or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft to ax 18,000 jobs this year, laying off more than 14% of total workforce
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Microsoft to ax 18,000 jobs this year, laying off more than 14% of total workforce - Page 3

post #81 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboba1 View Post

But it's still 5500 that weren't from Nokia, which still rivals their biggest layoff ever.

I'd rather see their marketing dept get a big hit than their GUI people. Most of them are following directives, and they don't need to concentrate on marketing their products. They need to make better ones.

I would expect so... I mean, they got around 30,000 Nokia people (somewhere else it was mentioned that number was around 25,000) and axed 12,500 out of that... so they still keep 12 - 17,000 Nokia people. I don't think that there are that many people developing Nokia hardware and firmware, so I'd say they are keeping some other Nokia guys and gals - marketing, HR, logistic, whatnot.

Which means that some of MS staff with same roles are extras. That would make sense to me - I'd rather keep Nokia marketing than MS's own marketing people, simply based on my preference for adds released in a last few years.

Eventually, MS workforce did grow between 6 and 12,000, however you turn it. I really cannot see this the same way as when BB and others cut staff.
post #82 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonPedro View Post


Are you really that ignorant. Losing jobs is fun for you I guess. You claim you are using Apple products since II,  so you may remember when Apple was laying off people and kissed M$ a$$ for $150 000 000. Great feeling, don't you agree

I don't just 'claim'. I owned an Apple Dealership so I didn't just use them I had a warehouse full of them. I suspect from your grammar you are not a native English speaker so perhaps you misunderstood me.

To correct your grasp of history, I remember Gates buying into APPL in return for Steve dropping the law suit agaist MS caught red handed reverse engineering Quicktime for their Windows Media Player. It was a mutual win win and good PR.
Edited by digitalclips - 7/18/14 at 6:22am
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #83 of 104

They took on 28,000 new workers when they got Nokia, they reducing18k. In the end the workforce will be 10k higher. No idea how this show doom for Microsoft

post #84 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by agramonte View Post
 

They took on 28,000 new workers when they got Nokia, they reducing18k. In the end the workforce will be 10k higher. No idea how this show doom for Microsoft

Why buy 28,000 when you only need 10,000?  Or maybe Nutella being CEO has changed course - in other words, we don't think we can make money in the phone industry like we thought we could (his words). 

post #85 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


So that's why Microsoft stock is at a 14 year high right now?

They haven't reached their highs from before the Ballmer era.  In short, under Ballmer Microsoft dropped 33% in the stock market, now it's back up 22%.  Basically, Nutella is cleaning up Ballmer's mess.  Compare that to Apple, who've skyrocketed far past in the same time period.. they're wiping the floor with a company that is just battling to stay even.  That's what my original comment meant, for those that can't see or don't wish to. :D

post #86 of 104
Please Microsoft before you let go this great workers take a big chunk of the salarie of Ex CEO,
He make millions is time to take back that salarie for this workes, if he can buy a basket ball team he can save this great workers.
Came save this workers and left the ex CEO with dimes and Nichols ....
post #87 of 104
No more Microsoft , is over welcome to apple
post #88 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


I don't just 'claim'. I owned an Apple Dealership so I didn't just use them I had a warehouse full of them. I suspect from your grammar you are not a native English speaker so perhaps you misunderstood me.

To correct your grasp of history, I remember Gates buying into APPL in return for Steve dropping the law suit agaist MS caught red handed reverse engineering Quicktime for their Windows Media Player. It was a mutual win win and good PR.


You are correct that it was a win win. Here is a quote from the CFO at this time:

 

"This deal strengthens Apple's viability. It's a new era in terms of Apple and Microsoft working together," said Apple chief financial officer Fred Anderson

 

So perhaps "kiss a$$" was a bit uncalled for. There were probably some mutual kisses

 

Anyway, I still find gloating about the misfortune of regular people done in the name of some corporation is not a good style. One has to experience it to understand it. Peace

post #89 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliealebrije View Post

No more Microsoft , is over welcome to apple

 

It's fun to joke but you defiantly don't want to live in a windowless world.

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #90 of 104
Originally Posted by Relic View Post
It's fun to joke but you defiantly don't want to live in a windowless world.

 

 

If we already live in a world without walls, why do you need windows?

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #91 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post




If we already live in a world without walls, why do you need windows?

Ha, oh that's good too.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #92 of 104

No joke maybe if you be one of the ones getting to be laid off you would not joke about it. No humor here at all.

post #93 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

No joke maybe if you be one of the ones getting to be laid off you would not joke about it. No humor here at all.

Nadella has no real choice in the matter. Correct the past mistakes or the company eventually dies.
Edited by SpamSandwich - 7/19/14 at 7:41am

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #94 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliealebrije View Post

Please Microsoft before you let go this great workers take a big chunk of the salarie of Ex CEO,
He make millions is time to take back that salarie for this workes, if he can buy a basket ball team he can save this great workers.
Came save this workers and left the ex CEO with dimes and Nichols ....

^^^This.
Looks like tastowe created a sock account.
You're not fooling anyone.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #95 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post


^^^This.
Looks like tastowe created a sock account.
You're not fooling anyone.

What's a sock account?

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #96 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

^^^This.

Looks like tastowe created a sock account.

You're not fooling anyone.
What's a sock account?

It's when you create a secondary account and sometimes use it to backup something you said under a different account, like your other account here:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/150212/ios-developers-not-concerned-about-apple-making-a-larger-iphone-screen/40#post_2113701

It's like a sock puppet act or ventriloquist. The other account is still you but you make it look to other people like it's a whole new identity. Anyway, that above account doesn't link up to tastowe, might be someone else though.
post #97 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


It's when you create a secondary account and sometimes use it to backup something you said under a different account, like your other account here:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/150212/ios-developers-not-concerned-about-apple-making-a-larger-iphone-screen/40#post_2113701

It's like a sock puppet act or ventriloquist. The other account is still you but you make it look to other people like it's a whole new identity. Anyway, that above account doesn't link up to tastowe, might be someone else though.

 

That's a bit sociopathic isn't it, wow, people actually do this?

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #98 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

That's a bit sociopathic isn't it, wow, people actually do this?

Other than Sammy? Yes, the internet.
post #99 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliealebrije View Post

Please Microsoft before you let go this great workers take a big chunk of the salarie of Ex CEO,
He make millions is time to take back that salarie for this workes, if he can buy a basket ball team he can save this great workers.
Came save this workers and left the ex CEO with dimes and Nichols ....

 

Yes, and all your base are belong to us.

post #100 of 104

I sincerely believe the company will not die.Tim Cook is trying his hardest to make this company into something special.

post #101 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

I sincerely believe the company will not die.Tim Cook is trying his hardest to make this company into something special.

Eh?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #102 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by elehcdn View Post

I am surprised that the mainstream media hasn't come out and said that since MS is having to layoff its workforce, Apple is dead.

Usually this news = Apple Death Knell +1 1wink.gif

I do truly feel sorry for the employees.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #103 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

^^^This.

Looks like tastowe created a sock account.

You're not fooling anyone.
What's a sock account?

It's an account created in order to show how well you can put your foot in it.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #104 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

I sincerely believe the company will not die.Tim Cook is trying his hardest to make this company into something special.

Oh, sure. I don't think Apple is ready to die just yet.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft to ax 18,000 jobs this year, laying off more than 14% of total workforce