or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › First Look: Logitech adds to 'case+' system with new 'protection+' iPhone 5/5s case and car mounts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First Look: Logitech adds to 'case+' system with new 'protection+' iPhone 5/5s case and car mounts

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
Building on its recent "case+" system of modular iPhone accessories, Logitech on Wednesday announced the "protection+" slim fit case and two accompanying car mounts, one of which was part of the original $200 set.




Looking first at the new protection+ case for iPhone 5 and 5s, Logitech's offering sports a familiar "slim," open-face format in line with competing iPhone cases, including Apple's own first-party products. What sets the protection+ -- and its "+" product stablemates -- apart is a modular design that uses magnets for quick mounting and accessory swap-outs.




As seen in the photo above, the protection+ features a hard polycarbonate outer shell with an inner rubberized layer and sealed plunger buttons for operating volume and sleep/wake controls. Special inserts made of impact-resistant polymers are placed in all four corners of the case to absorb shocks from drops that could damage an iPhone's screen.

Compared to the surrounding gray rubber material, the neon corner pieces do have a bit of give and are much more malleable.




According to Logitech, the protection+ exceeds the U.S. military's drop-test standard for "rugged" devices, which tops out at 1.8 meters (just under 6 feet) off the ground. Further shielding the handset from shock damage are "impact channels" and a layer of thermoplastic rubber.

In our initial tests, we dropped the case from a height well above 6 feet, with the handset coming out unscathed each time. Whether it landed on its side, corner or face, the iPhone was never jarred out of position. A beveled front front bumper area also keeps the screen safely away from uneven floor surfaces like concrete.




Like the case+ system, the standout feature of Logitech's protection+ case is its modular magnet-based design. While the new protector integrates the same metal plate as case+, the part is hidden beneath a plastic outer shell.




Launching alongside protection+ is the +trip, a mount that clips to the fins of a car's air vents. Like similar products, the clamp portion appears to be constructed of a rigid material with a good amount of rubber molded into a notched "v" shape. Installation was almost as easy as mounting an iPhone with protection+ case, though the handset's weight caused our vent fins to droop.

Depending on your car, the +trip may render an air vent unusable or facing in an unintended direction.




Installed in the protection+ case, our iPhone snapped firmly on +trip's rubberized face, which kept the handset from twisting out of position. The magnet within provided sufficient attractive force to hold the iPhone secure while driving, but not enough to make removal a chore.

Included in the +trip package are two universal adapters, or magnetic plates, in black and silver that can be used with other smartphones not protected by a case+ product.




Logitech is also selling the +drive mount (not pictured), previously only available as part of the original $200 case+ system. The +drive features an articulated twist-to-lock suction cup base for securely latching onto a windshield or dashboard. A universal adapter is included for use with a second smartphone.




Unfortunately, while protection+ is a step toward piecing out the case+ set, the iPhone carrier is not compatible with prior case+ products, including the +energy battery pack, a tri-fold cover called +tilt and the magnetically-shielded +wallet credit card carrier. At this time, Logitech has no plans to sell those accessories separately.

Logitech's protection+ for iPhone 5s and iPhone 5 is available for preorder through the company's online store for $34.99. The +trip and +drive are also up for preorder, priced at $29.99 and $49.99, respectively. All three products are expected to ship in the U.S. and Europe this August.
post #2 of 10
The original set cost $200? For a case and some mounts?
Huh???
This story seems to have been taken from MacRumors except that their story doesn't mention any $200 sets.
post #3 of 10
Yes, $200 seems particularly egregious for what amounts to minimal hardware. I'd look for the Chinese knockoff version for $10-20 (available whenever from your friendly neighborhood pop-up store).
Edited by SpamSandwich - 7/16/14 at 5:50am

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #4 of 10
Has anyone else noticed AppleInsider's ever-increasing emphasis on monetizing their site?

Myriads of ads now encircle the content in AppleInsider, taking up more space than its articles. The articles themselves are peppered in between with ads, and now this latest assault: More ads disguised as Product 'Reviews' which are likely paid for by the company whose product is under 'review'.

This once relatively attractive Apple news source has become increasingly sullied by this emphasis on revenue. The result is a site which is slow to load, slow to reload once returning from an ad-laden article, a site that agresses its readers with this unquenchable thirst for income. In the process, AppleInsider not only sullies and insults its readers, but divulging to us just what they think of us: revenue sources instead of readers interested in the latest Apple news.

I used to arrive here feeling priveledged to the latest Apple news. Now I can't even recommend friends to this site anymore. It's too embarrassing. It feels more akin to wading through a heap of trash each time just to find something worthwhile. Even when you do go away with something, no one's proud of dumpster diving. Uuugh...
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlmercer View Post

Has anyone else noticed AppleInsider's ever-increasing emphasis on monetizing their site?

Myriads of ads now encircle the content in AppleInsider, taking up more space than its articles. The articles themselves are peppered in between with ads, and now this latest assault: More ads disguised as Product 'Reviews' which are likely paid for by the company whose product is under 'review'.

This once relatively attractive Apple news source has become increasingly sullied by this emphasis on revenue. The result is a site which is slow to load, slow to reload once returning from an ad-laden article, a site that agresses its readers with this unquenchable thirst for income. In the process, AppleInsider not only sullies and insults its readers, but divulging to us just what they think of us: revenue sources instead of readers interested in the latest Apple news.

I used to arrive here feeling priveledged to the latest Apple news. Now I can't even recommend friends to this site anymore. It's too embarrassing. It feels more akin to wading through a heap of trash each time just to find something worthwhile. Even when you do go away with something, no one's proud of dumpster diving. Uuugh...

This site is basically a highly trafficked blog, so there has always been a strong emphasis on site revenue. The real reason to come here are the discussions because most of the stories are repurposed from other sites anyway.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #6 of 10
Getting back on topic.....how much weight does this case add to the iPhone? I would think the magnet would be hefty...no?
post #7 of 10
Originally Posted by ericlmercer View Post
Has anyone else noticed AppleInsider's ever-increasing emphasis on monetizing their site?


You don’t come here for the articles; you come here for the forums. We’re great!™

 

And no, AI, you can’t use that one for one of your cycling taglines that you’ll never implement.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1 View Post

The original set cost $200? For a case and some mounts?
Huh???
This story seems to have been taken from MacRumors except that their story doesn't mention any $200 sets.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Yes, $200 seems particularly egregious for what amounts to minimal hardware. I'd look for the Chinese knockoff version for $10-20 (available whenever from your friendly neighborhood pop-up store).
 
The Case [+] for $200 was a really cool concept, I thought.
 
First, the case is $40, and the dash/window mount is $45- so it's $85.  But the $200 Case [+] kit also included a kickstand/earpod case, wallet that clicked on the back, and the [+] energy- which was a battery pack/battery backup.
 
Not saying its a great price, but it's not as bad as it sounds. This article shouldn't even have mentioned the $200, because it doesn't paint the whole picture.

 

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/case-plus-the-story


Edited by Andysol - 7/16/14 at 9:25am

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #9 of 10
Anyone interested in this should look at a mountek. It's 1/10 the price @~$20, comes with a metal plate that can be slapped on (or in the case of my wife's iPhone, *inside* an existing case), and works with your CD slot - which almost every car has.

http://www.mountek.com/press/2013/12/12/ngroove-snap-2-mountek-debuts-next-gen-hands-free-/

It's also easy to install (takes 10 seconds), can be reused as a table mount, and is highly portable (I throw it in my carryon for all flights so I can use in my rental car when I touchdown).

It's my 2nd most favorite purchase in the past month (my fav is the melissa and doug wooden puzzle box - kids love it).

I can't believe Logitech actually believes their product is worth 10x that.
Edited by r00fus - 7/16/14 at 1:17pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:
Has anyone else noticed AppleInsider's ever-increasing emphasis on monetizing their site?


You don’t come here for the articles; you come here for the forums. We’re great!™

And no, AI, you can’t use that one for one of your cycling taglines that you’ll never implement.

Careful you don't step on Frosties' toes.
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Reply
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • First Look: Logitech adds to 'case+' system with new 'protection+' iPhone 5/5s case and car mounts
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › First Look: Logitech adds to 'case+' system with new 'protection+' iPhone 5/5s case and car mounts