or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Former White House Press Secretary Jay Carney not in the running for Apple's vacant PR job

Former White House Press Secretary Jay Carney not in the running for Apple's vacant PR job

post #1 of 42
Following rumors that Apple might be looking to hire former Obama administration White House Press Secretary Jay Carney for its vacant head of public relations position, the well-connected Jim Dalrymple has squashed those claims definitively.

Katie Cotton speaks with Steve Jobs, Phil Schiller and Jony Ive. Photo via Inc..

Dalrymple weighed in at The Loop on Tuesday with his usual "nope" in response to the story. He then went on to add: "Tim Cook has never even met Jay Carney."

It was first reported on Monday by Re/code that Carney was in the running for Apple's high-profile vacancy. Apple's longtime head of public relations, Katie Cotton, retired from her role in May after spending 18 years in Cupertino.

Cotton was a polarizing figure for the media due to her aggressive protection of Apple and tight control over what information the company was willing to release or talk about with the press. The now-defunct rumors of Carney were also a point of discussion, with people from each side of the U.S. political aisle unsurprisingly taking to Twitter to voice their support of, or disdain for, the job Carney did as press secretary.

It was first reported in June that Cook, Apple's CEO, was seeking "high-profile external candidates" for its vacant PR position. Cook was said to be personally involved in the search, and is allegedly looking to "put a friendlier, more approachable face on Apple's public relations efforts," Re/code had reported.

The position, officially titled vice president of corporate communications, reports directly to Cook. Prior to those reports, it had been speculated that Apple might simply promote from within, potentially selecting one of its public relations veterans like Steve Dowling or Nat Kerris.
post #2 of 42
I knew that story was BS.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #3 of 42
The way it was worded ("bandied about") and the fact it was part of a story about Uber made me quite hopeful it was just the gossip mill run amok. Thankfully that appears to be the case.
post #4 of 42
See? Nothing but smoke. Rumors repeated or sourced from Re/code don't mean squat.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #5 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Cotton was a polarizing figure for the media due to her aggressive protection of Apple and tight control over what information. 

…was released? disseminated? publicized?

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #6 of 42
That's good. I love Apple and buy LOTS of their stuff, but if they drift any further into liberal political commentary/identity with this kind of stuff, I, and probably many others, are going to have to rethink it.
post #7 of 42
Thank God. My wife and I were about to become an Android household.
post #8 of 42
An article scratched on the wall of a Chinese public toilet stated on Tuesday that upwards of 80% of Apple rumors are totally made up. Although everyday readers can usually tell the difference, popular blogs and media outlets are entirely lacking this ability. Citing multiple unnamed sources familiar with top-secret Apple plans and willing to leak them, the article noted that these fictions result in a combination of stock price shifts and clicks on shady banner ads.
post #9 of 42
Well - the original claim sounded like a far-fetched rumor, but confirmation from Jim D. is still a bit of relief.

Especially considering that Carney just left the administration that was recently polled as being the worst we've had since at least WW II. Yep... even worse than Bush! That is NOT the kind of person you'd want for a public face of the most valuable tech company on the planet.
post #10 of 42

Whew, I can finally relax now again. I was about to blow my damn top last night.

If Jim Dalrymple says it aint so, then it aint so.

post #11 of 42
Trial balloon popped. Actually, I think that trial balloon ended up like the Hindenburg.
post #12 of 42

Why does AI use the ancient and outdated Apple logo which was retired last century, instead of the proper Apple logo. What is the reason behind this? Is it ignorance, or is there some other motive at play here?

1976-1998

1998- Present

Is AI trying to be retro or something?

In that case, they might as well use this logo.

post #13 of 42
Probably a rumor started by Carney himself to try and negotiate a higher salary at Uber.
post #14 of 42

All that hyperventilation from the far right (in the previous thread) came to naught..... but it sure was funny watching them getting their panties in a bunch! :lol:

(For the record, I think Apple should stay away from these political types, left or right).

post #15 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubador View Post

Trial balloon popped. Actually, I think that trial balloon ended up like the Hindenburg.

Yup, just like the rooster's crowing made the sun rise....

post #16 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

All that hyperventilation from the far right (in the previous thread) came to naught..... but it sure was funny watching them getting their panties in a bunch! lol.gif

(For the record, I think Apple should stay away from these political types, left or right).
As if we wouldn't have seen the same in spades if the rumor was about hiring someone associated with the right. lol.gif
post #17 of 42
Quote:

All that hyperventilation from the far right (in the previous thread) came to naught..... but it sure was funny watching them getting their panties in a bunch! :lol:

You weren't paying attention. It wasn't just the "far right" (whatever that is to your mind) that opposed Carney. But then I suppose you only see things in some oversimplified binary black and white.

post #18 of 42
Quote:
Jay Carney for its vacant head

Best phrase in this article.

post #19 of 42
Quote:

All that hyperventilation from the far right (in the previous thread) came to naught..... but it sure was funny watching them getting their panties in a bunch! lol.gif

I agree (including board members)! They come with too much baggage.

I think that Apple has always leaned a little to the left -- but, to my knowledge, never tried to impost their views or proselytize anyone.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #20 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I agree (including board members)! They come with too much baggage.

I think that Apple has always leaned a little to the left -- but, to my knowledge, never tried to impost their views or proselytize anyone.

Yeah, Apple makes no bones about being a left-leaning company. Indeed, Jobs was quite openly left-leaning in his views. It has always been that way. (I personally believe that companies should be completely above politics in their public persona, but what employees do in their spare time is entirely their own business).

Apple consumers in the far right fringe must have to live with some major cognitive dissonance.... 

post #21 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie View Post

But then I suppose you only see things in some oversimplified binary black and white.

Um... you should be the one paying attention: I said 'far' right. Not binary in the least. That's at least two shades of black and two shades of white. ;)

post #22 of 42
Quote:

Indeed, Jobs was quite openly left-leaning in his views. 

Jobs also had some views that were definitely not left. He was very much against some unions I recall.

post #23 of 42
Good! Seen and heard quite enough from Jay Carney recently. Tainted with Obama's pall. Give it a rest, dude.
post #24 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Quote:

Indeed, Jobs was quite openly left-leaning in his views. 

Jobs also had some views that were definitely not left. He was very much against some unions I recall.

Yes!

And other Apple CEOs of note: Mike Scott, Mike Markkula and John Sculley, were, likely, right-leaning -- consistent with many executive leaders from industry (in that era)

This is just an assumption -- I don't recall any notable political activities from any of them.

Maybe Apple should emulate IBM in its glory days -- no imposition of politics on its employees, and even-handed support (or non-support) of the major parties by the company and its executives.

post #25 of 42

This seems like a job that can be done by a current higher level executive. Why not Schiller?

post #26 of 42
Quote:

Yeah, Apple makes no bones about being a left-leaning company. Indeed, Jobs was quite openly left-leaning in his views. It has always been that way. (I personally believe that companies should be completely above politics in their public persona, but what employees do in their spare time is entirely their own business).

Apple consumers in the far right fringe must have to live with some major cognitive dissonance.... 
Yep these are sure some left leaning views:

http://archive.wired.com/wired/archive/4.02/jobs_pr.html
Quote:
I'm an optimist in the sense that I believe humans are noble and honorable, and some of them are really smart. I have a very optimistic view of individuals. As individuals, people are inherently good. I have a somewhat more pessimistic view of people in groups. And I remain extremely concerned when I see what's happening in our country, which is in many ways the luckiest place in the world. We don't seem to be excited about making our country a better place for our kids.
Quote:
I used to think that technology could help education. I've probably spearheaded giving away more computer equipment to schools than anybody else on the planet. But I've had to come to the inevitable conclusion that the problem is not one that technology can hope to solve. What's wrong with education cannot be fixed with technology. No amount of technology will make a dent.

It's a political problem. The problems are sociopolitical. The problems are unions. You plot the growth of the NEA [National Education Association] and the dropping of SAT scores, and they're inversely proportional. The problems are unions in the schools. The problem is bureaucracy. I'm one of these people who believes the best thing we could ever do is go to the full voucher system.

I have a 17-year-old daughter who went to a private school for a few years before high school. This private school is the best school I've seen in my life. It was judged one of the 100 best schools in America. It was phenomenal. The tuition was $5,500 a year, which is a lot of money for most parents. But the teachers were paid less than public school teachers - so it's not about money at the teacher level. I asked the state treasurer that year what California pays on average to send kids to school, and I believe it was $4,400. While there are not many parents who could come up with $5,500 a year, there are many who could come up with $1,000 a year.

If we gave vouchers to parents for $4,400 a year, schools would be starting right and left. People would get out of college and say, "Let's start a school." You could have a track at Stanford within the MBA program on how to be the businessperson of a school. And that MBA would get together with somebody else, and they'd start schools. And you'd have these young, idealistic people starting schools, working for pennies.
Quote:
There's nothing wrong with big companies. A lot of people think big business in America is a bad thing. I think it's a really good thing. Most people in business are ethical, hard-working, good people. And it's a meritocracy. There are very visible examples in business of where it breaks down but it's probably a lot less than in most other areas of society.

I'm not suggesting Steve Jobs was a conservative but I also don't think he was a typical liberal. I think Tim Cook is.
post #27 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'm not suggesting Steve Jobs was a conservative but I also don't think he was a typical liberal. 

I agree. It is wrong to declare that Steve Jobs was a typical liberal.

He stood for many things that the left hates.

post #28 of 42
Quote:

Yes!

And other Apple CEOs of note: Mike Scott, Mike Markkula and John Sculley, were, likely, right-leaning -- consistent with many executive leaders from industry (in that era)

This is just an assumption -- I don't recall any notable political activities from any of them.

Maybe Apple should emulate IBM in its glory days -- no imposition of politics on its employees, and even-handed support (or non-support) of the major parties by the company and its executives.
Yes, I personally would prefer if Apple stayed more a-political. It's good business because every company has a customer base with different political views. Being mostly neutral doesn't alienate any of your customers.
post #29 of 42
Quote:

I agree. It is wrong to declare that Steve Jobs was a typical liberal.

He stood for many things that the left hates.
He was probably more libertarian. I doubt he would have let Apple be paraded in front of congress to discuss their tax practices, and I doubt he would have released diversity data on Apple's workforce (which Cook says Apple is going to do). There are a lot of changes Cook has made/is making that I think are the right moves. I like the fact that Tim visits factories in China. I like the supplier responsibility work he's initiated. I like that he visited the corporate campus in Austin (something Steve never did). And I like that he's making Apple more open and allowing executives to have more visibility (seeing Craig and Jony doing selfies with WWDC attendees was very cool). But in other cases I think Apple could do a better job going on the offensive and not letting others create the narrative around the company.
post #30 of 42
Jobs was a closet conservative and didn't suffer fools gladly - meaning Obama. Steve told him he was a "one termer" according to the Isaacson bio. You can't get more liberal leftist than the closeted lefty BHO.

Where's the new Apple TV?

And still waiting for SolipsismX to prove his accusation:
"And yet they haven't loved Google Wallet which you claimed was the exact same thing and kept posting...

Where's the new Apple TV?

And still waiting for SolipsismX to prove his accusation:
"And yet they haven't loved Google Wallet which you claimed was the exact same thing and kept posting...
post #31 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Quote:

Yep these are sure some left leaning views:

http://archive.wired.com/wired/archive/4.02/jobs_pr.html

I'm not suggesting Steve Jobs was a conservative but I also don't think he was a typical liberal. I think Tim Cook is.

Wow! Thanks for that link!

I didn't pay much attention to Jobs when he was at NeXT -- too busy trying to survive in a an increasingly commoditized retail computer business in Silicon Valley. Then we sold the business in 1989 and retired to Arizona -- missed that whole Internet thingie.

Anyway the linked article expose a side of Jobs that I've never seen before. I suspect he was like most people -- left leaning on some topics and right-leaning on others.
Edited by Dick Applebaum - 7/15/14 at 4:23pm

post #32 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

This seems like a job that can be done by a current higher level executive. Why not Schiller?

He already has a job.

post #33 of 42
Quote:

I'm on the right, not far right and I couldn't even watch Jay Carney. That poor guy had the worse job in the world. He would take a beating everyday. 

post #34 of 42
Quote:

Absolutely, and they can start by cutting Al "global warming dead weight" Gore lose.   I mean, what exactly does he contribute to the board?

Certainly not the political pull that normally would justify such an appointment.    When Amazon gets Apple run up on anti-trust, for breaking Amazon's monopoly, you know Apple's political capital is zero. 

So, why give him all that stock?

post #35 of 42
Quote:

Anyway the linked article expose a side of Jobs that I've never seen before. I suspect he was like most people -- left leaning on some topics and right-leaning on others.

Aka a Libertarian.  He believed in individual freedom, both social (Eg: gay marriage) and economic (e.g.: not using taxes to punish success.)

After he died in an interview with Woz, it came out that Atlas Shrugged was one of the books Jobs liked back in the day.

Most people, if they weren't twisted up into knots by the two party partisans would recognize that they are libertarians.

post #36 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessi View Post

Aka a Libertarian.  He believed in individual freedom, both social (Eg: gay marriage) and economic (e.g.: not using taxes to punish success.)

After he died in an interview with Woz, it came out that Atlas Shrugged was one of the books Jobs liked back in the day.

Most people, if they weren't twisted up into knots by the two party partisans would recognize that they are libertarians.

It's people like Glenn Beck who inaccurately self-identify as Libertarians who have mildly tainted the popular notion of what a Libertarian "is"... One clue, it ain't Glenn Beck.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #37 of 42
...Especially considering that Carney just left the administration that was recently polled as being the worst we've had since at least WW II. Yep... even worse than Bush!...

What poll was that and he was worse than Bush or Ari Fleischer?
post #38 of 42
Thank goodness, why pick an ideologue with no tech experience.
post #39 of 42
Despite the denial Bloomberg confidently reports that Carney has been contacted by Apple about the PR opening.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-07-19/former-obama-spokesman-said-discussing-pr-job-with-apple.html
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #40 of 42
Quote:

Whew, I can finally relax now again. I was about to blow my damn top last night.

If Jim Dalrymple says it aint so, then it aint so.

Lol. I've chuckled to myself imagining you with steam coming out of your nostrils, a picture of pent-up rage. 😃
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Former White House Press Secretary Jay Carney not in the running for Apple's vacant PR job