or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple may ditch longtime ad agency TBWA, look to Beats' Jimmy Iovine for marketing

Apple may ditch longtime ad agency TBWA, look to Beats' Jimmy Iovine for marketing

post #1 of 41
A report on Monday says ad industry executives are speculating that Apple's longtime relationship with agency TBWA\\Media Arts Lab is near its breaking point, with some insiders predicting the tech giant will look to Beats' Jimmy Iovine to revitalize its marketing magic.

According to the New York Post, Madison Avenue executives are giddy over the prospect that Apple may soon ditch longtime ad partner TBWA\\Media Arts Lab in favor of a new agency, with some saying the Cupertino company is looking to Beats' cofounder Jimmy Iovine to reinvigorate the brand's marketing operations.

"Apple bought Beats for a lot of reasons," said one unnamed ad executive. "They think they're marketing geniuses. It is safe to assume Beats would be part of an assessment of all [Apple] partners."

Among other "evidence," ad execs point to email correspondence that came out in April as part of Apple's second California court case against Samsung. In a series of emails, Apple SVP of Worldwide Marketing Phil Schiller expressed concern to TBWA over Samsung's recent rise in marketing prowess.

Specifically, the Korean company managed to gain enough traction that the Wall Street Journal ran a critique of Apple's ad efforts, asking "Has Apple Lost Its Cool To Samsung?" Schiller pressed TBWA, telling the ad firm, "We have a lot of work to do to turn this around."

TBWA\\Media Arts Lab, an offshoot of TBWA\\Chiat\\Day specifically tasked to handle Apple's account, responded with a memo that suggested Apple make sweeping organizational operating changes. Schiller was apparently "shocked" by the response, which TBWA later recanted as "overblown."

On the flip side, a report from June 2013 claimed TBWA\\Media Arts Lab has supposedly been at odds with Schiller's management style since Apple cofounder Steve Jobs died in 2011.

A report from June claimed Apple is quickly building out its own ad team with more than 1,000 hires in sales and creative personnel.

Most recently, a survey looked at the effectiveness of Apple ads over the past year, pitting those made by TBWA against in-house creations from Apple. The study gave higher marks to the outside ad agency.
post #2 of 41

Sure, just show someone wearing gigantic headphones and saying "I am a Mac"...I am sure it's gonna work.

iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.10.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.

iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.10.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.

post #3 of 41

My thoughts and fears are coming true.

When Mr. Job's passed I thought there goes the deciding factor, there goes the tie breaker, there goes the peace maker.

Now rather than one cohesive execution with attention to detail you are going to see more and more fractioning of control.

I don't think it is going to matter how awesome the products are going to be or how they market those products, it is the dirty laundry that has been coming out over the last couple of years that is the problem and is starting to tarnish the brand.

Mr. Job's would never stand for any of this to reach the light of public eye or you were done. I do not see the same level of respect (or fear) for Mr. Cook.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away. - GC
Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away. - GC
post #4 of 41

I have to see the ads Apple comes out with first before I judge. They may be done well. Lord knows they couldn't get much worse than the geek ads... I want Apple to stop doing so many ads honestly. I think fewer location targeted ads is better. 

post #5 of 41

Well the current series of ads are nice, well done, and possibly effective (Really like Parenthood - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmTpgSMJ96c&list=PLHFlHpPjgk713fMv5O4s4Fv7k6yTkXwkV), but there is nothing 'iconic' about recent campaigns. They are just too 'feel good' and 'safe'. Apple's marketing needs a shake up. Mind you, as exciting as bringing in the Apple account might be, it is also a hugely difficult account. It is easy to say a campaign needs to be iconic, it is much different to be tasked with the job. I think Jimmy Lovine would be a great marketing lead.  

When I say 'marketing' I mean the high profile tv spots.

post #6 of 41
I think they need to go back to TBWA, hat in hand. These latest ads are either boring as hell or incredibly obnoxious. If I hear that damn chicken fat ad one more time, I'm going to lose my freakin' mind.
post #7 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGNR8 View Post

When Mr. Job's passed I thought there goes the deciding factor, there goes the tie breaker, there goes the peace maker.

Now rather than one cohesive execution with attention to detail you are going to see more and more fractioning of control.

I don't think it is going to matter how awesome the products are going to be or how they market those products, it is the dirty laundry that has been coming out over the last couple of years that is the problem and is starting to tarnish the brand.

Mr. Job's would never stand for any of this to reach the light of public eye or you were done. I do not see the same level of respect (or fear) for Mr. Cook.

Please don't speak for Steve Jobs. Nobody knows what he would have done. Its not like he always made good moves either so don't act like he's god. 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #8 of 41
Quote:

People have a tendency to see what they believe, not believe they see.

Until this actually happens, you should remember that it's rumor and not fact.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #9 of 41
Quote:

Agreed on the first part

Never a tie breaker, always the decision maker.  HE had 51 percent of the vote in his office, unless you convinced him, no idea moved forward.

peacemaker? Jobs? 

Quote:

I don't think Cook is any better or worse than Jobs was.   

Cook is running  a company arguably 3X times larger that Steve did.   When you had 2 [iPod, Mac] (or 1 as it was the case after steve 'broke the tie' and killed every thing but the Mac HW product line)  products, it was easy to work with ess delegation.  Even in Apple's Functional organization (not product line), there still has to be someone in charge of Marketing... for everything.

Mr Jobs didn't have to comply with discovery subpoena's...  oh, wait, he did, when he had to get someone to draft a 'fall on the sword' memo to deal with the options backdating.   Talk about black eye.

I don't see anything here that tarnishes the brand.  In fact, I think this is a major improvement on the brand, by putting someone in charge of brand, early and often.   As I saw it, I saw 3 or 4 people who could have been infighting over being in charge of brand.  Naming ONE person, and a person that made a 3rd rate set of headphones a must have product in a demographic that in Apple's market they are playing 2nd/3rd fiddle... is a good start to get clarity of message, especially as Apple moves into new markets (home, health, online security).

And to me, if the message isn't clear, This could be a controlled leak on Madision Avenue to see who can be trusted, and get TWBA to understand everyone is replaceable. 

post #10 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

I think they need to go back to TBWA, hat in hand. These latest ads are either boring as hell or incredibly obnoxious. If I hear that damn chicken fat ad one more time, I'm going to lose my freakin' mind.

I thought I'd heard the last of that song when I heard it on Luci's Toyshop in Ohio back in the 60s.

post #11 of 41
Here's what Ken Segall posted on his blog a few weeks ago.

http://kensegall.com/2014/06/apples-marketing-rethink-not-exactly-a-surprise/
Quote:
Jony Ive was Steve’s design soulmate. There was no internal equivalent when it came to advertising. The agency was his Jony.

Of course, Steve had Phil Schiller and others as marketing advisors. But his relationship with the agency was special — forged through many years of history-making ads.

As much as the agency wanted Phil to be happy, the highest priority was making Steve happy.

So it didn’t take a genius to guess that when Phil became the marketing leader, the nature of the agency relationship would change dramatically.

As the new chief, Phil was veto-proof. However, he did not have the same level of taste as Steve. Nor did he have an emotional connection to the agency.

The agency’s magic shield had lost its power source — and the critics inside Apple gained a louder voice.
post #12 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Until this actually happens, you should remember that it's rumor and not fact.

Wise words. I was just about to go off on a massive, wordy rant, but then I realized that this is just another crappy rumor, so I'm not going to bother to waste my time.

post #13 of 41
Wall Street believes the lies and half-truths Samsung comes out with way too much. Where are the truth in advertising folks challenging samsung's garbage? They only attack Apple and are sucked in by samsung's lies.
post #14 of 41
Quote:

It is in terrible taste, because of that song. Where did it come from?

They also should realize that fitness in general is a whole universe of bad taste, and doesn't bear repetitive, high-definition depiction. Right under the surface of this narcissism is a whole bunch of dirty, smelly laundry. It ain't at all sexy, unless you've got some fetish or other. I could go on, but I won't. Sufficient to note that it won't sell in France.
post #15 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Here.

post #16 of 41
Quote:

You know what I think? I think you are completely nuts. That’s what I think. Tarnishing of the brand? Ridiculous. Go back to your post-Jobs spider hole.

post #17 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

Wall Street believes the lies and half-truths Samsung comes out with way too much. Where are the truth in advertising folks challenging samsung's garbage? They only attack Apple and are sucked in by samsung's lies.

Let's see an ad with hundreds of young Korean school children all studying on their iPads, Korean scientists using a Mac Pro, Korean businessmen calling on their iPhones, Korean graphic designers using FCP on their iMacs and a Korean family using Apple TV with a Sharp TV monitor.

Dissolve to the Apple Store in Seoul, full of customers...

Ninety-nine out of a hundred Koreans prefer Apple quality consumer electronics!

Edited by mstone - 7/14/14 at 3:15pm

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #18 of 41
Attention! Attention! The New York Post is NOT a credible source of news.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #19 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

Wall Street believes the lies and half-truths Samsung comes out with way too much. 

By the way Wall Street has nothing to do with Samsung. Samsung stock is not traded in the US.

post #20 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

Quote:

Here.

Thanks for the reference. I'm surprised I don't remember that, as I was in 5th and 6th grade in that era. Weird.

ETA: Usually they're much better with the music. I liked the one where they were pouring the iPhone 5 out of molten gold to that...well, it sounded like a long-lost Canned Heat song, but I don't suppose it was.
post #21 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A report on Monday says ad industry executives are speculating that Apple's longtime relationship with agency TBWA\\Media Arts Lab is near its breaking point, with some insiders predicting the tech giant will look to Beats' Jimmy Iovine to revitalize its marketing magic.

He got $3 billion out of Apple, so he knows how to do something right...

LOL

post #22 of 41
Quote:
They also should realize that fitness in general is a whole universe of bad taste, and doesn't bear repetitive, high-definition depiction. Right under the surface of this narcissism is a whole bunch of dirty, smelly laundry. It ain't at all sexy, unless you've got some fetish or other. I could go on, but I won't. Sufficient to note that it won't sell in France.

Who cares about France? France is insignificant in terms of Apple revenue and they're hardly a good measuring stick for what Apple should or should not do. Apple is into cutting edge stuff, not old world biases and superstition.

You should look at the bigger picture. Apple is obviously leaning pretty heavily in the direction of health and fitness. What do you think that the whole Apple iWatch is going to be about? I bet you that health and fitness are going to be extremely important to Apple's watch. You're only going to be hearing more about health and fitness from Apple, whether you like it or not.

post #23 of 41
Quote:

Quote:

This is very true. The fit young hipster yuppie demographic may be their iconic base, but it represents a very small part of their customers. I predict many will be put off by this kind of emphasis. (Like the 75-year-old lady who took our pictures with her iPhone at our July birthdays party today).

Looking forward, how many even more disgusting bodily functions will the iWatch keep track of, and how lovingly will they be dwelt over in the commercials?
post #24 of 41
Quote:

They also should realize that fitness in general is a whole universe of bad taste, and doesn't bear repetitive, high-definition depiction.

Sufficient to note that it won't sell in France.

Unless of course is is about futbol, French Open or Tour de France

post #25 of 41
Quote:

Looking forward, how many even more disgusting bodily functions will the iWatch keep track of

As many as possible.

I want the iWatch to be crammed full of all kinds of sensors, that are useful of course, not gimmicky crap like on Android.

I predict that the iWatch will be a huge hit, even though I haven't seen the design yet obviously, but that doesn't matter, because it's Apple, and I know that they will deliver.

And also, health and fitness isn't just for athletes or young people that are in a shape. It's for everybody, even for fat people, and it's especially for fat people, because I do believe that most people would rather be in shape than to drop dead early.

post #26 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Wise words. I was just about to go off on a massive, wordy rant, but then I realized that this is just another crappy rumor, so I'm not going to bother to waste my time.

Ever since Jobs died the media has pushed this meme that Apple needs to find somebody to replace Steve as Apple's tastemaker/visionary. They've now anointed Iovine as that person. This rumor certainly fits in with that meme.

post #27 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Ever since Jobs died the media has pushed this meme that Apple needs to find somebody to replace Steve as Apple's tastemaker/visionary. They've now anointed Iovine as that person. This rumor certainly fits in with that meme.

Iovine is a good music producer, I'll give him that. He's worked on numerous classic albums. He's also a successful record biz exec, but so what? What does that have to do with computers or tech?

Beats marketing basically consists of getting a bunch of sports celebrities and minorities to wear their headphones. Hardly groundbreaking stuff.

post #28 of 41
Quote:

Iovine is a good music producer, I'll give him that. He's worked on numerous classic albums. He's also a successful record biz exec, but so what? What does that have to do with computers or tech?

Beats marketing basically consists of getting a bunch of sports celebrities and minorities to wear their headphones. Hardly groundbreaking stuff.

Point taken, but minorities in the US are not necessarily minorities all across the globe. Also, US sports celebrities traditionally have had enormous global cachet. Apple increasingly is a global brand with global product and marketing reach. 

For your sake, I hope you're right.
For your sake, I hope you're right.
post #29 of 41
Quote:

I don't get it. That's why I never supported the Beats purchase. Beats headphones basically mirror what the haters mistakenly say about Apple - that they sell overpriced crap and their success is all due to slick marketing. Why would Apple want to reinforce that false narrative? Having said that I do think Apple's advertising needs a spark. Less serious and more fun (with better music).

Edit: this is what Beats is giving the German football team. Can anyone here ever imagine Apple designing something like this?!? Ugh...

Gold-Beats-Pro-headphones-for-Germany-football-team.jpg?293236
post #30 of 41
Quote:

Edit: this is what Beats is giving the German football team. Can anyone here ever imagine Apple designing something like this?!? Ugh...

[image]

I'm not a fan of gold but the design looks nice. Note that Apple has made gold colored products in the past, under Jobs; none of which I thought were very attractive.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #31 of 41
Quote:

I don't get it. That's why I never supported the Beats purchase. Beats headphones basically mirror what the haters mistakenly say about Apple - that they sell overpriced crap and their success is all due to slick marketing. Why would Apple want to reinforce that false narrative? Having said that I do think Apple's advertising needs a spark. Less serious and more fun (with better music).

No, it needs a couple chamfered edges to make it an Apple design. :p

post #32 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm not a fan of gold but the design looks nice. Note that Apple has made gold colored products in the past, under Jobs; none of which I thought were very attractive.
I didn't like the gold iPod mini. I have a gold iPhone though. Apple got that one right. It's not bling bling gold (like these headphones).
post #33 of 41
Quote:

What the **** is a limited edition that isn't even available to the public supposed to prove, exactly? You're really, really reaching. Also Beats' "Game before the Game" ad was absolutely excellent, and very much like Apple current ads- and a step beyond. It's pretty sad that you have to resort to a gift that the German team is receiving to continue bashing Beats, as if its relevant. Yes, Beats has good marketing and a strong brand. Thats extremely valuable these days. Apple can improve the actual product further, but creating brand loyalty is not easy. The purchase was a good move, but unfortunately you're unable to see the big picture, because you're so stuck on your talking points.  Maybe you eventually will. 

post #34 of 41
Quote:

Way too tacky. Way too blingy.

People who like bling bling and other trashy stuff seem to like Beats headphones. 

Apple needs to make sure that it doesn't get infected by any trashy Bling bling style coming from the Beats camp.

post #35 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

What the **** is a limited edition that isn't even available to the public supposed to prove, exactly? You're really, really reaching. Also Beats' "Game before the Game" ad was absolutely excellent, and very much like Apple current ads- and a step beyond. It's pretty sad that you have to resort to a gift that the German team is receiving to continue bashing Beats, as if its relevant. Yes, Beats has good marketing and a strong brand. Thats extremely valuable these days. Apple can improve the actual product further, but creating brand loyalty is not easy. The purchase was a good move, but unfortunately you're unable to see the big picture, because you're so stuck on your talking points.  Maybe you eventually will. 

I agree.

Beats has always had excellent marketing. That's why they are highly coveted by young adults globally.

Their "Game before the Game" ad was absolutely perfect and it shows where Apple should go with their marketing. The ad currently has over 20 million views on YouTube and over 75,000 up votes. Actually all of Beats ads have gained traction on YouTube.

Its been nearly a decade since an Apple ad campaign made waves like that.
post #36 of 41
Go you chickenfat, go!
post #37 of 41
Quote:

So they're just handing out pretty black girls? lol.gif
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #38 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Go you chickenfat, go!

Lmfao. Reading that out of nowhere killed me.
post #39 of 41
Quote:

ZOMG there's nothing but DOOOOOM in Apple's future! OMGOMGOMG! I can see it now! Mac OS X 10.10 Straight Outta Compton! The finder will be replaced by a simulated DJ turntable.

post #40 of 41

Hmmm...I just have to wonder what relationship there is or will be between Schiller and Iovine.

"You can't fall off the floor"   From 128k Mac to 8GB MBP

"You can't fall off the floor"   From 128k Mac to 8GB MBP

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple may ditch longtime ad agency TBWA, look to Beats' Jimmy Iovine for marketing