is a swipe at LCD technology. Apple's iPad, and many current tablet offerings from rival manufacturers, use high-resolution LCD panels, while Samsung has been touting its AMOLED screens, branded as "Super AMOLED."

Once again, the disembodied voice suggests an alternative in the Galaxy Tab S, saying, "What went wrong here? Ah, it's not a Super AMOLED. What if it were a Samsung Galaxy Tab S? Compared to many LCDs, Super AMOLEDs give you 100 times higher contrast. Instead of 1000-to-1, you get 100,000-to-1 contrast."

The ad does, however, offer a fairly concise explanation of the differences between the two display technologies:

Conventional LCDs get their color using a backlight, but Super AMOLEDs turn off pixel by pixel, each emitting their own light. So you get all the fine details and varied shades of black that many LCDs can't show.





At the end of each commercial, the narrator wraps things up by asking, "Do you see what I see," a departure from Samsung's "Next big thing is here" tagline for its Galaxy S smartphone lineup.
post #2 of 62
OK, I actually find that commercial kind of cute (the one with the kid). And it plays up the strengths of multitasking windows (even if it may not appeal to YOU personally).

Still wouldn't buy a Galaxy Tab S though.
post #3 of 62

Oh quick. Apple did a parenting ad. We need a parenting ad too!

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #4 of 62

I don't believe that contrast ad for a moment. The guy is wearing a white shirt. If that didn't show up on an iPad I would complain too, but we all know it was just a lie.

 

Read the last disclaimer screen. "Certain images and video may be enhanced."


Edited by mstone - 7/11/14 at 5:29pm

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #5 of 62
Who cares... Most screens from the first retina on up look great...

Who is choosing a pad based on screen quality anymore.

No airprint? Then forget it for me.

Does it sync with my mac content? Oh i need to do what? Buy a windows computer?

Folks can keep pretending that the android ecosystem is better... Why? Interchangeable keyboard and widgets?

ALL my investment dollars are on apple. There is no way i am going to buy any samsung stock.

Apple has fixed most shortcomings eventually and i continue to trust that they will do that. The "best" screen is obsolete within 2 years now...
post #6 of 62
This will double their tablet sales. I'll bet they sell over 200 this quarter

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #7 of 62

Samsung has done a great job with that first ad to convince me I want a tablet that does split screen.

 

Apple has done a great job over the years to convince me I want a rock-solid OS that doesn't have malware and doesn't share my personal information.

 

There's only one thing to do.  Upgrade my iPad to iOS 8 when it comes out.  Next problem!

I have enough money to last the rest of my life. Unless I buy something. - Jackie Mason
Reply
I have enough money to last the rest of my life. Unless I buy something. - Jackie Mason
Reply
post #8 of 62

I will remember that the next time I need to keep a baby entertained with Rio.

(No I won't)

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #9 of 62

Are we still on Super AMOLED? I thought by now we were on Super-Duper-Duper AMOLED now with more specs.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #10 of 62

Why doesn't the dude just get the tyke his own tablet and then they won't have to share?  Making fun of Apple's products are easy to do if you pick out features that iOS doesn't support and I'm sure there's plenty of them.  I suppose multitasking could be useful for some things, but I'd hardly think it was a deal-breaker.  I guess you buy what you need.  I think Samsung is wasting its time using comparisons to Apple's iPad because Samsung should be pushing the merits of its tablet without any reference to the iPad at all.  I like that commercial but I doubt it will have any negative impact upon iPad sales.

post #11 of 62
Now remind me, which is the company that has had to announce falling profits in the last three quarters? Ah yes, the Galaxy S hit maker... and that's while relying on Apple to provide new ideas for them!
post #12 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

I suppose multitasking could be useful for some things, but I'd hardly think it was a deal-breaker.

Note that iOS had multitasking from day one and background app APIs for years now. This is split screen, which, as you say, can have some useful aspects but mostly it's just going to be an annoyance on a small display unless it's designed well… which I have yet to see.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #13 of 62
I have slowly become an apple guy (not a FANBOY), just a guy that wanted to see what the hype was about, and although IMO--overpriced, I enjoy using my macbook pro. I am considering getting an iPad when the new ones come out, but not 100% sold on it. Not sure I need a tablet.

I must say, all the negative responses to samsung ads is getting a little long in the tooth. So what if they are comparing their stuff to what we use. No big deal. Or what is their saying, No next big thing , something like that. I don't care, but being new to apple products, and reading the "apple" pages, I do feel irritated by the comments. Let it go people. Who really cares that much.

There, lol, vent done.

Enjoy what you can have, and don't worry about what others have or are buying. Be yourself.
lol. I laugh at that last comment I made because i did just the opposite, and purchased an apple product because of the hype from others. hehehe
post #14 of 62
I'll be interested to see if Samsung even supports this model with updates past a year.
post #15 of 62
Split screen will merely cause you have a crossed eye!

Just look at the kid eye!
post #16 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonlyihad1 View Post

I have slowly become an apple guy (not a FANBOY), just a guy that wanted to see what the hype was about, and although IMO--overpriced, I enjoy using my macbook pro. I am considering getting an iPad when the new ones come out, but not 100% sold on it. Not sure I need a tablet.

I must say, all the negative responses to samsung ads is getting a little long in the tooth. So what if they are comparing their stuff to what we use. No big deal. Or what is their saying, No next big thing , something like that. I don't care, but being new to apple products, and reading the "apple" pages, I do feel irritated by the comments. Let it go people. Who really cares that much.

There, lol, vent done.

Enjoy what you can have, and don't worry about what others have or are buying. Be yourself.
lol. I laugh at that last comment I made because i did just the opposite, and purchased an apple product because of the hype from others. hehehe

Thats just how we are.  We love Apple- we hate the rest. (kind of kidding)

Id recommend hanging out here for a couple months- particularly when the new iPhone gets released.  Watch and observe the trolls gushing in- and you'll then understand our hatred. ;)

 

I will say; however- This is Samsung.  They are the worst of the worst of the worst.  I can point you to a Roku/Apple TV thread a couple back where Roku is kindly talked about because they make a solid product.  Same with Pebble when its brought up in Smart Watch discussion.  Samsung gets the hate, because well- they deserve it.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #17 of 62

These ads are horrendous, on so many levels. Not because of Samsung- some of their earlier "Next big thing" ads have been witty/funny, even if not accurate. But there ads are just...bad. Theyre trying so, so hard to invent scenarios where split screen is actually desirable, and failing miserably. 

 

Ad 1:

 

- So, the dad chooses to watch a soccer match that spans 1/8 of a tablets display? Really, is that actually enjoyable?

- In what fucking world would someone CHOOSE to watch those things split screened? And have audio coming out of one? He can't afford a damn TV for his kid (or himself?) or a 2nd cheap-ass tablet? Any solution would be 1000% better than the one they're trying to advertise. Perfect example of shoving a feature down peoples throats no matter how shitty it is. 

- Notice how hes manually propping the tablet at an angle with his hands with no support? Yeah, what a realistic thing someone would do. Is he gonna do that for the full 2 hr movie? I got uncomfortable just watching the ad for a couple seconds.

- Why is the keyboard so fucking tiny on that tablet display? UI looks absolutely horrible

- The sidesync thing..wow. What a lazy, awkward interface. Instead of intelligently deciding to display notifications, they mirror the whole damn phone screen. Hilarious. 

 

Ad 2:

 

- The whole ad was incredibly boring, it seemed like I was listening to an overly drawn out technical lecture. And what the **** are they doing, anyway? Just a dull ad trying to bash an aspect of iPads that I think people are happy with- the displays. From what I've seen, Samsungs displays are an over-saturated, inaccurate mess of colors. Yeah, they stand out in stores, at the expense of any type of accuracy. 

- What kind of douchebags watch a movie simultaneously on 2 tablets side by side? I've never seen that in my life, and I hope I never do. I love how in both these ads people are doing things much more suited to a TV. 

 

Worst ads ever. I hope they stick with the "Do you see what I see" tagline though. Its so fucking awkward. 


Edited by Slurpy - 7/12/14 at 12:45am
post #18 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mejsric View Post

Split screen will merely cause you have a crossed eye!

Just look at the kid eye!

exactly what i was about to say... split seeen = mesed up eyes.
post #19 of 62
ad is perfectly targeted. Most Android users can't afford 2 devices, so have to share their pad with the kid.

apple family probably have disposable income to afford more devices

1wink.gif
post #20 of 62

More desperation from the Copy King♛—On its downturn.

OK boys ’n girls,

Hands ready at your handles:

1, 2, Flush!

Bye, bye Sam-i.

​Lie, Lying, Liest Low

Market is the King!

​And Netherworld

​Flushed—new realm,

In Hell’s choir,

There Ye sing.

 

I believe that singing in hell is a bit of a misnomer for Choral Screaming.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply
post #21 of 62
That guy is so cheap he can't afford an iPad for his kid to play all on his own.
He probably doesn't even let his kid touch his Galaxy. What a tool...
post #22 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiepaul View Post

That guy is so cheap he can't afford an iPad for his kid to play all on his own.
He probably doesn't even let his kid touch his Galaxy. What a tool...

There's no way I'd give my kid a $500 Air or $400 Retina Mini for himself -- that's how you raise entitled brats. My kid has a $70, refurbished Kindle Fire HD. He can get a $500 tablet when he pays for it himself 1smile.gif
post #23 of 62
They were so busy copying Apple's products that they forgot to copy Apple's way of making money... D'oh!
post #24 of 62
In the news, Federal prosecutors are investigating Samsung for child abuse in forcing infant to cry for the filming of a TV commercial. In other news, child's father arrested for child abuse, and for being too stupid to watch his game on TV while his small child watched his movie on a tablet.
post #25 of 62

I think this obsession Samsung has is unhealthy. 

 

Most of their commercials come across as douche-y. Negative, snarky, just plain douche-y. 

 

I guess I'm too old or something to get them.

post #26 of 62
The guy must be too poor to afford a TV, I'd just watch the soccer on one of the many TV's scattered around my house.

Someone from work was whining that the security software we have to install doesn't work with the S5's fingerprint scanner necessitating the use of a password, unlike the iPhone 5s.

I guess that's what you get when you settle for a lame copy.
Edited by hill60 - 7/11/14 at 9:43pm
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #27 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonlyihad1 View Post

I have slowly become an apple guy (not a FANBOY), just a guy that wanted to see what the hype was about, and although IMO--overpriced, I enjoy using my macbook pro. I am considering getting an iPad when the new ones come out, but not 100% sold on it. Not sure I need a tablet.

I must say, all the negative responses to samsung ads is getting a little long in the tooth. So what if they are comparing their stuff to what we use. No big deal. Or what is their saying, No next big thing , something like that. I don't care, but being new to apple products, and reading the "apple" pages, I do feel irritated by the comments. Let it go people. Who really cares that much.

There, lol, vent done.

Enjoy what you can have, and don't worry about what others have or are buying. Be yourself.
lol. I laugh at that last comment I made because i did just the opposite, and purchased an apple product because of the hype from others. hehehe

What iPhones and iPads have is 64bit and those pieces of Samsung junk don't.

Nanananama!
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #28 of 62

Ambled does have its upside, they forgot to mention the lower number of sub pixels, different screen colour temperature & high saturation & no colour accuracy. 
Yeah who cares about those things, contract is everything :P
Really tho, apple might go to amoled at some point, it does save on power, but the image on an amoled has a strange quality to it.

post #29 of 62
Super lame, amateurish commercials. This is a first for me—the ad is so obscure the announcer has to ask, "what's going on?" Lame.
post #30 of 62
Why can I see the man hiding in the shadows on the Samsung screen when I'm watching the commercial on my iPad? Shouldn't he still be invisible?
post #31 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post
 

Thats just how we are.  We love Apple- we hate the rest. (kind of kidding)

Id recommend hanging out here for a couple months- particularly when the new iPhone gets released.  Watch and observe the trolls gushing in- and you'll then understand our hatred. ;)

 

I will say; however- This is Samsung.  They are the worst of the worst of the worst.  I can point you to a Roku/Apple TV thread a couple back where Roku is kindly talked about because they make a solid product.  Same with Pebble when its brought up in Smart Watch discussion.  Samsung gets the hate, because well- they deserve it.

I agree with you here! I'm glad you can look at it from a nice perspective vs. the whole "Non-Apple users are poor!!1!11!" threads.

 

I personally don't agree with that, but it's just me. So, is there anyway you can make September come faster so I can get my new iPhone?! :smokey:

Insert Witty Comment Here
Reply
Insert Witty Comment Here
Reply
post #32 of 62

Samsung does a great job with their marketing department, but Apple fans shouldn't take the TV ad personally. Quite frankly, I like the competitiveness of Samsung - as this will make Apple strive to do even more. I have a iPad mini Retina and the lack of muti-tasking does not worry me. However, I do like those Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2, but not that price tag though.

post #33 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Why doesn't the dude just get the tyke his own tablet and then they won't have to share? 
At 600-900$ a pop, I doubt it, but then again seeing all the 6-12 year olds in my family have an iPad made me wonder if they get more value out of having separate ones for each kid.

I think the video is missing the point of a tablet, or any other entertainment device, in that you can only realistically watch one thing at a time, and that doesn't represent multitasking. The Microsoft ad using video chat and "let me show you something" is more representative of something you can't do properly with a tablet to begin with, when the software by design stops and has to restart. You can in fact multi-task apps on the iPad (eg an SSH prompt, email, etc) as long as the software hasn't been idle too long. On the other hand, no game I've played on the iPad really likes multitasking and tends to be paused (or in the case of EA stuff, restart entirely) when task switched, which is a power-conserving feature, not a bug.

My question in direction to the video, is how long the battery life was while doing both things. Considering that their other ad is about hugging walls to stay charged.
post #34 of 62
Even the baby in the ad knows a better solution would be to get two iPad Mini's.
post #35 of 62
These ads are probably contributing to the reduction in sales of Samsung's mobile products (except for the cheap low-end products).

Samsung has a unique advertising strategy to insult their their prospective buyers (and also to insult their intelligence).

Like last year's ads (which included an ad depicting iPhone users as mindless line-waiting fools), this year's "wall huggers" (which depicts Apple iPhone users as mindless wall-hugging fools), and iPad users as parents who ignore their children to focus on something else, but who really should instead show fake interest in their children by continuing to focus on something else, but keep their kid quiet by putting a video on taking up half the tablet. Really???

This is probably contributing to the much greater migration of Samsung users to iPhone and iPad, than the other way around.
post #36 of 62
These ads are probably doing the opposite of what they were intended for, and contributing to the reduction in sales and revenues of Samsung's mobile products (except for the cheap low-end products).

Samsung seems to have a unique advertising strategy to insult their their prospective buyers (and also to insult their intelligence).

Like last year's ads (which included an ad depicting iPhone users as mindless line-waiting fools), this year's "wall huggers" (which depicts Apple iPhone users as mindless wall-hugging fools), and iPad users as parents who ignore their children to focus on something else, but who really should instead show fake interest in their children by continuing to focus on something else, but keep their kid quiet by putting a video on taking up half the tablet. Really???

It seems that Samsung hasn't heard of AirPlay (or they are vainly hoping that there is an iOS user who hasn't ;-)). With AirPlay the kid could be watching his movie on a full-sized TV instead of in a tiny half-sized portion of the Samsung tablet. And the iPad user gets to do what they want to do on the full-screen of the iPad... not reduced by 50% like on the Samsung tablet.

These brain-dead ads are probably contributing to the much greater migration of Samsung users to iPhone and iPad, than the other way around.
post #37 of 62
I'm going to sell my Samsung Bluray player.... I'm over them.
post #38 of 62

These Samsung discussions are one of the few things I dislike about AppleInsider. Not only are the comments always the same, so much so that you could literally copy and paste the comments from a Samsung thread that was created 5 years ago into this one and no one would be the wiser, they also bring out the worst in people. Ironically there isn't many products in Apples line up that doesn't contain a component from Samsung or has an Apple designed component that's manufactured by Samsung. However because it's not visible to the user no hypocrisy has been committed. Back in 1988 The Christians boycotted the movie, "The Last Temptation of Christ" and the studio behind it, Universal, however it turned out to be a harder endeavor then initially thought do to Universals mass reach in the world of media and the amount subsidiaries they controlled. Plus, God forbid the men of those Christian families didn't lineup out side the theaters just a year later to see GoodFellas. My point being is if you truly hate Samsung and refuse to use their products your going to have to go all in to do so and not simply choose the products that you deem worthy or you're just being hypocritical, oh so now it's okay to just use some of Samsung's products, great, then in that case can we stop posting these ridiculously comments over and over and over and over again, that bring absolutely nothing of worth while to this forum. If it's just to much of a sacrifice to make because hating is so much fun, then may I suggest the creation of a single thread in which all of future comments for news pertaining to Samsung point to it automatically. Hopefully the amount repetitive comments will just eventually discourage people from posting their all together.

 

I don't mean to come across as a jerk but you guys have so much more to offer then just hate. You don't like Samsung, fine, we all know now, no need for anymore discussion on the matter.

 

Just say no to link bait.

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #39 of 62
Originally Posted by Relic View Post
However because it's not visible to the user no hypocrisy has been committed.

 

No, because no hypocrisy has been committed has no hypocrisy been committed. That’s not tautological; it’s… well, it is, but it’s valid.

 
Hopefully the amount repetitive comments will just eventually discourage people from posting their all together.

 

Hopefully Samsung threads pulling trolls out of the woodwork would result in the banning of the trolls. Thing is, it doesn’t. 

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #40 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

No, because no hypocrisy has been committed has no hypocrisy been committed. That’s not tautological; it’s… well, it is, but it’s valid.

 

Hopefully Samsung threads pulling trolls out of the woodwork would result in the banning of the trolls. Thing is, it doesn’t. 

Fair enough, oh we can always ask people if they are troll before they sign up to AppleInsider, if they say yes we deny entry.

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Samsung compares Galaxy Tab S to iPad in continued anti-Apple ad campaign
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Samsung compares Galaxy Tab S to iPad in continued anti-Apple ad campaign