or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo: Apple's 5.5-inch 'iPhone 6' faces production issues, launch may be pushed to 2015

Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo: Apple's 5.5-inch 'iPhone 6' faces production issues, launch may be pushed...

post #1 of 128
Apple's rumored 5.5-inch "phablet" iPhone model is said to be facing issues with its new in-cell touchscreen panel, as well as color unevenness on the new "iPhone 6" metal casing, which could see the device's launch pushed back to next year, leaving the smaller 4.7-inch model to debut alone this year, according to one industry insider.

"iPhone 6" and "iPhone 6c" concepts by Martin Hajek.

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who has a respectable track record in revealing Apple's future product plans, issued a note on Sunday, a copy of which was obtained by AppleInsider. In it, he revealed that while Apple's 4.7-inch "iPhone 6" is still expected to debut this fall, the larger 5.5-inch model could be introduced at a later date.

According to Kuo, Apple is already facing production bottlenecks on the 4.7-inch model related to the new technology for the device's in-cell touch panel, as well as color unevenness on the redesigned "iPhone 6" metal casing. Those problems are said to be even worse with the larger 5.5-inch model.

"These problems will likely be even more complicated with a larger size," he said. In particular, he said the new in-cell touch panels may have issues related to touch sensitivity on the edges of the panel as displays become larger in size, making the 5.5-inch model a much greater technical achievement for Apple to accomplish.

In addition, Kuo said he doesn't expect that a new scratch-resistant 5.5-inch sapphire front panel will "easily pass the drop test near term." That technical issue could also prompt delays, he said.

Kuo said that the "most conservative scenario" is that Apple delays the 5.5-inch "iPhone 6" model to 2015. In that situation, he expects a larger 4.7-inch model along with more affordable iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c models will spur Apple to sales growth in the holiday quarter, meaning a later-than-expected launch for the rumored product would not have much of an effect on the company's bottom line.

The analyst did hold out some hope that the 5.5-inch "iPhone 6" could launch in 2014. But even if that happens, he said it's likely to occur after mid-fourth-quarter, which would mean after mid-November --?a much later timeframe than Apple has launched new iPhone models in recent years.

Alleged 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch iPhone 6 mockups with iPhone 5s. | Source: TechSmartt via YouTube

Kuo also issued a note last week on Apple's rumored "iWatch," revealing that he has been told the anticipated wrist-worn device is facing mass production delays. As such, he believes that it may not go on sale to the public until as late as December of this year.

The insider also expects that Apple will debut a new Apple TV set-top box this fall with motion controls and potentially support for a third-party App Store. He expects that a revamped Apple TV will play a "key role" in Apple's connected ecosystem going forward.
post #2 of 128
It's going to be late, it's going to be on time, it's going to be late, it's going to be on time.....
post #3 of 128
If he's wrong, may Ming-Chi Kuo be fired or demoted for spreading this AAPL attack.
post #4 of 128

WOW THE DEVICE THAT DOESN’T EXIST ISN’T GOING TO BE RELEASED RIGHT AWAY. WHAT ARE THE ODDS.

Why have these people not been fired? What does this say to anyone else in any other occupation about needing to have any sort of integrity whatsoever?

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
post #5 of 128
Its the week before earnings, so bring forth every crazy, half-baked rumor known to man...
post #6 of 128
Flushing out the leaks in Apple.
post #7 of 128
I am beginning to think that AI has become the PR newswire for dubious analysts. AI gets so many "leaked" analyst reports on Sunday. What gives?
post #8 of 128
So, Ming starts a rumor, changes the rumor, changes the rumor again and again and again... until he gets close enough to the truth. Them he is considered well respected. Cone on AI, question the guy's integrity once in a while. Sure, Ming has had a few hits, but the misses are accumulating. Anyone remember Gene Munster? 😂
post #9 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

. Anyone remember Gene Munster? 😂

I remember Herman Munster. Does that count?
post #10 of 128

Nah… He's just covering up for being wrong about a 2014 launch. ;)

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #11 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

WOW THE DEVICE THAT DOESN’T EXIST ISN’T GOING TO BE RELEASED RIGHT AWAY. WHAT ARE THE ODDS.

Why have these people not been fired? What does this say to anyone else in any other occupation about needing to have any sort of integrity whatsoever?
It's interesting, the device that does not exsist is going to be "delayed" untill the darn thing does exsist. Which of course could be 10 years and still saying "the 5.5 inch iPhone is 6 months away".
post #12 of 128
The reaction to analysts depends on the news.

It might be a good idea to release at least one model in March anyway. To balance the year and get production ramped up before Christmas.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #13 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

So, Ming starts a rumor, changes the rumor, changes the rumor again and again and again... until he gets close enough to the truth. Them he is considered well respected. Cone on AI, question the guy's integrity once in a while. Sure, Ming has had a few hits, but the misses are accumulating. Anyone remember Gene Munster? 😂

Rumors of "production problems" for the 5.5-inch are old news.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #14 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who has a respectable track record in revealing Apple's future product plans, issued a note on Sunday, a copy of which was obtained by AppleInsider. In it, he revealed that while Apple's 4.7-inch "iPhone 6" is still expected to debut this fall, the larger 5.5-inch model could be introduced at a later date.

According to Kuo, Apple is already facing production bottlenecks on the 4.7-inch model related to the new technology for the device's in-cell touch panel, as well as color unevenness on the redesigned "iPhone 6" metal casing. Those problems are said to be even worse with the larger 5.5-inch model.

Unreleased item is expected to take longer to ship... and people are surprised by this? Maybe the AAPL bears, but that has never actually stopped an item from being released. Please wake me up when Apple actually cancels an item that has actually been announced before it ships.

The thing is, AAPL used to do this earnings-pop thing and then everyone had a heart attack when Steve Jobs died and it looked like half of the EU was going to go bankrupt. Those are external political forces, not internal management issues.

Stupid things are like Newscorp buying MySpace and then sinking it, or RIM repeatedly offering no compelling hardware when businesses were dumping their hardware left and right in favor of the iPhone. Those are actions where management completely misunderstands the business they are in and should get out of the pool before it boils.
post #15 of 128
Batik phones with glitchy touch zones... yeey!
post #16 of 128
Another ANALyst trying to get eyeballs.
post #17 of 128
In other news, the rumored apple iCar got delayed into 2016 due to existential issues
post #18 of 128

FFS, everything that Apple have made in the last 6 years have apparently had production issues.

This is never true. Apple don't have problems making things, they have problems making enough of these things.

post #19 of 128

Heh - "ANALyst" is getting almost as irritating as "First!"

post #20 of 128
At the end, there is no 5.5" iPhone 6 at all. I never believe in iPhablet. It doesn't make sense.

Congratulation to Samsung Galaxy S5 for winning CNET's Best Android Phone of the Year 2014

"From the owner of iPhone 6+, Best Smart Phone of the Year 2014"

Congratulation to Samsung Galaxy S5 for winning CNET's Best Android Phone of the Year 2014

"From the owner of iPhone 6+, Best Smart Phone of the Year 2014"

post #21 of 128
I don't give one shit about what this guy thinks.
post #22 of 128
I'm very close to deleting AI an an app and deleting it from my bookmarks forever. How is another rumor treated like it is the gospel? It bothered me enough that you constantly put out the same regurgitated articles as click bate but that isn't enough for the hacks that control AI now. The fact that rumor is treated like fact here is, at it's best, hack journalism.
post #23 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

FFS, everything that Apple have made in the last 6 years have apparently had production issues.
This is never true. Apple don't have problems making things, they have problems making enough of these things.

Actually I would expect that every new product has start up production problems. It is a fact of life in the manufacturing world. No matter how much a Manufactures R&D team irons things out transferring to production can be trying.

The fact that these so called analysts pick out these potential issues as a sign of anything just demonstrates that they have little real world experience bringing a production line up to speed. Even after things are humming along all sorts of things can screw up that production line.
post #24 of 128

Seriously **** this guy, Kuo Ming-Chi. Spout any ol' BS then claim "production issues" to save his arse when the BS is about to be exposed.

"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #25 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who has a respectable track record in revealing Apple's future product plans, issued a note on Sunday,

I for one, appreciate that AppleInsider lets me know about Ming-Chi Kuo's reports.  No, it's not gospel, but it's a very accurate insider's opinion.  If I couldn't get this information from AI, I'd look for it elsewhere.  These reports are indeed speculative, but they're some of the most informed speculation we have until Cupertino itself delivers the actual gospel.

post #26 of 128
It doesn't make sense for a 5.5er launch together with the new 4.7. Like any good business, you've gotta slowly release - especially when you've got the lead (or near lead depending on which markets you compare). Put out the 4.7, see if that quells demand for the super size. If not, next year the 5.5 can be the big upgrade to drive new wallets.

Although I will be getting the 4.7 as soon as it's available, I think it would be reasonable to maintain a 4.0 size (that's not the 5s or 5c) with the latest and greatest tech & materials.
post #27 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achillies7 View Post

I don't give one shit about what this guy thinks.

The feeling is probably mutual. If you read the forum regularly you'd know that when Ming releases a note, it is released to his investors, not to AI forum readers. Also, you may or may not have realized that AI is a rumor site not a fact checking journalist news site. Furthermore, in the note he identified three areas of concern. One, the irregular color of the metal, the touch sensitivity near the edges and the screen drop test. All seem to be fairly specific as if he does have some inside connection in the manufacturing team. He is from the region where that could be entirely possible. So bottom line, you should take everything you read on this site with a grain of salt. There could be some truth among the speculation, but why get your britches all in a knot over it?

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #28 of 128
BS! Slow news day.
post #29 of 128

Standard rumor, part of the Apple product cycle rumor algorithm, which has been accepted as an ISO Standard, BTW. Move along, nothing to see here.

post #30 of 128

Hey so do I. Lily Munster would be terribly offended by all the rumours that get far too much web time here.

post #31 of 128

Hahaha.

So predictable.

post #32 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Hahaha.

So predictable.

I agree. Those who dismiss Ming's track record, please go read his predictions made in January 2013. Dead on the money, 9 months out.

http://www.icreatemagazine.com/news/apple-to-release-new-iphones-ipads-and-macbook-pros-in-2013/

post #33 of 128
Turns out the supposed 55.5 inch iPhone will also see production delays.
post #34 of 128
He analyses, but who said he could be right and who said he could be wrong. iPad Mini displays have had issues with productions. If Apple signed a contract that would force samsung to make screens for the next, I don't k ow lets say 10 years, then the issue would be solved.

From what I remember the first iPhone 5s's and iPhone 5c's had a simir issue with their touch screens. I think this can be solved but the chasy is what I don't understand. How deferent can it be compared to the iPhone we have currently. Maybe it's a new material their using.
post #35 of 128
Why is this called breaking?! Breaking should only be reserved for actual news, not analyst rumors! 1oyvey.gif
post #36 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I agree. Those who dismiss Ming's track record, please go read his predictions made in January 2013. Dead on the money, 9 months out.

http://www.icreatemagazine.com/news/apple-to-release-new-iphones-ipads-and-macbook-pros-in-2013/

Almost a year ago (Sept/13) he also said Apple would offer a larger iPhone for fall 2014, between 4.5" and 5". I think that will be accurate too.
Edited by Gatorguy - 7/13/14 at 6:22pm
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #37 of 128
Ming must read this forum. Several of us said it wasn't going to happen two days ago because there hasn't been a single leaked part of the 5.5".
So, umm... Why aren't we getting paid and breaking news? We have as much credibility.

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #38 of 128
Color issues on the 5.5 wouldn't be immune to the 4.7. This rumor is out the window with reality.

The 4.7" will move ahead forward, with zero color issues.
post #39 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Color issues on the 5.5 wouldn't be immune to the 4.7. This rumor is out the window with reality.

The 4.7" will move ahead forward, with zero color issues.

Do we know that the 5.5 uses the same materials? Hint - No we don't!

post #40 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Why aren't we getting paid and breaking news? We have as much credibility.

Right, credibility, that's us. I think Kuo manages millions in customer investments.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo: Apple's 5.5-inch 'iPhone 6' faces production issues, launch may be pushed to 2015
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo: Apple's 5.5-inch 'iPhone 6' faces production issues, launch may be pushed to 2015