or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Apple solves alleged 'iPhone 6' battery issues with new supplier
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rumor: Apple solves alleged 'iPhone 6' battery issues with new supplier

post #1 of 44
Thread Starter 
Alleged problems plaguing the construction of ultra-thin batteries for Apple's next-generation iPhones have apparently been solved after the company brought a new manufacturing partner in Taiwan on board, according to a Tuesday report from Asia.

"iPhone 6" and "iPhone 6c" concepts by Martin Hajek.


Hsin Chu, Taiwan-based Simplo Technologies is said to have been able to craft batteries thin and flexible enough for the so-called "iPhone 6," a feat apparently not able to be matched by current suppliers Samsung and LG Chemical. The report comes via Taiwan's Economic Daily News and was noted by GforGames.

Reports that Apple's new 5.5-inch "phablet" may be delayed first surfaced in April. The device's design is said to call for a battery less than 2 millimeters tall, a significant reduction from the current generation.

Apple is widely expected to debut two new iPhone models this fall, both with displays larger than the current 4-inch unit found on the iPhone 5 series. The new handsets are also rumored to bring an "A8" application processor and a sapphire-covered display, though the latter is a hotly-debated prediction.

Initially thought to launch together, numerous reports have suggested that the 5.5-inch variant may face delays. Most recently, a report from well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo suggested that the larger device could be pushed back to 2015 thanks to problems with the manufacturing of its metal casing.
post #2 of 44
Why do they show a robins-egg blue iPhone 6 when no one has said anything about colors?
post #3 of 44

So an alleged problem has allegedly been solved?  Lets see how many more pitfalls we can drop the iPhone 6 in and pull it out the next day all without any real evidence of a problem or solution.  What a fun game we can all play!

 

As long as the phone releases in September as expected we'll never know if there even was a problem with the battery in the first place (or any of the other alleged issues).  

post #4 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNH View Post

Why do they show a robins-egg blue iPhone 6 when no one has said anything about colors?

Why not? After all, this is all rumor and conjecture, no one knows anything about the dimensions, construction or appearance of the next-generation handsets.

 

This photo is an artist's rendition and may be wildly incorrect with what actually ships. We have seen enough of these artist's renditions over the years and we shouldn't be assuming anything from one of these concoctions.

 

It's not like AppleInsider has a "better" iPhone 6 photo than this one.

 

Besides that, there is a robins-egg blue iPhone 5c, the one pictured about is a hypothetical  "iPhone 6c" if Apple continued with the same color offerings.


Edited by mpantone - 7/15/14 at 7:42am
post #5 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregInPrague View Post

So an alleged problem has allegedly been solved?  Lets see how many more pitfalls we can drop the iPhone 6 in and pull it out the next day all without any real evidence of a problem or solution.  What a fun game we can all play!

As long as the phone releases in September as expected we'll never know if there even was a problem with the battery in the first place (or any of the other alleged issues).  
Pretty soon we'll get a rumor that the rumored delay of the rumored 5.5" model has been resolved. 1biggrin.gif
post #6 of 44
The alleged problem with an allegedly forthcoming Apple product has allegedly been resolved, alleges AI.

Glad we've got that clarified.
post #7 of 44
Wouldn't this be three models ? If there showing renderings of a 6 and 6c but also talking about a 5.5 phablet , widely expected to debut 2 new models this fall seems like everything has been saying 2 sizes and 3 models if they continue the c line of phones
post #8 of 44

What does it really matter? There are multiple theories of what Apple is going to announce, how many different products, what colors, materials, construction, dimensions, time frame, et cetera ad nauseam. 

 

No single artist's rendition of vaporware is going to neatly encompass all existing theories of Apple next-generation mobile hardware.

 

Until Apple actually announces product, it's all rather silly guessing.

 

Just because some guy fires up Photoshop and cobbles up a pretty visual doesn't make it gospel.

 

The point is not to take these concocted images as anything to make a case for or against.

post #9 of 44
Regarding batteries would be nice if they could double battery life.
post #10 of 44

Simplo was able to solve a problem that Samsung and LG couldn't?

 

Since I don't know anything about manufacturing I don't know who any of the players are, but I've never heard of Simplo while Samsung and LG are obviously household names. Of course, the only reason I recognize the latter two names is because of their large selection of consumer products, so that may explain why I've never heard of Simplo, but it seems hard to imagine that the heavyweights, with their huge pools of resources, couldn't solve a battery issue while a company an average Joe like me has never heard of could.

 

Is this just a case of my ignorance of manufacturers skewing my perception, or does it seem implausible? Is Simplo especially well-equipped for battery manufacturing?

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #11 of 44

This rumor was originally delayed by an alleged glitch in an algorithm used by a Taiwanese rumor generation firm, but the problem was rectified so this rumor was ultimately delivered on schedule.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #12 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post
 

Simplo was able to solve a problem that Samsung and LG couldn't?

 

Since I don't know anything about manufacturing I don't know who any of the players are, but I've never heard of Simplo while Samsung and LG are obviously household names. Of course, the only reason I recognize the latter two names is because of their large selection of consumer products, so that may explain why I've never heard of Simplo, but it seems hard to imagine that the heavyweights, with their huge pools of resources, couldn't solve a battery issue while a company an average Joe like me has never heard of could.

 

Is this just a case of my ignorance of manufacturers skewing my perception, or does it seem implausible? Is Simplo especially well-equipped for battery manufacturing?

It could just be that they've hit upon something new - a lot of the time small companies come up with something the larger ones haven't thought of (which is why Apple, Google et al buy them up).

post #13 of 44

Less than 2mm? Ambitious!

post #14 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Regarding batteries would be nice if they could double battery life.

Easy, double the thickness. Sacré bleu!
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
post #15 of 44
Apple goes to more trouble than any other company on the planet to make its smartphones look beautiful. Then it makes them so thin, that the woeful battery life has become Samsung commercial. As a result, customers are forced to pay upwards of $150 for a useful but bland battery case like this one:

http://www.mophie.com/shop/iphone-5/space-pack-iphone-5s

I like Mophie cases. I used to have several of them. But why should I have to buy one to get the battery life I need on the go?
post #16 of 44
My iPhone lasts 3 hours (usage) on iOS 7. Wouldn't it be great if they can double that so I might get to the end of the afternoon. Wouldn't that be innovation at its best?
post #17 of 44
Don't tell me about the pain, just show me the baby.

Quality isn't expensive... it's priceless.

Reply

Quality isn't expensive... it's priceless.

Reply
post #18 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post
 

Simplo was able to solve a problem that Samsung and LG couldn't?

 

Since I don't know anything about manufacturing I don't know who any of the players are, but I've never heard of Simplo while Samsung and LG are obviously household names. Of course, the only reason I recognize the latter two names is because of their large selection of consumer products, so that may explain why I've never heard of Simplo, but it seems hard to imagine that the heavyweights, with their huge pools of resources, couldn't solve a battery issue while a company an average Joe like me has never heard of could.

 

Is this just a case of my ignorance of manufacturers skewing my perception, or does it seem implausible? Is Simplo especially well-equipped for battery manufacturing?

The ability to innovate is not related to the size of the corporation. Small companies are often more nimble and are willing to take greater risks and make more ambitious designs in order to compete with industry stalwarts. Large companies are frequently hobbled by internal politics, complacency, over-aggressive bean counting, and bureaucratic bloat.

 

That's why we have startups. That's basically the true spirit of Silicon Valley, the belief that the IBMs, Fairchild Semis, Intels, and HPs of this world aren't able to come up with bold new ideas like little startups.

 

The main question here is whether or not Simplo has enough manufacturing capacity to supply its customers' needs.

 

I'm not sure if anyone here knows enough about the battery industry to make a informed opinion on the matter.

post #19 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


Hsin Chu, Taiwan-based Simplo Technologies is said to have been able to craft batteries thin and flexible enough....

Assuming any of this is correct, are batteries normally flexible? I've always thought they were pretty rigid components.
post #20 of 44
Any port in a storm...and just to be clear, I'm referring to this story, not Apple.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #21 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Regarding batteries would be nice if they could double battery life.
Sure they could create a brick that was super thick and heavy. Then people would complain about Apple making their products thicker and heavier (like they did with the 3rd gen iPad).
post #22 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple is widely expected to debut two new iPhone models this fall, both with displays larger than the current 4-inch unit found on the iPhone 5 series. The new handsets are also rumored to bring an "A8" application processor and a sapphire-covered display, though the latter is a hotly-debated prediction.

Initially thought to launch together, numerous reports have suggested that the 5.5-inch variant may face delays. Most recently, a report from well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo suggested that the larger device could be pushed back to 2015 thanks to problems with the manufacturing of its metal casing.

No they aren't- there will be one new model.

 

I don't understand why AI is so up on this guy's nuts.  He didn't say anything that other members here (myself included) didn't say days before he did.  We're just as "well-connected" as he is.

As you can see here

 

 

To stay on-topic.  I'd much rather do business with Taiwanese companies than Korean.  They are much better allies to the US.  Yes, I know you international people don't care about that- but to fit into the stereotype- it all needs to be about America all the time, right?  :)


Edited by Andysol - 7/15/14 at 1:48pm

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #23 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

The alleged problem with an allegedly forthcoming Apple product has allegedly been resolved, alleges AI.

Glad we've got that clarified.

That's just a rumor.

post #24 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

Apple goes to more trouble than any other company on the planet to make its smartphones look beautiful. Then it makes them so thin, that the woeful battery life has become Samsung commercial. As a result, customers are forced to pay upwards of $150 for a useful but bland battery case like this one:

http://www.mophie.com/shop/iphone-5/space-pack-iphone-5s

I like Mophie cases. I used to have several of them. But why should I have to buy one to get the battery life I need on the go?

Sammy never lies /s btw, what was the difference in battery life? 10%?

You shouldn't. I don't. I just bring my charger with me or stop using pointless apps if I'm on the go.
post #25 of 44

Oh, no!

 

When Apple will solves the alleged 'iPhone 6' physical keyboard issues?

WHEN?

post #26 of 44
Companies like LG and Samsung [and Apple] just purchase companies with names like "Simplo" if they find profitable ways to solve popular problems.
post #27 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Assuming any of this is correct, are batteries normally flexible? I've always thought they were pretty rigid components.

Battery manufacturers typically use rigid containers for easier handling, user safety and protection for the internal elements. 

 

Most batteries are a combination of metal pieces (anodes and cathodes) suspended in a liquid electrolyte. Theoretically, the battery could be housed in a thin pliable container like a plastic bag. The problem is that careless handling may displace/damage the metal components inside or rupture the container itself. This would be less of an issue if the product is sealed and not designed for end-user maintenance.

 

The iPhone and other devices without a user-replaceable battery typically use battery components that aren't designed for repeated handling: the battery itself plus the connecting wires may be very delicate.

 

Batteries that are designed to be replaced by the user (many phones, camcorders, consumer electronics) typically have durable casings that can sustain regular handling by Joe Consumer, but the battery assumes a certain amount of bulk at the expense of energy-producing capacity.

 

post #28 of 44

Keep in mind Apple's recent (and marvelous) ads showing iDevices using demanding applications in exotic and remote locations. Those people need iPhone and iPad models that can stand up to the demands being placed on them. Foremost among those are:

 

* Long battery life.

 

* Protection against harsh conditions, especially moisture.

 

Apple is behaving like an auto maker promoting a model as great for long family vacations but putting a tiny gas tank in it that lets it drive only a couple of hundred miles between refills. That small tank would be fine for a a little about-town gas sipper. It's not fine for a vacation car.

 

Sadly, there's a part of Apple that still trapped in the mid-to-late nineties when Apple, which had too many models of computers, needed to cut back. Now Apple has a huge smartphone market share, but isn't offering the variety of products that its marketshare demands.

 

Ignoring the 5c, which everyone is doing, all Apple has offered in recent years is their old model and their new model. That's pitiful. They'll soon be differentiating by little more than various screen sizes. That's only a little less pitiful.

 

Apple needs a variety of models that are functionally different but sharing a similar look. When it doesn't, their iDevices get hidden inside various third-party case that tend to look blah.

post #29 of 44
Apple needs to have a fatter, bigger battery (24h) version of every phone... As a huge fan this is my main gripe...

And where is my phone based touch ID credit catf payment system?
post #30 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post

Apple needs to have a fatter, bigger battery (24h) version of every phone... As a huge fan this is my main gripe...

And where is my phone based touch ID credit catf payment system?

Just buy a battery case if you want to carry a giant heavy brick with more battery life instead of demanding Apple makes an entirely new version which would sell extremely poorly

post #31 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNH View Post

Why do they show a robins-egg blue iPhone 6 when no one has said anything about colors?
Same reason they show an iPhone 6 when no one has said anything about an iPhone 6...
post #32 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Less than 2mm? Ambitious!
That's what I thought. Typo?
Let's see, that's about > = < thick! Might this be a step too far.
post #33 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Pretty soon we'll get a rumor that the rumored delay of the rumored 5.5" model has been resolved. 1biggrin.gif

 

Smells a bit like stock manipulation, don't it?

post #34 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

Simplo was able to solve a problem that Samsung and LG couldn't?
Happens all the time! That is why you often see large firms stumble often due to "professional" manager's being decoupled from the technology they are managing. I don't even know if this is true however as a company working with the same vendor's all the time can lead to problems for both the seller and the buyer. I'm glad to see that Apple is agressive in searching out for the most capable suppliers.
Quote:
Since I don't know anything about manufacturing I don't know who any of the players are, but I've never heard of Simplo while Samsung and LG are obviously household names.
Doesnt matter really. Pick up a large phone book from any sizable city in the USA and you will find all sorts of manufacture you have never heard of. Companies like Ford have huge supplier lists that are world wide, each of those suppliers has its own list of suppliers, often the chain can be very deep.
Quote:
Of course, the only reason I recognize the latter two names is because of their large selection of consumer products, so that may explain why I've never heard of Simplo, but it seems hard to imagine that the heavyweights, with their huge pools of resources, couldn't solve a battery issue while a company an average Joe like me has never heard of could.
Again it happens all the time, size is often a disadvantage when it comes to being competitive. It isn't just the overhead or the professional managers (mentioned above) either. Often a winning solution comes down to one guy waking up from a dream saying that is it. It is at times funny but many solutions to problems come after a good night's sleep.
Quote:
Is this just a case of my ignorance of manufacturers skewing my perception, or does it seem implausible? Is Simplo especially well-equipped for battery manufacturing?

World wide id have to say there are probably hundreds of different battery manufactures out there. The vast majority of these manufactures employs at least some custom tech in their manufacturing systems. It isn't like you go out and buy generic battery making machines and have a hope at being competitive.

If you look at other industries there are basically two types of injection molding job shops out there. One that just wants to run your mold base with as little engineering effort as possible. The other would be more technically gifted manufacure that can work with you to solve problems, suggest improvements and otherwise be a partner in your success. Even at the technically capable companies, abilities change as the technical staff comes and goes. Different guys embrace their work in different ways, as such unique solutions often come down to having the right person on the job at the right time.

Speak from experience here working at the lower levels of the food chain often your bigger customers can be ruthless in not tolerating delays. A project can often be moved to a different vendor due to delays of only a few days or in some cases hours. Often it is do or die when it comes to making a big customer happy. I've seen job shops loose customer's due to a machine break down that had nothing to do with the ability to actually manufacture a product but rather the product was just late due to a functional glitch.

It is a dog eat dog world.
post #35 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

Keep in mind Apple's recent (and marvelous) ads showing iDevices using demanding applications in exotic and remote locations. Those people need iPhone and iPad models that can stand up to the demands being placed on them. Foremost among those are:

* Long battery life.

* Protection against harsh conditions, especially moisture.
Battery tech is constantly in flux. It is hard to say if the amp hour capacity will go up or down due to the battery being thin. In the end it is all about tech and the combination that works together to give you better and better performance with each generation of iDevices.
Quote:
Apple is behaving like an auto maker promoting a model as great for long family vacations but putting a tiny gas tank in it that lets it drive only a couple of hundred miles between refills. That small tank would be fine for a a little about-town gas sipper. It's not fine for a vacation car.
Who knows. The leak could be complete BS, or it could be a leak related to a new iPod Touch with the leaker not exactly sure what the information he has is. In the end it is shipping product that counts.
Quote:
Sadly, there's a part of Apple that still trapped in the mid-to-late nineties when Apple, which had too many models of computers, needed to cut back. Now Apple has a huge smartphone market share, but isn't offering the variety of products that its marketshare demands.
Ive been saying that for years. People think the iPhine 4S sells or sold well due to pricing but id be the first to suggest that size had a lot to do with it.
Quote:
Ignoring the 5c, which everyone is doing, all Apple has offered in recent years is their old model and their new model. That's pitiful. They'll soon be differentiating by little more than various screen sizes. That's only a little less pitiful.
5C realistically has been very successful. Often it comes in at number two or three in the sales charts. That is impressive considering that iPhone (the latest version) is usually number one. If the 5C was number one in sales then everybody would have looked at the 5S as a failure. Perception then becomes the big problem with Apple delivering more products or keeping things like the 4S in production.
Quote:
Apple needs a variety of models that are functionally different but sharing a similar look. When it doesn't, their iDevices get hidden inside various third-party case that tend to look blah.

Cases have nothing to do with the need. The big problem is Apple shouldn't abandone run of the mill users for the big hand set crowd. As Samsungs sales show the big phone market is already in decline. Something iPhone 4 series in size or smaller is needed simply to allow for sales to people that don't want the big bricks. Carrying around huge cell phones all day is a problem. So is not keeping products like the 4 series up to speed technology wise.
post #36 of 44
Surreal. The reported problem of the rumored project is fixed by a supposed development.
post #37 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregInPrague View Post
 

So an alleged problem has allegedly been solved?  Lets see how many more pitfalls we can drop the iPhone 6 in and pull it out the next day all without any real evidence of a problem or solution.  What a fun game we can all play!

 

As long as the phone releases in September as expected we'll never know if there even was a problem with the battery in the first place (or any of the other alleged issues).  

This could be fun!

 

Tomorrow:  iPhone 6 delayed due to creating quantum vortex capable of imploding the galaxy

 

Friday:  iPhone 6 rumored galactic implosion issues solved by reorienting the cellular antenna 90 degrees

post #38 of 44
Originally Posted by ChrisNH View Post

Why do they show a robins-egg blue iPhone 6 when no one has said anything about colors?

 

Because there's a blue iPhone 5C.  For some reason, certain people think that there will therefore be an iPhone 6C this year, also with a plastic enclosure.  And once you've built up all those layers in Photoshop, it's probably pretty easy to change colors and textures to end up with faux blue plastic.

 

But really, we all know that the "C" variant is just a plastic case around the previous year's electronics.  So therefore we won't see a "6C" until 2015.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #39 of 44

There are some people snidely suggesting above that no one would want a giant thick brick of a phone to have more battery, but that's not really what we're suggesting. Let's say that the rest of the components in the phone did get small enough to let them make the device thinner. That doesn't mean they should! Why not just keep it at the current thickness that people are already happy with and fill the extra space with more battery? The phone doesn't get thicker, battery life goes up, and everyone's happy.

post #40 of 44
FWIW. . . posted on Amazon Japan but pulled in short order.



According to the listing the dimensions are 130 x 65 x 7mm with the weight coming in at 113g

Fairly iffy perhaps.

EDIT: Source link added
http://www.loadthegame.com/2014/07/12/iphone-6-listed-amazon-japan-release-date-price/
Edited by Gatorguy - 7/15/14 at 5:57pm
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Apple solves alleged 'iPhone 6' battery issues with new supplier