or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Video shows rumored 'iPhone 6' sapphire front panel destroyed by car
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Video shows rumored 'iPhone 6' sapphire front panel destroyed by car - Page 2

post #41 of 84
Lipophobic coating.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #42 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post
 

I guess if people don't chuck their iPhones in the middle of a highly trafficked road, then they should be ok!:lol:

 

I hope so, because I dropped my iPhone 4 on the sidewalk and it totally spiderwebbed the screen.

 

I gave the Apple store $169 to "repair" it and they gave me another one. That one landed on the street but avoided being run over. Aside from a chip in the metal "frame" it seemed okay. At least the screen didn't break anyway.

 

Then it started to trave houble. It became confused. The email app would open but it couldn't seem to remember where the messages were located. I tried responding to a text message b u t  it lagg  ed beh wh at I ws typ then it rebooted all on its own.

 

After three solid minutes of the white apple screen it shut itself off. Five seconds later it came back on. Another three minutes of white apple, then it shut off again. Then it came on again. It did that cycle continuously until i could get an appointment with a Genius at the Apple Store who determined that there were internal injuries and the patient could not be resuscitated. I gave him another $169 plus tax to "repair" it and they gave me another one.

 

If this trend continues, I should be able to find a way to destroy this one by making it burst into flames.

 

The point of the essay: The outside of the iPhone is pretty tough already. While I did manage to smash one screen, the second incident demonstrates that even existing iPhones are able to retain structural integrity after impacts that turn the guts to moosh. Maybe what they REALLY need is chips and boards with better impact resistance! :lol:

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #43 of 84
It's too bad that they didn't do systematic scratch tests - this would be most effective to help estimate hardness. Get out the garnet sandpaper of equivalent hardness and give it a go. If it's not saphire, then this test would scratch it relatively easily.

Also of interest to me is the possibility that they are using a technique of thermally precompressing (quasi tempering) the material to help prevent brittle fracture. This could make the material effectively harder than regular saphire. Can't wait to get hands on with it...

Hopefully this impressive material will make iPhones virtually unbreakable - from the front anyways. I suspect it will drive a real push on graphene development. It will be a materials arms race if sorts.
post #44 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post
 

I guess if people don't chuck their iPhones in the middle of a highly trafficked road, then they should be ok!:lol:

More to the point, I hope it isn't in my pocket when it happens!

post #45 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post

So if someone can not afford a cure for a disease they have you would like to see them die?

Let me tell you a secret. Money has no real value, but a life is real. If you and I were in a desert, you having a billion dollars and me having several gallons of water do you think I'd take any of your money in exchange for my water?

I may be getting a little deep here, but inhumane views like yours are disturbing to say the least.

I guess you haven't gone back and read all his posts then. If so you'd be used to his inhumane views by now ... 1wink.gif Apple][ is the resident comedian and I am sure only kidding as no one is that ... fill in your own description here .... .
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #46 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post

I'm kind of more for progress as a whole humanity society. I'm all for patents because they don't last very long and after that everyone can use the idea. When companies file patents the clock starts ticking the second it's submitted once it's approved. The example I provided a link to has been known for between 30 and 40 years and absolutely no one has benefited from it.

There's another from around the same time period that completely eradicated tooth decay and even repaired damaged teeth. I'm having a hard time finding it though. I would be very happy if even one company released either of those materials.

Regarding that video you posted, have you ever Googled the heat shield tiles used on the space shuttle? They withstand temperatures 20 times higher than the torch used to heat that material painted on the egg in the video you posted. I've seen videos of a small cube of shuttle heat tile material blasted with enormous temperatures, then immediately handled by bare human hands. The stuff just doesn't absorb heat. So this guy was either using a form of the same stuff, or he invented it and now you know what it went on to be used for.
I don't care about what the ignorant masses perceive as truth. I'm concerned with the facts on the ground.
Reply
I don't care about what the ignorant masses perceive as truth. I'm concerned with the facts on the ground.
Reply
post #47 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post

So if someone can not afford a cure for a disease they have you would like to see them die?

Let me tell you a secret. Money has no real value, but a life is real. If you and I were in a desert, you having a billion dollars and me having several gallons of water do you think I'd take any of your money in exchange for my water?

I may be getting a little deep here, but inhumane views like yours are disturbing to say the least.

I have a secret for you. Human life, to this planet, is worth exactly as much per kilogram as every other form of mammalian life. A kilogram of biomass is a kilogram of biomass. We're not special and more deserving than other species around us. So the word inhumane, especially in the context you are using, is a bit human-centric and far from the reality of the universe we share. Just as a corporation would deny a being (in this case a human) the benefit of its efforts without equal compensation, so too do we all, in our daily lives of conspicuous consumption of this planet's resources, take for ourselves and thereby deny the other equally deserving creatures those resources, with no equal compensation. Know what you speak of when you attempt to bring the full light of reality to others.
I don't care about what the ignorant masses perceive as truth. I'm concerned with the facts on the ground.
Reply
I don't care about what the ignorant masses perceive as truth. I'm concerned with the facts on the ground.
Reply
post #48 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInSD View Post

Glad you brought that up. Working the math it's about 800 lbs per tire assuming it's equally distributed. That would be substantially more than I would expect with the how hard he was hammering or driving the nail. What I'm concerned about is more along the lines of if sapphire is going to require the anti-smudge coating as I hear that for the current screens that that is what actually scratches rather than the glass itself. If not then I'm pretty excited to have this on the new iPhones.

That anti-smudge coating, called an oleophobic coating, won't adhere to sapphire, that's true. So Apple is adding a layer of silica glass on top of the sapphire, to which the oleophobic coating will adhere. But wait, you may say, wouldn't that defeat the scratch resistance of the sapphire if the very top layer has to be glass anyway? Well yes, it would, except that this top layer of silica glass would be laid down via a method such as chemical vapor deposition, allowing it to be just a few molecules thick. Enough for the oleophobic coating to adhere too, but so thin that any scratches to it, which would stop at the sapphire layer below it, would be so shallow as to be completely invisible to the human eye. Neat trick.
I don't care about what the ignorant masses perceive as truth. I'm concerned with the facts on the ground.
Reply
I don't care about what the ignorant masses perceive as truth. I'm concerned with the facts on the ground.
Reply
post #49 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInSD View Post

Well, was looking it up and found that they patented an OLEOPHOBIC COATING ON SAPPHIRE, so it's possible that we might still see scratches on iPhone screens, I don't see anything to suggest that these coating will resist scratches.

http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.html&r=1&p=1&f=G&l=50&d=PG01&S1=(428%2F432.CCLS.+AND+20140327.PD.)&OS=ccl/428/432+and+pd/3/27/2014&RS=(CCL/428/432+AND+PD/20140327)

See my comment just above this one regarding the way Apple will add a layer above the sapphire to which the oleophobic coating will adhere. This patent speaks to the same issue of adding a layer on top of the sapphire, not adhering an oleophobic coating directly to sapphire, as that's just not chemically possible.
I don't care about what the ignorant masses perceive as truth. I'm concerned with the facts on the ground.
Reply
I don't care about what the ignorant masses perceive as truth. I'm concerned with the facts on the ground.
Reply
post #50 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post

I'm kind of more for progress as a whole humanity society. I'm all for patents because they don't last very long and after that everyone can use the idea. When companies file patents the clock starts ticking the second it's submitted once it's approved. The example I provided a link to has been known for between 30 and 40 years and absolutely no one has benefited from it.

There's another from around the same time period that completely eradicated tooth decay and even repaired damaged teeth. I'm having a hard time finding it though. I would be very happy if even one company released either of those materials.

Hardware patents are "less evil" when it only covers uniqueness of a product, and doesn't prevent a standard from being established. Many of the reasons patents get a bad rap are regarding bad-faith patents (almost entirely dealing with software algorithms and not uniqueness.) For example, the LZW algorithm AFTER it had widespread use in the gif file format. There is no way to re-implement a mathematical algorithm without remaining compatible with other versions of it. It's like having a patent on 1+1=2. The more complex an algorithm is, the less useful a patent on it makes it. Instead it encourages coming up with alternatives that don't utilize the patent in question. In my opinion as long as something is "new" and can be demonstrated as such, fine patent away. But math isn't an invention. People can come up with exactly the same algorithm independently.

Industrial design patents cover the "look" of something. These are a bit more questionable because Apple could theoretically patent an "all-glass" phone or computer and use that as leverage alone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInSD View Post

If it's true that most of the scratches on screens are only at the coating level then it's irrelevant how resistant sapphire is, unless you take the coating off yourself or Apple decides not to apply it to the new sapphire screens any scratches to the screen will be visible. Now if that screen that they tested in the video has the anti smudge coating then I'm impressed and won't worry about it.

It says right in the manual that the Oleophobic coating will wear off over time and not to use any cleaning solutions on the device to preserve it as long as possible. I'm actually rather impressed that I can just rub my hand on it and the screen becomes clean.
post #51 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


It could be faked but my gut is saying it isn't.

Agreed.  While I'll need an interpretation of the spoken word, I can easily see where one pebble under a screen (middle right) causing the necessary fulcrum point to cause failure, especially the fracture pattern shown.   In all the other cracking tests, the stresses are either distributed, or have rebound (kinetic point in time impact as opposed to an inelastic constant increasing stress).

 

3 comments

1) it appears that you can get iPhone 6 screens pretty readily....  This makes me think it's an approved 'leak' by Apple (isn't Apple / GT making these and shipping them over to China?...  I would assume that inventory control at the assembly plant at this moment while doing assembly testing and building QA systems for regulatory testing.   The counts of parts in/parts out can't be more than a couple thousand a day, and a small set of people handling them.  

 

Meaning, that Apple anticipated this Corning Campaign and wants the videos to go viral.

 

 Either that or a box of them got stolen en route.

 

2) Of all the tests, driving over them (stepping on a phone), is most likely.  Until final assembly (putting in a frame and adding the mass of the battery), at least.  Then the 20' (2 story) drop and land on a corner is the real world fracture test, as the mass and the 'inability' to flex will create stress waves you can't simulate 'by hand'.  

post #52 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunlo View Post

Good!

and now Apple can focus on something that to prevent scratches, dings and dents on the back.

If you tend to abuse your stuff (apparently so, as my two year old iPhone 5 has been carried daily, with only a film screensaver (front and back), and has suffered none of the dings and dents you describe) I would suggest you put it in a "protective case". Available virtually everywhere, they range from a couple dollars for minimal cases to around 60-80 for fully sealed waterproof cases (I do run a life proof case when we (my family) visit water parks)

Apple can not (and should not) design for the lowest common denominator (i.e. the person who subjects their phone to water and abuse) because  it is easy to add the desired protection (and scaleable i.e. waterproof, uber-impactresistant etc.) and for people who want (and are careful enough to) carry their phone in it's most svelte and elemental form can do that also.

post #53 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post

You did miss the point. THERE IS NO NEED FOR ANY COATING. SO THERE WILL NOT BE A COATING TO SCRATCH. Does caps help?

Also, I'm not sure why all of the rumor sites keep stating that Sapphire is less transparent than glass now that I think of it. It allows more light through than standard silicon glass and indeed allows more wavelengths than the human eye can detect. That's not the case with silicon glass. I keep wondering why these sites post that it's not as good. ...oh, Gurman probably stated something like that and it's just being parroted. 1smile.gif

Here's my all caps, hope it helps: UNLESS YOU WORK AT APPLE AND CAN VERIFY THAT THEY ARENT USING A COATING THEN ITS IRRELEVANT IF YOU THINK IT NEEDS ONE OR NOT. I AGREE THAT IT DOESNT NEED ONE, but with them patenting a coating for sapphire it's at least likely that they will put it on the sapphire screens. Since this site is all about speculation based on patents and other sources you should at least entertain the possibility that Apple isn't going to care whether or not YOU think it needs it.
post #54 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

That anti-smudge coating, called an oleophobic coating, won't adhere to sapphire, that's true. So Apple is adding a layer of silica glass on top of the sapphire, to which the oleophobic coating will adhere. But wait, you may say, wouldn't that defeat the scratch resistance of the sapphire if the very top layer has to be glass anyway? Well yes, it would, except that this top layer of silica glass would be laid down via a method such as chemical vapor deposition, allowing it to be just a few molecules thick. Enough for the oleophobic coating to adhere too, but so thin that any scratches to it, which would stop at the sapphire layer below it, would be so shallow as to be completely invisible to the human eye. Neat trick.

Thank you, for both understanding what I'm talking about and shedding some more light on it. Glad to hear it's very thin and won't be noticeable. With that said I'll be looking forward to the new sapphire screens.
post #55 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post


You missed the point of my statement. The purpose was to show that money has no value, which is exactly what you said.

Edit: I'm not against making money per say. The lack of regard for other people was what I was answering. However, money is a faith. It's not an absolute intrinsic value.

 

No, money has no value in your scenario as it has no value. It is not based on gold or any other material. It is not based on a governments ability to pay that value. In your scenario, it is simply paper. Now, if that was Water World, paper is highly valued :) 

post #56 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

I have a secret for you. Human life, to this planet, is worth exactly as much per kilogram as every other form of mammalian life. A kilogram of biomass is a kilogram of biomass. We're not special and more deserving than other species around us. So the word inhumane, especially in the context you are using, is a bit human-centric and far from the reality of the universe we share. Just as a corporation would deny a being (in this case a human) the benefit of its efforts without equal compensation, so too do we all, in our daily lives of conspicuous consumption of this planet's resources, take for ourselves and thereby deny the other equally deserving creatures those resources, with no equal compensation. Know what you speak of when you attempt to bring the full light of reality to others.

Human language and the words we use, such as humane/inhumane, have 0 relevance to our planet. Our planet, as amazing as it is, is useless without us. It is not self aware. The reason a human life is of far more value than any other form of life on earth is because of our capacity to reason. The beauty of the most spectacular, natural formation, is useless without a human being present to view it and there by contemplate its beauty. To say we are not special, or more deserving, than any other species, is quite laughable. Do you know of any other species on earth that is capable of transporting itself to the moon? Can any of them tell us their life's history, let alone, maintain historic accounts of their ancestors? What species, is capable of creating the Sistine Chapel?

No one believes that a person should not be rewarded for their hard work. It's just that their are many who don't strictly equate reward, with monetary gain. For me, knowing I could save the life of someone else's father/mother/son/daughter, would be a reward all it's own. What is the point of saving a life if you don't care about a life? If I discovered a cure for cancer tomorrow, I would immediately look for a way to make it accesable to all. Would I make some money from it? Yes, I'd be able to support myself and my family, but not at the expense of denying any human being access to life. People would pay, what they can afford. If all you could afford, was a genuine smile, and a sincere thank you, then that is what it would cost to cure your cancer. If you can drop $2,000,000 like regular people drop pennies, than you will certainly pay more money for the cure, but it won't cost you any more than it cost the person whose sole possession is a cardboard box.
post #57 of 84

All good and well. But how is Apple going to recycle* the unbreakable saphire glass? 

 

(*) The Lifespan of an iPhone is only 12 months until the next generation pops up, 48 months until you can't update your phone with the latest iOS. 

 

My point is:

 

Shouldn't it be better to make the iPhone waterproof instead? That'd be a useful feature relevant to everyday life (It's raining right now in Belgium). Having unbreakable glass that can withstand 1 ton sounds like a gimmick to me. My iPhone slips back in my pocket if I don't use it.

post #58 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr O View Post
 

My point is:

 

Shouldn't it be better to make the iPhone waterproof instead? That'd be a useful feature relevant to everyday life (It's raining right now in Belgium). Having unbreakable glass that can withstand 1 ton sounds like a gimmick to me. My iPhone slips back in my pocket if I don't use it.

 

This is called "moving the goalposts."

:no:

Broken screen repairs are very common, and not just on iPhones. Having unbreakable glass is not a "gimmick." It's called addressing the most common reason to repair iPhones.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #59 of 84

OFFICIAL IPHONE USE CASE

If you are not using your iPhone like this,

you are not using your iPhone correctly.

 

Originally Posted by bunlo View Post
and now Apple can focus on something that to prevent scratches, dings and dents on the back.

 

They already have. It’s called TAKING CARE OF YOUR POSSESSIONS.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #60 of 84

I'm psyched. Sapphire is incredible stuff. My 30-year old rolex is as shiny as the day it was new.

 

I'm pretty good with my Apple kit. I've had iPods/iPhones/iPads for years and they've left my hands scratch free. Except my iPhone 4S. I think someone drug a key across it and vandalized it. The scratch drove me nuts. Sapphire is a huge step up from GG.

post #61 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlfnlsn View Post


Human language and the words we use, such as humane/inhumane, have 0 relevance to our planet. Our planet, as amazing as it is, is useless without us. It is not self aware. The reason a human life is of far more value than any other form of life on earth is because of our capacity to reason. The beauty of the most spectacular, natural formation, is useless without a human being present to view it and there by contemplate its beauty. To say we are not special, or more deserving, than any other species, is quite laughable. Do you know of any other species on earth that is capable of transporting itself to the moon? Can any of them tell us their life's history, let alone, maintain historic accounts of their ancestors? What species, is capable of creating the Sistine Chapel?

No one believes that a person should not be rewarded for their hard work. It's just that their are many who don't strictly equate reward, with monetary gain. For me, knowing I could save the life of someone else's father/mother/son/daughter, would be a reward all it's own. What is the point of saving a life if you don't care about a life? If I discovered a cure for cancer tomorrow, I would immediately look for a way to make it accesable to all. Would I make some money from it? Yes, I'd be able to support myself and my family, but not at the expense of denying any human being access to life. People would pay, what they can afford. If all you could afford, was a genuine smile, and a sincere thank you, then that is what it would cost to cure your cancer. If you can drop $2,000,000 like regular people drop pennies, than you will certainly pay more money for the cure, but it won't cost you any more than it cost the person whose sole possession is a cardboard box.

 

Aren't you special.  

 

"Do you know of any other species on earth that is capable of transporting itself to the moon? Can any of them tell us their life's history, let alone, maintain historic accounts of their ancestors? What species, is capable of creating the Sistine Chapel?"

 

Tell me, what value does transporting oneself to the moon have?  What value does telling a creature's life history have?  What value is the Sistine Chapel?  What value are these to any creature other than a human?  A dolphin doesn't need to go to the moon.  An eagle doesn't need to convey its life history?  And a polar bear has no need of the Sistine Chapel.  These are accomplishments that have value only to humans, proving your human-centric myopia.

 

Let me ask you this, fellow human?  What value are those things you mention without the dolphins, eagles, and polar bears?  What value is there to being alone in the universe, supreme in our self-portrait, but having fatally disrupted the balance of life's web from which we ourselves have sprung forth?  

I don't care about what the ignorant masses perceive as truth. I'm concerned with the facts on the ground.
Reply
I don't care about what the ignorant masses perceive as truth. I'm concerned with the facts on the ground.
Reply
post #62 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post
 

 

Aren't you special.  

 

"Do you know of any other species on earth that is capable of transporting itself to the moon? Can any of them tell us their life's history, let alone, maintain historic accounts of their ancestors? What species, is capable of creating the Sistine Chapel?"

 

Tell me, what value does transporting oneself to the moon have?  What value does telling a creature's life history have?  What value is the Sistine Chapel?  What value are these to any creature other than a human?  A dolphin doesn't need to go to the moon.  An eagle doesn't need to convey its life history?  And a polar bear has no need of the Sistine Chapel.  These are accomplishments that have value only to humans, proving your human-centric myopia.

 

Let me ask you this, fellow human?  What value are those things you mention without the dolphins, eagles, and polar bears?  What value is there to being alone in the universe, supreme in our self-portrait, but having fatally disrupted the balance of life's web from which we ourselves have sprung forth?  

Have you ever been injured? If so why not lay down & bleed out or wait for you inevitable death? If people walked by you on the sidewalk your hope is that they just pass by & let you die because you are not a special little snowflake. All these living things you speak about all have the need to survive.

post #63 of 84
probably coincidence, but I found it interesting that the epicenter of the break seems to be right where they had applied heat from the lighter...
post #64 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInSD View Post


Well, was looking it up and found that they patented an OLEOPHOBIC COATING ON SAPPHIRE, so it's possible that we might still see scratches on iPhone screens, I don't see anything to suggest that these coating will resist scratches.

 

As far as I know, the oleophobic coating has nothing to do with scratch resistance, and is entirely meant for helping to reduce fingerprints (and to ease cleaning those prints and oil-based smudges off of the screen).

post #65 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post
 

 

As far as I know, the oleophobic coating has nothing to do with scratch resistance, and is entirely meant for helping to reduce fingerprints (and to ease cleaning those prints and oil-based smudges off of the screen).

 

I like a bit of oil on my screens.

 

Sometimes, right after I've cleaned them with a microfiber cloth, I don't have the feel that I need on certain games, so I'm definitely kind of lazy when it comes to cleaning my screens.

post #66 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post
 

As far as I know, the oleophobic coating has nothing to do with scratch resistance, and is entirely meant for helping to reduce fingerprints (and to ease cleaning those prints and oil-based smudges off of the screen).

 

You didn't read all the posts leading up to the one you replied to, did you?

 

The point was that it is the coating that will scratch, not the screen. The existence of the coating may make the scratch resistance of sapphire irrelevant.

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #67 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

Aren't you special.  

"Do you know of any other species on earth that is capable of transporting itself to the moon? Can any of them tell us their life's history, let alone, maintain historic accounts of their ancestors? What species, is capable of creating the Sistine Chapel?"

Tell me, what value does transporting oneself to the moon have?  What value does telling a creature's life history have?  What value is the Sistine Chapel?  What value are these to any creature other than a human?  A dolphin doesn't need to go to the moon.  An eagle doesn't need to convey its life history?  And a polar bear has no need of the Sistine Chapel.  These are accomplishments that have value only to humans, proving your human-centric myopia.

Let me ask you this, fellow human?  What value are those things you mention without the dolphins, eagles, and polar bears?  What value is there to being alone in the universe, supreme in our self-portrait, but having fatally disrupted the balance of life's web from which we ourselves have sprung forth?  

Wow! We could eliminate dolphins, eagles, and polar bears, from the face of the earth (we should do everything in our power to see that doesn't happen), and the Sistine chapel would still possess artistic beauty. The moon landing, and the research involved in that endeavor, would still contribute to our capability to place satellites in orbit, giving us a better understanding of things like climate change, as well as the ability to better communicate with others all over the world. Also, when did I ever say we are alone in the universe? When did I ever say that holding a human life in higher esteem, than other life on earth, means that we should "fatally disrupt" life's web, which you say we sprung forth from?
Do I believe it is our duty to be good stewards of this planet and its lesser inhabitants? Yes, absolutely, but that doesn't mean I'm going to be ignorant of the FACT that human beings are truly unique when compared to all other life on earth, and that a human life has more value than any other form of life on this planet.

Now, back to this topic of sapphire. I am really excited to see if this is another instance where Apple has simply out innovated and engineered the rest of the industry, and combined that with their massive economy of scale to bring something to market that no other company could.
post #68 of 84
Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

These are accomplishments that have value only to humans, proving your human-centric myopia.

 

HA! Come off it. Anti-humans are a threat to the species; we call that psychosis. You wouldn’t see an eagle, dolphin, or polar bear give one whiff about killing everything else on the planet. Your hypocrisy knows little bound. Only humanity can envision the future. Only humanity can comprehend consequence.

 

WE’RE sapient. THEY’RE not. That inherently makes us objectively better in every conceivable way, beyond the innate superiority with which all species view themselves against others.


Edited by Tallest Skil - 7/13/14 at 11:06am

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #69 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunlo View Post

Good!

and now Apple can focus on something that to prevent scratches, dings and dents on the back.
It may be liquid metal but I'm convinced that if apple gets success with iPhone 6, then iPhone 7 could be all saphire or a sapphire sandwich like iPhone 4.
post #70 of 84
You don't get it, do you?

It is only in the eyes of humans that these things have values. If humans suddenly become extinct, there will be no one to give a shit about the "artistic beauty" of chapels or how big our d*cks (sorry — rockets) are.

As for your feel-good position about the cure for cancer being free: do you get mad at your grocery store every time you pay them? After all, if you can't afford the food, you'll probably be dead.
post #71 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I guess you haven't gone back and read all his posts then. If so you'd be used to his inhumane views by now ... 1wink.gif Apple][ is the resident comedian and I am sure only kidding as no one is that ... fill in your own description here .... .

No I have not, but over the years I have skipped over quite a few posts and actually look for specific user names to see what their thoughts are. Sometimes I stray from norm I suppose.
post #72 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

Regarding that video you posted, have you ever Googled the heat shield tiles used on the space shuttle? They withstand temperatures 20 times higher than the torch used to heat that material painted on the egg in the video you posted. I've seen videos of a small cube of shuttle heat tile material blasted with enormous temperatures, then immediately handled by bare human hands. The stuff just doesn't absorb heat. So this guy was either using a form of the same stuff, or he invented it and now you know what it went on to be used for.

It's an amazing compound and was invented well after the space shuttle program which in itself is so antiquated that they dropped it almost 10 years ago (off the top of my head) Just like we used the German tech from the 40's for the moon landing, the shuttle was designed only 10 years later in the fifties. The tech for the stealth bomber and fighter was designed in the 70's and our new 'drones' in the 80's. When you get old enough you may actually see a pattern. (I'm not saying you're not).

If you'd like I can post the complete chemical compound of the coating for the space shuttle tiles. You could probably look it up as well. I can not however tell you the chemical compound of the material that is in that video. Also, It's nuclear proof. You may be more interested in what happened to that gentleman after he televised his invention, he was burglarized many, many times. Also, people at DuPont lost their jobs because he actually tried to sell them the material and they hung up on him because they thought he was a Fruit Loop! It really is an amazing story...
post #73 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

I have a secret for you. Human life, to this planet, is worth exactly as much per kilogram as every other form of mammalian life. A kilogram of biomass is a kilogram of biomass. We're not special and more deserving than other species around us. So the word inhumane, especially in the context you are using, is a bit human-centric and far from the reality of the universe we share. Just as a corporation would deny a being (in this case a human) the benefit of its efforts without equal compensation, so too do we all, in our daily lives of conspicuous consumption of this planet's resources, take for ourselves and thereby deny the other equally deserving creatures those resources, with no equal compensation. Know what you speak of when you attempt to bring the full light of reality to others.

From your statement it sounds like you need to start living in the same world as the rest of us. While you're trying to circle talk my post, you do the same with your own. It would have been great if your English teacher spent a little more time with you, because you eluding to every other organism on the plant with my compassion towards others is interesting,

You have to be some young, dumb, full of **** person to actually believe your own words without living life. You have obviously never lost someone you loved.

So when your mother dies, are you going to tell her "it's O.K. Mom, Billions of bacteria died today and your no different. It's all just biomass." Perhaps "oh, we killed a billion trees today, so even though I can cure your disease, heck we need to try and keep up!"

People like you astound me. So what your saying is that we'll all be dead tomorrow so we shouldn't worry about caring about each other while we actually are here? Amazing!

Edit: please don't quote my posts anymore. I gets emails when you do. I'll stick to searching out usernames that try to make valid points. Besides my personal life I have two things. My profession, and my hobbies. I posted about materials here because it's my profession. I post about Apple sometimes because it's a hobby I try to to keep up on. In the end, I really don't care. If I get an email that says Sol quoted me in post it might make my day. People like you do not make my day any happier.
Edited by Silver Shadow - 7/13/14 at 4:02am
post #74 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

Aren't you special.  

"Do you know of any other species on earth that is capable of transporting itself to the moon? Can any of them tell us their life's history, let alone, maintain historic accounts of their ancestors? What species, is capable of creating the Sistine Chapel?"

Tell me, what value does transporting oneself to the moon have?  What value does telling a creature's life history have?  What value is the Sistine Chapel?  What value are these to any creature other than a human?  A dolphin doesn't need to go to the moon.  An eagle doesn't need to convey its life history?  And a polar bear has no need of the Sistine Chapel.  These are accomplishments that have value only to humans, proving your human-centric myopia.

Let me ask you this, fellow human?  What value are those things you mention without the dolphins, eagles, and polar bears?  What value is there to being alone in the universe, supreme in our self-portrait, but having fatally disrupted the balance of life's web from which we ourselves have sprung forth?  

Are you a "cutter?" My daughter was insulted by your posts and I'm being educated about this that very topic from my child (I guess I'm getting old). I find it interesting that my child thinks there's something wrong with your ideals.
post #75 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misa View Post

Hardware patents are "less evil" when it only covers uniqueness of a product, and doesn't prevent a standard from being established. Many of the reasons patents get a bad rap are regarding bad-faith patents (almost entirely dealing with software algorithms and not uniqueness.) For example, the LZW algorithm AFTER it had widespread use in the gif file format. There is no way to re-implement a mathematical algorithm without remaining compatible with other versions of it. It's like having a patent on 1+1=2. The more complex an algorithm is, the less useful a patent on it makes it. Instead it encourages coming up with alternatives that don't utilize the patent in question. In my opinion as long as something is "new" and can be demonstrated as such, fine patent away. But math isn't an invention. People can come up with exactly the same algorithm independently.

Industrial design patents cover the "look" of something. These are a bit more questionable because Apple could theoretically patent an "all-glass" phone or computer and use that as leverage alone.
It says right in the manual that the Oleophobic coating will wear off over time and not to use any cleaning solutions on the device to preserve it as long as possible. I'm actually rather impressed that I can just rub my hand on it and the screen becomes clean.

I think you misunderstood my intent. I'm all for patents. Submitting your patent means that you are putting your idea on public record for everyone to use within a certain amount of years depending upon local government. However the idea is documented and can be used by anyone after the patent expires. That's fine. It's called "Bleeding Edge Technology". You pay more for an idea that comes out tomorrow vs an idea from twenty years ago. That absolutely reasonable to me as long as the idea gets patented and hence documented.

In an ideal way, if we worked for society as a whole and not just as individuals, there wouldn't be a 20 year delay in technology.
Edited by Silver Shadow - 7/13/14 at 5:28am
post #76 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlfnlsn View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

I have a secret for you. Human life, to this planet, is worth exactly as much per kilogram as every other form of mammalian life. A kilogram of biomass is a kilogram of biomass. We're not special and more deserving than other species around us. So the word inhumane, especially in the context you are using, is a bit human-centric and far from the reality of the universe we share. Just as a corporation would deny a being (in this case a human) the benefit of its efforts without equal compensation, so too do we all, in our daily lives of conspicuous consumption of this planet's resources, take for ourselves and thereby deny the other equally deserving creatures those resources, with no equal compensation. Know what you speak of when you attempt to bring the full light of reality to others.

Human language and the words we use, such as humane/inhumane, have 0 relevance to our planet. Our planet, as amazing as it is, is useless without us. It is not self aware. The reason a human life is of far more value than any other form of life on earth is because of our capacity to reason. The beauty of the most spectacular, natural formation, is useless without a human being present to view it and there by contemplate its beauty. To say we are not special, or more deserving, than any other species, is quite laughable. Do you know of any other species on earth that is capable of transporting itself to the moon? Can any of them tell us their life's history, let alone, maintain historic accounts of their ancestors? What species, is capable of creating the Sistine Chapel?

No one believes that a person should not be rewarded for their hard work. It's just that their are many who don't strictly equate reward, with monetary gain. For me, knowing I could save the life of someone else's father/mother/son/daughter, would be a reward all it's own. What is the point of saving a life if you don't care about a life? If I discovered a cure for cancer tomorrow, I would immediately look for a way to make it accesable to all. Would I make some money from it? Yes, I'd be able to support myself and my family, but not at the expense of denying any human being access to life. People would pay, what they can afford. If all you could afford, was a genuine smile, and a sincere thank you, then that is what it would cost to cure your cancer. If you can drop $2,000,000 like regular people drop pennies, than you will certainly pay more money for the cure, but it won't cost you any more than it cost the person whose sole possession is a cardboard box.

Excellent post.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #77 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Excellent post.

Thank you!
post #78 of 84
I hope this rumor is true. This would be a nice improvement.
post #79 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

Maybe, maybe not. The video could be completely faked.

It wouldn't be the first time either.

No way to say with an degree of certainty until we see an actual shipping product. But hey, page views are all that really count around here, right?

this is a rumor site. what you expecting?
post #80 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by delreyjones View Post

With due respect, I want to complain about AI's headline. It's true, the video shows the panel being destroyed by a car (or heavy truck), but that's only AFTER the video shows the panel surviving quite a number of dramatic tests. I think the video shows us that almost nothing can break the sapphire panel, but AI's headline tells us that the panel is breakable, and it falsely implies that the panel might be not that hard to break.

it doesn't imply that at all -- you're projecting.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Video shows rumored 'iPhone 6' sapphire front panel destroyed by car