or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › NFL Sunday Ticket coming to iOS, Mac for 2014 season with no satellite subscription needed

NFL Sunday Ticket coming to iOS, Mac for 2014 season with no satellite subscription needed

post #1 of 70
Satellite television provider DirecTV looks set to offer a standalone subscription to its popular NFL Sunday Ticket package for the first time, meaning cord-cutting football fans can follow the action this fall on their iPhone, iPad, or Mac without mounting a dish to their roof.

No official announcement has been made, but a promotional page for the new offering has appeared at NFLSundayTicket.tv. The company says viewing will be limited to out-of-market games when it begins on Sept. 7, but the popular Red Zone channel is included. AppleInsider was first tipped to the page by reader Sean.

"Now you can access live, out-of-market NFL games without a DIRECTV satellite TV account--no matter what team you follow," the site reads. "NFLSUNDAYTICKET.TV lets you stream games on your computer, tablet, phone, or game console. All while keeping up with real-time player stats and your fantasy teams."

A $199.99 subscription will grant access via Sunday Ticket apps on mobile devices and personal computers, while access on gaming consoles will require a $239.99 subscription. The most expensive tier, at $329.99, combines the two and adds access to Red Zone and the new Fantasy Zone channel.

There is no word yet on whether subscribers will be able to use Apple's AirPlay technology to stream games on their television from an iOS device. Current versions of the Sunday Ticket app are not AirPlay-enabled, but it is possible that the new subscription packages will change that.

The ability to subscribe to NFL Sunday Ticket without a corresponding DirecTV subscription is a major victory for would-be cord cutters, who often cite live sporting events as the number one reason for keeping an active television subscription. A similar package was previously available only to consumers who could not be connected to DirecTV because of coverage issues, though the company did trial a more wide-open subscription model last year in a partnership with the Madden NFL franchise.
post #2 of 70
The current Directv app doesn't support AirPlay so I won't be surprised if this doesn't either.
post #3 of 70
I will be getting this, excited they finally did this.

Plan on buying an Apple TV after their fall announcements, hope Airplay support is added.
post #4 of 70
Kinda lost interest when I read "A $199.99 subscription will grant access via Sunday Ticket ..."

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #5 of 70
this isn't new. I used my ps3 to stream it for 2 years, and last year just hooked my laptop up to my tv to stream the games. week one is ALWAYS a disaster for some reason and then they figure everything out. quality isn't that great, but it's better than paying for directv.
post #6 of 70

*Starting at $199?*

No thanks. I'll just stick to the highlight reels.

post #7 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Kinda lost interest when I read "A $199.99 subscription will grant access via Sunday Ticket ..."

I don't have a cable subscription but I add Uverse to my internet package during the 4-5 months of football season. So $199 isn't bad. Also curious what the student discount will be.

The unfortunate thing; however, is it blacks out local teams. That's the only reason I don't subscribe to MLBTV.

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #8 of 70

HELL YES!!!!

I"m loving this

Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
post #9 of 70
Sweet mother of god. Never thought I'd live to see the day.

Yes, airplay most important; and/or a AppleTV app. The list of supported devices link isn't accessible. I wonder if AppleTV is behind there?

The local blackout is a NFL rule, so that isn't going to change. When it is lifted for a sellout (or when the league feels it is appropriate), OTA broadcast would be available.
post #10 of 70

Boy, that's more than I paid for the NFL GamePass which includes every single game, NFL Redzone, the NFL Network (including A Football Life and other original programming), every game from the past season and select past Super Bowls. Good to be a non-US citizen I guess. 

post #11 of 70
I don't watch much sports so excuse the ignorance but is this a good deal? $199 sounds like a lot for just one section of tv watching.
post #12 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

Yes, airplay most important; and/or a AppleTV app. The list of supported devices link isn't accessible. I wonder if AppleTV is behind there?

The local blackout is a NFL rule, so that isn't going to change. When it is lifted for a sellout (or when the league feels it is appropriate), OTA broadcast would be available.

If it's not Airplay compatible you might still be able to do so via a cheap Chromecast. I found a few threads that indicate it can work, even streaming from a Mac.
melior diabolus quem scies
post #13 of 70
I got the Madden deal last year. I bought the PS3 game through Amazon, paid $99, and it included NFL Sunday Ticket. The video game itself would have been $60, so it was a great deal. You didn't need a satellite sub (I am a cord cutter) and I was able to mirror my iOS devices to my Apple TV. It wasn't "airplay enabled" in that you had to mirror, but that's not a big deal - just a little bit of lag. It was a sweet deal - I hope they do it again.
post #14 of 70
Great timing! We're cutting the cord this August
post #15 of 70

Too busy courting IBM to think about negotiating NFL Sunday Ticket support for the Apple TV platform?

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

post #16 of 70
Fine print says limited by zip code. I'm not sure what that means, but my NW GA Zip wasn't eligible.
post #17 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

If it's not Airplay compatible you might still be able to do so via a cheap Chromecast. I found a few threads that indicate it can work, even streaming from a Mac.

You can Mirror to the Apple TV from a Mac to watch it.  Go peddle your Google crap elsewhere.

Why would anyone want to invest a penny in Google's ridiculous- change every 6 months- joke of a television platform?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Too busy courting IBM to think about negotiating NFL Sunday Ticket support for the Apple TV platform?

It technically isn't common knowledge or announced- just a leak.  For all we know it was going to be announced after a new ATV this year (maybe???)

post #18 of 70
I just tried to do this. IT'S CRAP!!!!! Only people who "can't" receive Directv in their home are eligible. We're still stuck with the dish if you want NFLST.
post #19 of 70
What's the point in discriminating against certain devices with this pricing? Why is a console higher than streaming to the PC, tablet, or iphone?

And why is adding all devices 100$ more than the basic service? If all IP traffic is to be treated equally, why is pricing different for certain devices with a NIC card?
post #20 of 70
Under requirements:

"Download and install FlashPlayer10" 1bugeye.gif
post #21 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

You can Mirror to the Apple TV from a Mac to watch it.  Go peddle your Google crap elsewhere.

Then you obviously won't need to use a Chromecast. Unlike you the article's author was not sure if it will be compatible with iOS and Airplay or not, thus the OP's question. Fortunately we have you to clear it all up. 1rolleyes.gif
post #22 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

There is no word yet on whether subscribers will be able to use Apple's AirPlay technology to stream games on their television from an iOS device.

Quote:

Then you obviously won't need to use a Chromecast. Unlike you the article's author was not sure if it will be compatible with iOS and Airplay or not, thus the OP's question. Fortunately we have you to clear it all up. 1rolleyes.gif

News flash: OSX isn't iOS

There is nothing you can't mirror from a Mac.  Of course you wouldn't mention that you can mirror from Mac to ATV- Both devices he has currently.  Instead, you'll spout off Chromecast as a "cheap" alternative- as if anyone wants that garbage on this forum.

Shoo Fly- don't bother us.

post #23 of 70
Quote:

There is nothing you can't mirror from a Mac.  Of course you wouldn't mention that you can mirror from Mac to ATV- Both devices he has currently.  Instead, you'll spout off Chromecast as a "cheap" alternative- as if anyone wants that garbage on this forum.

Also, you can mirror anything from any iOS devices if you also have AppleTV.  It's not a "pure" Airplay, but it works just the same.  Just turn on the "mirroring" on Airplay setting and you're good to go.

post #24 of 70
Quote:

Do you get bonus points for every insult you deliver? If so you're making a killing. If you had bothered to read my post at all before spouting off you would have seen these as the first 5 words:
"If it's not Airplay compatible".

You get your dander up much too easily.
post #25 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuniverse View Post

Also, you can mirror anything from any iOS devices if you also have AppleTV.  It's not a "pure" Airplay, but it works just the same.  Just turn on the "mirroring" on Airplay setting and you're good to go.

The articles author was unsure on that point.

"There is no word yet on whether subscribers will be able to use Apple's AirPlay technology to stream games on their television from an iOS device. Current versions of the Sunday Ticket app are not AirPlay-enabled, but it is possible that the new subscription packages will change that."
post #26 of 70
As usual the deal breaker is the 'out-of-market' clause. 
post #27 of 70
Quote:

The articles author was unsure on that point.

"There is no word yet on whether subscribers will be able to use Apple's AirPlay technology to stream games on their television from an iOS device. Current versions of the Sunday Ticket app are not AirPlay-enabled, but it is possible that the new subscription packages will change that."

Actually, even if the app isn't Airplay compatible, you can "force" mirroring (which means anything on your iOS screen is displayed on your TV through AppleTV) on your TV.  The resolution is usually not as good as pure AirPlay, but you get the idea.

post #28 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

Clicking on the 'supported devices" link gives this.

iPad
iPad (iOS v5.1.1 or higher)
iPad 2 (iOS v6.1.3 or higher)
iPad 2 3G (iOS v6.1.3 or higher)
iPad 3 (iOS v6.1.3 or higher)
iPad 3 3G (iOS v6.1.3 or higher)
iPad 4 (iOS v7 or higher)
iPad Mini (iOS v6.1.3 or higher)
iPhone
iPhone 3GS (iOS v5 and above)
iPhone 4 (iOS v5.1and above)
iPhone 4S (iOS v6.1.3 and above)
iPhone 5 (iOS v6.0.2 and above)
iPod (iOS v5.0.1 and above)

Kindle
Kindle Fire HD 7", 8.9" and 10"
Kindle Fire HDX
Microsoft XBOX Microsoft XBOX 360
Microsoft XBOX One
Sony Playstation
Sony PS3
Sony PS4

System Requirements for PC For the optimal NFL SUNDAY TICKET Online experience, you will need the following: Computer operating system: Windows 2000, XP, Vista or Mac OS X v.10.4.10 or v.10.5 or later.

Computer hardware:
Windows: Intel® Pentium® 2.0 GHz or faster processor, 512 MB of RAM; 32 MB video RAM, 16 bit sound card and speakers; 65k video display card; Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 or Windows XP SP2 or Vista

Macintosh: PowerPC® G4 1.8GHz GHz or faster processor or Intel Core" Duo 1.33GHz or faster processor; 256 MB RAM; 32 MB video RAM; Mac OS X v.10.4.10 or v.10.5 (Intel or PowerPC)

Internet connection: at least 360 kbps

Additional software:
Download and install Adobe's Flash Player 10
post #29 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuniverse View Post

Actually, even if the app isn't Airplay compatible, you can "force" mirroring (which means anything on your iOS screen is displayed on your TV through AppleTV) on your TV.  The resolution is usually not as good as pure AirPlay, but you get the idea.

Thanks. Both a helpful and polite response.
post #30 of 70
Quote:

I don't have a cable subscription but I add Uverse to my internet package during the 4-5 months of football season. So $199 isn't bad. Also curious what the student discount will be.

The unfortunate thing; however, is it blacks out local teams. That's the only reason I don't subscribe to MLBTV.

For $200 you should have access to every sport under the sun.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #31 of 70

Without either AirPlay or an Apple TV "channel", this is dead in the water. Imagine inviting your friends over to watch the games and then having to huddle around an iPad.

post #32 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmythe00 View Post

I don't watch much sports so excuse the ignorance but is this a good deal? $199 sounds like a lot for just one section of tv watching.

I don't like it either, but now people are going to start understanding why "a-la-carte" cable TV is a bag of hurt. I never watch most of the channels in my cable package, but the people who do are subsidizing the channels I watch. And vice versa. Again, there's got to be a better way, but for all the people claiming to want to "only pay for the channels I watch," well, be careful what you wish for.
post #33 of 70

What is a difference between World Cup Final and Super Bowl?

One is watched for the game, the other - for commercials :)

post #34 of 70

Ok….Why isn't airplay allowed to work with some apps? What is the big deal? Why, why, why would it be any different watching content on my 4 inch iPhone screen or beaming it to my 70" TV ?

One thought he was invincible... the other thought he could fly.

They were both wrong.

One thought he was invincible... the other thought he could fly.

They were both wrong.

post #35 of 70
What a racket the NFL's got going, but people just keep forking the money over.
Edited by bdkennedy1 - 7/16/14 at 2:13pm
post #36 of 70

I don't think this is anything new.  In past years, Sunday Ticket has been available online to those who cannot get satellite service.

From their FAQ on this page:

"At this time, NFLSUNDAYTICKET.TV is available to people in select areas, residence types, and enrolled in select universities. To find out if you're eligible to purchase it, visit NFLSUNDAYTICKET.TV and click Get Started."

I put in my address and a few others and none are eligible.  Unfortunately, it appears nothing has changed.

post #37 of 70
Consider that ESPN adds over $6 per month per cable subscriber (so $72 a year) and EPSN only carries 18 or so games.

$4/game

NFL Season Ticket: $199 (basic package) 256 games - blacked out locals = 240

$0.83/game

decent savings, no?

Personally, i don't care about sports enough to get more than is available OTA (except for MotoGP, which already allows me to purchase the season) but for someone who loves the NFL, it is not too shabby.
post #38 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex101 View Post

...Good to be a non-US citizen I guess. 

yes it is.

negotiations between the NFL and the likes of Comcast and Time Warner cable are always interesting - behemoth corporations with too much profits fighting to control content and competitors.

post #39 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

What a racket the NFL's got going, but people just keep forking the money over.

At least the NFL pays the athletes they make billions off of.

Imagine what it is like to be your average college football player who is required to practice/train 40+ hours a week and receive a yearly scholarship worth < $50,000 a year (at most schools) while the NCAA makes billions off you.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/01/opinion/nocera-unionized-college-athletes.html

post #40 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandor View Post

At least the NFL pays the athletes they make billions off of.

Imagine what it is like to be your average college football player who is required to practice/train 40+ hours a week and receive a yearly scholarship worth < $50,000 a year (at most schools) while the NCAA makes billions off you.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/01/opinion/nocera-unionized-college-athletes.html

Yea the free education, free room and board, free food, free tutoring, free workouts and medical attention, free per diem pocketed money on road trips and the free gifts at bowl games are such a rip off! Not to mention, these guys don't have student loans and make more connections than any other normal student for post football careers. They sure are being taken advantage of!

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • NFL Sunday Ticket coming to iOS, Mac for 2014 season with no satellite subscription needed
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › NFL Sunday Ticket coming to iOS, Mac for 2014 season with no satellite subscription needed