or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple and IBM join forces in landmark push for iOS in enterprise

Apple and IBM join forces in landmark push for iOS in enterprise - Page 4

post #121 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Please, god... don't let there be Lotus Notes on the iPad.

Nah… but Apple will change their Lightning cables to Token Ring.

Boo, hiss
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #122 of 247

I obviously take great delight in the misfortune and misery of others that I don't like, and I just had to head over to the stocktwits stream for BBRY to read the commentary beginning around 4:15 pm, and it is just hilarious. BBRY bulls are delusional, I truly believe that many of them are seriously mentally ill.

I speak out against Apple when I think that they make a mistake, but I will also praise Apple when they do the right thing, and kudos to Tim Cook for this deal! 

iOS has already made massive inroads into business and the corporate world, but this alliance with IBM is just going to further cement Apple's position and it's just going to crush many of the other players in the market! This is damn great!

Apple and Tim Cook were smart enough to know that they could benefit immensely from IBM's expertise and experience in Enterprise. Apple and IBM will be an unbeatable and unstoppable combo for enterprise and business!

post #123 of 247

This is the next step of the post-PC era.

While other tablet makers though the tablet has plateaued as simply a consumer product, Apple knew.

That's why they pushed for the 64 bit A7.  When the rest of the world though 64 bit was a gimmick.  

The two barriers that tablets have to replace laptops/desktops is computing power and enterprise software integration.  With the A7 Apple has broke through the computing power barrier.  A quad core A8 could replace 90% of the laptops/desktops in the workforce right now.  With this IBM collaboration they have address the enterprise software integration issue.

Last year the laptop/PC market had an estimated $300B in revenue.  I'm predicting in the next 5 years Apple will break off a huge chunk of that revenue to iOS devices in enterprise.  I can easily see Apple growing revenue 100% in the next 5 years with this enterprise deal, gaming, home automation, health, and wearables.

My sell target for my 1200 shares of Apple was $105-$110 before this news.  Now I need to run my numbers again.  My preliminary numbers say we see $200 in 5 years. 

post #124 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukefrench View Post

Seriously this is beyond big

Does it improve or diminish my chances of buying a 5.5" iPhone this year? 1wink.gif

The line just got a lot longer ...

post #125 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

The line just got a lot longer ...

It sure has!

I'm not even going to get mad at any scalpers this time around, because that will merely be a sign of the insane demand. And I'm just going to order my stuff online, so they will not affect me at all.

post #126 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharmkid02 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Swinson View Post

Move over Microsoft, Big Blue is back. 
forget about Microsoft, SameSong is pissing in his pant right now 1smile.gif 

To paraphrase Paul Harvey: We can't all stand around in a circle pissing in each other's pocket -- and get relief, thereby.
Edited by Dick Applebaum - 7/15/14 at 7:18pm

post #127 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Sure, that would be their reaction if they, you know, haven't seen a tennis tournament, a golf tournament, the Olympics, the World Cup, or pretty much any major sporting event in the last 25  years.
I'm amazed at how many people on tech sites think a company isn't relevant if they're not selling consumer hardware. I remember when Microsoft announced the devices and services strategy, Microsoft fanboys would go nuts if anyone questioned that strategy or said Microsoft needed to focus on enterprise like IBM, as if IBM was some disease you wouldn't want to catch. I don't get it. I follow sports and practically every other commercial is from IBM and how they're "building a smarter planet". This partnership is huge, and it's amazing that nothing leaked considering they've been in discussions about this for several years.
post #128 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post

Probably not a coincidence that this was announced in the middle of Microsoft's Worldwide Partner Conference http://www.digitalwpc.com/Pages/Home.aspx

This will likely be the talk of that conference tomorrow.
Brilliant. Well played Tim, well played.
post #129 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

You mean iBM.

Yes. That's a lowercase "i". 1wink.gif

You may have something there....... 

Instead of:

IBM's MobileFirst initiative dubbed "IBM MobileFirst for iOS,"

Not very 'Apple'.........

How about:   iBusiness Management.... iBM

post #130 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by foad View Post

Do you have a link to any of the apps? In my initial browse around, I didn't see specific apps. Would like to see what has been done so far.

No. I don't think any have been announced yet.
post #131 of 247
Quote:
iBM
Can't be. That name is earmarked for the feature on the iWatch that monitors your bowel movements. (I'm anticipating the commercial for that with bated breath.)
post #132 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Hell has frozen over.. Crows have turned white.. And Steve Jobs is rolling over his grave.
Steve would be the first one to crow about this deal. This is a huge win for Apple to expand its enterprise operations.
post #133 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Hell has frozen over.. Crows have turned white.. And Steve Jobs is rolling over his grave.

Why so? The Apple anti IBM days go way back to IBM siding with Gates. Funded by IBM, in the early eighties Gates stole the Apple OS to create the crappy Windows OS and IBM stopped IT departments allowing Apple ][s access to main frames. Then, not long after, slime ball Gates having won the battle for main frame connectivity thanks to IBM, stabbed IBM in the back with the 'napkin deal' with Compaq and later all the IBM clones. No wonder that a-hole Gates is so into charity, his conscience must hurt so much.

Long after that Apple and IBM made up and Apple was selling Macs with the IBM Power PC CPU for quite a while. Apple and IBM are made for each other now.

This is spectacular news and is great for the tech industry.
Edited by digitalclips - 7/15/14 at 7:32pm
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #134 of 247
IBM just went from Big Brother to just plain brother.
post #135 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conwaycf View Post

IBM just went from Big Brother to just plain brother.

Actually, li'l brother 1biggrin.gif

Paraphrasing Father Flannigan: He ain't big, he's my brother!

post #136 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

Besides, Southwest Airlines bought Surfaces instead of iPads, so Apple is doooooomed! "IBM? Pfffhhtttt!"

I used to do a lot of editing work on SWA tv spots for their ad agency.  I sometimes got interesting inside information about SWA from the agency people.  I learned that Southwest is unrelentingly PC centric so I'm not surprised they made the wrong decision on tablets.  They must have a bunch of elderly IT managers and directors.  I'm surprised they don't require Internet Exploder to access their website.

post #137 of 247
but but but wait a min I thought about that pic??

lol

Please excuse my lame English grammar. American Sign Language is my first language and English's the second.
Tallest Skill, you can edit my English grammar for me. My English grammar sucks! lol

Please excuse my lame English grammar. American Sign Language is my first language and English's the second.
Tallest Skill, you can edit my English grammar for me. My English grammar sucks! lol

post #138 of 247

Apple and IBM to Google and Samsung, "Hey, shut up kids, the grownups are talking over here".

post #139 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Okay, I guess it depends on how you read it.
Only IBM is going to sell iOS devices with this stuff (this is what they mean)
or IBM is going to sell only iOS devices with this stuff.

The only way you will be able to get the IBM apps will be to buy the iDevices with the apps pre-loaded onto the iDevices directly from IBM sales reps. (read this in another story).

The IT guys LOVE IBM reps and tolerate Microsoft reps, so when the IBM reps pulls out his order pad and says," How many IBM/iDevices do you want?" IT will respond with, "How many you got?"
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #140 of 247

With today's Apple/IBM announcement, I have to think that this is one of the "new product spaces" that Cook indicated Apple was moving into at the beginning of this year!

post #141 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

That sound you hear is Microsoft employees collectively shitting themselves.

The obvious play now would be Microsoft Google partnership
post #142 of 247
This is going to sell a lot of, iPhones, iPads and AppleTVs, said Tim, expansively 1wink.gif

post #143 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

Besides, Southwest Airlines bought Surfaces instead of iPads, so Apple is doooooomed! "IBM? Pfffhhtttt!"
I used to do a lot of editing work on SWA tv spots for their ad agency.  I sometimes got interesting inside information about SWA from the agency people.  I learned that Southwest is unrelentingly PC centric so I'm not surprised they made the wrong decision on tablets.  They must have a bunch of elderly IT managers and directors.  I'm surprised they don't require Internet Exploder to access their website.

Are you sure about SWA buying Surfaces... I'm pretty sure it was Delta that jumped off the wrong side of the bridge...
post #144 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by xerexes1 View Post

Steve would be the first one to crow about this deal. This is a huge win for Apple to expand its enterprise operations.

I agree.  Steve "managed" AT&T into a sweet carrier deal for the original iPhone and that paid off big time.  This IBM deal could be similar in scope and payoff for Apple over the long term.

IBM was probably easier to deal with than those AT&T asswipes.

post #145 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Are you sure about SWA buying Surfaces... I'm pretty sure it was Delta that jumped off the wrong side of the bridge...

I think you might be right.  SWA is still very PC centric internally as far as I know.  Most big companies are.

post #146 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Aside from the tailor-made software, IBM will also offer services like mass device management, security, analytics and mobile integration.

Microsoft's future just snapped into focus for me.  Because now they have something to copy, and not just in terms of OS look-and-feel.  Now Microsoft has an enterprise competitor to mimic.  And if the IBM + Apple partnership is successful, Microsoft is sure to attempt something just like it.

Except for one thing.  Apple is now officially "taken" in the enterprise space.  Who can Microsoft team up with on the mobile hardware side?  Nokia?  Nope.  Already own Nokia.  Plus there's the whole death-spiral thing.  BlackBerry?  Nope.  Death-spiral too.  Oh well.  Microsoft can just write apps for iOS devices, like they already are.  And they can handle the whole enterprise management, analytics, and mobile integration all by themselves.  But, of course, it's too late anyway.  iOS devices already dominate enterprise mobile.  Game over except for the battle for distant second.

We'll see who Satya Nadella lays off.  My guess is that most or all of the hardware division will go (some of Surface, most of Nokia) and maybe some or or all of the Windows Phone and/or Windows RT software division(s) will go.  Best to cut your losses and mimic another successful competitor in your newly refocused market.  And that would be IBM.  They dumped all their hardware long ago, even the CNET-darling ThinkPad line.  (But maybe Microsoft will keep Xbox, just because it's finally breaking even and they can point to it as a "hardware success.")

This move to me seems to be apple recognising that it needs to get into the enterprise space when it has concreted on the consumer space in the past, and IBM recognising it needs an integrated mobile solution.

Microsoft doesn't need to partner with anyone. It has the back end, and importantly the IT departments in its pockets. The IT area only let Apple products in a a result of heavy and sustained user demand, particularly from executives. The current MS message is that the IT gurus don't need to do that anymore as nokia and surface products just use windows and integrate seamlessly. IT heads may not use a tablet, and look at the surface and think it is better because it uses windows.
So they are increasingly pushing surface instead of iPad. This partnership will make that argument harder.
It's the heat death of the universe, my friends.
It's the heat death of the universe, my friends.
post #147 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez Whitey View Post

The obvious play now would be Microsoft Google partnership

I don't think so. Microsoft and Google are enemies on the enterprise front. Google is in the process of stealing MS's Office business.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #148 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I don't think so. Microsoft and Google are enemies on the enterprise front. Google is in the process of stealing MS's Office business.

I don't like Google but I'd have to put that on hold if they can damage Microsoft, then they can fail ... 1biggrin.gif
post #149 of 247
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

WOW.

This is a BIG deal. iOS already dominates enterprise use (for mobile) over Android, BB and MS. Now they're adding an 800lb gorilla to fill in the gaps and round out their enterprise offerings.

I'm also surprised that IBM is going to exclusively sell iOS devices to their enterprise customers.

I'm curious to know who all inside Apple has been involved with this. From what I saw on IBM's website a lot of these applications were co-designed by Apple and IBM. Plus it sounds like some of this stuff will be announced this fall. Maybe we will hear about it at an Apple event announcing an "iPad Pro". Hmm...

One of the early extensions to Swift could be a CICS interface!

When I worked for IBM providing technical market support for CICS, some said that CICS (Customer Information and Control System) was, in reality an acronym for Consistently Ignore Customer Satisfaction 1biggrin.gif

Ben Riggins is BALR 13ing in his grave 1biggrin.gif1biggrin.gif

heaven destroyed by an 0C4?
post #150 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

This is the next step of the post-PC era.

While other tablet makers though the tablet has plateaued as simply a consumer product, Apple knew.

That's why they pushed for the 64 bit A7.  When the rest of the world though 64 bit was a gimmick.  

The two barriers that tablets have to replace laptops/desktops is computing power and enterprise software integration.  With the A7 Apple has broke through the computing power barrier.  A quad core A8 could replace 90% of the laptops/desktops in the workforce right now.  With this IBM collaboration they have address the enterprise software integration issue.

Last year the laptop/PC market had an estimated $300B in revenue.  I'm predicting in the next 5 years Apple will break off a huge chunk of that revenue to iOS devices in enterprise.  I can easily see Apple growing revenue 100% in the next 5 years with this enterprise deal, gaming, home automation, health, and wearables. 

Apple's not doing too bad with MBAs in the enterprise market, with most of them running Windows. However, there's a reasonable chance that desktop computers are seriously on the wane. Even within a large company there's more pressure to attend meetings or go from building to building with your computer, not printouts. Then, if you watched the WWDC keynote, the new iOS and OSX will be able to exchange data via AirDrop like crazy. This mean the IBM Big Data apps locked to the iDevices will be able to create data from the apps and share with all the computers at a meeting, as well as other iPads and iPhones. Someone with just a desktop computer will be the odd man out.

Also, with IBM selling AppleCare there's another reason for enterprise to lean toward Apple MB products. IBM always did a good job of selling service contracts with their hardware and then did a great job servicing the contracts. This becomes especially important for worldwide customers and Apple has the worldwide presence to back up the AppleCare where ever it's sold. ...again Apple has the physical presence with their stores for worldwide service where IBM need not use a competitor like HP to fill in for them. Apple has all the pieces IBM needed already in place.

This partnership with IBM will spur even more development at Apple to expand the partnership even further... this is only the beginning!
post #151 of 247
Any significance to Apple announcing this right before earnings release? Does it perhaps signal a good quarter? Or maybe they announced it now to cover up a not so great quarter?
post #152 of 247
Originally Posted by Entropys View Post

This move to me seems to be apple recognising that it needs to get into the enterprise space when it has concreted on the consumer space in the past, and IBM recognising it needs an integrated mobile solution.

Microsoft doesn't need to partner with anyone.  ...

Two things:

1. Apple is already dominating enterprise mobile.  The IBM partnership will lock that in and shut out Microsoft and Google.  At least in terms of hardware and OS market share.  Microsoft already knows this, and that's why they released Office for iPad after so many years of foot-dragging.  Evidently Nadella isn't as rigidly doctrinaire as Ballmer was.

2. Microsoft doesn't know how to "partner" with anyone, and they don't care that they don't know.  The last time they "partnered" with IBM, they mutated their version of OS/2 into Windows NT, and used the success of Windows 3.x to crush IBM's version of OS/2.  And everyone in the software industry knows that about Microsoft.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #153 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

My Target for my 1200 shares of Apple was $105-$110 before this news.  Now I need to run my numbers again.  My preliminary numbers say we see $200 in 5 years. 

No, in A Year !

Unless Villain's STOCK MANIPULATION INVOKED As Usual !!!
post #154 of 247
Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Doesn't Big Blue still make some big iron?

I thought they sold their x86 server business to Lenovo too.

Yeah.  Thought so: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ibm-server-business-sale-lenovo-213505232.html

Oh, and Lenovo now owns IBM's former server business as well.

post #155 of 247
Quote:

Microsoft doesn't need to partner with anyone. It has the back end, and importantly the IT departments in its pockets. The IT area only let Apple products in a a result of heavy and sustained user demand, particularly from executives. The current MS message is that the IT gurus don't need to do that anymore as nokia and surface products just use windows and integrate seamlessly. IT heads may not use a tablet, and look at the surface and think it is better because it uses windows.
So they are increasingly pushing surface instead of iPad. This partnership will make that argument harder.

While agree with your second paragraph, I don't with your first ...

Apple has done a host of things with iOS aimed at the enterprise for 6 years now. THIS announcement is the payoff for moving all the pieces into place. For IBM the chief reason is knowing they can pre-install their secret sauce on the iOS devices and they are securely fixed there. There are a lot of other things about the iDevices and Apple that make it a good fit as well. Another I'd like to mention is the selection of Apple iPad as the ONLY tablet the GSA allows to be purchased by government agencies...the ONLY one. So, if anyone, IBM included, wanted to promote a special app for the U.S. government they need to consider the GSA requirements.
post #156 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Doesn't Big Blue still make some big iron?

I thought they sold their x86 server business to Lenovo too.
Yeah.  Thought so: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ibm-server-business-sale-lenovo-213505232.html
Oh, and Lenovo now owns IBM's former server business as well.

Only the X86 portion was sold. IBM is essentially out of the market for those smaller servers only...
post #157 of 247
Quote:

This is going to sell a lot of, iPhones, iPads and AppleTVs, said Tim, expansively 1wink.gif

Maybe a smokescreen?

I've read practically every one of the comments about this historic partnership but I've seen no mention of the possibility of Apple and IBM teaming up for payment systems. IBM has supplied and supported many large (and small) retail chains with point-of-sale systems (hardware & software) for many, many years and Apple has the motherlode of credit cards on file*. Is it just me or is there a huge possibility that this partnership's dark horse is the Apple payment system that's been rumored and speculated about?

(edit) *...and takes the point-of-sale mobile with iOS.

Edited by Dickprinter - 7/15/14 at 9:32pm

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

post #158 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Any significance to Apple announcing this right before earnings release? Does it perhaps signal a good quarter? Or maybe they announced it now to cover up a not so great quarter?

It sure would cover up bad news, but Apple's gonna rock the quarter, which will be good sauce to pour on Samsung's goose which was cooked by really bad numbers. By the end of December Samsugn stock will be fit to sell in gumball machines.
post #159 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Maybe a smokescreen?

I've read practically every one of the comments about this historic partnership but I've seen no mention of the possibility of Apple and IBM teaming up for payment systems. IBM has supplied and supported many large (and small) retail chains with point-of-sale systems (hardware & software) for many, many years and Apple has the motherlode of credit cards on file. Is it just me or is there a huge possibility that this partnership's dark horse is the Apple payment system that's been rumored and speculated about?

Excellent point. If Apple has been talking with IBM for several years just to announce this partnership, you can almost bet there is more happening behind the scenes.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #160 of 247
Quote:

How will this make an argument for Surface over iPad harder? Apple's deal with IBM doesn't really affect the typical company running a Windows server, does it?

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple and IBM join forces in landmark push for iOS in enterprise