or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Video shows rumored 'iPhone 6' sapphire front panel destroyed by car

Video shows rumored 'iPhone 6' sapphire front panel destroyed by car

post #1 of 84
After multiple torture tests, a purported sapphire front cover rumored to be bound for Apple's 4.7-inch "iPhone 6" has finally been broken, but getting there took a car weighing 1.6 tons.

The supposed sapphire display cover started making the rounds online on Monday and has since been subjected to all variety of stress testing to determine the part's durability.

In a video posted to YouTube on Wednesday by HK Apple Daily, the component is put through the usual battery of scratch testing, stabbing and bending before seeing savage assessment involving fire and, ultimately, a car.

As seen below, testers are able to shatter the purported iPhone front cover by crushing it with a 1.6-ton vehicle. The result may be expected, though a closer look at the subsequent destruction yields some interesting clues as to the part's makeup and design.

Note the most damaged portion of the cover is the edge that first makes contact with the tire. It appears the overwhelming force shattered this leading edge and quickly propagated toward the trailing edge, breaking off a substantial portion of the window that was likewise crushed as the car moved over it.

Since a piece of the glass broke off cleanly -- without "spiderwebbing" -- by a compressive force rather than a high-energy kinetic impact, it can be inferred that the material is strengthened and possibly made of laminated layers. This does not necessarily mean the part is made of sapphire, but few materials can withstand extreme bending and exhibit resilience to surface scratches while being shatter resistant.

Corning's most advanced Gorilla Glass shares similar properties, but is still vulnerable to high velocity impacts as evidenced in numerous smartphone drop tests.

AppleInsider this week reported on an Apple patent for strengthening single-crystal sapphire through "residual compressive stress," which basically describes advanced tempering techniques. Another patent for lamination processes details construction methods in which a sapphire glass layup can be made flexible while retaining superior surface hardness.

Whether the purported iPhone front cover glass is actually made of sapphire or some other hardened material has yet to be determined, but it is interesting to see the part come out (mostly) unscathed from some serious abuse.
post #2 of 84
So… this is happening.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #3 of 84

Maybe, maybe not. The video could be completely faked.

It wouldn't be the first time either.

No way to say with an degree of certainty until we see an actual shipping product. But hey, page views are all that really count around here, right?

post #4 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

Maybe, maybe not. The video could be completely faked.

It wouldn't be the first time either.

No way to say with an degree of certainty until we see an actual shipping product. But hey, page views are all that really count around here, right?

It could be faked but my gut is saying it isn't.

post #5 of 84

I guess if people don't chuck their iPhones in the middle of a highly trafficked road, then they should be ok!:lol:

I also think that we wont be seeing any sapphire displays on any Android phones any time soon. Apple is the only one who has the resources to do what they do at the scale that they do.

These are the kind of innovations and advances that Apple needs to continue doing. 

post #6 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I guess if people don't chuck their iPhones in the middle of a highly trafficked road, then they should be ok!lol.gif

That's the only part of the video that seems wrong to me. I'd think a 1.6 tonne vehicle wouldn't be an issue especially since we're talking about it being 1/4 the weight with 50/50 load balanced car and the force spread out over the entire front panel area. Wouldn't that be force per square mm than a nail being hammered?

post #7 of 84

Get ready for a class action suit by SUV owners.

/s

post #8 of 84
Good!

and now Apple can focus on something that to prevent scratches, dings and dents on the back.
post #9 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That's the only part of the video that seems wrong to me. I'd think a 1.6 tonne vehicle wouldn't be an issue especially since we're talking about it being 1/4 the weight with 50/50 load balanced car and the force spread out over the entire front panel area. Wouldn't that be force per square mm than a nail being hammered?

Unless there were a pebble or some other point contact between the ground and the panel that the weight of the vehicle compressed the panel onto. Seems like that might be the explanation there. What I find interesting is that the only thing that destroyed the panel would have destroyed the guts of the phone anyway, assuming the panel didn't break but instead deformed (bent inward) transferring the weight of the vehicle to the phone's internal components. So that means the panel might be stronger than it even needs to be for the application it's being used in.
I don't care about what the ignorant masses perceive as truth. I'm concerned with the facts on the ground.
I don't care about what the ignorant masses perceive as truth. I'm concerned with the facts on the ground.
post #10 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunlo View Post

and now Apple can focus on something that to prevent scratches, dings and dents on the back.

I don't think that it is reasonable to expect that everything should be 100% klutz proof.

If somebody is a complete klutz and constantly goes around dropping their phone (or any other item), then chances are that it just might show signs of being abused eventually.

post #11 of 84
With due respect, I want to complain about AI's headline. It's true, the video shows the panel being destroyed by a car (or heavy truck), but that's only AFTER the video shows the panel surviving quite a number of dramatic tests. I think the video shows us that almost nothing can break the sapphire panel, but AI's headline tells us that the panel is breakable, and it falsely implies that the panel might be not that hard to break.
post #12 of 84
Quote:

If it's a real video then I hope we see this material used for something somewhere. It bothers me when progress is stifled because of money.

Anyone remember Starlite? It was featured on a local news station here in the late 80's early 90's. Nothing has been done with it.

An example...

http://youtu.be/RxqFyDugqs4
post #13 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post

If it's a real video then I hope we see this material used for something somewhere. It bothers me when progress is stifled because of money.

What do you mean? If the video is real, then we'll be seeing it on the next iPhones! :lol: Does that not qualify as being used for something somewhere?:\

I am also a strong believer in stifling progress for others, due to money. As long as Apple users benefit from this, then screw everybody else! I hope that this is way too expensive for any other manufacturers to consider. Then it wont matter if somebody else wants to steal or copy Apple's idea, because they wont be able to!:lol:

It is my desire that Android users remain in the dark ages. Apple users are like the Jetsons, and Android users are like the Flintstones, and that's the way that things should remain.:smokey: 

post #14 of 84
Quote:

What do you mean? If the video is real, then we'll be seeing it on the next iPhones! lol.gif  Does that not qualify as being used for something somewhere?1hmm.gif

I am also a strong believer in stifling progress for others, due to money. As long as Apple users benefit from this, then screw everybody else! I hope that this is way too expensive for any other manufacturers to consider. Then it wont matter if somebody else wants to steal or copy Apple's idea, because they wont be able to!lol.gif

It is my desire that Android users remain in the dark ages. Apple users are like the Jetsons, and Android users are like the Flintstones, and that's the way that things should remain.1smoking.gif  

I'm kind of more for progress as a whole humanity society. I'm all for patents because they don't last very long and after that everyone can use the idea. When companies file patents the clock starts ticking the second it's submitted once it's approved. The example I provided a link to has been known for between 30 and 40 years and absolutely no one has benefited from it.

There's another from around the same time period that completely eradicated tooth decay and even repaired damaged teeth. I'm having a hard time finding it though. I would be very happy if even one company released either of those materials.
Edited by Silver Shadow - 7/11/14 at 9:03pm
post #15 of 84
But... But.... But.... we have AMOLED!!!

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #16 of 84
Quote:

I'm kind of more for progress as a whole humanity society. I'm all for patents because they don't last very long and after that everyone can use the idea. When companies file patents the clock starts ticking the second it's submitted once it's approved. The example I provided a link to has been known for between 30 and 40 years and absolutely no one has benefited from it.

There's another from around the same time period that completely eradicated tooth decay. I'm having a hard time finding it though. I would be very happy if even one company released either of those materials.

I'm definitely not a progress for humanity type of guy, but that's ok, we can have differing views on that topic.

As for the egg video, if that material were truly that great, then why hasn't anybody done anything with it?

post #17 of 84
Quote:

I'm definitely not a progress for humanity type of guy...

You don't want humanity to progress?

post #18 of 84
Quote:

I'm definitely not a progress for humanity type of guy, but that's ok, we can have differing views on that topic.

As for the egg video, if that material were truly that great, then why hasn't anybody done anything with it?

Because the guy who invented it died several years ago. He never shared the secret of that material. Supposedly his relatives know it.

He withheld the formula from the likes of Corning, DuPont and others because he was demanding a LOT of money. I know the whole story besides the recipe. It's actually nuclear proff as well.

The one that bothers me most though is the the one that rebuilds teeth. Still can't find it and I'm about to give up.
post #19 of 84
Quote:

You don't want humanity to progress?

Only certain groups.

I'm not one of those people who believes that everything should be free or that everything should be equally available to everybody.

People and corporations who invest considerable amounts of their own money into researching new ideas, products and medicines deserve to reap all of the rewards, as they are the ones taking all of the risks.

A good example is a bio tech stock that I own, GILD (which is at all time highs now, yippie for me). They have this one amazing new drug called Sovaldi which costs $1000 per pill, per day. It's practically a cure for hepatitis-C. They are not a charity, and if somebody can't afford it, then too bad for them. They have invested an incredible amount of money, and they are definitely entitled to recoup and to even profit on their hard work. 

A society where innovators and risk takers are not rewarded would be a terribly primitive society. There's a reason that so much innovation has happened in the USA, compared to other places on the planet. It's not random luck.

post #20 of 84
Quote:

Because the guy who invented it died several years ago. He never shared the secret of that material. Supposedly his relatives know it.

He withheld the formula from the likes of Corning, DuPont and others because he was demanding a LOT of money. I know the whole story besides the recipe. It's actually nuclear proff as well.

The one that bothers me most though is the the one that rebuilds teeth. Still can't find it and I'm about to give up.

If his relatives know about the secret makeup of that material, then surely they would be selling it? I have to admit, that the story smells kind of fishy.

post #21 of 84
Quote:

Only certain groups.

I'm not one of those people who believes that everything should be free or that everything should be equally available to everybody.

People and corporations who invest considerable amounts of their own money into researching new ideas, products and medicines deserve to reap all of the rewards, as they are the ones taking all of the risks.

A good example is a bio tech stock that I own, GILD (which is at all time highs now, yippie for me). They have this one amazing new drug called Sovaldi which costs $1000 per pill, per day. It's practically a cure for hepatitis-C. They are not a charity, and if somebody can't afford it, then too bad for them. They have invested an incredible amount of money, and they are definitely entitled to recoup and to even profit on their hard work. 

A society where innovators and risk takers are not rewarded would be a terribly primitive society. There's a reason that so much innovation has happened in the USA, compared to other places on the planet. It's not random luck.

So if someone can not afford a cure for a disease they have you would like to see them die?

Let me tell you a secret. Money has no real value, but a life is real. If you and I were in a desert, you having a billion dollars and me having several gallons of water do you think I'd take any of your money in exchange for my water?

I may be getting a little deep here, but inhumane views like yours are disturbing to say the least.
post #22 of 84
Quote:

So if someone can not afford a cure for a disease they have you would like to see them die?

Let me tell you a secret. Money has no real value, but a life is real. If you and I were in a desert, you having a billion dollars and me having several gallons of water do you think I'd take any of your money in exchange for my water?

I may be getting a little deep here, but inhumane views like yours are disturbing to say the least.

Oh definitely. If I somehow came up with the cure for cancer tomorrow, do you think that I'd be giving it away for free? :lol:

No siree. If I invented the cure for cancer, then I would expect no less than to become the richest person on the planet. Warren Buffet would be a bum compared to me. I wouldn't price the cure so expensive that the average person (in a developed country) couldn't afford it, but I would probably price it at around the cost of a house. What's more important to people, their house or their life?

As for your desert scenario, of course money would be completely worthless in that situation.

post #23 of 84
Quote:

Oh definitely. If I somehow came up with the cure for cancer tomorrow, do you think that I'd be giving it away for free? lol.gif

No siree. If I invented the cure for cancer, then I would expect no less than to become the richest person on the planet. Warren Buffet would be a bum compared to me. I wouldn't price the cure so expensive that the average person (in a developed country) couldn't afford it, but I would probably price it at around the cost of a house. What's more important to people, their house or their life?

As for your desert scenario, of course money would be completely worthless in that situation.

You're astounding. Once you witness some of those deaths first hand I hope you come back to Earth. There are others here besides just you.

Seeing as you won't even Google...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starlite

I'm not going to derail this thread any further. Apparently damage done. I was hoping for a discussion on the merits of the material in the original article and showing an example of how something great just gets hidden or lost.
post #24 of 84
Why would any if these torture tests matter without a control? Without the same tests performed on Gorilla Glass 3 also, these aren't just suspicious but also have no value.
post #25 of 84
Quote:

Glad you brought that up. Working the math it's about 800 lbs per tire assuming it's equally distributed. That would be substantially more than I would expect with the how hard he was hammering or driving the nail. What I'm concerned about is more along the lines of if sapphire is going to require the anti-smudge coating as I hear that for the current screens that that is what actually scratches rather than the glass itself. If not then I'm pretty excited to have this on the new iPhones.
post #26 of 84
Quote:

I believe this is happening and my gut says that this is Apple prepping us. It just seems that the slow leak of info that happens prior to any new Apple release is the perfect (covert) firm of marketing. Free marketing. I may be wrong but Apple sure as he'll is not losing anything by these leaks 1smile.gif
post #27 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInSD View Post

Glad you brought that up. Working the math it's about 800 lbs per tire assuming it's equally distributed. That would be substantially more than I would expect with the how hard he was hammering or driving the nail. What I'm concerned about is more along the lines of if sapphire is going to require the anti-smudge coating as I hear that for the current screens that that is what actually scratches rather than the glass itself. If not then I'm pretty excited to have this on the new iPhones.

That's the thing. Sapphire and synthetically produced sapphire is non-porus. So just the screen itself would be better than any screen protector you could buy at the moment other than the current Sapphire screen protectors that are currently on the market. A simple wipe on your sleeve or shirt would remove almost any oil, which is still what you need to do with the polymer screen protectors that have hit mass market.

Sapphire is used in dental implants because nothing "sticks" to it.

I'm surprised the Apple Rumor sites haven't noted this in any of their articles.
post #28 of 84
Quote:

That is a useless argument as the money would have no value.

Do you work for free? Why should others? If someone has a cure, and you don't want people to die, YOU buy them the cure. 

But why would most people invest time and money into something they won't get anything from? It is not really human nature. 

Sure, it would be nice if a bunch of people were running around inventing everything that cost you nothing but improved your life, but that is not how things work for the most part. People take risks, they expect to be rewarded if those risks pan out. Why is that so bad? 

post #29 of 84
In other words... They are going to sell a whole hell of a lot of phones and resale value is going to be better than ever.

I hope they got scratchproof and dentproof manufacturing liquidmetal also done... The competition will get stomped on.
post #30 of 84
Quote:

That's the thing. Sapphire and synthetically produced sapphire is non-porus. So just the screen itself would be better than any screen protector you could buy at the moment other than the current Sapphire screen protectors that are currently on the market. A simple wipe on your sleeve or shirt would remove almost any oil, which is still what you need to do with the polymer screen protectors that have hit mass market.

Sapphire is used in dental implants because nothing "sticks" to it.

I'm surprised the Apple Rumor sites haven't noted this in any of their articles.

Well, was looking it up and found that they patented an OLEOPHOBIC COATING ON SAPPHIRE, so it's possible that we might still see scratches on iPhone screens, I don't see anything to suggest that these coating will resist scratches.

http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.html&r=1&p=1&f=G&l=50&d=PG01&S1=(428%2F432.CCLS.+AND+20140327.PD.)&OS=ccl/428/432+and+pd/3/27/2014&RS=(CCL/428/432+AND+PD/20140327)
post #31 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

That is a useless argument as the money would have no value.

Do you work for free? Why should others? If someone has a cure, and you don't want people to die, YOU buy them the cure. 

But why would most people invest time and money into something they won't get anything from? It is not really human nature. 

Sure, it would be nice if a bunch of people were running around inventing everything that cost you nothing but improved your life, but that is not how things work for the most part. People take risks, they expect to be rewarded if those risks pan out. Why is that so bad? 

You missed the point of my statement. The purpose was to show that money has no value, which is exactly what you said.

Edit: I'm not against making money per say. The lack of regard for other people was what I was answering. However, money is a faith. It's not an absolute intrinsic value.
Edited by Silver Shadow - 7/11/14 at 10:34pm
post #32 of 84
Quote:

Well, was looking it up and found that they patented an OLEOPHOBIC COATING ON SAPPHIRE, so it's possible that we might still see scratches on iPhone screens, I don't see anything to suggest that these coating will resist scratches.

http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.html&r=1&p=1&f=G&l=50&d=PG01&S1=(428%2F432.CCLS.+AND+20140327.PD.)&OS=ccl/428/432+and+pd/3/27/2014&RS=(CCL/428/432+AND+PD/20140327)

I saw that patent also, although your link is broken.

I'm hoping they are either trying to "cover their bases" by patenting any derivative technology, or have engineered a separate solution. Sapphire by it's actual nature would not need any type of "screen protector". You also have to realize that you can not patent Sapphire as a material. You can only patent treatments or manufacturing processes for Sapphire.

So even though Apple][ only wants App,e to use Sapphire, anyone can use it without a patent. It's just cost relevant at this point. Corning's smear campaign will not last long. They use glass, which has always been a treatment application. Basically they're just making sand better. However sand will still abrade on any Corning treatment.
Edited by Silver Shadow - 7/11/14 at 10:48pm
post #33 of 84
But...will it blend?
Edited by Suddenly Newton - 7/11/14 at 11:00pm

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #34 of 84
Quote:

I saw that patent also, although your link is broken.

I'm hoping they are either trying to "cover their bases" by patenting any derivative technology, or have engineered a separate solution. Sapphire by it's actual nature would not need any type of "screen protector". You also have to realize that you can not patent Sapphire as a material. You can only patent treatments or manufacturing processes for Sapphire.

So even though Apple][ only wants App,e to use Sapphire, anyone can use it without a patent. It's just cost relevant at this point. Corning's smear campaign will not last long. They use glass, which has always been a treatment application. Basically they're just making sand better. However sand will still abrade on any Corning treatment.

I realize that, and while it would be great to not have to worry about it breaking as much with sapphire I would imagine that more people have issues with scratching, why I bring up the coating. But I can just hope that the composition of the new coating will wear better than the current one. I just found a shallow scratch on my iPad and I baby the hell out of it, think it's just the coating but still very noticeable.
post #35 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

But...will it blend?

If they make the whole thing out of Sapphire it may. Every time I see these Sapphire rumors with Apple in the headline I visualize a transparent phone when off.

We're very slowly moving to Sapphire electronic technology vs silicon electronic tech. It's only a matter of time really.
post #36 of 84
Quote:

I think the credits at the end listed Industrial Light & Magic, but I can't be sure since I can't read Chinese. (They could have been state secrets for all I know.)

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #37 of 84
Quote:

I realize that, and while it would be great to not have to worry about it breaking as much with sapphire I would imagine that more people have issues with scratching, why I bring up the coating. But I can just hope that the composition of the new coating will wear better than the current one. I just found a shallow scratch on my iPad and I baby the hell out of it, think it's just the coating but still very noticeable.

You're missing the point. The average person (besides an engagement ring) does not have the ability to make a scratch on a sapphire product. Were at the beginning of this now. Years from now most people will have windows will be made of it. Have you ever looked at your window and seen the dirt clinging to the outside? Sapphire is non-porus. Nothi will stick to it.

Back around 2001 I worked at a manufacturing plant that made diamonds. That's the next step, but it's still about twenty or thirty years away.

Edit: you will not need a screen protector. You will barely make skin oil smudges on the surface (oil is pervasive). It will not get scratched.

I'm not saying Apple will use a sapphire screen, but all of the evidence is pointing towards it. That video was very damn near compelling that the material was sapphire to me.
Edited by Silver Shadow - 7/11/14 at 11:22pm
post #38 of 84

Wow. Just realized there's a "block list". AI just got so much better.

​Anyway. I'm still going with Gorilla Glass 3 as what it is that we are seeing here (Though I'm not holding to that as strongly as I was after seeing that earlier video from MKBHD.  We'll see.

post #39 of 84
Quote:

You're missing the point. The average person (besides an engagement ring) does not have the ability to make a scratch on a sapphire product. Were at the beginning of this now. Years from now most people will have windows will be made of it. Have you ever looked at your window and seen the dirt clinging to the outside? Sapphire is non-porus. Nothi will stick to it.

Back around 2001 I worked at a manufacturing plant that made diamonds. That's the next step, but it's still about twenty or thirty years away.

Edit: you will not need a screen protector. You will barely make skin oil smudges on the surface (oil is pervasive). It will not get scratched.

I'm not saying Apple will use a sapphire screen, but all of the evidence is pointing towards it. That video was very damn near compelling that the material was sapphire to me.

Not missing the point. If it's true that most of the scratches on screens are only at the coating level then it's irrelevant how resistant sapphire is, unless you take the coating off yourself or Apple decides not to apply it to the new sapphire screens any scratches to the screen will be visible. Now if that screen that they tested in the video has the anti smudge coating then I'm impressed and won't worry about it.
post #40 of 84
Quote:

Not missing the point. If it's true that most of the scratches on screens are only at the coating level then it's irrelevant how resistant sapphire is, unless you take the coating off yourself or Apple decides not to apply it to the new sapphire screens any scratches to the screen will be visible. Now if that screen that they tested in the video has the anti smudge coating then I'm impressed and won't worry about it.

You did miss the point. THERE IS NO NEED FOR ANY COATING. SO THERE WILL NOT BE A COATING TO SCRATCH. Does caps help?

Also, I'm not sure why all of the rumor sites keep stating that Sapphire is less transparent than glass now that I think of it. It allows more light through than standard silicon glass and indeed allows more wavelengths than the human eye can detect. That's not the case with silicon glass. I keep wondering why these sites post that it's not as good. ...oh, Gurman probably stated something like that and it's just being parroted. 1smile.gif
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Video shows rumored 'iPhone 6' sapphire front panel destroyed by car