or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's new PR chief may be former White House Press Secretary Jay Carney, report says

Apple's new PR chief may be former White House Press Secretary Jay Carney, report says

post #1 of 103
A report on Monday revealed former White House press secretary Jay Carney is not only in the running to take on a job for a communications and public relations expert at Uber, but also for a similar role at Apple.

Former White House press secretary Jay Carney. | Source: WhiteHouse.gov

With Apple's longtime PR chief Katie Cotton now in retirement, Apple is on the prowl for a replacement and Carney is in the running for the position, reports Re/code.

According to the report, Carney is also being considered for a position at Uber, which is currently seeking a communications expert with political chops to help in its fight against the deeply entrenched taxi industry. During an interview earlier in May, Uber CEO Travis Kalanick infamously called the company's opponent "an asshole named Taxi."

Kalanick is now reportedly talking with high-profile political figures with a strong background in government to fill the communications role, which will apparently be key in uprooting the taxi industry and replacing it with upstart Uber.

As for Carney, the former Time Washington bureau chief recently stepped down as President Barack Obama's press secretary in June after having served three years in office. Prior to his time as press secretary, Carney served as head of communications for Vice President Joe Biden.

Apple has been without a head of PR since Cotton left the company in May after announcing her retirement earlier that month. At the time, it was speculated that either Steve Dowling or Natalie Kerris -- both of whom have been at Apple for more ten years -- would be Cotton's successor.
post #2 of 103
It's funny that I watched his face during his press briefings and I said he was going to retire soon. His face just could not hide his lying. I just hope Apple doesn't hire this putz.
post #3 of 103

(deleted)

post #4 of 103
Quote:
whose name is also being bandied about for the other big job opening in tech PR, at Apple
I hope this is just rumor mill BS and not something Cook is seriously thinking about. Presidential spokespersons are just political hacks. Those are the last kind of people Apple needs to be hiring.
post #5 of 103

Holy F*cking Shit!

That damn liar?

I think that he truly sucks. The amount of lies and BS that he spewed every single day was unbelievable.

Why doesn't Apple just hire the former Iraqi propaganda minister? He was at least more funny to watch.

post #6 of 103
This would not be a great hire...they should avoid even the inference of political affiliation (yeah, I get Gore is on the Board, but the board members are essentially invisible)
post #7 of 103
I certainly hope Apple is smart enough not to hire Jay Carney. He would be a terrible choice and it would be a negative for Apple. I would think he was lying every time he did a release.
post #8 of 103
No No No
post #9 of 103

Tim must be drinking tap water. Even the fu**ing guy's name is CARNEY.

Edited by bdkennedy1 - 7/14/14 at 6:05pm
post #10 of 103
what do y'all know about if he would be a good or bad hire for Apple? Silly boys and girls. He was just doing his job at the white house and he actually did it well.. whether you are for or against the white house... if he does his job well, he may do a great job for Apple..

cast aside your biases and look at the experience he has and the CONNECTIONS...
post #11 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Holy F*cking Shit!

That damn liar?

At least I'm glad that he's white, so no dipshits here will be able to pull the race card, because I think that he truly sucks. The amount of lies and BS that he spewed every single day was unbelievable.

Why doesn't Apple just hire the former Iraqi propaganda minister? He was at least more funny to watch.

Right (no pun intended) on cue. Pavlov's dog comes to mind.

post #12 of 103
Quote:

+1 for Baghdad Bob. Though he seems more apt as a Samsung spokesman. "There are no iPhones being sold. Don't believe them."

But in reality, Carney is a terrible choice.
Too many Apple products to list...Long on AAPL, so take what I say with a bucket of salt.
Too many Apple products to list...Long on AAPL, so take what I say with a bucket of salt.
post #13 of 103
But but but nobody else will take the job because of what Dr. Dre's music stands for. /s

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #14 of 103
Apple might as well hire DED. 1wink.gif

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #15 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Castillo View Post

what do y'all know about if he would be a good or bad hire for Apple? Silly boys and girls. He was just doing his job at the white house and he actually did it well.. whether you are for or against the white house... if he does his job well, he may do a great job for Apple..

I'm HOPING that's all sarcasm. The man helped cover up Benghazi. He got caught = he sucks at his job.

post #16 of 103
Please not this man-child twerp. How old is he? 12? He lies like a 12 year old, too.
post #17 of 103
I vote for Baghdad Bob. He'd have more credibility than Jay Carney. 1biggrin.gif
post #18 of 103
Well, if Apple wants to go the spin and disingenuous schtick route, Carney is the perfect man for the job. However, if they want to continue doing business as an open and honest company that makes itself readily available to its customers, they need to look elsewhere.

Ray Castillo: Silly boy. Is that an admission that "the most transparent administration in history" was incapable of engaging the public without smokescreen and subterfuge?
post #19 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I vote for Baghdad Bob. He'd have more credibility than Jay Carney. 1biggrin.gif

Maybe they should ask Dick Cheney he's an honest guy. /s :err:

post #20 of 103
Why would Apple hire a known liar as the face of Apple PR?

What, a younger/hipper PR face for Apple isn't not possible to be hired? Or maybe Apple just really wants to keep that white executive look of Apple in tack?
post #21 of 103
Quote:

Never heard of guilt by association? No matter how you spin it this guy on day one of reporting to work will have over 50% of the country thinking he's a lying slime ball. Why would you want to go there? You mean to tell me there is no one else out there qualified and doesn't carry the political baggage?
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
post #22 of 103
Yahoo! news reported Carney has responded in some variation of "I don't know" over 1,900 times since his first briefing. It was further reported Carney had somehow dodged a question approximately 9,486 times.

I guess we know why Apple might hire this POS.
post #23 of 103

Apple isn't trying to hire Dick Cheney.

post #24 of 103
Quote:

Yeah, the bad kind.

post #25 of 103
F no.
post #26 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splif View Post

Maybe they should ask Dick Cheney he's an honest guy. /s :err:

Last I checked, Dick Cheney was not being hired by Apple.

post #27 of 103
This really stirred up the Delta males, eh? Get out the sticks and the garbage can lids . . .
post #28 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

This really stirred up the Delta males, eh? Get out the sticks and the garbage can lids . . .

You can just imagine how the beta male liberals on here would have reacted if it was known that Apple was hiring somebody who was politically connected to the right.

And this is still just an unconfirmed rumor. I will save my real rage and my real outrage for if and when it turns out to be true.

Apple likes to speak about diversity. How about hiring somebody who isn't a lunatic, lying liberal?

post #29 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

Never heard of guilt by association? No matter how you spin it this guy on day one of reporting to work will have over 50% of the country thinking he's a lying slime ball. Why would you want to go there? You mean to tell me there is no one else out there qualified and doesn't carry the political baggage?

Where the **** do you get the idea that > 50% of this country is Republican?

post #30 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

Wow. Didn't know so many AI commenters were that psychopathic.

There is just a small contingency of AI fans who believe Apple is a Conservative Corporation.

post #31 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

And where did you get the idea that just Republicans have an extremely low opinion of this administration and anybody who is connected to it?

Independents can't stand the extremist in charge either. 

The worst President since World War II, according to a recent poll. Republicans, Independents and more all agree. A few extremist, hardcore liberals are the only true supporters that this corrupt administration has left. 

post #32 of 103
Quote:

There is just a small contingency of AI fans who are mentally incompetent and believe Apple is a Conservative Corporation.
what does that have to do with not wanting Apple to hire a political hack to run their PR organization? Surely Cook can find someone more qualified than Jay Carney. I thought Apple was all about diversity. But I guess what Cook really means is liberal diversity.
post #33 of 103
Quote:

This has nothing to do with Republicans it has to do with fearless leaders approval rating, according to the Gallup Organization, 48% avg from Jan 20, 2009 to present. For you math delinquents that's 52% disapproval which is >50% thanks in part to the administrations mouthpiece Jay Carney.

Scott Forstall tried to pull a Jay Carney coverup with Apple Maps and look what happened to him. Apple needs someone to be able to say repeatedly "Apple doesn't discuss future products or features" just as Jay would say "I don't about that" lying through his teeth and then be a Guy Kawasaki evangelist about things when introduced.
KennDDS
KennDDS
post #34 of 103

Last I checked, Dick Cheney was not being hired by Apple.

Extremist liberals are tragic creatures.

Last I checked neither was Jay Carney.

post #35 of 103
This would be a shame. One step forward for Jay... one giant leap back for Apple.
post #36 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splif View Post

Last I checked neither was Jay Carney. Lighten up zealot.

I did mention in a previous post in this thread that this was still a rumor, so I'm saving my outrage and controlling my rage for the time being.

post #37 of 103
Quote:

Maybe they should hire the head of Sammy PR instead ...mas o menos!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #38 of 103
I am proud to be anAmerican ...

In the last 30 years, or so -- the most proud I've been was 9/12/2001 ..

Before that was some time during the FDR admin during a parade for the "March of Dimes"

post #39 of 103
At least he has a thick skin to go to the Whitehouse press room and become a human shield for the organization.
Besides, PR in Apple is for landing on headlines and connection with worthy journalists, to fight current technology review is based on blogger, whose paycheck are from tech. company ad money.
It is time to retire Al Gore for PR and find someone with that kind connection.
post #40 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

what does that have to do with not wanting Apple to hire a political hack to run their PR organization? Surely Cook can find someone more qualified than Jay Carney. I thought Apple was all about diversity. But I guess what Cook really means is liberal diversity.

Who give's a shit. Yeah, because that is probably the only kind of people that work at Apple, Liberals./s

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's new PR chief may be former White House Press Secretary Jay Carney, report says